Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Considering that prime time cartoons like The Critic (and Capitol Critters and Fish Police and Family Dog and all the other also-rans that were cranked out overnight in 1990) were baldfaced responses to the Simpsons becoming a surprise hit, I wonder whether such a genre would even exist today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Considering that prime time cartoons like The Critic (and Capitol Critters and Fish Police and Family Dog and all the other also-rans that were cranked out overnight in 1990) were baldfaced responses to the Simpsons becoming a surprise hit, I wonder whether such a genre would even exist today.

Yeah I think it's possible South Park would have been the first and "invented" the genre because those guys were working so far outside the system and Comedy Central was willing to take big risks at the time. Plus the original South Park shorts were among the first viral videos, so they'd proved themselves popular before getting an investment, a lot like the Simpsons with Tracey Ullman

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
One thing that always impresses me about old Simpsons is how well the movie/tv references were done. Even if you don't get the reference, they're usually funny enough to stand on their own. The scene when Bart tells the guy the stream is shallow and he's yelling at Bart while the car is sinking nearly made me piss myself laughing as a kid. I didn't find out for years that whole scene was a homage to a movie from the sixties.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

One thing that always impresses me about old Simpsons is how well the movie/tv references were done. Even if you don't get the reference, they're usually funny enough to stand on their own. The scene when Bart tells the guy the stream is shallow and he's yelling at Bart while the car is sinking nearly made me piss myself laughing as a kid. I didn't find out for years that whole scene was a homage to a movie from the sixties.

Old Simpsons is full of layered jokes like that. Funny on the surface, and hilarious when someone knows the rest of it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

And the cat burglar character was an homage to a different movie from the sixties :haw:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Wow, just look at this clip and think of how it'd be animated in the new style. As a mid-show clip, it's a much fair-er comparison since title animations usually get extra attention.

Some things to note: mel's necklace moving, the hip twist, the way his face moves, burns' head turn, and a background of unknowns

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2Je06sjaUIu4zTrO/giphy.gif

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I think it's possible South Park would have been the first and "invented" the genre because those guys were working so far outside the system and Comedy Central was willing to take big risks at the time. Plus the original South Park shorts were among the first viral videos, so they'd proved themselves popular before getting an investment, a lot like the Simpsons with Tracey Ullman

But you also have to wonder if even THAT would happen. People got into the tv animation biz because of the Simpsons. The boom that happened inspired a ton of people to try and get their own “Simpsons” going on a major network. You could argue that if the Simpsons bombed hard, Cartoon Network’s “What a Cartoon”, Nickelodeon’s animation boom, Adult Swim, South Park, and even early internet flash shows wouldn’t have happened. It didn’t just prove animation could be profitable, it proved it could be successful with adults and could therefore bring in merchandising AND ad revenue.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Data Graham posted:

Considering that prime time cartoons like The Critic ... were baldfaced responses to the Simpsons
Hey now, Critic had people from the Simpsons involved. It was absolutely trying to capture the same audience, but it wasn't Fish Police level of poo poo.

GPTribefan posted:

But you also have to wonder if even THAT would happen.
Yeah. Without Bart as a prototype, I'm not sure Cartman gets to exist. Dennis the Menace was the typical 'bad' kid before then, right?
We would probably still get Nickelodeon's various cartoons (different demographic) and maybe Liquid Television on MTV as an animation showcase. Not much else I can see breaking through though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I would suspect eventually SOMETHING would happen and be successful, but who knows what it would be. Ralph Bakshi proved that cartoons work for adults back in the 70s, so eventually someone was going to carry that torch into the mainstream. Just a matter of who and when. Today’s tv landscape definitely would be vastly different, though, as whatever that “adult cartoon” wound up being would likely have shifted how everything after it came out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Critic was intentionally more aimed directly at kids than the simpsons was. Still a great show, just more 'wacky' at times.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CodfishCartographer posted:

I would suspect eventually SOMETHING would happen and be successful, but who knows what it would be. Ralph Bakshi proved that cartoons work for adults back in the 70s, so eventually someone was going to carry that torch into the mainstream. Just a matter of who and when. Today’s tv landscape definitely would be vastly different, though, as whatever that “adult cartoon” wound up being would likely have shifted how everything after it came out.

