Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

C-Euro posted:

On the bright side, if Patricia can't do better than 5-11 against that schedule he'll be on the hot seat a lot sooner than we all predicted.

If coach "won't take no for an answer" wins less than ten games against that schedule he should be out on his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Play posted:

But it's their D line that is more or less a joke and needs to be comprehensively overhauled. Can't get pressure, can't stop the run (they gave up almost 2,000 rushing yards this season). This makes it very difficult in coverage and ILB run support. The only guy consistently sacking was Fackrell, and usually he was just mopping up when a QB left the pocket. Very little natural (unblitzed) pressure. Get one or two good pieces there that can actually threaten the quarterback and watch the defense magically get better.

Uh. What? The DL is one of the strong parts of the defense but got extremely banged up, losing all three starting linemen. Clark and Daniels both are great against the run and generate pressure. The backups don't generate pressure, but are fine in run support. The issue is that there was only one olb that could do anything and he was bad (Fackrell), one ilb that can play (Martinez), and nothing behind them depth wise.

ETA: they gave up rushing yards because the offense couldn't stay on the field at all and we're often playing from behind. Similarly, the line would generate pressure, but with only one olb doing anything the QB could escape the pocket easily.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 10, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

And a loving LOL to YOU, sir. Hahahaha

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

On Green Bay sports Radio today, they played some audio from the Thompson presser about this.
They interviewed LeFleur ONE time.
He ended the interview with a simple "Sir, would you have a time frame for a follow up interview or result on this?" And they had to hit the dump button on Thompson for the first time ever, because at the podium he literally said "Yeah, so I already knew the answer so I fed him some bull-**** and I guess we'll let you know after we complete some further rounds of interviews."

Less than 24 hours later Thompson called him while he and his wife were driving to pick up their kids and said "Welcome aboard". He said his wife was driving and almost got into a car accident. One interview, less than a day later, nailed it. Not sure what to expect, but I'm pretty intrigued, I can say that. In his opening presser he seemed awed to be involved with the Packers (I mean what do you expect him to say, really, but it seemed kinda legit so...) Let's see...

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

On Green Bay sports Radio today, they played some audio from the Thompson presser about this.
They interviewed LeFleur ONE time.
He ended the interview with a simple "Sir, would you have a time frame for a follow up interview or result on this?" And they had to hit the dump button on Thompson for the first time ever, because at the podium he literally said "Yeah, so I already knew the answer so I fed him some bull-**** and I guess we'll let you know after we complete some further rounds of interviews."

Less than 24 hours later Thompson called him while he and his wife were driving to pick up their kids and said "Welcome aboard". He said his wife was driving and almost got into a car accident. One interview, less than a day later, nailed it. Not sure what to expect, but I'm pretty intrigued, I can say that. In his opening presser he seemed awed to be involved with the Packers (I mean what do you expect him to say, really, but it seemed kinda legit so...) Let's see...

Murphy, Thompson got put out to pasture where he can awkwardly clap as much as he likes

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hot Diggity! posted:

Uh. What? The DL is one of the strong parts of the defense but got extremely banged up, losing all three starting linemen. Clark and Daniels both are great against the run and generate pressure. The backups don't generate pressure, but are fine in run support. The issue is that there was only one olb that could do anything and he was bad (Fackrell), one ilb that can play (Martinez), and nothing behind them depth wise.

ETA: they gave up rushing yards because the offense couldn't stay on the field at all and we're often playing from behind. Similarly, the line would generate pressure, but with only one olb doing anything the QB could escape the pocket easily.

I think that used to be true but now it needs some work. Daniels played 10 games this season and he notched up 10 tackles, 1 sack, and 1 tackle for loss.. As far as I could tell he clearly had a down year. Yes there were injuries and they weren't playing him always but even before then I thought they were struggling a bit. Packers average time of possession was 29:35, a very average number tied for 22nd in the league. Other teams with similar or lower possession times didn't have the same struggles defending the run.

Kenny Clark is good, for sure. But one main player isn't enough these days unless it's a very special player.

