Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If you care about your animals pet insurance isn't a terrible idea. We were able to proceed with an amputation surgery on our late Doberman a few days after I was laid off in the summer of 2017 that had a $3k+ pricetag.

Granted our policy is heavily discounted owning to my wife working for a major insurer, but we pay about $70/month for our two dogs with enough coverage to handle all but the most extreme of illnesses and injuries - basically enough for anything up to the point where euthanasia would be the best course of action. Someone without employee discounts could expect to pay $50-60 per pet depending on age, breed and medical history for similar levels of coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, I was going to say. There are some threads over at reddit personal finance that go over the various companies for pet insurance and it seems like a hard thing to end up skipping over based on some of the care costs I've seen.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

We'll probably be looking to add a pet insurance policy soon, too bad my company stopped offering a year ago. Our 'free' puppy has already rung up around $3k in vet bills and was recently diagnosed with a partially torn ACL. That'll be another $3k pretty easy. Not sure how I'll keep a puppy calm and not jumping around like an idiot other than benadryl like my coworker did.

Wouldn't be bad to have for the other two although they're mutts so they're healthy and will live forever.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
I remember having to empty my bank account to pay for my dog's surgery. I knew I was stupid for not having more of a rainy day fund, and when you're there in the moment and that creature needs your help, you kinda don't have a choice. Makes sense to have insurance for when your doofus goes and does something stupid and puts themselves in danger.

Another pet protip: When you lose your dog/cat and you don't have another one afterwards, budget for a new vacuum cleaner. Otherwise you'll smell dog every time you turn it on.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

sigtrap posted:

Another pet protip: When you lose your dog/cat and you don't have another one afterwards, budget for a new vacuum cleaner. Otherwise you'll smell dog every time you turn it on.

Oh that is harsh :(

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I put 93 in my 2.3L Accord and it runs so much smoother.

I hit redline this morning for the first time in recent memory while I was merging onto the highway and it was loving awesome.

It smelled like oil for a second... but it was still awesome lol

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

slurry_curry posted:

Its probably unfounded, but I am still kind of scared of turbo'd BMWs. I know the early 335i's had HPFP issues, is there a specific year that they 100% fixed that issue? I still think the e46 looks better than the e9x, but the hardtop convertible does make it tempting. Not to mention that I could probably find a e93 with less miles/cheaper than a e46 m3 vert. I wonder if the e93 328i is decent enough, or if its just underpowered. Either way, I have plenty of time to do research.

Buy an E93 M3, zero turbo issues - and then take advantage of the *single* benefit the vert has over the Coupe & Sedan aside from resale value being more affordable for the softtop - That benefit is that you can hear that insanely delicious S65 V8 burble and roar combined with the transcendent whoosh that the intake complements with, even better than those of us with tin-tops.

My windows are down 24/7 in the E92, totally stock everything on the exhaust etc, - and I have listened to like 11 songs total since buying the car despite having the $2500 premium audio pack and a $500 160gb ipod classic with every song known to man in it...

https://picosong.com/85gU/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geoj posted:

If you care about your animals pet insurance isn't a terrible idea. We were able to proceed with an amputation surgery on our late Doberman a few days after I was laid off in the summer of 2017 that had a $3k+ pricetag.

One of my cats last June got a fairly nasty head injury that cost 2K - and it could have been much bigger as the vet wanted to do MRI's and things like that. I refused because 6K was just unaffordable immediatly. Thankfully he made a good recovery.

It's absurd even having a companion animal is getting unaffordable.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Ether Frenzy posted:

Buy an E93 M3, zero turbo issues - and then take advantage of the *single* benefit the vert has over the Coupe & Sedan aside from resale value being more affordable for the softtop - That benefit is that you can hear that insanely delicious S65 V8 burble and roar combined with the transcendent whoosh that the intake complements with, even better than those of us with tin-tops.

My windows are down 24/7 in the E92, totally stock everything on the exhaust etc, - and I have listened to like 11 songs total since buying the car despite having the $2500 premium audio pack and a $500 160gb ipod classic with every song known to man in it...

https://picosong.com/85gU/

Honestly my biggest worry with a E93 m3 is that I can't be trusted with the v8. I think it might be too much power for me to *not* do stupid poo poo. I am finally old enough/had a clean record long enough that my insurance is reasonably cheap.

