Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/LanieLou5/status/1083129862406266880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Honestly, with how thoroughly and massively she's crushed anyone who's tried to dunk on her thus far, "DO NOT ENGAGE" is actually cogent advice.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cacator posted:

Does the concept of "minor coincidence" even exist to these people?

If people were capable of believing in coincidences, they wouldn't be conspiracy theoriests.

Project MKUltra ended in 1973. Ocasio Cortez was born in 1989. What the gently caress are they even talking about?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Conspiracists believe the "ending" of MKULTRA was a fake out so they could expand it to more people.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

quote:

The Ice Wall is a natural formation, a thick mass of floating ice that is attached to land, formed from and fed by tongues of glaciers extending outward from deep within the uncharted tundra into sheltered waters. Where there are no strong currents, the ice becomes partly grounded on the sea bottom and attaches itself to rocks and islands. The wall is pushed forward into the sea by glacial pressure until its forward growth is terminated.

The entire coast of the Ice Wall is not one single complete wall, however. There are actually a series of thousand mile long walls, divided by Transantarctic Mountain Ranges up to 11,500 feet high. The weight of The Ice Walls are so enormous that they have literally pressed the land two thirds of a mile (one kilometer) into the earth. Under the massive forces of their own weight, the ice walls deform and drag themselves outward. Very large glaciers called ice streams flow through them continually, transporting ice from deep inland out to the sea.

Temperatures are thought to approach absolute zero the further one explores outwards. Exploration in this type of pitch black freezing environment is impossible for any man or machine. We live on a vast plane with an unknown diameter and an unknown depth. Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham held that knowing the true dimensions of the earth may be something that is forever unknowable by man.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Whoa I didnt know we were back in the 1800's.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

zoux posted:

Maybe if we can convince them that the wall exists in spirit we can end the shutdown.

like I said on page 2:

"I like this idea, they're already living in a fantasy world where Trump is a genius and school shootings are fake, why not just expand the fantasy? Convince yourself that Trump isn't under investigation, that the wall is actually built but the media can't show it - maybe it's an invisible wall? Obama and Hillary and all the other left politicians and celebrities have been arrested and executed or are being tortured in Guantanamo or on the loving moon, who cares. If George Clooney appears in public that's just a lookalike. Trump gets impeached or loses in 2020, NBD it's all a trick, he's actually the eternal god-emperor and leaving office was just another fakeout to deceive the media and the DEEP STATE.

It's like the end of Brazil, just escape into a dream world. "

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Cacator posted:

Being that most of them seem to be schizophrenic, I would say no

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 10, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cacator posted:

One of their catchphrases is literally "there are no coincidences"

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So flat earth has evolved beyond a flat earth to space doesn’t exist at all and we are just on an infinite flat plane that stretches on forever and ever? Ok then

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So flat earth has evolved beyond a flat earth to space doesn’t exist at all and we are just on an infinite flat plane that stretches on forever and ever? Ok then

Yes that happened about 5 years ago. Essentially "Flat earth" isn't really the context of the theory anymore, other than it being the very first disagreement with normal reality.

Granted most flat earthers essentially believe that "Earth" is a stage set created by Higher Powers at this point. And that there's probably some means to break through the illusion to find an 'exit' to a real world or higher plane of existence if certain conditions are met. If it hasn't become obvious by now, most of them lowkey are using this to express being something like born-again Christians, the higher powers are mostly believed to be God or his angels, etc. All evidence against flat earth is faked using the dome over top of the area humans can be in, all sorts of stuff that amounts to "well you can't prove it to me anything in science is real if I can't prove it myself with the knowledge and tools of a third grader"

Most will even say that round planets exist, but only outside of this created space which is Earth which is flat. Often the reason these people give for why this is so, is that it was "easier to create this set" by making it flat and then building complicated illusions and ensuring the governments all throughout history were kept lying about Earth being flat.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
How do flat earthers parse parallax? Like, by their logic if I'm at the top of the Trans America building on the West Coast with a telescope I should be able to see the Rocky Mountains or vice versa being that the earth is a flat plane. Even with a grade school education this should present problems.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

You need the right camera, then you can see over the horizon

Seriously that's the argument

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

James Woods posted:

How do flat earthers parse parallax? Like, by their logic if I'm at the top of the Trans America building on the West Coast with a telescope I should be able to see the Rocky Mountains or vice versa being that the earth is a flat plane. Even with a grade school education this should present problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gFsOoKAHZg

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

James Woods posted:

Vanishing point. Or pollution.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Earth has a low draw distance.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I've seen it genuinely argued that you just need a better zoom on your camera. Explanations of how magnification actually works were, unsurprisingly, dismissed.

