Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It took me 80 hours to plat the base and it's very easy to forget you have a boat in this game.

Why is it that recent Ubisoft games don't have completion metrics? Odyssey doesn't even have a log for completed quests like in Origins.

AC1: tedious to play and no side-content worth playing.
AC2: Easy to 100 outside of the feathers.
Brotherhood to Syndicate: Not worth getting 100 if you don't like full-sync objectives, in addition to Revelations, 3, and Unity being lovely.
Far Cry 3: Easy to 100 outside of 1 missable.
Far Cry 4: Shangrila missions and arena pissed me off to bother playing after ending.,
Watch Dogs 2: After beating all missions there's no reason to keep playing. I beat it two weeks ago and already forgotten about it.
Origins: Feels basic next to Odyssey but no level-scaling is nice. You get a trophy for completing every location on the map and there's 131 quests to beat.

It's my massive complaint with Ubisoft games, which is that they increasingly aren't made to be finished, they're made to be played until you get bored and stop.

I get why they're doing this, but it annoys me to no end that rather than pace a game and end on a high, they would rather throw bland content at you until you give up. It gets your playable hours up, but at some point it doesn't matter how much enjoyment I get out of a game, I'm not going to buy the sequel (... at more than 50% off) if my memory of the previous game is giving up in disgust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Stupid question: Can I keep climbing the merc ladder without going to the Arena? Whoever put a mid level quest in the farthest corner of the map is silly.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fat Samurai posted:

Stupid question: Can I keep climbing the merc ladder without going to the Arena? Whoever put a mid level quest in the farthest corner of the map is silly.

You most definitely can, to climb the ranks you have to kill mercs higher than you, and unless you're literally in 2nd place already, there will be plenty since only one at a time will be in the arena.

It's actually great when one of those is in the Arena though, because you can fast travel straight to the arena if you visited it once and immediately get to fighting instead of tracking him, or waiting for him to come to you when you have a bounty. Also if you're specced in warrior skills, a one-on-one in the arena will be quite easy. If you rely on assassination damage to soften targets up before engaging, not so much...

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sure hope we get some new mythical beasties that aren't cyclopses at some point.

I really want to fight a chimera or something, maybe some flying enemies like harpies too.

Maybe I'll just reinstall Dragon's Dogma.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 9, 2019

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

drat it I tried not killing Lagos but he attacked me anyway

Was he the merc with information on superbro spartan and the family member's location? I got a bug with that mission. I killed him, but another merc joined the foray and killed me. When I respawned, it counted that part as complete even though he was still alive. He pottered around the map as a generic merc after that until I happened to bump into him late game.

Alchenar posted:

It's my massive complaint with Ubisoft games, which is that they increasingly aren't made to be finished, they're made to be played until you get bored and stop.

I generally do that. I poo poo you not, before black flag, the last open world game I remember completing was GTA Vice City. I think I'm actually averse to completing them. I don't really like finality in open world games, I prefer to run around in them until I just feel its time to put the toys back in the box.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I've completed the main story/quest in several open world games but I have never "100 percented" one and have no interest in ever doing so. i cant think of an open world game where that even seemed feasible to me

the first open world game i ever remember playing was Daggerfall and that was even more insane in terms of world size and stuff to do than anything in the modern era except for procgen stuff like NMS

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I kinda want to try Hunter again, this time mixed with Assassin instead of Warrior. Only thing stopping me is thinking of Conquest battles and other forced knuckle-busters, I suppose

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hunter is probably the most OP skill path in this game, Devastating Shot on its own is freaking ridiculous. When NG+ goes live I'm deffo rolling an Artemissandra.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Topped out ghost shot is just as good as devastating and goes through walls. For maximum lol drop the 100+ damage/25% health engraving on top of Sterope’s Bow, pop the slowdown perk in the assassin tree and go all Maximus Payne on fools.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I kinda want to try Hunter again, this time mixed with Assassin instead of Warrior. Only thing stopping me is thinking of Conquest battles and other forced knuckle-busters, I suppose

Going all in with hunter can work pretty well in conquest battles, you just don't bother with soldiers unless they're aggro'd on you in multiples and look down your bow sights, spin then predator shot captains that appear. I'm not sure if captain spawns happen at set times or after X kills for sure, but I find hunter can find and wipe out them super quick. Any time you get a breather, just scope and spin. Not sure how an assasin/hunter build would work early game, but once you start getting the neat legendary engravings they're a great mix. I find a knives and bow loadout leaning towards hunter with fire on the knives to be great. Fire is a great way to cause confusion and get enough distance to get your bow out. The final mythological boss is a bad time for that build though. I spec more in buffs than abilities, My gotos are still heal, bull rush, predator shot, hero strike and the overpower attacks. I can't really get my head around crowd control tactics rather than causing AI chaos and flanking people. That said, other archers are absolute bastards with the hunter/assassin build if you're mobbed. I miss black flag's human shield ability.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well I finally finished all the main story missions at a hair under 90 hours, I'll probably do the two location trophies I need for platinum then call it a day. Decent game, did not need to be 90 hours long.

