Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I mean, people have been saying "Simpsons predicted 9/11!" for years, but this is next-level. The crumbs have faces on them!! (they don't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno I'm starting to come around on the prophetic powers of old TV shows

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1083140191362048000

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

zoux posted:

Or we ourselves are a TV show.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Or we ourselves are a TV show.

And the ratings are terrible.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Okay, so the non stop flights around the Earth are all fake.

How do they explain that a plane flying from Tokyo to Japan goes over Russia, Alaska, and Canada before landing in Michigan.

If the Earth is a straight line shouldn't I just fly right through Washington, Montana and the Dakotas?

And why even lie and put all the effort into lying about something so grandiose? Satan made them do it?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

How do they explain that a plane flying from Tokyo to Japan goes over Russia, Alaska, and Canada before landing in Michigan.

If the Earth is a straight line shouldn't I just fly right through Washington, Montana and the Dakotas?

And why even lie and put all the effort into lying about something so grandiose? Satan made them do it?

Have you ever been on this flight or know anyone who has been? So, why would you believe some random site on the internet that it exists? Anyone can say anything on the internet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TulliusCicero posted:

The pilot was ordered to take that route to make the lie work.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fishmech posted:

The pilot was ordered to take that route to make the lie work.

I mean they're already covering up chemtrails, what's one more deception.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

The answers to any flight path related question are:
- There's no such thing as an accurate map
- "Look at this particular map projection in which this flight path is a straight line"
- Look at this OTHER flight path that looks like it's out-of-the-way on a flat map but makes perfect sense on a globe, how do you explain THAT, globetard?
- The global elite is making planes fly longer flight paths to maintain the globe lie
- By the way it doesn't cost them anything because planes don't use expensive jet fuel, they run on compressed air

Pick as many of those as you'd like, that's your response.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

"The planes fly by GPS which is managed by government satellites, so they can make the plane take whatever crazy route they want and make it look like another route."

"...wouldn't satellites require a spherical earth?"

"..."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fishmech posted:

1956 was the last year before Sputnik. When sputnik "launches" in 1957 and is the first satellite, it's the first lie in the conspiracy chain to hide flat earth. Because the orbit is either completely fake or it followed a different path to draw around the flat earth. And then when more "space" stuff happens it all helps hide flat earth evidence, or rather definite evidence the earth isn't a globe.

Space agencies have been given the primary role in hiding flat earth so they are enemy number one, and it can only start for real once a "successful launch" happens

Ah ok thanks this actually makes sense (for an extremely tortured definition of "sense").

Since flat-earthers think all the arguments and observations that go back to Greek times if not before are flawed somehow (because they have a third-grader's understanding of geometry), I guess Sputnik would be the first unambiguous proof of a round earth that anyone can directly observe so that's the first evidence that was affirmatively faked instead of just teaching kids fake science like "perspective".

One wonders if the conspiracy has been going on for thousands of years and the Illuminati decided they needed some convincing fake proof because Dr Rowbotham had uncovered the truth with the power of his logical mind and it was only a matter of time before the masses rejected fake science like "optics" and "surveying". So they made up space travel to keep the round earth lie going.

Or if they all believed the bad round-earth arguments of the Greeks and when the USSR sent up the first satellite and everything went wonky they said "oh poo poo earth is flat we'd better build a dome while everyone is sleeping to project a fake Sputnik to save face"

Or if the goal was faking space travel and all the governments just mistakenly believed in a round earth so when they faked space travel they just faked what space travel from a round earth looked like because that's what they and everyone else expects. But nobody's really been up there to see what shape earth is, NASA just fakes all that for other reasons.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was curious how that Nikon camera supposedly proves a flat earth, so I googled it and found a quora page and I was not prepared for the level of insanity in the comments.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-flat-earthers-believe-that-a-Nikon-P900-proves-that-the-Earth-is-flat

A guy named Larry Washom writes an incredible amount of text about how all academia lies, they're all run by a super secret satanic society, and it eventually just turns into him posting like fifty pictures of people with their hands in their jackets.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Bobulus posted:

"The planes fly by GPS which is managed by government satellites, so they can make the plane take whatever crazy route they want and make it look like another route."