It's a good argument for them though since you can never provided them with a telescope which they can't immediately dismiss as not powerful enough.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

I felt like this was one of his weaker videos, much as I do love Hbomberguy's usual stuff. He really doesn't get into some of the more religious and political reasons why these people buy into flat eartherism. Plus I think framing them as progressives in a sense rather than regressives is also somewhat mistaken. Yes, it's true, that there has never been a widespread belief in a flat earth - at least in the West - but the fact is that these people generally believe there was and/or that they are returning to the truth of the Bible that has been displaced and supplanted by the lies of science and secularism. Like most of these people don't believe they are advancing the cause of science and replacing a popular misconception with a new truth, most of them believe they are returning to a better past.

Given that the idealized past Conservatives and regressives seek to return to almost never had any existence in reality, I don't flat eartherism is really any different than other Conservative beliefs, in that regard. Yes, it's not regressive from an outsider's standpoint because the past they seek to regress to never really existed, but that's true of nearly all Conservative ideas about the past. What matters is the mindset - regressives think they are returning society to its proper working.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Illuminti posted:

I've seen it genuinely argued that you just need a better zoom on your camera. Explanations of how magnification actually works were, unsurprisingly, dismissed.

It's a good argument for them though since you can never provided them with a telescope which they can't immediately dismiss as not powerful enough.

I've heard the argument that telescopes are fake. All of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I felt like this was one of his weaker videos, much as I do love Hbomberguy's usual stuff. He really doesn't get into some of the more religious and political reasons why these people buy into flat eartherism. Plus I think framing them as progressives in a sense rather than regressives is also somewhat mistaken. Yes, it's true, that there has never been a widespread belief in a flat earth - at least in the West - but the fact is that these people generally believe there was and/or that they are returning to the truth of the Bible that has been displaced and supplanted by the lies of science and secularism. Like most of these people don't believe they are advancing the cause of science and replacing a popular misconception with a new truth, most of them believe they are returning to a better past.

Given that the idealized past Conservatives and regressives seek to return to almost never had any existence in reality, I don't flat eartherism is really any different than other Conservative beliefs, in that regard. Yes, it's not regressive from an outsider's standpoint because the past they seek to regress to never really existed, but that's true of nearly all Conservative ideas about the past. What matters is the mindset - regressives think they are returning society to its proper working.

Ya video's not up to his usual standards, largely due to the bizarre decision to engage the subject matter in good faith, but it is relevant to the subject.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

fishmech posted:

Yes that happened about 5 years ago. Essentially "Flat earth" isn't really the context of the theory anymore, other than it being the very first disagreement with normal reality.

Granted most flat earthers essentially believe that "Earth" is a stage set created by Higher Powers at this point. And that there's probably some means to break through the illusion to find an 'exit' to a real world or higher plane of existence if certain conditions are met. If it hasn't become obvious by now, most of them lowkey are using this to express being something like born-again Christians, the higher powers are mostly believed to be God or his angels, etc. All evidence against flat earth is faked using the dome over top of the area humans can be in, all sorts of stuff that amounts to "well you can't prove it to me anything in science is real if I can't prove it myself with the knowledge and tools of a third grader"

Most will even say that round planets exist, but only outside of this created space which is Earth which is flat. Often the reason these people give for why this is so, is that it was "easier to create this set" by making it flat and then building complicated illusions and ensuring the governments all throughout history were kept lying about Earth being flat.

So they believe the Truman show is real, got it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

In spirit, I've already had sex with Emilia Clarke and Scarlet Johannson, i'm just waiting for it to manifest in the natural.

And yea, Flat Earht is another one of those things that Evangelicals love because they feel if it is proved true, then all science is fake and god is real. It's shared with stuff like living dinosaurs. Also Flat Earth literally is more prominent today than it has ever been. What's the camera they all love? The Nikon 9000 or something?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

In spirit, I've already had sex with Emilia Clarke and Scarlet Johannson, i'm just waiting for it to manifest in the natural.

And yea, Flat Earht is another one of those things that Evangelicals love because they feel if it is proved true, then all science is fake and god is real. It's shared with stuff like living dinosaurs. Also Flat Earth literally is more prominent today than it has ever been. What's the camera they all love? The Nikon 9000 or something?

Dinosaurs are a satanic lie. Just like evolution. The camera is the p900. I swear nikon sponsors the flat earth movement to sell cameras.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Now that's a spirit quest :pervert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Dinosaurs are a satanic lie. Just like evolution. The camera is the p900. I swear nikon sponsors the flat earth movement to sell cameras.

No they are animals that were not able to find space on the ark. DUH.

What are you, a Presbyterian?