On the pet chat, my dog had back surgery ~4 years ago. We didn't have pet insurance* and I don't want to talk about how much that cost. Granted I am still happy that we did it, and she is still running around now like nothing ever happened. And since dachshunds live so long, she will probably be around for another 5+ years, if not longer.

*Not that pet insurance would help. This sort of back issue is common enough in Dachshunds that they have a disclaimer that they won't cover it, as its considered a pre-existing condition for them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slurry_curry posted:

Its probably unfounded, but I am still kind of scared of turbo'd BMWs. I know the early 335i's had HPFP issues, is there a specific year that they 100% fixed that issue?

Nothing with BMW is ever 100% fixed. My 535xi had the HPFP replaced about 70k miles ago and it's still putting out 3000psi when it needs to.

BMW is stupid for making a 3000 psi fuel pump.

BMW

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/ae9vde/subaru_service_center_gave_my_car_to_someone_else/?utm_source=reddit-android

:munch:

funny if true

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have an electrical/wiring question for some of you electrical smarty pants lighting guys....I just purchased two OEM LED front bumper day time running lights for my xB, the problem is there is no OEM harness in my car so I have to buy a harness or make one. I'd rather not make one.

https://www.ebay.com/i/332475690545?chn=ps

I have no clue if this is barely adequate or perfectly fine. I'm assuming I would need two of them, one for each light?

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Description states it can handle 5A of current. That most likely isn't enough for two LED running lights. What are the specs on your lights?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what that thing does, it appears it switches when it sees the higher voltage of the electrical system when the engine is running and the alternator is working?

Either way, if your lights need more than 5A, you could add a simple relay to that module to get your higher current switching.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

Description states it can handle 5A of current. That most likely isn't enough for two LED running lights. What are the specs on your lights?

I have no idea that's the problem, neither ebay or any other sites list the specs. And I'm not home right now so I can't check to see if there's any info on the light itself although I don't remember seeing any. This is what I got, a left and a right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113411616881

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

What year XB? I'll look up and see what the factory did in alldata tomorrow.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My car is a 2012, but the lights come from 2013 - 2015 model year cars. Thanks man.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

64bit_Dophins posted:

I put 93 in my 2.3L Accord and it runs so much smoother.

I hit redline this morning for the first time in recent memory while I was merging onto the highway and it was loving awesome.

It smelled like oil for a second... but it was still awesome lol

Seafoam that bitch and check the timing, that motor shouldn't ever ping on 87 unless it's like 130 degrees outside. The F23 is pretty overbuilt (so long as you keep oil in it, it loves to mark its territory via the front and rear crank seals, also the cam seal). They don't usually start smoking until they're well past 200k, unless they've been run low on oil or don't get wound up often.

They really hate being run low on oil though. Especially since Honda didn't use cam bearings on them (or, really, any of their oldschool 4 cylinders). But it'd be telling pretty loud knock knock jokes if that'd happened (they'll run longer than most other Honda engines with knock knock jokes, but they won't be happy).

Now that I think about it, I don't even know if any other F series had a knock sensor. The F23A1 definitely had one, I'm not sure if the F22 family (90-97) got one though. I know the D series, even VTEC versions, didn't have one until 1996 on USDM cars.

Sgt Fox posted:

Either way, if your lights need more than 5A, you could add a simple relay to that module to get your higher current switching.

Just spitballing, but I'm gonna guess the two of them combined are probably right at 5A. Or less.

Problem with using a relay is that module is very likely using PWM to dim the lights, so they'll still run at full brightness with the lights on if a relay is being used (or the relay will chatter like crazy, causing the lights to flash like crazy).

AA, got a multimeter? Put it into ohms/resistance mode, use the probes on one light (if you get infinite, swap the probes around - LEDs are polarity-sensitive). Some mathing will ballpark how much power they use (math for ~13.8v, the lowest voltage you should see with the car running - which will give a lower amperage than 12v).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 10, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I have one (if I can find it lol) I can check when I get home, I'm at work right now.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

If you are going to measure with a multimeter, put it in DC amp mode and switch the leads. Put the meter in line with the light and measure the current flowing through.

As for that module, I was assuming he just wanted it to turn the lights on while the car was running, the yellow dimming wire was optional. Those OEM units may not support dimming anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A lot less than :10bux: at Harbor Freight, just don't try to measure significant current with it unless you want to see magic smoke.