"...wouldn't satellites require a spherical earth?"

"..."

There's no such thing as satellites. Anything we think is provided by satellites is provided by a combination of transmitters attached to high-altitude balloons and undersea/underground cables.

Remember, these are people who think that Nixon calling astronauts from a regular phone in the white house is damning evidence of the moon landing lie. Not that, perhaps, Nixon used terrestrial technology to call a number at NASA, who then patched him through to their transmitters.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

- The global elite is making planes fly longer flight paths to maintain the globe lie
- By the way it doesn't cost them anything because planes don't use expensive jet fuel, they run on COMPRESSED AIR

:psypop:

Please tell me there is a sourced quote for this?

:lol:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Build an extremely complex dome so that people in different fake "hemispheres" see different constellations in the exact way that would make sense on a round earth

You think epicycles are bad, try to work out the math that makes the stars' altitude changes make sense on flat earth

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

:psypop:

Please tell me there is a sourced quote for this?

:lol:

Source: flat earth facebook groups where it's a commonly-held belief. Just go look up the conspiracy videos about it, there are tons and that's the only evidence/"research" they have.

[edit] I've been silently observing a private FE group on facebook with 40k members for over a year. I can "debunk" all of your globetard beliefs no problem.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I was just thinking how so many of these conspiracies are just Buddhism for dumb lazy whites.

Perplexed and depressed by the absurdity and cruelty of the world, but not smart or curious enough to read thousands of years of theological and philosophical contemplation of the nature of perception, consciousness, existence, and illusion, they just patch together a worldview from movies and pop culture.

Everything is a computer program like the Matrix, or a constructed dome filled with actors like the Truman Show, I'm the only real person. There's a real world out there but instead of being a spiritual plane of enlightenment or a noumenal world of things-as-they-are or whatever, it's suburban America out there with computers and Hollywood but nicer than here with more consumer comforts that I'm being denied and no minorities in the neighborhoods.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

It reminds me of gnosticism usually. The world we see is evil and built by a fake idiot god and the real world is just beyond our perception, and you can learn all about it if you're inducted into the secret inner circle who learned the secret truth Jesus knew the masses were too stupid to understand.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

HBomberGuy made a great video exploring this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gFsOoKAHZg

Their best answer seems to be "I don't think those flights exist".

As to why even lie... Yeah, that's a stickier one, and another place the argument really falls apart. Usually it's because of whatever their other pet conspiracy theories are.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
For a great flat Earth take down, look no further than SA's very own Hbomberguy:

https://youtu.be/2gFsOoKAHZg

Beaten like a a flat Earther.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

It reminds me of gnosticism usually. The world we see is evil and built by a fake idiot god and the real world is just beyond our perception, and you can learn all about it if you're inducted into the secret inner circle who learned the secret truth Jesus knew the masses were too stupid to understand.

But like way dumber, as if the gnostics just kinda cribbed from a play they saw and the true reality isn't transcending material existence and reuniting the piece of the Godhead inside each of us with the whole of existence, instead all they can imagine out there is something like a better Roman Empire where they get the good food and the nice beds.

One of the more fun parts of the New Testament was Jesus making fun of people who couldn't imagine Heaven as anything other than "normal life but better and we're all rich" and asked him dumb questions like "if a widower remarries which wife does he get in the World To Come"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

There's no such thing as satellites. Anything we think is provided by satellites is provided by a combination of transmitters attached to high-altitude balloons and undersea/underground cables.

Remember, these are people who think that Nixon calling astronauts from a regular phone in the white house is damning evidence of the moon landing lie. Not that, perhaps, Nixon used terrestrial technology to call a number at NASA, who then patched him through to their transmitters.