TulliusCicero posted:

Now that's a spirit quest :pervert:

Its more realistic than any Q secret arrests. We're all people that are real, and live on earth, that's more than anything Q has.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What I really wanted from that video was an answer to this

The flat earth has only been hidden from the public since 1956? What...happened before that? Everyone knew the earth was flat and then they all just forgot? Or did the government construct the Truman Show dome and put all the Boomers in it as babies and then they had kids and we're all the 7 billion bubble people, and outside the dome are trillions of flat-earth dwellers watching us? But this Mark Sargent guy is like 50, so he had parents right? Were they in on it like Truman's parents? Are everyone's parents and grandparents old enough to remember 1956 all in on it too?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 10, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You can only trust your eyes, camera lenses are all distorted to show the curved earth.

Except for the good folks at Nikon they're all right, believe what you see in a Nikon 900 and in nothing else.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

The flat earth has only been hidden from the public since 1956? What...happened before that? Everyone knew the earth was flat and then they all just forgot? Or did the government construct the Truman Show dome and put all the Boomers in it as babies and then they had kids and we're all the 7 billion bubble people, and outside the dome are trillions of flat-earth dwellers watching us? But this Mark Sargent guy is like 50, so he had parents right? Were they in on it like Truman's parents? Are everyone's parents and grandparents old enough to remember 1956 all in on it too?

Don't hurt your brain trying to understand their insanity

Forget it Vitalsigns; it's Boomertown

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hbomberguy just did a video on Flat Earth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gFsOoKAHZg

It's pretty good, I like how he has to work to try to not seem like he's making them sound worse than they are, but they keep doing that themselves.

There's also this

https://youtu.be/ecfqbWCiZSA

he actually goes to a flat earth conference and holy poo poo.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

twistedmentat posted:

No they are animals that were not able to find space on the ark. DUH.

Of course dinosaurs were on the ark, what are you, a satanic Catholic?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

The flat earth has only been hidden from the public since 1956? What...happened before that? Everyone knew the earth was flat and then they all just forgot?

It’s not right, but it’s a mainstream common myth that everyone thought the earth was flat historically. Like stories with Columbus was out to prove it wasn’t. If you get like 20% dumber taking “everyone knew the earth was flat till recently” seems like a thing people would go for with 1956 sounding about the same as 1493 for “mysterious years from before I was born”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But 1956 isn't mysterious, that dude had parents, we all have grandparents who remember having globes in school.

E: I know I know, there's no answer just like how the nonstop flights he says are impossible are fake and everyone who has been on one is lying, or if they're real then we just haven't figured out the correct geography of flat earth

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 10, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VitalSigns posted:

1956 was the last year before Sputnik. When sputnik "launches" in 1957 and is the first satellite, it's the first lie in the conspiracy chain to hide flat earth. Because the orbit is either completely fake or it followed a different path to draw around the flat earth. And then when more "space" stuff happens it all helps hide flat earth evidence, or rather definite evidence the earth isn't a globe.

Space agencies have been given the primary role in hiding flat earth so they are enemy number one, and it can only start for real once a "successful launch" happens

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s not right, but it’s a mainstream common myth that everyone thought the earth was flat historically. Like stories with Columbus was out to prove it wasn’t. If you get like 20% dumber taking “everyone knew the earth was flat till recently” seems like a thing people would go for with 1956 sounding about the same as 1493 for “mysterious years from before I was born”

Part of it was Catholic immigrant communities (Italians on the East Coast, Mexicans in the Southwest) using Columbus as an avatar of how they were totally deserving to be real Americans (since they were having to deal with a lot of anti-immigrant/anti-Catholic sentiment around the beginning of the 20th century). They formed organizations like the Knights of Columbus and they helped to really build up the myth of Columbus as an underdog visionary.

And while scientists and philosophers recognized that the earth was round for thousands of years, it's not like the idea that the earth was flat wasn't a common folk understanding. Like, go back to 1400 and just ask some dude plowing a field and he'd probably say he never thought of it, but of course it had to be flat.

I feel like left-tube is in this weird place right now where they're trying to not fall into the same trap that atheist youtube fell into (start slam-dunking easy targets like creationists, deciding you're brilliant, running low on easy targets, and then applying that newfound arrogance to topics that aren't easy, like feminism). So they're trying to cut down on the slam-dunking and try to be thorough and thoughtful when replying, even when it's an easy target that just deserves the point-and-laugh treatment.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I wish this wasn't an insane conspiracy theory but instead a cool horror setting.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

But 1956 isn't mysterious, that dude had parents, we all have grandparents who remember having globes in school.

Clearly. but I do imagine that the common misconception that "Everybody" thought the world was flat in the past being already a thing makes it less steps for people to extend that with some "well I don't know what date that ended and I'm not going to look it up, so probably with space travel" or something.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Goon Danton posted:

You need the right camera, then you can see over the horizon

Seriously that's the argument

Yeah, a Nikon 900 or something. They think one specific camera, made by a mega corporation, has the correct lens to see the truth.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Nikon P900 zoom range. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfshAzV0FN4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That lens is plenty powerful enough to show the curvature of the Earth at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1083246062188392448?s=19