Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Lord Ludikrous posted:

That’s what the B58 is for.

Not available for US market F31s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I believe they’re S001s. I’d blame it on them being runflats but my 1 Series had Pirelli P Zeros and later Goodyear Asymmetric 3s and both were much better.

Everyone raves about Michelin Pilot Sport 4s so I’m just going to go for those when the time comes.

I hated the S001s as well. Went from pilot super sports on a 328 to S001 on a 335 and it was mediocre. Also going with PS4 when the time comes.

And yes, the 330 and M2 are miles apart. Even for a 335, I would really advocate for one with the M Sport package, the brake size is very noticeable. I feel like my dad's 335gt with the standard brakes is sub par at stopping.

Regarding N55 vs B58, from a tuning perspective, the N55 readily makes more power with more air in, whereas the B58 really needs more air out, which means replacing the exhaust first.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Buy this: http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=5694&form_display=51

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I saw this in person and it was loving beautiful: https://www.bmwofcincinnatinorth.com/new/BMW/2019-BMW-M+Series-9ff17a8d0a0d0c141995638214d88c08.htm

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That frozen paint would be an absolute nightmare if it's anything other than a garage queen.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

meatpimp posted:

That frozen paint would be an absolute nightmare if it's anything other than a garage queen.

Yeah they had a bunch of reminders for the workers there on how to clean it, haha. But drat it looked good

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can't imagine the amount of cocaine I'd need to think that spending $130k on a M3 is a good idea

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Ooooh, $750 savings. Whattadeal.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

BlackMK4 posted:

I can't imagine the amount of cocaine I'd need to think that spending $130k on a M3 is a good idea

Haha i didn't say it was a good idea. Just that it was beautiful.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is the first time I've seen the new tail lights... very cool looking

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Saw one just like it at BMW of Ft Lauderdale a few weeks ago. If you bought that you'd have to get used to being pulled over by the fuzz doing 10 under.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Lightbulb Out posted:

Z3 would be cool of some kind, so would an e30 project but I think the suspension isn’t backwards compatible other than the bushings.

I’ll buy your door cards ;)

Compact shares suspension with the Z3 (E36 front/E30 rear). door cards are shared with 4 door E36 if you’re looking for some; they’re a dime a dozen.

meatpimp posted:

a) Make him pay for it regardless. He had permission to drive it, but that permission comes with responsibility. If he was half a man, he'd already be cutting you a check or sourcing a shell.

b) Sell the car as-is to meatpimp.

c) No profit, but :smith:

he’s committed to “making it right”, though I haven’t yet defined that, even to myself.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

snugglz posted:

Compact shares suspension with the Z3 (E36 front/E30 rear). door cards are shared with 4 door E36 if you’re looking for some; they’re a dime a dozen.

I didn't know that the door cards were the same as 4 door E36s, but I'm well aware of the other parts ;)

**EDIT** I just looked it up on realoem and it only shows E36 compacts compatible...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=CG53-USA-06-1995-E36-BMW-318ti&diagId=51_2167

I didn't think the rear subframe/trailing arms are compatible though - but it's been a while since I looked it up. Z3 compatible, but not E30 compatible.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 11, 2019

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

To everyone I have told to buy an E90 M3 you cucks missed your opportunity: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-m3-18/ Even with some maintenance done that is pretty easy this thing was cheap! And it was outsold by a 335is. I am disappointed in all of this.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-335is-2/

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Can I please also join the gently caress today club?

Except the clown who smashed my e36 up was my own dumb rear end. Still not sure how I managed this, it was dark and I straight up didn't see the other car until my headlights lit up the side of it. It should have been completely impossible to miss that car coming since I was looking out for a car in that direction and was not distracted, so either I need to re-evaluate whether I even have eyes and have instead been operating on some kind of primitive echo-location all my life or the other driver didn't have his headlights on. He was 80 years old in a '17 Versa so it's possible but no way to know for sure. Went ahead and took my lumps since the fact of the matter is he had right of way.

