Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

I promise last one for a while.
Did another resin cast and made some knife handles.

That is just beautiful.

chrisgt posted:

That looks amazing, post all of these you want.

This. Or make your own thread for us to follow. The stuff you make is intensely eye-catching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

I wouldn't be able to reproduce that exact look twice. The burl cap dictates the wood and the resin pours change the look of the resin. That is made with a Green base resin and then mat black, blue pearl, and white pearl all mixed together. I can use the same ingredients and get a similar look but it would have slight differences.

That’s what makes it so great!

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Oh hey, new page. Guess I should post something with actual content...

I was watching an episode of Ask This Old House last week and they were making a Simple Mud Bench in the Build It part of the show (my favorite part.) They made it look reaaaally easy, and I need a mud bench, so...

I built it. (Mostly. It's not primed/painted yet. Also don't have a cushion yet.)

(Please no questions on how to build your own sweet work table, it's a trademarked secret.)

One of my favorite parts of this thread is seeing the things that non-experts build, since it helps me learn. In that spirit, let me share some things I learned when building this (and bear in mind, total novice here):

- As previously noted, using a straight edge and circ saw instead of a table saw is painful.

- Cutting/Routing MDF produces quite a lot of sawdust. A mask would have been smart. I was not smart. (I did end up doing most of it outside, and then using a leaf-blower to clean it after every cut. Red-neck dust collection system, aw yeah.)

- It is important to note the direction that your router spins if you are only using a straight edge on one side. If you go the right way, lovely straight line. If you go the wrong way, less useful but still lovely circle.

- Double check measurements - both that I've made, and just as importantly from the Cut List paper! I managed to both misread 46 1/8th as 46 1/2, then cut it at 46 1/4. I was pretty impressed with myself after that one.

- Along these same lines, do not measure 46" at the top, 46" at the bottom and then use your straight edge to make a line connecting them. Your measurements may be ever so slightly off and your angle left behind won't be exactly 90. Instead, measure from one side and then use a t square to draw your line.

Now my question for you all:

As you can see, I routed all the way through front to back on the top piece. This is because I cut the piece into top/bottom measuring from the wrong side. I'd like to just glue in a dutchman using some of the scrap I have left over, but it would need to be the exact same depth as the routed out area. How do I get the 3/4" MDF scrap down to the roughly 3/8" to plug it? Or should I not bother?

e: gently caress, thought this was the woodworking thread. Will still take any recommendations.

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 2, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

As you can see, I routed all the way through front to back on the top piece. This is because I cut the piece into top/bottom measuring from the wrong side. I'd like to just glue in a dutchman using some of the scrap I have left over, but it would need to be the exact same depth as the routed out area. How do I get the 3/4" MDF scrap down to the roughly 3/8" to plug it? Or should I not bother?
Cut slightly oversize, then hand-sand it down until it precisely fits the hole you want to fill. This is in general the solution to "how do I get something to be exactly right?" Measurements by the numbers will always be a bit off because humans aren't CNC machines. But we're pretty good at using an existing piece to make a match for that piece.

Your results look pretty good, by the way. Good luck with the painting!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Without a table saw it’s going to be kind of a pain to get it exactly right, but basically cut a strip slightly wider than 3/8” and plane/sand it flush. Alternatively, you could ignore it and glue and nail a piece of solid wood 1x2 or some sort of molding/trim on the front to cover it. This also has the advantage that solid wood will wear a little bit better on the corner/edge than MDF and let you dress it up a little if you want.

Looks good in any case and it’ll look great painted. Not only does MDF produce a ton of dust because it is a bunch of dust glued together (maybe that’s what all that dust to dust stuff is about?) all the glue in it has a pretty substantial dulling effect on cutting tools like router bits and sawblades.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alright, the woodworking on this was somewhat subpar, but I was rushing it to finish it before Christmas, and didn't have access to a tablesaw until the end, just eyeballing stuff with a circular saw. Anyway, I thought it turned out decently, so I wanted to show it off.

My dad's side of the family is pretty mechanically-inclined. Grandpa was heavily into woodworking. Dad was a mechanical engineer and has been the go-to fixit guy for a while. I dabble with 3D printing and the occasional electronics project, but haven't really had the time to tinker much. Anyway, dad helped me out this year laying down a new wood floor and staining shoe-molding to match and such. I learned a lot and wanted to thank him with a fun little Christmas gift. So I made him a puzzle box.