And animation always presents all kinds of creative options that live-action does not. Someone would have experimented with it one way or another. Two-camera sitcoms can only take a network so far.

Bakshi is an interesting example, because pre-CGI, animation was the only way to make Lord of the Rings work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Wasn't it a pretty big hit from the Ullman shorts though?

I personally subscribe to the "Fox was desperate to get something, anything on the air" theory because I cannot loving stand the Tracey Ullman shorts and have no idea how they made the transition from those to even season 1 quality, let alone what the show later became. And I like season 1.

I guess that being a baby when the show started airing, I just don't have a comprehension of how bad TV was that those shorts were considered irreverent/entertaining/funny.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I personally subscribe to the "Fox was desperate to get something, anything on the air" theory because I cannot loving stand the Tracey Ullman shorts and have no idea how they made the transition from those to even season 1 quality, let alone what the show later became. And I like season 1.

I guess that being a baby when the show started airing, I just don't have a comprehension of how bad TV was that those shorts were considered irreverent/entertaining/funny.

They're super awful, I agree, but they were a big hit, no?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah. Without Bart as a prototype, I'm not sure Cartman gets to exist. Dennis the Menace was the typical 'bad' kid before then, right?
We would probably still get Nickelodeon's various cartoons (different demographic) and maybe Liquid Television on MTV as an animation showcase. Not much else I can see breaking through though.

Outside of the Simpsons, MTV/Nick had a lot of success with cartoons appealing to teens/adults/pop culture with Ren and Stimpy and Beavis and Butthead without even really trying to go for that level of attention. Simpsons had the backbone of primetime family sitcom satire to it, which likely helped it on broadcast. But without the Simpsons having that 'family sitcom' appeal, we might have seen animators veer away from trying to make stuff for that prime-time market for them and just had cable like USA, Nick, MTV and Comedy Central pick up the slack by going for youth/counter culture audiences.

Fox did experiment a few times in the early 90s with the Batman:TAS airing in prime-time hours, while the Burton Batmania was still somewhat alive, too. Again, without the primetime sitcom success of the Simpsons as the thing everything was getting measured against, MAYBE Fox would have stuck with and supported Batman:TAS a bit longer and a bit harder. We might have had the family action/adventure cartoon format become the defining prime-time animation format, instead. Stuff like Gargoyles, Johnny Quest, etc. might have ended up developed less for a Saturday morning/afterschool audience and changed into something for a prime-time. By the time further attempts like Invasion America came out, it might have been accepted as a norm rather than something new.

Anime is/was another option. Late 80s it was still largely only a format that had a small cult following in the US, but IF the Batman Era had been a real thing, coupled with the Power Rangers boom, someone like Carl Macek probably could have found a largely PG-13 anime series or two and recut and redubbed it for a US prime time audience. We might have been watching some retitled, redubbed version of Gundam on NBC by 1994 ,a few years before the actual anime boom started in the US.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

Anime is/was another option. Late 80s it was still largely only a format that had a small cult following in the US, but IF the Batman Era had been a real thing, coupled with the Power Rangers boom, someone like Carl Macek probably could have found a largely PG-13 anime series or two and recut and redubbed it for a US prime time audience. We might have been watching some retitled, redubbed version of Gundam on NBC by 1994 ,a few years before the actual anime boom started in the US.

And I thought we were already living in the worst timeline.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

They'd announced that they wouldn't release them on DVD anymore.

Then because of "fan demand" they picked up where they'd left off and released Season 18 on DVD at the end of 2017, and they have the commentaries recorded for Season 19.

I guess technically a single fan might have demanded it. Maybe one of the writers's mother

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
By around that same time, TBS/TNT was doing occasional late-night showings of various anime/adult animation productions: Vampire Hunter D, Robot Carnival, Twilight of the Cockroaches, Heavy Metal.

