Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Open mouth, insert foot, bash a few times with sledgehammer to make sure it's securely in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ah yes, the centrist sniveling Prince Who Was Promised :jerkbag:

Why is everyone so stupid? Have they forgotten DACA got decided by the courts? It's not even on the table

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lots(Two) of reporters(and cameramen) here are wondering if Jared...

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
edit - wrong tweets.

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1083061115410677761

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1083084215988731904

Nice to see the piss baby saying his emergency is pure political bullshit.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 9, 2019

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Yes, the Republican Party is very, very unified. That's why every day more GOP Senators are signaling that they would vote in favor of the spending bills coming out of the House, because the Republicans are very, very unified.

It's gotten to the point where if Trump told me the sky was blue, I'd have to go outside to check for myself. He lies so freely and so easily that it's beyond frightening.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Latest poll numbers say 51% of Americans blame Trump for the shutdown. That's up since last month.

A couple of Republican Senators are ready to vote with the Democrats.

This is going to go sideways quick.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Retro42 posted:

Yeah, my info is based on master calendar hearings and the like getting pushed back obscene amounts of time. Things aren’t THAT bad yet (from a standard immigration court is always a mess context) but it’s getting messier by the moment.

Yeah that makes sense.

Which is god drat infuriating now that I think about it, since it's also pushing back bond eligibility hearings (unless the ruling on timely ones is still being upheld) which when combined with that article posted before about ICE just rigging their algorithm to spit out "DETAIN" determinations...

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I wonder if the steel/concrete tangent is a result of briefers giving up at trying to explain to him what the issue is in terms he can understand.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/1083122505475391488

just lmao

"what about 31 days?!"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh god we're doomed.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I liked this article on burnout in millenials because despite it being a lot of navel gazing, it had some pretty solid points. I definitely have felt some major burnout in what was basically my childhood, because everything was structured in a way that had you either progressing towards a good career or failing in that duty. "Unstructured time" is seen as a detriment that can drag you down because you aren't doing enough to make it.

The biggest sign of this for me (besides decades of depression) is that up until university I was an avid reader. I loveeeed books. I have maybe read five books since then, 10 years ago, because *still* I have an ingrained sense of *shame* that comes from reading, since if I am reading for fun then I could be reading for work and studying like I should do for my career. Everyone that I know (mostly STEMlords like myself) have had the same experience. It's so weird and yet seems to be the same across the board.

Reading will help you develop your empathy, which is a good skill to have in any career. Now stop feeling ashamed about a good, fun and healthy thing to do.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

CuddleCryptid posted:

I liked this article on burnout in millenials because despite it being a lot of navel gazing, it had some pretty solid points. I definitely have felt some major burnout in what was basically my childhood, because everything was structured in a way that had you either progressing towards a good career or failing in that duty. "Unstructured time" is seen as a detriment that can drag you down because you aren't doing enough to make it.

The biggest sign of this for me (besides decades of depression) is that up until university I was an avid reader. I loveeeed books. I have maybe read five books since then, 10 years ago, because *still* I have an ingrained sense of *shame* that comes from reading, since if I am reading for fun then I could be reading for work and studying like I should do for my career. Everyone that I know (mostly STEMlords like myself) have had the same experience. It's so weird and yet seems to be the same across the board.

Incidentally, the shame over wasting time reading is why I always assign this piece to my freshmen.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

I really wanna know what the hell he expects.

We probably aren't getting the government funded until they entirely cut Trump out of the process.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Orange Devil posted:

Reading will help you develop your empathy, which is a good skill to have in any career. Now stop feeling ashamed about a good, fun and healthy thing to do.

Don't get me wrong, I listen to audiobooks at times while doing other things, it's just sitting down and spending time only reading that gives me the shivers.

I'm getting better, I recognize that it is irrational, it's just a weirdly pervasive thing.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 9, 2019

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Is he tweeting from a hipster reporter coffee shop?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Check it out, that bullshit AP "fact check" is back, in article form.

https://www.apnews.com/3bf581a53684440b92121bb1b8ae43a9

quote:

THE FACTS: That’s one way to look at it. But it takes two sides to shut down the government. Trump’s demand for $5.7 billion for his border wall is one reason for the budget impasse. The refusal of Democrats to approve the money is another.

That's the only "fact check" that isn't against Trump.

Some local news sources reprinting this article are changing the headline to poo poo like "Fact-checking Trump, Democrats after addresses to the nation." What a joke.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Who is ready for more fires this coming summer?

https://twitter.com/sleavenworth/status/1083083427908329472

More good news for the economy.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1082966495355916288

And some actual good news.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1083068426225139712

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I wonder if the steel/concrete tangent is a result of briefers giving up at trying to explain to him what the issue is in terms he can understand.
Hard and cold, like a toilet of gold,
It's easy to find but so hard to hold.
Smooth and strong but it won't last long,
When the rust sets in, he'll be good as gone!

Concrete, concrete or steel.
It's like concrete.
Hey Pissbaby, what's the deal?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

wilderthanmild posted:

I really wanna know what the hell he expects.

We probably aren't getting the government funded until they entirely cut Trump out of the process.

Trump has gotten whatever he wanted (more or less) his entire life. He's skated and waddled around through life with the idea that he's the protagonist and nothing and no one else matters. He probably thinks just by willing it he can bend reality to his whims...and he hasn't really been proven wrong to dissuade that kind of thinking.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

beejay posted:

Check it out, that bullshit AP "fact check" is back, in article form.

https://www.apnews.com/3bf581a53684440b92121bb1b8ae43a9

That's the only "fact check" that isn't against Trump.