The box has three locks holding the lid in place. A key lock, a combination lock, and a seemingly 'impossible' double-headed bolt with a couple nuts. You have to unlock all three before the hinged lid will open. I made it out of walnut and stained it lightly.

The first step is pretty easy. If you look on the underside, there's a bolt sticking out that seems out place. Rotating it does nothing, but if you push it like a button, a hidden panel pops out:

Inside the compartment is two new things: a magnet and a UV flashlight. Using the UV flashlight reveals a holiday message

...as well as clues to open the combination lock. There are three different color letters hidden on the exterior of the box, which match up to three different spots on the five-letter dial. The remaining two letters must be guessed, but it's a word, so there's only one possible combination on the dial that works.

The magnet will stick to various metal bits on the outside of the box, but it will also stick to a seemingly wooden spot nowhere near metal on the underside.

This triggers a child-proof lock inside the box and a second hidden compartment will pop out, containing the key.

All that will open two of the locks, leaving only the bolt. This is actually a pre-made puzzle lock made by a company called Hanayama. Solving the puzzle will allow the wooden block to be slid upward, getting you access to the interior, where I put a simple, heartfelt note thanking my dad for all the effort he's made over the years to teach me useful skills.

Like I said, it's far from perfect. If I were to do it over again, I'd change a few things. Inset the hinges so there's not such a big gap at the top. Probably widen the box so it's no so narrow and tall. Use a darker stain. Tighten the locking mechanism so it's not so obvious that there's a loose panel on the side.

But my dad refused to do anything else until he solved it, which took about an hour, so I consider it a success. :)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Oh hey, new page. Guess I should post something with actual content...

I was watching an episode of Ask This Old House last week and they were making a Simple Mud Bench in the Build It part of the show (my favorite part.) They made it look reaaaally easy, and I need a mud bench, so...

I built it. (Mostly. It's not primed/painted yet. Also don't have a cushion yet.)

(Please no questions on how to build your own sweet work table, it's a trademarked secret.)

One of my favorite parts of this thread is seeing the things that non-experts build, since it helps me learn. In that spirit, let me share some things I learned when building this (and bear in mind, total novice here):

- As previously noted, using a straight edge and circ saw instead of a table saw is painful.

- Cutting/Routing MDF produces quite a lot of sawdust. A mask would have been smart. I was not smart. (I did end up doing most of it outside, and then using a leaf-blower to clean it after every cut. Red-neck dust collection system, aw yeah.)

- It is important to note the direction that your router spins if you are only using a straight edge on one side. If you go the right way, lovely straight line. If you go the wrong way, less useful but still lovely circle.

- Double check measurements - both that I've made, and just as importantly from the Cut List paper! I managed to both misread 46 1/8th as 46 1/2, then cut it at 46 1/4. I was pretty impressed with myself after that one.

- Along these same lines, do not measure 46" at the top, 46" at the bottom and then use your straight edge to make a line connecting them. Your measurements may be ever so slightly off and your angle left behind won't be exactly 90. Instead, measure from one side and then use a t square to draw your line.

Now my question for you all:

e: gently caress, thought this was the woodworking thread. Will still take any recommendations.

If you are going to paint it, put a 2-3 inch trim piece on the front (or all 3 sides) and putty the butt joint line flush. It will hide the routes and give it a bit of dimension to the cubbies. You could even pick up some baseboard molding if you wanted to add some flair.

Bobulus posted:

Alright, the woodworking on this was somewhat subpar, but I was rushing it to finish it before Christmas, and didn't have access to a tablesaw until the end, just eyeballing stuff with a circular saw. Anyway, I thought it turned out decently, so I wanted to show it off.

My dad's side of the family is pretty mechanically-inclined. Grandpa was heavily into woodworking. Dad was a mechanical engineer and has been the go-to fixit guy for a while. I dabble with 3D printing and the occasional electronics project, but haven't really had the time to tinker much. Anyway, dad helped me out this year laying down a new wood floor and staining shoe-molding to match and such. I learned a lot and wanted to thank him with a fun little Christmas gift. So I made him a puzzle box.