If the anime boom in the US was instead started about 3-5 years sooner, with content that could become popular without it being based on video games or fighting anime, as well as content chosen and edited down to appease network censors and audiences, there might have been a different overall tone to the fandom and format in the US over the next 20+ years.

Some short series or productions might have gotten a US Broadcaster release as miniseries (as were still popular at the time) with the draw being some fairly popular actors redubbing the voices. It would have also been in the midst of the Disney animation revival with their LIttle Mermaid, BatB, Lion King and Aladdin successes, anyway, most of which had celebrity voices in them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Critic was intentionally more aimed directly at kids than the simpsons was. Still a great show, just more 'wacky' at times.

Ah yeah. Kids love Orson Welles and Marlon Brando jokes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Kids love fat people jokes

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Data Graham posted:

And the cat burglar character was an homage to a different movie from the sixties :haw:

Holy crap :psyboom:

One thing I also appreciated about the early episodes of Family Guy was how a lot of the old things Peter referenced were shows and movies that a guy his age would have probably enjoyed. It made him seem more like a real person and not just a vehicle for jokes.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Detective No. 27 posted:

orson welles and marlon brando used to get ripped on in every kid's cartoon back in the day - hell pinky and the brain is basically an entire show about making fun of orson welles.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

As a kid that grew up watching shows like the critic and pinky and the brain, yes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm not supporting the idea that The Critic was aimed at kids due to its mad-cap writing, but the writes come in with age-appropriate cultural cache and that's why we get stuff like that.

See also Looney Tunes jokes that rely on mid 20th century icons or music.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Brain is modelled after Welles, yeah, but that aspect really isn't a draw for kids. I don't think I even knew about the connection until maybe a decade after Pinky and the Brain ended.

Though fat guys are funny, so I guess that checks out.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

FilthyImp posted:

I'm not supporting the idea that The Critic was aimed at kids due to its mad-cap writing, but the writes come in with age-appropriate cultural cache and that's why we get stuff like that.

See also Looney Tunes jokes that rely on mid 20th century icons or music.

The Looney Tunes are actually interesting because in a lot of cases they were more stealing acts than referencing celebrities. Like, Bugs Bunny is funny because Groucho Marx was funny, but understanding that Bugs is by and large a ripoff of Groucho doesn't enhance the comedy any way like understanding the references in the Simpsons often can. The jokes in the old Looney Tunes work or don't work on their own merits whether or not you understand what they are referencing or stealing from, and the knowledge or lack thereof of context really doesn't help or hinder.

The Mad Scientist is funny and entertaining because he's a weirdo with an odd demeanor and voice/cadence. Understanding that his voice and appearance were based on Peter Lorre doesn't really make that any more or less funny.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Fox did experiment a few times in the early 90s with the Batman:TAS airing in prime-time hours, while the Burton Batmania was still somewhat alive, too. Again, without the primetime sitcom success of the Simpsons as the thing everything was getting measured against, MAYBE Fox would have stuck with and supported Batman:TAS a bit longer and a bit harder. We might have had the family action/adventure cartoon format become the defining prime-time animation format, instead. Stuff like Gargoyles, Johnny Quest, etc. might have ended up developed less for a Saturday morning/afterschool audience and changed into something for a prime-time. By the time further attempts like Invasion America came out, it might have been accepted as a norm rather than something new.

Americans have always sucked doing action/adventure adult animation. Casltevania and Spawn are the only two exceptions.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The best part about Bart the Genius is the animation in that math train sequence. It's just total insanity and I don't think the current show would even attempt it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Atlas Hugged posted:

The best part about Bart the Genius is the animation in that math train sequence. It's just total insanity and I don't think the current show would even attempt it.

True. Still, almost every animated show does some experimental stuff in its first season or two that never shows up again. Cartman doing the "I love to singa" dance (or Stan getting that great big goofy smile when Wendy kisses him or whatever). i can think of other examples too.