Was there a way for Brasidas to survive I missed?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I thought that was possible at first but no, Brasidas was a real historical figure and he died at that battle. Whether or not you're bros at the end depends on prior choices you've made though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I pissed him off, I was even trying to do his plan the second time but, uh, it didn't work out :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wit posted:

Going all in with hunter can work pretty well in conquest battles, you just don't bother with soldiers unless they're aggro'd on you in multiples and look down your bow sights, spin then predator shot captains that appear. I'm not sure if captain spawns happen at set times or after X kills for sure, but I find hunter can find and wipe out them super quick. Any time you get a breather, just scope and spin. Not sure how an assasin/hunter build would work early game, but once you start getting the neat legendary engravings they're a great mix. I find a knives and bow loadout leaning towards hunter with fire on the knives to be great. Fire is a great way to cause confusion and get enough distance to get your bow out. The final mythological boss is a bad time for that build though. I spec more in buffs than abilities, My gotos are still heal, bull rush, predator shot, hero strike and the overpower attacks. I can't really get my head around crowd control tactics rather than causing AI chaos and flanking people. That said, other archers are absolute bastards with the hunter/assassin build if you're mobbed. I miss black flag's human shield ability.
Yeah it turns out just going ham and rapidfiring arrows until you see a Captain is amazingly effective

Worked brilliantly in the fort in Mykonos, too. Cleared it by being hyperaggressive with the bow and rush assassinate, not a single alarm just running around murdering and kicking athenians off walls~

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

In awe at the size of this lady

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It's amazing how good this game looks sometimes

(edit) im the boatfight in the background

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 10, 2019

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Patch 1.1.2 is coming January 10!

quote:

SUMMARY
  • Added in-game support for Episode 2 Shadow Heritage and upcoming Lost Tales of Greece
  • Added Level Scaling Option
  • Added two Mercenary Tiers and benefits
  • Added Hephaistos’s Workshop
  • Added new Mastery Levels
  • Addressed an issue that prevented Home Sweet Home from completing
  • Myrrine will continue to travel to her destination in A Mother's Prayer and The Paros Blockade
  • Players can now interact with Roxana to accept Sparring with Roxana
  • Players missing their Odyssey arc in the Quest Log after talking to Herodotos during the Serpent's Lair will now be able to continue their journey
  • Addressed various issues with Engravings not increasing stats as intended
  • Addressed an issue where the camera couldn’t be moved in Photo Mode
Full patch notes. (Possibly the best change in there: "Gameplay icons will now take priority over photos on the map.")

I bought this game during the recent Steam sale and so far (~30 hours in) it is pretty fun! Some of the writing seems a little off-the-wall, albeit mostly in a good way, and Kassandra is an awesome protagonist. The last AC game I played before this one was Black Flag, but while some of the assassin-y feel may have been lost along the way it's probably not the worst direction to be taking the franchise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

In awe at the size of this lady

I really hope they add in the ability to upgrade lieutenants at some point because my need to min-max is clashing with my alike desires to have my deck crew as my own personal harem.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

MMAgCh posted:

Patch 1.1.2 is coming January 10!
Full patch notes.

"30 Ability points will be granted for all players that reached level 70 before this Title Update"

Nice.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

exquisite tea posted:

I really hope they add in the ability to upgrade lieutenants at some point because my need to min-max is clashing with my alike desires to have my deck crew as my own personal harem.

Especially since (endgame spoiler) whatever family members you save end up available to be your crew, including unique one-time dialogue that's pretty funny, but really don't have very good stats compared to any random mercenary or even captain/polemarch that you can recruit by that point. I want to boat around with all 4 members of my family but they just have terrible specs. They're goddamn murderbeasts when boarding a boat, though, I'll give them that - Alexios can do that crazy poo poo that he does during one of the battles.

Edit: ^^^^^ God dammit I'm like level 68 :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

To be honest I don't even care about their stats, I just psychologically need all my lieutenants to be 7/7 in every category.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Made all the right dialog choices to save Deimos and it turns out if you don't convince him he's being manipulated by the cult when you're in jail it won't work. So either you fight and kill him and Myrrine never wants to talk to you again or he kills Myrrine and you kill him. :( What a bummer. I'm tempted to try and find a previous save and do it over, but I think that was 7 or so hours of game ago.