Walmart sells the same meter in a different color for about :10bux:. It's fine for very basic stuff. I vomited a bit more info in the stupid questions thread, but you'll probably need to run some wiring unless you can trick the BCM into running the factory "fogs" without the headlights on (they were a dealer-installed option using the wiring you found, but Toyota tends to run "fogs" only if the low beam headlights are on).

Sgt Fox posted:

If you are going to measure with a multimeter, put it in DC amp mode and switch the leads. Put the meter in line with the light and measure the current flowing through.

As for that module, I was assuming he just wanted it to turn the lights on while the car was running, the yellow dimming wire was optional. Those OEM units may not support dimming anyway.

Good point. I've never noticed many newer xB's on the road here, otherwise I'd (possibly) know this. The bulk of the ones I see are first generation; almost all of the 2nd gen ones I see are pre-facelift.

Going with amp mode may blow the LEDs if they don't have reverse-polarity protection and he guesses wrong. Yes, I'm well aware LEDs are diodes, but depending on the quality, they may not like trying to block current going the wrong way.

If they don't support dimming, you could them off when the headlights are on by grounding through, say, a positive wire going to a parking light, or a positive wire to a low beam headlamp. That would essentially give 0V across the circuit (probably +/- a couple of volts, but no telling if whatever protection circuit in the DRLs would appreciate that).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 10, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

quote:

So I dropped my Subaru WRX off to be serviced at an OFFICAL Subaru service center. They called me to tell me my car was ready for pick up, when I arrived today I waited around 2 hours while they were "getting my car ready for pickup" to finally be told that they accidentally gave it to another customer. They offered a rental car for the meantime until they can get it back which they said would hopefully be in the next few days. Should I take any action against them/is there any action I can take against them.

EDIT:

Thank you all for all of the advice. I'm not good with legal stuff and if I had not posted here I probably would have walked out paying for a rental car. I called the cops and the employees got mad and stressed out immediately. Turns out one of the managers took it for a joyride and wrecked it which they admitted to while I called the cops. I still have not seen it but I was told the damage was extensive and that I would be held liable for payment to fix part of it. At this point I'm going to get a lawyer involved right? I shouldn't have to pay for anything they have messed up on. Even if they offer to cover fixing it I'm a little uneasy about that. now that it has been in a colision is has much less value and could be prone to future problems. They if I didn't get lawyers involved they would "cut me a deal" but I'm really not having that. Not to mention they have been lying to me for hours.

My location is Washington DC

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Went for a walk after work around some forest trails near my place and came across this lad:

It was happily munching on ants, and didn't care I was there. But then again you don't want to mess with an echidna

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GF just started loudly started proclaiming her love for Nyquil at the top of her lungs. I think she went by the old "if a little is good, a lot is much better" dosing guide. :catdrugs:

Robotripping on Nyquil is not something you should do if you like your kidneys, liver, or contents of your stomach. Instead, you should find the cough-only version of the grocery store brand of cough syrup (the one with only [chemical I'm not going to type out because this isn't TCC]) (and even then, why are you robotripping once you're out of high school?). But hey, she's in the middle of babby's first robotrip. Which means I get to play trip sitter crash on the couch and zone out to the TV. And very likely I'll get to call her boss in an hour and a half to explain why she won't be at work. At least I'm friends with her boss... and her boss and I have a bit in common with, uh, our chemical usage histories. GF is on thin ice due to taking so much time off for being sick without a doctor's note though (she absolutely refuses to go to a doctor unless she's literally dying... pretty sure she has strep, and almost 3/4 of her department has been calling out sick for several days now, for strep.. and oh my mom and stepdad both have strep after our visit.... I don't have tonsils, so my chances of getting strep are a bit diminished, but I've been sick as poo poo too.. TWICE.. got well, then got sick again with something different, finally getting over that. And I feel something else coming on. :fuckoff:)

tl;dr can you guys please pee in the well some more so long as she's the one in it?

e: I looked at the bottle of (store brand) nyquil, there's not nearly enough missing from it to warrant an OHSHIT, GET EMS FOR ACETAMINOPHEN OD. The cough suppressant ingredient very much affects people differently based on their weight, she's <110 lbs soaking wet. So even a "normal" adult dose would have her borderline robotripping.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 10, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I have an electrical/wiring question for some of you electrical smarty pants lighting guys....I just purchased two OEM LED front bumper day time running lights for my xB, the problem is there is no OEM harness in my car so I have to buy a harness or make one. I'd rather not make one.

https://www.ebay.com/i/332475690545?chn=ps

I have no clue if this is barely adequate or perfectly fine. I'm assuming I would need two of them, one for each light?