The box has three locks holding the lid in place. A key lock, a combination lock, and a seemingly 'impossible' double-headed bolt with a couple nuts. You have to unlock all three before the hinged lid will open. I made it out of walnut and stained it lightly.

The first step is pretty easy. If you look on the underside, there's a bolt sticking out that seems out place. Rotating it does nothing, but if you push it like a button, a hidden panel pops out:

Inside the compartment is two new things: a magnet and a UV flashlight. Using the UV flashlight reveals a holiday message

...as well as clues to open the combination lock. There are three different color letters hidden on the exterior of the box, which match up to three different spots on the five-letter dial. The remaining two letters must be guessed, but it's a word, so there's only one possible combination on the dial that works.

The magnet will stick to various metal bits on the outside of the box, but it will also stick to a seemingly wooden spot nowhere near metal on the underside.

This triggers a child-proof lock inside the box and a second hidden compartment will pop out, containing the key.

All that will open two of the locks, leaving only the bolt. This is actually a pre-made puzzle lock made by a company called Hanayama. Solving the puzzle will allow the wooden block to be slid upward, getting you access to the interior, where I put a simple, heartfelt note thanking my dad for all the effort he's made over the years to teach me useful skills.

Like I said, it's far from perfect. If I were to do it over again, I'd change a few things. Inset the hinges so there's not such a big gap at the top. Probably widen the box so it's no so narrow and tall. Use a darker stain. Tighten the locking mechanism so it's not so obvious that there's a loose panel on the side.

But my dad refused to do anything else until he solved it, which took about an hour, so I consider it a success. :)

I love puzzle boxes, was this your design or did you follow instructions on the various hidden locks?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

I love puzzle boxes, was this your design or did you follow instructions on the various hidden locks?

Other than the double-nut puzzle mentioned above, the rest was my design. I saw what scraps I had available, ordered a few bits off amazon, then tried a few things until I found stuff that worked. The biggest mistake I made was not pre-planning enough. For example, the hinges I'd ordered (because they looked olde timey) used screws that were longer than the 1/2" thickness of my boards. I could get shorter brass screws at my local hardware store, but their head diameter was too small and the hinge would have slipped right off. So I had to relocate them to a thicker part of the box. That's also why the locking block on the top isn't 1/4" thick as originally planned, but instead a scrap of 2x4 that I trimmed down.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Protip: if you have a screw that's a bit too long, you can use a hacksaw or pair of bolt cutters to make it shorter. You lose some holding strength but as long as there's a few rows of threads it should still hold OK.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, but you'd have to cut it after screwing it in, right? In which case there'd be a hole on the other side you'd need to patch in some way. Unless there's a trick I don't know.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
You can cut it to size and just make a pilot hole to get it started.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Good to know.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Random screw related trivia-Wood screws were fairly crudely made by hand until c.1815 when some machine made screws appear, but the early machine made screws were made without points. Around 1850 someone invented a machine to make wood screws with threaded points. Those have the standard ever since, but it means screws without points helps date furniture to the first half of the 19th century, and handmade screws usually means it's 18th century/early 19th.

So if you need to cut a screw off, people had to basically do that for 50 years-just drill a pilot hole. Alternatively, screw the screw in (but not all the way through the wood), back it out, cut it off, and screw it back in.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Random screw related trivia-Wood screws were fairly crudely made by hand until c.1815 when some machine made screws appear, but the early machine made screws were made without points. Around 1850 someone invented a machine to make wood screws with threaded points. Those have the standard ever since, but it means screws without points helps date furniture to the first half of the 19th century, and handmade screws usually means it's 18th century/early 19th.

So if you need to cut a screw off, people had to basically do that for 50 years-just drill a pilot hole. Alternatively, screw the screw in (but not all the way through the wood), back it out, cut it off, and screw it back in.

And those screws and being able to reproduce identical threads was due to Joseph Whitworth. One might call it the dawn of precision machining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-xMCFOwllE&t=452s

I had to use wire cutters to take off about an 1/8" off the screws in the handles on that knife. I don't know if they were not meant to be countersunk or suppose to be thicker handles.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Did a bleach stencil shirt that messed up in a cool way, was going for an AKIRA style thing

With a printed stencil and a bit of tape and garbage bag.