Another thing: Any helpful ideas what I could be missing for the Hermes' Homie achievement? I'm at 99% of regions discovered and 94% of synch points.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got the happy families ending and tbh it felt kind of anti-climatic and unearned. It didn't help that Deimos switched from being in pre-final boss speech mode to 'oh okay I guess I'll just come with you then' in like a nanosecond.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Made all the right dialog choices to save Deimos and it turns out if you don't convince him he's being manipulated by the cult when you're in jail it won't work. So either you fight and kill him and Myrrine never wants to talk to you again or he kills Myrrine and you kill him. :( What a bummer. I'm tempted to try and find a previous save and do it over, but I think that was 7 or so hours of game ago.

Another thing: Any helpful ideas what I could be missing for the Hermes' Homie achievement? I'm at 99% of regions discovered and 94% of synch points.

I killed Deimos but mom was totally cool with me at the end. I think her opinion of you is conditional upon some prior choices -- I'm not sure if preferring her plan over Brasidas has anything to do with it but I do think you can't promise you'll bring Deimos back and fail to succeed.

As for Hermes' Homie, all the water regions of the map have to be uncovered. There are also some easy to miss sync points in the boonies of Elis and Archaia.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I got the happy families ending and tbh it felt kind of anti-climatic and unearned. It didn't help that Deimos switched from being in pre-final boss speech mode to 'oh okay I guess I'll just come with you then' in like a nanosecond.

I wish they had both got hit by trees again. I still say playing alexios is worth it just so you can see how good at being the bad guy she is, as well as watching her body slam the poo poo out of people when you board a ship. Where is the loving hat for that set btw? I never got the hat and can't get the set's bonuses.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

10 Beers posted:

I took a shot in the dark at the dialogue choices you mention, and was nearly certain that things would be bad at the ending, but it turned out ok even though I'd made the much earlier choice to execute the Monger in public.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

wit posted:

Where is the loving hat for that set btw? I never got the hat and can't get the set's bonuses.

Final cultist

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah this all locations trophy can gently caress off, I've literally sailed around the world 20 times just give it to meeeee

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OMfuckingG

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh thank god, No Level Scaling comes out right as I'm ready to hop back in to it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
man I waited literally months for them to fix that Roxana bug before giving up and doing the quests anyway

It was literally the only major bug I ran into in the entire game too

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

:sad: because that’s one of the better romance subplots in the game, too. I wonder what caused that to bug out because I ran into Roxana first and never had the problem where she wouldn’t talk to me.

Has anybody done the new Lost Tales episode? I was able to save the village with everyone surviving but I’m not sure if it’s even possible to gently caress up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

I took a shot in the dark at the dialogue choices you mention, and was nearly certain that things would be bad at the ending, but it turned out ok even though I'd made the much earlier choice to execute the Monger in public.

Oh no, did I make the wrong choice by doing the thing in the spoiler? I had no idea who the hell Brasidas even was (still don't, haven't seen him since) and I was working for whats-her-name at the time so I figured it was her way or the highway

Also today I did the story on Mykonos and that was rather over-involved for something I've basically done five times already, IMO. Amusing story twist at least

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Monger isn't tied to keeping your family alive, at least not directly.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah it turns out just going ham and rapidfiring arrows until you see a Captain is amazingly effective

Worked brilliantly in the fort in Mykonos, too. Cleared it by being hyperaggressive with the bow and rush assassinate, not a single alarm just running around murdering and kicking athenians off walls~

Ok gently caress I am respeccing and trying this out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What helped me with the controls btw was that at close range there's no reason to fully draw your bow--just hold LT to snap aim, adjust to hit the head if need be, tap RT, let go of LT and repeat if you need to resnap

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ok, that Minotour was pretty good, game.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

What helped me with the controls btw was that at close range there's no reason to fully draw your bow--just hold LT to snap aim, adjust to hit the head if need be, tap RT, let go of LT and repeat if you need to resnap

Keyboard is terrible for me, because tab (quests) is so close to change wheel button on UK keyboards so if its a heated battle I will interrupt myself with a slow inventory screen if I panic and fat finger. I would just like 1-0 being the keyboard "wheel"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It also helps to approach close range bow fighting as being similar to melee in that you need to actively dodge, and each arrow is a “hit” in a combo. You won’t one shot anyone at close range without using powered arrows, but you can still go toe-to-toe with aggressive enemies.

Also you can take out like eight dudes at once on a battlefield with the fully upgraded multi-target shot power

General hunter tip: drop at least two points into the shield rip ability in the warrior tree. It makes close up bow combat a lot easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wouldn't have killed the fart boar without bow + dodging a lot