People who believe in crazy conspiracy theories that are really easy to disprove generally assume that other people are as dumb as them and thus a worldwide conspiracy that has billions or trillions of dollars put into it will make stupid mistakes like "The boot treads on the suit don't match the footprints on the moon!" or "They had the flag blowing in the wind even though everyone knows there's no wind on the moon!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rotten Red Rod posted:

HBomberGuy made a great video exploring this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gFsOoKAHZg

Their best answer seems to be "I don't think those flights exist".

As to why even lie... Yeah, that's a stickier one, and another place the argument really falls apart. Usually it's because of whatever their other pet conspiracy theories are.

I posted this on the last page, and another vid, but I'm curious why Hbomberguy didn't get into the fundie aspect of it? Maybe he felt it made them look even crazier?

My favorite thing is the argument "what are they doing with 52 million dollars a day!!!????" Ya, like it can't be that expensive to run a space program and satellites and all that stuff. There has to be something sinister going on!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Rotten Red Rod posted:

His closing statement is pretty apropos I think. The rise in this stuff likely comes from our current dystopic world. Everything feels wrong and people are lashing out for answers as to why everything seems to be going wrong.

For flat earthers its just that a worldwide conspiracy is way more interesting than the truth.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I posted this on the last page, and another vid, but I'm curious why Hbomberguy didn't get into the fundie aspect of it? Maybe he felt it made them look even crazier?

My favorite thing is the argument "what are they doing with 52 million dollars a day!!!????" Ya, like it can't be that expensive to run a space program and satellites and all that stuff. There has to be something sinister going on!

Hbomb's whole thing with Measured Response was to just ruthlessly mock the people we're told to Engage in Debate with in the Marketplace of Ideas, so it makes sense he'd do the exact reverse and be overly generous to the people everyone is okay with mocking and dismissing. He's nothing if not a contrarian.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

People who believe in crazy conspiracy theories that are really easy to disprove generally assume that other people are as dumb as them and thus a worldwide conspiracy that has billions or trillions of dollars put into it will make stupid mistakes like "The boot treads on the suit don't match the footprints on the moon!" or "They had the flag blowing in the wind even though everyone knows there's no wind on the moon!"

Or that the "mistakes" are intentional subtle symbolism for clued-in true believers like them. See my post with the crazy lady who thinks the vast international conspiracy to use child as nuclear fuel is being exposed by faces of children being drawn on crumbs from a donut in the Simpsons. Man, if you type it out like that it's even more ridiculous.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

But like way dumber, as if the gnostics just kinda cribbed from a play they saw and the true reality isn't transcending material existence and reuniting the piece of the Godhead inside each of us with the whole of existence, instead all they can imagine out there is something like a better Roman Empire where they get the good food and the nice beds.

One of the more fun parts of the New Testament was Jesus making fun of people who couldn't imagine Heaven as anything other than "normal life but better and we're all rich" and asked him dumb questions like "if a widower remarries which wife does he get in the World To Come"

I'll give the Gnostics credit because they were trying to explain why Jesus and New Testament God are nice and cool, and old Testament God is such a grumpy piece of genocidal poo poo. So they came up with "that's not really God, it's a fake God named the Demiurge." God left them to run things while "she" (If I remember correctly Gnostics also believe God is the divine creator Sophia or something) went on cosmic vacation, and she got rid of him when she came back and saw all the dumb poo poo he was doing, like making drunken bets with Satan and setting the humans on fire.

It's still silly, but it reads to me like philosophers raised in a Greek tradition trying to make sense of God's bipolar disorder.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 10, 2019

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

His closing statement is pretty apropos I think. The rise in this stuff likely comes from our current dystopic world. Everything feels wrong and people are lashing out for answers as to why everything seems to be going wrong.

For flat earthers its just that a worldwide conspiracy is way more interesting than the truth.

Hell, just take the idea that an entire government agency and accompanying field of study is just a pile of trickery to fill their pockets and prop up the status quo, and all their very advanced equations and models they run on supercomputers can be easily disproven by just looking around and paying attention to the world around you, and the whole thing only works because society is built around maintaining the illusion to the point that countless people's lives are dedicated to it without even realizing it's all a lie.

That's basically a standard leftist critique of modern economics! It's just pointed at astronomy instead.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

It's funny because the massive propaganda and censorship apparatus you'd need to maintain a fraud of this magnitude would cost way more than that.

Like that direct Sydney-Santiago (or whatever route I forget) that Flat-Earthers say must not exist because it's impossible, anyone could uncover that fraud with the cost of a plane ticket or a few plane tickets, so they've got to run fake flights filled with crisis actors and somehow trick or pay off all the people who actually want to get from Sydney to Santiago in faster-than-flat-earth time to not take the flight or not complain about never being able to take the flight, and they have to do this three times a week every week and they have to do the same thing for every direct Southern hemisphere flight like Joburg-Perth and that's just the beginning of all the evidence they'd have to fake and

Although I guess if Flat Earthers assume that everyone else is as dumb as them and will believe anything they read on the Internet, then the whole charade would be cheap because you just need to list a flight on your website and no one will look further than that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

I'll give the Gnostics credit because they were trying to explain why Jesus and New Testament God are nice and cool, and old Testament God is such a grumpy piece of genocidal poo poo. So they came up with "that's not really God, it's a fake God named the Demiurge." God left them to run things while "she" (If I remember correctly Gnostics also believe God is the divine creator Sophia or something) went on cosmic vacation, and she got rid of him when she came back and saw all the dumb poo poo he was doing, like making drunken bets with Satan and setting the humans on fire.

It's still silly, but it reads to me like philosophers raised in a Greek tradition trying to make sense of God's bipolar disorder.

I wasn't slamming the gnostics, it's as good an explanation as any for the Problem of Evil, and it drew from centuries of Greek and Eastern philosophy.

I was commenting that most of these conspiracy theories are gnosticism-but-made-up-by-morons. The gnostics synthesized a religion from hundreds of years of philosophical thought and contemporary religions, conspiracy theorists watch a movie or TV show and think it's real. Gnostics imagined a real world of spirit so unlike the illusory material realm that it's practically unknowable to the human mind, conspiracy theorists can't imagine anything better than suburban-America-but-I-have-more-stuff-and-the-Jews-are-gone.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You're assuming that there really are billions of real people in the world. If you assume that then sure, it's obvious that eventually enough people will Book The Impossible Ticket that They can't cover it up any more by cancelling flights and letting Hillary do the occasional murder.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Goon Danton posted:

Hbomb's whole thing with Measured Response was to just ruthlessly mock the people we're told to Engage in Debate with in the Marketplace of Ideas, so it makes sense he'd do the exact reverse and be overly generous to the people everyone is okay with mocking and dismissing. He's nothing if not a contrarian.

I think he went into the research hoping there'd be more to their bullshit than there was, but then it turned out all their 'proofs' were such transparent denial of reality that there wasn't much interesting to dissect about them. And I definitely agree that just spending the whole video on a safari for crazy dipshits would feel like punching down.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

90s Cringe Rock posted:

You're assuming that there really are billions of real people in the world. If you assume that then sure, it's obvious that eventually enough people will Book The Impossible Ticket that They can't cover it up any more by cancelling flights and letting Hillary do the occasional murder.

I feel like the NPC alt right crowd would latch onto this idea, because then they are some of the only real people on the stage, the rest of us are just props or decoys.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Somebody should just do something like Randi's Million Dollar contest.

A million dollars to any flat earther who accompanies me on an impossible flight. If I can't successfully book the flight and get us on it in a reasonable timeframe or it can't get there faster than the flat earth map says is possible bam a million bucks.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
In recent Q news, this JFK Jr. twitter is getting fun. Somebody is walking an incredibly fine trolling line, although the 'crumbs' one is a bit on the nose.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kennedy1960John/status/1083402158698098689

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kennedy1960John/status/1082956524752908288

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

zoux posted:

Fred Christ Trump was a notorious conman and KKK member who refused black tenants and kicked Woody Guthrie out of his hotel.

quote:

“I suppose that Old Man Trump knows just how much racial hate/He stirred up in that bloodpot of human hearts/When he drawed that color line.”