A spray of 60-40 bleach and water and I left it in the sun with an oven tray under the sprayed area.

I definitely sprayed too much and less spray for longer is the way forward but, this is a cooler shirt now

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Friends are having a babby so I made them a rattle:

Copied entirely from this design. It's been a long time since I turned a thing and I forgot how much fun it is, esp. given that I got to use a fancy-rear end Laguna.

Also, I have no idea how big a rattle is supposed to be, so I winged it. Ended up being about 5" tall. The kid'll grow into it!

Trabant fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 11, 2019

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Trabant posted:

Friends are having a babby so I made them a rattle:

Copied entirely from this design. It's been a long time since I turned a thing and I forgot how much fun it is, esp. given that I got to use a fancy-rear end Laguna.

Also, I have no idea how big a rattle is supposed to be, so I winged it. Ended up being about 5" tall. The kid'll grow into it!

How lovely and old world, very cool

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
looks like that thing is gonna hurt when they clock you in the skull with it

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Made a couple more rings.

Played with doing a laser etched band all the way around and inlay. This was just a test blank I made out of cherry and the inlay is just a dusting of gold with a clear coat to fill in flush. Now that I have figured out the math for the rotary I am going to play with some designs and better wood. I can't wait till we get a metal laser engraver so I can start doing those.

Also made a ring out of that resin/burl block I made. The pearl and black swirls look really cool when light hits it from different angles. It turns from black to white in some areas depending on how you move and on the finger it is much more opaque. I think I am going to do several more out of this block to sell.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

JEEVES420 posted:

Made a couple more rings.

Played with doing a laser etched band all the way around and inlay. This was just a test blank I made out of cherry and the inlay is just a dusting of gold with a clear coat to fill in flush. Now that I have figured out the math for the rotary I am going to play with some designs and better wood. I can't wait till we get a metal laser engraver so I can start doing those.

Also made a ring out of that resin/burl block I made. The pearl and black swirls look really cool when light hits it from different angles. It turns from black to white in some areas depending on how you move and on the finger it is much more opaque. I think I am going to do several more out of this block to sell.

How much would you part with one of these rings for?, I'm looking for something like this and like your work

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

JEEVES420 posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never bought one of these before - If I was to order one of these rings from you, do I measure more towards the tip or more towards the balls?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

How durable are the resin rings? Like could one be worn every day?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

sneakyfrog posted:

looks like that thing is gonna hurt when they clock you in the skull with it

Oh yeah. There's a pretty good chance the parents will think the rattle is great but will never let the kid handle it on account of it being, you know, a small riot police baton.

Jestery posted:

How lovely and old world, very cool

Thanks!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
There was at least twelve months between the time my daughter started to enjoy rattles and the time she realized she could club us at random with whatever she was holding so I think it'll be fine!

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Baby’s first cudgel. :sun:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im all about raising warriors so its not a judgement at all

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jestery posted:

How much would you part with one of these rings for?, I'm looking for something like this and like your work

I usually sell ones like this and simple wood band ones for $25. I will put up an SAMart thread in the next week.

Slugworth posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never bought one of these before - If I was to order one of these rings from you, do I measure more towards the tip or more towards the balls?

Always better to be safe than sorry. You would want to measure at the widest part of the appendage to make sure it doesn't get stuck. If you want something to accent just the tip I can turn a little top hat for you.

Scathach posted:

How durable are the resin rings? Like could one be worn every day?

It holds up to normal wear but can get scratched if you are doing rough stuff with your hands. I ordered some AlumiUV resin that is completely scratch resistant, just waiting for it to be delivered. I can then do a dip in it to harden the whole ring.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Our rental townhouse has some really nice tri-fold doors in the living area, but we haven't been a able to use them as we have indoor-only cats.

In our last rental we made a "catio" out of bird netting, but it looked pretty bad. After learning that insects could easily fly through bird-netting, I made this one out of proper flyscreen.

Since we are renting, it doesn't physically attach to the house in any way - I just built to to match the door opening and it sits there. Had to put some shims in since the courtyard ground is sloped away from the house.

