Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

DeimosRising posted:

Not 28 Days Later and Sunshine? I thought you were cool!

I haven't seen Sunshine, but yeah gently caress 28 Days Later is that goat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Whomever thought to isolate the Conan travelogues as their own show and put them on Netflix was a genius.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I tried to rewatch the first TMNT movie a couple months back and just couldn’t get through it. I loved it when I was a kid but something about it just put me to sleep this time around.

It grinds to a bit of a halt after April's apartment gets torched and they're on the old farm (edit: and Raph's beating is pretty gratuitous for a movie aimed at kids, I remember crying at it when I was all of like six years old), but then it picks right back up when the Turtles go back to New York.

Honestly, the thing that bugs me the most between TMNT and Secret of the Ooze is the switch from Corey Feldman to whatever chucklefuck they chose to voice Donatello in the sequel.

Timby fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 9, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Secret of The Ooze was a good kids movie and I loved it back then, but I feel like the first one holds up better watching it now. There's something about the whole grimey New York crimewave aesthetic I really dig and it's a pretty cool take on the source material. SOTO is like "lets make some fuckin toy$ babee!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

It grinds to a bit of a halt after April's apartment gets torched and they're on the old farm (edit: and Raph's beating is pretty gratuitous for a movie aimed at kids, I remember crying at it when I was all of like six years old), but then it picks right back up when the Turtles go back to New York.

Now that you mention it, this is exactly where I started to tune out and drift off. Even the apartment fight wasn’t particularly engaging.

I only ever had a passing interest in TMNT as a kid, so maybe the absence of nostalgia is coloring my perception a bit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I only ever had a passing interest in TMNT as a kid, so maybe the absence of nostalgia is coloring my perception a bit.

Well, yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

I'm not gonna pretend Sunshine is anywhere near his best movie, but dude, you need to see it

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I finally got around to tapping into my Netflix backlog and watched Kristy. All I could think of at the end was "what a super generic slasher film".

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 9, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Secret of The Ooze was a good kids movie and I loved it back then, but I feel like the first one holds up better watching it now. There's something about the whole grimey New York crimewave aesthetic I really dig and it's a pretty cool take on the source material. SOTO is like "lets make some fuckin toy$ babee!"

They both have their merits. The first one is surprisingly well-made and emotionally grounded. The second one is basically a Bill & Ted movie.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

I finally got around to tapping into my Netflix backlog and watched Kristy. All I could of at the end was "what a super generic slasher film".

It is generic, but I have a soft spot for movies where the victims turn the tables on the killers. I also remember the religious stuff was pretty drat stupid.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I tried to rewatch the first TMNT movie a couple months back and just couldn’t get through it. I loved it when I was a kid but something about it just put me to sleep this time around.

On the flip side, watching as an adult, I can appreciate a lot of Casey Jones' jokes a lot more.

e.g. "I never even looked at another guy!"

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

feedmyleg posted:

They both have their merits. The first one is surprisingly well-made and emotionally grounded. The second one is basically a Bill & Ted movie.

They don’t time travel until the third one!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Bill & Ted movies aren't well-made and emotionally grounded?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

K. Waste posted:

I have no idea what this means. I can't even tell if you like it or hate it lol .

Sunshine rules. People say the ending is bad but I think they are wrong. 28 days Later also rules.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

veni veni veni posted:

I have no idea what this means. I can't even tell if you like it or hate it lol .

Sunshine rules. People say the ending is bad but I think they are wrong. 28 days Later also rules.

"I haven't seen Sunshine but yeah, gently caress, 28 days later is [good] greatest of all time"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

K. Waste posted:

"I haven't seen Sunshine but yeah, gently caress, 28 days later is [good] greatest of all time"

Ahhh. I always thought that meant "game of all time" because I've only heard it to describe games haha.

Yeah man, you should really watch Sunshine.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

Ahhh. I always thought that meant "game of all time" because I've only heard it to describe games haha.

Yeah man, you should really watch Sunshine.

It's used in sports as Greatest of All Time and yes Sunshine and 28 Days Later are amazing. I'm with you that the ending of Sunshine is perfectly fine.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Oh good. I’d be shocked if you don’t dig Sunshine, it’s wild

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think S2 would have been better suited to a reduced episode order, like 4 or 5 episodes, and the removal of some of the minor arcs. I thought Rachel McAdams and Vince Vaughan did a decent job with what they were given.

I thought both of them were miscast, and the crying biker cop was poorly played too. Colin Farrell was terrific, and the episode where the gang crashes the high society orgy was bonkers, but otherwise I felt the show was a laughable snoozer punctuated with a few scenes good enough to partially redeem the rest.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Watch Sunshine, dipshit, then write us a goddamn post about it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Watch Sunshine, dipshit, then write us a goddamn post about it.

