Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

im too stupid to read that graph

it's just a radar chart, same variables as a bar chart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
if you want to have a dumb nerdy way to voice your opinion on candidates why even use this format though

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
cause anime

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ah yes, that most famous centrist philosophy, Nazism.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Memento posted:

I get what they're going for here but that doesn't stop me from loving hating it

Can you feed them berry blocks to make those contest stats go up?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Ah yes, fascism, well known for being closer to freedom than to slavery, and only slightly less free than anarchism.

Every anarcho-communist looking at that graph: :confused:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

They're nodding along with the explicit equivalence between democracy and anarchy though. :anarchists:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

So, the country built on hundreds of years of slavery is the furthest away from slavery?

It would be a better graph if they listed the historical US on the left (since they are using a historical Germany and not present day Germany), and then removed everything else.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Louis XIV: the leftiest leftist of all

And we've finally come full circle

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
Or half circle, whichever one means opposite

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Some kind of... revolution, perhaps

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Forget the horseshoe theory. I just came up with the shoestring theory. Basically, you can tie a shoestring in knots, lay or suspend it in any position, illustrating that any school of political thought can be close to any other school of political thought under right circumstances.

Please, buy my book Why Things Are Good As It Is (And At The Same Time Worse Than Ever) on Amazon and iTunes.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Fairly sure I’m not the only one who would 100% buy that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Can you walk after you tie your shoestrings?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nenonen posted:

Can you walk after you tie your shoestrings?

Only by taking very tiny steps. Illustrating how current political climate ultimately serves incrementalism.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you trip while trying to go up a hill, you know how the weimar republic felt!

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Paladinus posted:

Forget the horseshoe theory. I just came up with the shoestring theory. Basically, you can tie a shoestring in knots, lay or suspend it in any position, illustrating that any school of political thought can be close to any other school of political thought under right circumstances.

Please, buy my book Why Things Are Good As It Is (And At The Same Time Worse Than Ever) on Amazon and iTunes.

This might be the first one of these I've actually agreed with

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

if you want to have a dumb nerdy way to voice your opinion on candidates why even use this format though

because radar charts are sometimes used in sports analysis as well, and it is 538 after all

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think that's a rare defensible use of radar charts, though they implicitly suggest all the factors are of equal importance and the "data" aren't actually data of course. Like basically I would have more to say about the factors they chose than about the method of presentation but whatever.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pangstrom posted:

I think that's a rare defensible use of radar charts, though they implicitly suggest all the factors are of equal importance and the "data" aren't actually data of course. Like basically I would have more to say about the factors they chose than about the method of presentation but whatever.

:agreed:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

pangstrom posted:

Did they really have to put "the left" on the right hand side though??

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Dixville posted:

Did they really have to put "the left" on the right hand side though??
Yeah okay that was dumb / I didn't catch that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What gets me is that the only max score they felt the need to point out was Sanders and "The Left" despite also apparently giving max scores to Harris and "Black voters", Castro and "Hispanic/Asian", and Klobuchar and "Party Loyalists"

Also which category do you end up in if you're a half-Black, quarter-Hispanic, quarter-Asian leftist millennial party loyalist? Or, put more simply, what if you're a black leftist? Do you get placed in the racial category or the ideological category? Like many reductive political paradigms, it implies that everyone fits into a single category of identity and their voting preferences are then determined by that identity.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
You would be a very strong candidate by their calculus, basically. Checking all the boxes!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Now weight the scores by the actual proportion of likely voters in each category and the graph might start to mean something.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

That's just a poll at that point.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Paladinus posted:

Jeremy Bearimy is not just time, but politics.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

vyelkin posted:

What gets me is that the only max score they felt the need to point out was Sanders and "The Left" despite also apparently giving max scores to Harris and "Black voters", Castro and "Hispanic/Asian", and Klobuchar and "Party Loyalists"

Also which category do you end up in if you're a half-Black, quarter-Hispanic, quarter-Asian leftist millennial party loyalist? Or, put more simply, what if you're a black leftist? Do you get placed in the racial category or the ideological category? Like many reductive political paradigms, it implies that everyone fits into a single category of identity and their voting preferences are then determined by that identity.

To play devil's advocate, they might count a person who is in multiple categories (i.e. anyone who is not white and holds any political viewpoint) multiple times, once for each category they fall into, as it seems to be measuring strength of support rather than number of supporters. But then the obvious question is why don't they have a "support amongst whites" category.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Red Bones posted:

To play devil's advocate, they might count a person who is in multiple categories (i.e. anyone who is not white and holds any political viewpoint) multiple times, once for each category they fall into, as it seems to be measuring strength of support rather than number of supporters. But then the obvious question is why don't they have a "support amongst whites" category.

This is all about strength of support in these categories. They have set up 5 groups, and the idea is:

quote:

Candidates don’t have to pick any one group; rather, their goal is to build a majority coalition from voters in (at least) three out of the five groups. There are a lot of ways to do this: If you’re choosing any three from among the five groups, there are 10 possible combinations to pick from, and all of them plausibly form winning coalitions. In 2016, for example, Hillary Clinton assembled a coalition of Party Loyalists, black voters and Hispanic voters, largely ceding the other two groups to Bernie Sanders, but still winning the nomination with room to spare.

They point out further that, statistically, other than "The Left", all of these are majority women, which is why there's no "Women Voters" group either. White voters, statistically, are in the "Party Loyalists" and "The Left" categories.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

charts sounding exceedingly worthless, except maybe for narrow intercandidate comparisons?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Somewhere between anarchist and nazi sits the GOP.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Memento posted:

I get what they're going for here but that doesn't stop me from loving hating it

I don't know who Kirsten Gillibrand is but she's masterfully calibrated these demographics, perfect pentagon min-maxing

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Phlegmish posted:

I don't know who Kirsten Gillibrand is but she's masterfully calibrated these demographics, perfect pentagon min-maxing
Totally levelling off all characteristics is the exact opposite of min-maxing. :mad:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

You're not min maxing if your stats are balanced.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Much like any other ideal entity, philosophers still argue whether she actually exists, or is an absract concept inferred from the existence of other politically milquetoast white waspish women.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i min-max my nutrient intake to obtain a perfectly spherical body. I'm getting close but it's still fairly lumpy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What would Hitler’s pentagon look like?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Totally levelling off all characteristics is the exact opposite of min-maxing. :mad:

Her dump demographics are obviously on a different, non-pictured pentagon

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What would Hitler’s pentagon look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

:drat: