Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

my bony fealty posted:

how did someone who wrote a book series about the scrappy poor mixed race kids and misfits defeating the evil racist wealthy class turn into such a gently caress?

oh right she got rich as hell lmao

Don't they also have a word for non-magic-using people? Mudders? Something insulting about their genetics/breeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Now there's a :ironicat:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
also, nobody who committed warcrimes was punished and we see no evidence things have changed in any way for the better.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

prefect posted:

Don't they also have a word for non-magic-using people? Mudders? Something insulting about their genetics/breeding.

don’t forget the literally hook nosed goblins that run the magic banking system

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

goddamn she lets herself get owned so hard in the replies

this is a pro click for some savage burns

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

my bony fealty posted:

how did someone who wrote a book series about the scrappy poor mixed race kids and misfits defeating the evil racist wealthy class turn into such a gently caress?

The hero of the book is a trust fund baby gifted with heirlooms that enable him to accomplish what he couldn't do otherwise

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

don’t forget the literally hook nosed goblins that run the magic banking system

they were never described as hook nosed in the books

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Fallen Hamprince posted:

they were never described as hook nosed in the books

one of the like three named goblins is literally named “griphook”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fallen Hamprince posted:

lmao that momentum has to pretend brexit doesn’t exist because otherwise people might ask what Jeremy will do to stop it

imao that liberals don't think other poo poo matters to people than Brexit and that Brexit has taken the attention away from increasing poverty the past 2.5 years.

Wait, that's not funny, it's infuriating, gently caress off lib.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

CoolCab posted:

one of the like three named goblins is literally named “griphook”

Unless it was (((griphook))) I'm not going to read into it that far.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

forkboy84 posted:

imao that liberals don't think other poo poo matters to people than Brexit and that Brexit has taken the attention away from increasing poverty the past 2.5 years.

Yeah Brexit is good now rear end in a top hat

Fly along fubpee

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Yeah Brexit is good now rear end in a top hat

Fly along fubpee

What

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

forkboy84 posted:

:eyepop: @ all this never thought I'd see one in the wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE8CJwXSPRs

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

correct posts?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

correct posts?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

forkboy84 posted:

look can't we all just sort this out and go back to the halcyon days of 2012

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The one thing I know for sure is there's absolutely no correlation between why Brexit happened and people seeing their lives steadily get worse. That's two unrelated issues right there.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

doesn't like everyone ban british meat imports because of mad cow or did those get lifted

I think they got lifted. I can't speak for the whole of the UK but in Northern Ireland the beef market is incredibly tightly regulated, since we weren't part of the BSE crisis and went to pretty extreme lengths to disassociate ourselves from the mainland UK (one of many occasions where the DUP insisted that NI absolutely shouldn't be treated the same as the rest of the UK).

If I buy some steaks from a butcher here, they come labelled with the farm that the cattle were raised on, as every cow is tagged and tracked through every stage of the process from farm to market.

There's a big natural foods market in the US for butter from NI cattle as all our cows are grass-fed (cow food) as opposed to amphetamine-laced Skittles or whatever the gently caress US factory farms feed their cattle.

Of course post-Brexit when all our rural economy is conglomerated into standards-free US megafarms all our cows will be grown in intravenously-fed Matrix lifepods.

Clyde Radcliffe has issued a correction as of 03:36 on Jan 11, 2019

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

forkboy84 posted:

The brexit is the most consequential thing to happen in Britain in most people's lifetimes. It will greatly increase poverty by making things cost more while at the same time making britain less prosperous.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1083397695782506496?s=19

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

my bony fealty posted:

Harry Potter being an aristocrat with unlimited money is a major part of the books

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Glenn Quebec posted:

The closer Brexit get, the more obvious the garbage Lexiteers get. Labour's really got to split to get away from them at this point.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

goddamn

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Surprise Giraffe posted:

The closer Brexit get, the more obvious the garbage Lexiteers get. Labour's really got to split to get away from them at this point.

lmao

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Surprise Giraffe posted:

FBPE and Lexiteer, the two genders

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Think there's a pretty clear binary division in Brexit opinions tbh

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Think there's a pretty clear binary division in Brexit opinions tbh

If it was a binary then there would be an option with majority support and this would be far less complicated

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/JonTheEgg/status/1083510114382942208

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is she still transphobic

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

She's a British feminist over the age of 45 so probably.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Kurtofan posted:

Is she still transphobic

Much like the antisemitism, she goes quiet every time it comes up

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

What the gently caress, excuse my French, is a Lexiteer

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

An insane mind posted:

What the gently caress, excuse my French, is a Lexiteer

Someone who wants Brexit for leftist reasons

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I'm almost more annoyed by the laziness of the racial stereotype. loving hack.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Someone who wants Brexit for leftist reasons

Ok, but how is Brexit going to deliver on any leftist ideals if by all accounts you are going to turn into a less stable and affluent version of the US?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

An insane mind posted:

Ok, but how is Brexit going to deliver on any leftist ideals if by all accounts you are going to turn into a less stable and affluent version of the US?

It won't, Lexiteers are morons.

The EU is a racist organisation that is in many ways fundamentally mismanaged and still cleaves to the neoliberal consensus against all sense or reason, but our shooting ourselves in the head isn't going to help that.

Corbyn was right when he was campaigning for remain on the basis of supporting and liaising with other leftist movements in Europe to gradually force change within the union

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

An insane mind posted:

There are EU rules on state aid

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The idea is popular with tankies because the EU is inherently liberal in orientation and therefore leaving it is good.

They basically just ignore that tanking the economy is going to be awful for poor people and the Tories will probably stay in power until 2022 and will just sign lots of free trade deals which strip back worker rights and consumer protections. Because if they were smart they'd not be tankies.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I love the idea of EU born leftist movement washing over the nations like a tide and finally dealing with some of the problems that are a boil on that same EU and maybe taking our first steps to a bonafide utopia. It's just so stupidly easy for the right wing to miss characterize it and people gobble it up.

I look at Brexit and I look it my own country's dumb rear end strong men and I lose hope. Less on a local level but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

JFairfax posted:

There are EU rules on state aid

Which don't actually conflict with anything on the labour manifesto, and are pretty effective at preventing companies ransoming counties for hand outs to prevent them leaving.