My wife hadnt seen it. It’s streaming on cinemax so I did the free trial through prime last week and it’s even better than I remembered. It challenges for my favorite Danny Boy movie and I freakin love Danny boyle

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Sunshine shreds

It's prob my third fave Boyle

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

precision posted:

Yeah Sunshine shreds

It's prob my third fave Boyle

And that’s only because you counted Peter twice

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I love the opening shot of Sunshine so much, and then also the rest of it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

People are complaining that Netflix is burying Solo, I guess this is probably part of their rollout. I came across it browsing through movies ... except it was the Spanish version. It had an English audio option, but the opening text and such were all in Spanish. Odd.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I wonder why Netflix wouldn't do more to advertise Solo, a film that so many people gave a poo poo about

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Netflix doesn’t bother marketing 99.999999% of the stuff on their service, especially if it’s not a Netflix Original because they think word of mouth does most of their work for them

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I mean, they did the same thing with Infinity War it's not exactly a run at Solo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They do the same thing with every big movie now

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Future Man Season 2 starts tomorrow.

Now is the perfect time to watch the 1st season of the funniest show no one knows about.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 11, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seems like it's just the Disney stuff they bury. And it's usually only for a month or so, then it'll work it's way into the thumbnails. I wonder if it has something to do with Disney's end of it. i.e. not loving with DVD sales and paid rentals.

Solo is better than it gets credit for though. It's pandering as all hell (what Disney Star Wars isn't though?) but it's actually fun to watch, unlike the new trilogy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I finally watched "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs," and it's every bit as incredible as people have been saying it is. I'm going to be ruminating on it for weeks, trying to figure out which vignette sticks with me for the longest. I think it's a tie between the first, titular one, and "Meal Ticket" - the lightest and the darkest ones, of course.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Majorian posted:

I finally watched "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs," and it's every bit as incredible as people have been saying it is. I'm going to be ruminating on it for weeks, trying to figure out which vignette sticks with me for the longest. I think it's a tie between the first, titular one, and "Meal Ticket" - the lightest and the darkest ones, of course.

the best scene in the movie was probably when the old caravan guide and the young widow go looking for President Pierce, who was hunting prairie dogs, and then they get ambushed by a sizable party of native americans

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Does all of Future Man drop at once? Or do they do one ep per week?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Superrodan posted:

Does all of Future Man drop at once? Or do they do one ep per week?
It’s all out now.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

netflix laziness posted:

They do the same thing with every big movie now

Netflix added a "latest" menu item in their latest UI update. If you go there you can see recently released and upcoming things. It's on that terrible "left menu" on xbox.

I still get the "new show email" for third party content, but i receive it weeks after it is available. They seem to only send day 1 emails for Netflix content.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
agreed that it makes sense netflix doesnt want to promote the stuff they know will end up on the disney streaming service in the not-too-distant-future.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

For some reason I thought I had read that they bury the biggest movies to avoid server congestion - slowly increasing the number of viewers getting the movie thumbnail means the load is spread over weeks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zachack posted:

For some reason I thought I had read that they bury the biggest movies to avoid server congestion - slowly increasing the number of viewers getting the movie thumbnail means the load is spread over weeks.

That's what I thought was going on, but there hasn't been a real test because the only monster releases they seem to get these days are Disney owned. But I think they really really want to avoid service interruptions due to server congestion if they can because they don't want people thinking of Netflix as a flaky service. They want it in people's minds as rock solid and reliable, I know for myself if it became a 50/50 shot of being able to watch a major release when I get home from work I'd drop Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Zachack posted:

This seems like it would only matter if they're counting on people browsing the list of movies and then not watching anything because they didn't have Solo—or whatever huge blockbuster we're talking about—promoted to them. Unless there's something where, like, Disney movies are super-high-bitrate and therefore take up more server and network resources to stream, it shouldn't matter what people are watching.

I mean, maybe they're counting on people bailing when they don't find anything, but I've heard the theory you're saying before and it's never been tied to anything said by Netflix itself, so I'm kinda suspicious of it.

To put it another way, the only problem with Netflix users streaming ten thousand copies of Solo simultaneously instead of Solo and nine thousand nine hundred and ninety nine other movies simultaneously should be making sure there's enough servers with a copy of Solo available to read from. It could theoretically happen that a movie isn't widely enough replicated to stream well to lots of people simultaneously, but if you have high enough expected demand to manually decrease the movie's priority for promotion, then you also have the knowledge you'd need to prepare your server system for everyone wanting to stream that movie when they do hop onto Netflix.

Netflix preferring to advertise its own content over Disney's makes way more sense.

edit: Note that Netflix has no problem telling everyone to watch Stranger Things and Bird Box and their other original content when it launches. Bandersnatch was front and center on my TV the day it was released. You wouldn't see this contrast with Disney content if it was a server issue.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 11, 2019