I've never done any framing before so I probably did stuff all wrong. I planned on using nails but wanted to take it apart when we have to move. Even painted it to match the exterior!

I put the cross-piece in so I could attach a larger shelf for some plants or maybe a bed for the cats to sit on.

Right now the cats are happier they get some more outside time, and it's nice to be able to air the place out occasionally. A successful weekend project :)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

A schizophrenic mate of mine had an episode a few months back and texted me this piece of art(?)

And it really kinda stuck in my head so I called him up and over a week or two we did it large size with a bit of flair from myself

Making the backing

Finished the blocking/stenciling

A few coats of white with a rattle can or 5

And the finished product with my mate

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
Awesome. gently caress you, brain disorder.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I've got a project underway and I think there's some OSHA administrator out there who just broke into a cold sweat and doesn't know why...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Trabant posted:

I've got a project underway and I think there's some OSHA administrator out there who just broke into a cold sweat and doesn't know why...

Nice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Anodizing?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The opposite in my case, but changing the mixture and reversing the current would do that. (looks like Trabant is set up to do the same)

I was pulling rust off of pieces of a machine I was rebuilding. It works amazingly well.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Granite Octopus posted:

Our rental townhouse has some really nice tri-fold doors in the living area, but we haven't been a able to use them as we have indoor-only cats.

In our last rental we made a "catio" out of bird netting, but it looked pretty bad. After learning that insects could easily fly through bird-netting, I made this one out of proper flyscreen.

Since we are renting, it doesn't physically attach to the house in any way - I just built to to match the door opening and it sits there. Had to put some shims in since the courtyard ground is sloped away from the house.

I've never done any framing before so I probably did stuff all wrong. I planned on using nails but wanted to take it apart when we have to move. Even painted it to match the exterior!

I put the cross-piece in so I could attach a larger shelf for some plants or maybe a bed for the cats to sit on.

Right now the cats are happier they get some more outside time, and it's nice to be able to air the place out occasionally. A successful weekend project :)

Get some furring strips, and paint them to match, and use some trim nails to attach them along the edges of your screens. It'll help the screens last a lot longer without pulling away from the frame, and give it a more finished look. They're cheap too.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Get some furring strips, and paint them to match, and use some trim nails to attach them along the edges of your screens. It'll help the screens last a lot longer without pulling away from the frame, and give it a more finished look. They're cheap too.

That’s a good idea. A furring strip can just be any strip of wood yeah? I can already see the screens tearing in a few places around the staples so the extra support would be good. The cats haven’t decided to try ploughing their way through the screens but I reckon the could if they really wanted to...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Motronic posted:

The opposite in my case, but changing the mixture and reversing the current would do that. (looks like Trabant is set up to do the same)

I was pulling rust off of pieces of a machine I was rebuilding. It works amazingly well.

Yup, it was an electrolysis de-rusting effort for me too. I had two major fuckups though: not enough surface area of the sacrificial rebar and, more importantly, a crappy solution of washing soda. It just refused to dissolve and would clump/settle on the bottom. Figured it was because of cold water on a cold day so I eventually took a smaller bucket and dissolved a bunch of carbonate in very hot water first before adding it to the big bath. It eventually somewhat worked, but I think it was nowhere near as efficient as it could've been. I had a 12V/2A power supply going which ended up topping out at around 4V after a couple of hours.

So, if you have suggestions on how to make it better, I'm all ears! I'm only about 20% of the pieces in, there's plenty of rusted iron left to experiment on.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Remember that electrolysis is line-of-sight, position your anodes and workpiece accordingly. It may take several sessions for a thorough result.

Watching Youtube videos and whatnot, there seems to be a wide disparity of opinion on what amperage to use, so I'm also eager to hear the input of others.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Remember that electrolysis is line-of-sight, position your anodes and workpiece accordingly.

This. Look at the number of anodes I have in my bucket. I was slightly turning my workpieces during the process.

And I was also regularly removing the anodes and cleaning the collected rust off with a flap disc on an angle grinder. That's why I put them in with spring clips - they need to come out a lot. When the bubbling slows down or stops and your workpiece isn't clean it's time to clean the anodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H posted:

It may take several sessions for a thorough result.

"Multiple sessions of moving things around if you have an oddly-shaped workpiece", is what I meant.