Plus I'm not sure how you can say that "Fackrell is mostly bad and Matthews is all bad but the line... the line is good." Those OLBs are part of "the line". So yes, I believe the Packers should and will target defensive line early in this draft, especially given how great a draft it's looking for that. Tons of high quality OLBs (which should be primary focus) and DTs. Run defense I'm overall less concerned about than getting natural pressure quickly, true. But they'll both come from the same place.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think being selective about where you work, especially when you're a multimillionaire, is being a stubborn idiot.

Yeah, plus there is the possbility that he put that "I only want the Jets" thing out there because he wasn't getting interviews. It's fine, he can afford to bide his time, someone will give him a franchise eventually I don't doubt it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Play posted:

I think that used to be true but now it needs some work. Daniels played 10 games this season and he notched up 10 tackles, 1 sack, and 1 tackle for loss.. As far as I could tell he clearly had a down year. Yes there were injuries and they weren't playing him always but even before then I thought they were struggling a bit. Packers average time of possession was 29:35, a very average number tied for 22nd in the league. Other teams with similar or lower possession times didn't have the same struggles defending the run.

Kenny Clark is good, for sure. But one main player isn't enough these days unless it's a very special player.

Plus I'm not sure how you can say that "Fackrell is mostly bad and Matthews is all bad but the line... the line is good." Those OLBs are part of "the line". So yes, I believe the Packers should and will target defensive line early in this draft, especially given how great a draft it's looking for that. Tons of high quality OLBs (which should be primary focus) and DTs. Run defense I'm overall less concerned about than getting natural pressure quickly, true. But they'll both come from the same place.

Again, Daniels was playing hurt even before being put on IR. It's not the line's job to cause huge tackle / sack numbers in Pettine's scheme. They're there to eat up space and open lanes for the linebackers to attack or for blitzing secondary pieces. Depth to the line took a massive hit early on in the season losing Wilkerson and then Daniels and then Clark. The bigger issue is they would get gouged by rushes to the outside...because the OLB depth was non-existent. Perry is great against the run, but constantly hurt, Matthews is good at throwing himself at where a RB was five seconds ago. Part of the reason why Martinez has such high tackle numbers is he'd be able to clean up the rushes to the outside.

The OLBs aren't part of "the line" what the hell are you talking about? And 22nd isn't average in a 32 team league. It's literally bottom 10!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hot Diggity! posted:

Again, Daniels was playing hurt even before being put on IR. It's not the line's job to cause huge tackle / sack numbers in Pettine's scheme. They're there to eat up space and open lanes for the linebackers to attack or for blitzing secondary pieces. Depth to the line took a massive hit early on in the season losing Wilkerson and then Daniels and then Clark. The bigger issue is they would get gouged by rushes to the outside...because the OLB depth was non-existent. Perry is great against the run, but constantly hurt, Matthews is good at throwing himself at where a RB was five seconds ago. Part of the reason why Martinez has such high tackle numbers is he'd be able to clean up the rushes to the outside.

The OLBs aren't part of "the line" what the hell are you talking about? And 22nd isn't average in a 32 team league. It's literally bottom 10!

What I meant by "average" is that it was extremely close to the mean, only about 30 seconds of game time. It's a lame excuse.

Yes I know there were injuries and that slowed them down. I agree with you on all that. To me, distinguishing between defensive ends and OLBs is totally pointless for the purposes of this discussion. If you always play on the line of scrimmage, rushing the quarterback and defending the run, then you are part of that level of the defense. So given that, we're not even in disagreement. They need more outside pass rushers at the very least, and if there's still good talent at DT I could see them taking a chance there too. Thinking "oh, that will completely fix itself once guys get back from big injuries" doesn't make sense to me.

One positive on the run defense is they didn't allow many long rushing plays. Only one play of 40 yards or more and it was 41 yards. But they were getting blocked up and giving up a lot of yards on that first level. If you don't agree with any of this that's fine, these are my conclusions from watching the Packers this year, they don't have to be yours.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Ron Zook not retained fuuuuuuuuuuuck yeah baby!!!!!!!