Some local news sources reprinting this article are changing the headline to poo poo like "Fact-checking Trump, Democrats after addresses to the nation." What a joke.

"Give in to our audience's concerns? Nah gently caress that: TRIPLE DOWN BITCH"

(Snorts coke, runs naked out of AP Editor's Office)

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Payndz posted:

Hard and cold, like a toilet of gold,
It's easy to find but so hard to hold.
Smooth and strong but it won't last long,
When the rust sets in, he'll be good as gone!

Concrete, concrete or steel.
It's like concrete.
Hey Pissbaby, what's the deal?

I am racking my brain trying to place where this is originally from.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Don't get me wrong, I listen to audiobooks at times while doing other things, it's just sitting down and spending time only reading that gives me the shivers.

I'm getting better, I recognize that it is irrational, it's just a weirdly pervasive thing.

I'm in a similar boat as you, mostly because I spend all my day reading stuff for a living. I've finally had to pencil in a weekly "sit down and work through a book for X hours" thing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/1083127072120340480

god i almost forgot how many interviews there are we haven't seen that we're going to get soon

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I thought this was a joke, but it actually happened

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1083103941049700361

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Zwabu posted:

Doesn't it seem a mistake to put the heat only on Trump who doesn't give a poo poo about anyone? Why not put the heat on McConnell and focus on him at the same time? He'd be much more likely to bend to reality under sufficient pressure, I'd think.

Trump is in over his head, weak willed, insecure, moody, impulsive, scared, and oh yeah, really stupid. McConnell has brass balls and doesn't give a single flying gently caress what the American people, the press, or his colleagues say or think about him at all. He cares about racking up wins for the GOP, and he's really good at it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We're gonna hear a LOT for the next day or two about the President offering Nancy and Chuck candy and them not being grateful and its gonna be super weird.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/1083127072120340480

god i almost forgot how many interviews there are we haven't seen that we're going to get soon

So I guess we'll get to see what fuckups the Reps on the committee were even more now

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

citybeatnik posted:

I am racking my brain trying to place where this is originally from.

I'm in a similar boat as you, mostly because I spend all my day reading stuff for a living. I've finally had to pencil in a weekly "sit down and work through a book for X hours" thing.

I want to say hot and Cold by Katy Perry.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

STAC Goat posted:

We're gonna hear a LOT for the next day or two about the President offering Nancy and Chuck candy and them not being grateful and its gonna be super weird.

It probably won't work. I think most Americans would agree that was a pretty drat b-list candy line-up.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Glumslinger posted:

I thought this was a joke, but it actually happened

I thought it could be real but wanted to believe it was a joke.

Someone told him about Reagan's jelly beans?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Crabtree posted:

The White House just released a statement that the wall exists, has been paid for and is invisible. Everything's fine and he won bigly.

Really, we should all just start lauding The Emperor's New Wall.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/PostOpinions/status/1083129179535826945

:laffo:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Not to be too lovely, but in a way this is actually bad news:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/01/natural-gas-is-now-getting-in-the-way-us-carbon-emissions-increase-by-3-4/

Basically we're replacing those coal plants with natural gas plants and oops we're actually increasing our emissions year-over-year now as a result.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Ague Proof posted:

I thought it could be real but wanted to believe it was a joke.

Someone told him about Reagan's jelly beans?

Just his go-to power move. He used to pay temporary Polish construction workers in old, stale peeps leftover from Easter.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bugsy posted:

edit - wrong tweets.

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1083061115410677761

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1083084215988731904

Nice to see the piss baby saying his emergency is pure political bullshit.

Why is this so loving hard?!? Lock the Motherfucker in a room with a whiteboard, and get him to write down his demands. The Democrats then get to cross out “WAlL pLeaSe” and then negotiate from there.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Spun Dog posted:

Just his go-to power move. He used to pay temporary Polish construction workers in old, stale peeps leftover from Easter.

Okay, I'll bite. Is this a thing that actually happened?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This is an excellent post, and Trump's approval ratings are something I've been thinking a lot about recently. Mostly, why were they dipping into the low 30s in his first year, but relatively consistent at 42% in 2018?

According to the fivethirtyeight tracker, his aggregate approval rating was usually between 37-39 between the Comey firing and the end of the year, and for most of this year, it has been between 40-42. There were some polls with him lower than 35, but they were a minority in the first year.

There is a couple of explanations for this.

First, it could be "normalization". People are getting used to this, and the problems haven't really touched them directly, so a few people are shifting towards him.

Second, some of it could be polling artifacts. Polling young people, who usually don't approve of Trump, is harder because they often don't have landlines. This is a known. Polling companies have ways to get around this, but, the effect could have changed. It doesn't take that much of an artifact to throw off averages.

Third, a lot of it is in the way we perceive it, especially with how the first number changes. A year ago today, his polling average was 38.7, and today it is 41.1, a difference of 2.4% But the first is in the low 30s, the second is in the high 40s, and so we read that as a bigger change than it is. If that was the difference between, say, 40.5 and 42.9, it might not seem like as big of a difference.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Crow Jane posted:

Okay, I'll bite. Is this a thing that actually happened?

Probably not, but it sure sounds plausible doesn't it?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Spun Dog posted:

Probably not, but it sure sounds plausible doesn't it?

Sadly, yes. And I'm not sure, but I think giving people Peeps might be a human rights violation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice
Nothing better than sitting at the doctor's office with the flu and a sinus infection while 2 fanatic Trump supporters froth at the mouth. Kill me.