Really fucks up my confidence in driving, first accident I've had, but honestly I feel worst about my car, it's not much on paper but it's one of the few things that bring a smile to my face every morning and it sucks seeing it smashed up in possibly the most muppet-headed accident imaginable.

I think I've mentioned in this thread over the years that I plan to keep it until I am a skeleton so it's definitely getting fixed. I think my best bet is to scour junkyards for another black 97-99 e36 and pull all the front end bits. eBay also has various knock-off parts, anyone have experience with the fitment on those? I'm leaning toward no (screw you ebay window regulator, I did not enjoy doing that job twice).

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Somewhat Heroic posted:

To everyone I have told to buy an E90 M3 you cucks missed your opportunity: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-m3-18/ Even with some maintenance done that is pretty easy this thing was cheap! And it was outsold by a 335is. I am disappointed in all of this.

Wow, what a deal. I currently have a 335is and enjoy the car but strongly desire an M3. Did not know about the BAT sale!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the cheapest i can find a (OEM) style 65 is five hundred loving dollars

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Told u 2 go lightweight

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
heard you were putting square apex arc8s on it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i have more taste and money than sense

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
oh, in that case i'd misheard and it was bbs lm

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Good god, that's a steal at that price.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Good god, that's a steal at that price.

Yep, but on the other hand it's high-mileage and accident history. That's the bottom of the market for E90/E92 M3s, in my opinion.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I actually saw this earlier today and thought about it. Good price, but the accidents, stance, and New Jersey history scared me.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

meatpimp posted:

Yep, but on the other hand it's high-mileage and accident history. That's the bottom of the market for E90/E92 M3s, in my opinion.

Yeah you can find a bunch of them for less than 20k if you don’t care about them having 100,000 on the clock. I’d be more worried about the accident history than the mileage myself.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Modus Man posted:

Yeah you can find a bunch of them for less than 20k if you don’t care about them having 100,000 on the clock. I’d be more worried about the accident history than the mileage myself.

A "bunch" is really overstating it. You can find a handful under $20k if you don't care about what you're getting at all, but all of those cars tend to be pretty suspicious beyond just the mileage. That BAT car actually seems to be way better than what you'd find at that price point, even considering the mileage and accident damage. You really need a $22-23k buy-in before you're serious about looking at M3s, and you're still kind of bottom fishing if you can't add several thousand on top of that for the right car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
this one has been hanging on the lot for a bit, wonder what the catch is

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/d/bellevue-2011-bmw-m3-sedan-6-speed-123k/6778910915.html

2011 with comp package
nice aftermarket wheels
123k miles
6speed

drat, no idrive on this which is kind of a plus imo

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 12, 2019

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

this one has been hanging on the lot for a bit, wonder what the catch is

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/d/bellevue-2011-bmw-m3-sedan-6-speed-123k/6778910915.html

2011 with comp package
nice aftermarket wheels
123k miles
6speed

drat, no idrive on this which is kind of a plus imo

Judging from what SomewhatHeroic posted when he was looking, this looks to be a fairly low optioned car. That combined with the high miles. The carbon dash is really awesome though, and I agree, not having iDrive isn't a bad thing on this. The worst thing about used cars is old, clunky nav/entertainment screens.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's definitely a mileage thing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ok boys, quick take requested. I found an e92 335xi with huge sigh the N54, around 100k miles. Looking at the carfax...surprisingly the car doesn't appear to have had any major issues. Guy just had the water pump replaced, and the fuel injectors were done early on (as they should), and that's it. It has some extended warranty thru September of next year, but idk if I trust that. I'll have 3k left over budgeted for repairs. Is this a terrible decision and should I just wait for an N52 328xi to pop up instead so I don't have to deal with the N54 problems?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Judging from what SomewhatHeroic posted when he was looking, this looks to be a fairly low optioned car. That combined with the high miles. The carbon dash is really awesome though, and I agree, not having iDrive isn't a bad thing on this. The worst thing about used cars is old, clunky nav/entertainment screens.