That controller connects directly to the battery terminals.

You need to run wires from the DRLs themselves to it and will probably need to extend any wiring that the DRLs already have in order to reach the controller.

You can join the 2 DRLs wires in parallel to the single pair of wires on the controller.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

STR posted:

GF just started loudly started proclaiming her love for Nyquil at the top of her lungs. I think she went by the old "if a little is good, a lot is much better" dosing guide. :catdrugs:

Robotripping on Nyquil is not something you should do if you like your kidneys, liver, or contents of your stomach. Instead, you should find the cough-only version of the grocery store brand of cough syrup (the one with only [chemical I'm not going to type out because this isn't TCC]) (and even then, why are you robotripping once you're out of high school?). But hey, she's in the middle of babby's first robotrip. Which means I get to play trip sitter crash on the couch and zone out to the TV. And very likely I'll get to call her boss in an hour and a half to explain why she won't be at work. At least I'm friends with her boss... and her boss and I have a bit in common with, uh, our chemical usage histories. GF is on thin ice due to taking so much time off for being sick without a doctor's note though (she absolutely refuses to go to a doctor unless she's literally dying... pretty sure she has strep, and almost 3/4 of her department has been calling out sick for several days now, for strep.. and oh my mom and stepdad both have strep after our visit.... I don't have tonsils, so my chances of getting strep are a bit diminished, but I've been sick as poo poo too.. TWICE.. got well, then got sick again with something different, finally getting over that. And I feel something else coming on. :fuckoff:)

tl;dr can you guys please pee in the well some more so long as she's the one in it?

e: I looked at the bottle of (store brand) nyquil, there's not nearly enough missing from it to warrant an OHSHIT, GET EMS FOR ACETAMINOPHEN OD. The cough suppressant ingredient very much affects people differently based on their weight, she's <110 lbs soaking wet. So even a "normal" adult dose would have her borderline robotripping.

I love NyQuil. Man, I love it! I love it. I love it. I love it. It's the best thing poo poo ever invented. Isn't it, huh? I love the name alone. NyQuil - Capitol N, small Y, big loving Q! I love that loving Q, don't you!? What a great advertising idea! Put a huge loving Q on the box. They'll get high and stare at it. "The Q is talking to me! The Q is talking to me!"

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I surprised Denis Leary didn't steal that bit from Bill Hicks as well.... or did he?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrOnBicycle posted:

I surprised Denis Leary didn't steal that bit from Bill Hicks as well.... or did he?

Bill Hicks would be insulted at the implication he'd ever settle for a pussy little amateur drug like Robitussin.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The shop manager was loving hooning the car, wrecked it, and they were trying to delay him while attempting to fix it in their body shop, and their cover story was that *they gave it to another customer*. And then they started talking about charging him for the crash repair.
gently caress those guys. This is a case where I support suing them into oblivion.

Reddit posted:

CYA how though? There is nothing helpful to them about their cover. It's just as much their fault in their version as it is if it was stolen off the lot or wrecked. The people are dumb.

This, so much.

There are a really impressive number of moderator-removed comments in that thread.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Darchangel posted:

The shop manager was loving hooning the car, wrecked it, and they were trying to delay him while attempting to fix it in their body shop, and their cover story was that *they gave it to another customer*. And then they started talking about charging him for the crash repair.
gently caress those guys. This is a case where I support suing them into oblivion.

Yup. You crash a customer car while joyriding I hope that shop has its insurance up to date, they're gonna need it.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's absurd even having a companion animal is getting unaffordable.

So true.

The only major issue we've had so far is many years ago when my wife and I had ferrets, one of them had parvo. That was a nice $1,500 vet bill.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slurry_curry posted:

*Not that pet insurance would help. This sort of back issue is common enough in Dachshunds that they have a disclaimer that they won't cover it, as its considered a pre-existing condition for them.

Asked my wife about this, she knew exactly what you were talking about and said its very common among pet insurance carriers, but her company doesn't count it as a pre-existing condition provided the dog hasn't been treated for it prior to the start date of the policy.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in more information, I don't want to be a shill for her employer on here.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

keykey posted:

So true.

The only major issue we've had so far is many years ago when my wife and I had ferrets, one of them had parvo. That was a nice $1,500 vet bill.

Ah do they count as exotic animals where you are too? I had two of them. Both needed treatment. RIP my bank account.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geoj posted:

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in more information, I don't want to be a shill for her employer on here.

I would think that since we're having the chat, it wouldn't be so much shilling as it would be purchasing services from a goons wife that we may be purchasing elsewhere currently. I'm okay with it, but not sure about anybody else, rather help someone out than give some random stranger the business face to face.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ah do they count as exotic animals where you are too? I had two of them. Both needed treatment. RIP my bank account.

Yes they do. :homebrew:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

You Am I posted:

Went for a walk after work around some forest trails near my place and came across this lad:

It was happily munching on ants, and didn't care I was there. But then again you don't want to mess with an echidna

:allears: Echidnas are so friggin cute. I remember during my time in Tasmania seeing one waddling across the road in a rural area (probably Beaconsfield or Beauty point) and I had to pull over and stop to check him out. Me and my buddy had never seen one in the wild.

That Reddit thread seems suspect, but stupid is pretty common. The thought of joyriding a customers car when you literally work in a store where fast dumb subarus are everywhere doesn't make sense. For that person to also be a :airquote:manager:airquote: also doesn't play out. A comfortable ranking job is better than any joy ride. I have a similar sentiment as a former FedEx delivery driver. People accusing their UPS/FedEx/Mail person as someone who "probably stole their package" I can tell you they didn't. There is nothing in a brown box worth risking a paying job over. Similar should be considered over a dumb subaru. Maybe it was some low ranking lot lizard sure, but the manager? Nah.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

keykey posted:

I would think that since we're having the chat, it wouldn't be so much shilling as it would be purchasing services from a goons wife that we may be purchasing elsewhere currently. I'm okay with it, but not sure about anybody else, rather help someone out than give some random stranger the business face to face.

Good point.

She works for Hartville Pet Insurance.

Also suggests if you want to compare providers https://www.petinsurancereview.com and https://www.trustpilot.com are good resources.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

Good question.....I'm assuming they do, don't most oem LED DRLs dim when the light are turned on? I don't think any of them just turn off do they? This is weird, nobody has done what I'm doing apparently because there's literally no information in any of the Scion forums about anyone else doing it.

Looking at the lights it says nothing on them but the part number and 12v lol. I found my multi meter (left on with dead battery) set it to ohms and all it's doing is flashing some numbers then going to 1 every time, so I don't know. I don't want to risk frying these because they weren't cheap.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Good question.....I'm assuming they do, don't most oem LED DRLs dim when the light are turned on? I don't think any of them just turn off do they? This is weird, nobody has done what I'm doing apparently because there's literally no information in any of the Scion forums about anyone else doing it.

Looking at the lights it says nothing on them but the part number and 12v lol. I found my multi meter (left on with dead battery) set it to ohms and all it's doing is flashing some numbers then going to 1 every time, so I don't know. I don't want to risk frying these because they weren't cheap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh no one said anything about using a battery like that, if I get the leads backwards am I gonna risk frying the lights with that method? There are no markings for positive or negative on the lights.....Unfortunately I had to rob my smoke detector of it's 9v to power the multimeter and don't have another 9v at the moment.

I found another harness that may work better, this one has all kinds of features

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Uni...S14MBEZG1VCR2CF

And this one looks of good quality, however it just shuts off the DRLs when the headlights come on

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IFWNSFI/ref=psdc_15730351_t3_B010NEO5HQ

So I guess I'm gonna need to figure out if the lights support dimming as well before I buy one of these harnesses yay

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh no one said anything about using a battery like that, if I get the leads backwards am I gonna risk frying the lights with that method? There are no markings for positive or negative on the lights.

well LEDs are diodes, so ideally if you hook them up backwards what should happen is nothing. If you're really concerned though an inline resistor will keep current down while you're testing polarity; if you don't have a proper one handy a piece of pencil lead should handle enough current to see if the lights come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm not an EE but from what I understand you'd have to drive a substantially higher voltage than its rated for across the LED in reverse polarity to actually damage it.