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VitalSigns posted:

Or if they all believed the bad round-earth arguments of the Greeks and when the USSR sent up the first satellite and everything went wonky they said "oh poo poo earth is flat we'd better build a dome while everyone is sleeping to project a fake Sputnik to save face"

Note: the big ol dome has, by their stories, existed all throughout known history (which to some of them means 6000 years because its also a young earth creationism thing for them) and possibly for billions of years. Humans didn't make it, but in some branches of the mythology the governments/space agencies may be used to maintain or repair elements of human-facing portions of it to fit the will of the creator entities. Others will of course say that not even the secret Illuminati craft can actually reach and mess with the dome at all, since there's force fields or something preventing that.

Goon Danton posted:

Build an extremely complex dome so that people in different fake "hemispheres" see different constellations in the exact way that would make sense on a round earth

You think epicycles are bad, try to work out the math that makes the stars' altitude changes make sense on flat earth

You are thinking way too much. Remember, most of the night sky is already fake objects to them, stars obviously can't exist as there's only a small Sun and Moon which are a couple hundred miles up or something and maybe the planets are real and even tinier. Other stars are right out. So the "stars" and similar sky objects are projections and reflections, maybe even just straight up images on a display, and of course you can angle things off reflections and displays so that they look diferent on the "outside" areas of Earth instead of the "inside" (or as normal people would say the south and north).

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes the numerous indictments and guilty pleas of the countless Trump associates investigated is exactly the same as a conspiracy that says that Robert Mueller is working with the time traveling incarnation of Jesus Christ to stop Hillary Clinton's pedophile demon army.

What the christ this is the most absurd both sideism yet.

sonic weaponry, Ethiopia, and Putin's basilisks are all terms you need to search as well as TransCult, overpopulation, earth carrying capacity, gender critical, and womyn. It very quickly loops over to the right, but it does exist independent.

VitalSigns posted:

Ah ok thanks this actually makes sense (for an extremely tortured definition of "sense").

Since flat-earthers think all the arguments and observations that go back to Greek times if not before are flawed somehow (because they have a third-grader's understanding of geometry), I guess Sputnik would be the first unambiguous proof of a round earth that anyone can directly observe so that's the first evidence that was affirmatively faked instead of just teaching kids fake science like "perspective".

One wonders if the conspiracy has been going on for thousands of years and the Illuminati decided they needed some convincing fake proof because Dr Rowbotham had uncovered the truth with the power of his logical mind and it was only a matter of time before the masses rejected fake science like "optics" and "surveying". So they made up space travel to keep the round earth lie going.

Or if the goal was faking space travel and all the governments just mistakenly believed in a round earth so when they faked space travel they just faked what space travel from a round earth looked like because that's what they and everyone else expects. But nobody's really been up there to see what shape earth is, NASA just fakes all that for other reasons.

The answer to the majority of Christian conspiracy theories are generally even more hosed up and paradoxical than regular ones because fundies rarely have the same experience of reality as even the boring Christians who perceive truth, beauty, etc as divine grace and feel divine ecstasy and such.

When people are constantly in the siege mentality and go to mock torture camps to practice their own persecution and martyrdom, are taught that reading the Bible on one's own is a moral hazard that opens one up to possession, and are frequently taken on what I call "ritual fear safari" uh, yeah, I'm genuinely surprised these people aren't either systematically mutilating/defacing anything that can be anthropomorphized and losing fistfights with statues.

e: I mean, they are, but I'm surprised that we don't see more coverage.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 10, 2019

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Oh gently caress yeah how do I sign up for ritual fear safari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Go to a school that isn't accredited and get lectured before and after recess at the park about the satanic junkies and demons taking the form of deer and the aids rings, then, after being told not to talk to other kids at the park you had recess at, thank God or pretend to thank God that The Gay Agenda didn't snatch you up and take you to the secret catacombs where they have a devil church made of femurs.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 10, 2019