That is absolutely a 2011 $58k base model with zero options selected besides the comp package which was I think, was another $2,500. I'm not sure how we can tell it has the comp package and the vin lookup doesn't help. The owner could have put different springs/shocks on there and I don't recall that steering wheel being part of the package so it may have been a replacement as well?

I was seriously pondering ordering an M3 sedan right at the end there in late 2010 and had the ordering email drafted and ready to go. :smith:

The car has a production date of 2010-04-09 (Sept) and the owner must have ordered it that way as no dealers would have stocked them that way. The iDrive/NAV from 2011 was good enough and would have been useful if it was installed, but if you want an "old-new school M3" with no frills here you go. The one owner thing is great too.

It looks like the old preferred Vin lookup site (https://www.bimmerarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html) has gone commercial, meh.

This free one sort of works: https://decoder.bvzine.com/

I am guessing the lack of options is scaring weak minded buyers off. What we are saying is go check the car out and get a PPI before someone else does. :getin:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 12, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Plus, it only has 2000 miles since May of last year. What happened to it since then that had it end up in Seattle? Why is the tow plug missing from the front bumper?

Could be some specific reason, along with the miles.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I see the tow plugs missing on a lot of cars. I assume people take them or they fall out. Maybe it's connected, maybe it's not?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Alarbus posted:

I see the tow plugs missing on a lot of cars. I assume people take them or they fall out. Maybe it's connected, maybe it's not?

It's an immediate flag for me. Those plugs don't fall out on their own, and they're a pain to replace. So, if they're missing, I look to find out why. Also, looking at the pictures, the rear bumper looks like it may have been resprayed...

None of these are necessarily deal breakers, but things to investigate when looking at a $20k 10 year old car with 125k miles.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

There are fairly good (probably great now, since it's been years since I've owned one) drop-in replacements for the nav screen in E9xs that will give you a touch screen, a modern interface, and still work with the iDrive/steering wheel controls. Without iDrive, there's not really anything you can do to have a modern infotainment system that still looks completely stock. About the only thing you miss out on having is Android Auto/CarPlay, but you're basically shoving an Android tablet into your dash so eh.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That is a very low optioned car. The *pUriSTs* would have a wet dream over that car. It would be a stripped, manual seats with speed cloth inserts, manual transmission, no iDrive "single hump" dash, no sunroof, no enhanced premium sound. Definitely not a ZCP because it doesn't have the adjustable dampers. Someone probably bought that with the intention of having a weekend track car.

That thing is sitting because it is 100% a mileage thing. Fortunately these are really robust cars and will probably go down as one of the easier and more durable generation BMWs as long as preventative things like rod bearings are replaced. The transmissions are strong, even in DCT form, the chassis doesn't divorce itself from the subframes, the engine has shown to last really long (when service intervals are followed). Occasional throttle actuators crapping themselves out are now cheaper to replace and a DIY. The suspension is reasonably durable and will need replacement eventually like other BMWs. The cooling system and interior fitment/durability is lightyears ahead of the previous generation. This particular car should be bought, money should be budgeted for a rod bearing replacement if not done already, check brake life as well. If not done that will be a :stonk: kind of payout. With those two things done drive the balls off of it. That engine bay and interior are not what you typically expect to find in a car with 120k+ miles unless someone loved that car.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Rod bearings as a
Preventative Maintenance
operation. Wow.

~~ Just BMW Things ~~

They're why I sold my e86

VVV Pretty sure it affects every S-code engine since the S52.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 13, 2019

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

~~ Just S65 Things ~~

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
That link had me browsing BAT auctions and apparently someone bought an e39 540i for $32 loving grand

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-540i-42/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Party Alarm posted:

That link had me browsing BAT auctions and apparently someone bought an e39 540i for $32 loving grand

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-540i-42/

Yeah I was shocked by this