I'm not sure what my point is here

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
South Park still does experimental stuff at times. Such as anime ninjas and World of Warcraft.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Last Chance posted:

seasons 1 and 2 are really good you fuckin doofus

Remember that 130th episode special that was hosted by Troy McClure? The one where he shows a clip of the very first episode, and then after it cuts back to him with a horrified look on his face and then he plays it off as "and they haven't changed a bit". Even they were making fun of how the show started off. :smug:

Speaking of Troy, was he even IN the first 2 seasons?

You know, I was wondering why there were so many couch gags from the first 10 seasons that I wasn't aware of, even though I'm sure I've seen every single one of those episodes multiple times, and then it hit me. For some weird reason, Fox did this thing where subsequent airings of the show used the same couch gag for multiple episodes (if I remember correctly, it was the one with duplicates of the Simpsons already being on the couch when they got there). I legit don't understand why they did this because it meant someone had to go through several of these episodes, remove the original couch gag, and replace it with the one i mentioned. So utterly bizarre.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

South Park still does experimental stuff at times. Such as anime ninjas and World of Warcraft.

anime ninjas was 14 years ago and World of Warcraft was 12 years ago

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

Remember that 130th episode special that was hosted by Troy McClure? The one where he shows a clip of the very first episode, and then after it cuts back to him with a horrified look on his face and then he plays it off as "and they haven't changed a bit". Even they were making fun of how the show started off. :smug:

Speaking of Troy, was he even IN the first 2 seasons?

You know, I was wondering why there were so many couch gags from the first 10 seasons that I wasn't aware of, even though I'm sure I've seen every single one of those episodes multiple times, and then it hit me. For some weird reason, Fox did this thing where subsequent airings of the show used the same couch gag for multiple episodes (if I remember correctly, it was the one with duplicates of the Simpsons already being on the couch when they got there). I legit don't understand why they did this because it meant someone had to go through several of these episodes, remove the original couch gag, and replace it with the one i mentioned. So utterly bizarre.

Couch gags count towards the running time of the show. Later on fox increased the number of ads they run, lowering the amount of time per show slightly. It's likely they replaced the couch gags to fit into this time, or for similar reasons.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Mr Interweb posted:

Possibly they subbed in shorter ones to squeeze in more commercial time?

e; f, b

I've been listening to talking Simpsons, and it's interesting when they point out that when you can tell plots were thin because they used extended openings, long segments of TV watching, etc. The show's made me appreciate seasons 5-6 and especially 7-8 more than 3-4.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 11, 2019

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

Possibly they subbed in shorter ones to squeeze in more commercial time?

Like how specific jokes get cut from the syndication run to fit more ads

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Extra commercial times WOULD make sense, but many of the ones they removed (not all, but many) were about the same length as the one they replaced it with, which is why it's weird.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Like how specific jokes get cut from the syndication run to fit more ads

Since I watched the show so many times in syndication, those were the versions I always remembered. When I got seasons 1-10 back in 2010 or so, it was like getting all sorts of deleted scenes and jokes!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anytime they used an extended couch gag means they were actively trying to eat run time because they made the episode too short or ran out of steam.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oddly enough I feel like I've seen the extended gag with the cancan dancers and circus elephants more than any of the others.

Or maybe it's just the one I remember most because it kind of stands out more than any of the other golden age couch gags.

Edit: Now that I think about it most of my Simpsons watching happened on one of the Canadian channels that syndicated it, rather than an American station. Probably Global? That might have something to do with it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 11, 2019

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Watching the opening for season 1 is weird because it's got more gags in it that didn't carry over to future seasons (Bart stealing the bus stop sign for instance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Oddly enough I feel like I've seen the extended gag with the cancan dancers and circus elephants more than any of the others.

Or maybe it's just the one I remember most because it kind of stands out more than any of the other golden age couch gags.

That was the only long one they had for a long time, so when they needed to kill time with a couch gag, it was the only option.