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME
If a TE always runs routes instead of blocking, are they a WR? If a SS can’t cover deep, are they a LB? This is an interesting philosophical argument in which I prefer the deontological approach

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Big Jay Cutler posted:

If a TE always runs routes instead of blocking, are they a WR?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11167916/nfl-arbitrator-rules-jimmy-graham-new-orleans-saints-tight-end

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

What do you call it if he don't block and he can't catch?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

LabyaMynora posted:

What do you call it if he don't block and he can't catch?

Jimmy Graham

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

A lion

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
If the Lions go 9-7 they will throw Fatt Matt a goddamn parade.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
When I saw the Lions schedule I texted a friend who has season tickets that I think the Lions can pull off 7-9 next year. And he immediately replied by saying 0-16.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Stafford's worth at least a few wins.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

LabyaMynora posted:

Stafford's worth at least a few wins.

I'm not sure you can bank on that after this last season

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I work with a Lion's superfan now. I hope the Lions go 0-16 forever.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

I work with a Lion's superfan now. I hope the Lions go 0-16 forever.

I used to feel sorry for the Lions. Then during the Jim Schwartz/Ndamukong Suh years I began to hate them, and that hate still burns even though neither of those guys have anything to do with the team anymore.

But as long as Stafford's healthy and playing, they won't go 0-16 again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

LabyaMynora posted:

I used to feel sorry for the Lions. Then during the Jim Schwartz/Ndamukong Suh years I began to hate them, and that hate still burns even though neither of those guys have anything to do with the team anymore.

But as long as Stafford's healthy and playing, they won't go 0-16 again.

It has been 4 days and he informs me about every new coach or that he hopes golden Tate comes back all day. Rape coach is bringing his Patriots ideals to the lions and will establish consistency and super bowl wins.

I hate the lions and their insane fans.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Don't hate lions fans, they are victims of Stockholm syndrome.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

LabyaMynora posted:

Me in a nutshell. gently caress the Lions and their cancerous fans, they deserve every last bit of their misery.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I am so mystified how anyone could muster hate for a team over a player that hasn't played a down for the team in five years, especially considering that player never even did anything off the field and continues to play in the league for other teams.

like your problem isn't even with the Lions, that's your own brain problems at this point

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
To be entirely fair I probably hate Lions fans more than I hate the Lions themselves.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Hating a lions fan is like hating a victim of Auschwitz. All they have to do is show you their tattoo and it's "Oh, you've suffered enough."

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
yeah I can't muster up hate for the Lions yet. It'll take like 3-4 seasons of them owning us in a row to work up anything other than a Caldwellian response. Even Suh's stompings were like 'well they drafted a dirty player, and now he's gone so oh well'. I'm still firmly in the Pity range of emotions, they had to watch as Barry and Megatron got a playoff game each for their efforts.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Darth Brooks posted:

Hating a lions fan is like hating a victim of Auschwitz. All they have to do is show you their tattoo and it's "Oh, you've suffered enough."

Nah, hating a Lions fan is like hating a holocaust denier. It's really the only ethical option.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
How could you possibly hate the Lions

The Lions are consistently hilarious

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I am so mystified how anyone could muster hate for a team over a player that hasn't played a down for the team in five years, especially considering that player never even did anything off the field and continues to play in the league for other teams.

1) Nah, gently caress the Lions.

2) Suh had a couple of off-field incidents that involved car accidents where he tried to intimidate people from reporting them. One was a passenger in his car while he was joyriding around Portland and wrapped around a tree - when she wanted to get her injuries checked out, he intimidated her into leaving the scene. Another was where he sideswiped a car on the freeway on the way to the Lions' facility. The other driver followed him there and Suh once again tried to intimidate him into leaving without trading information or reporting the accident.

Maybe he's outgrown that poo poo, but the idea of a football player using his size and strength to try to intimidate people out of reporting car accidents is just dirty.

Also :neverforget: the time Jim Schwartz tried "picking a fight" with Jim Harbaugh, only not really 'cuz he practically told a guy next to him, "Hey man, can you please hold me back here?"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A lot of brain damaged people ITT, and I'm not just talking about Lions fans.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
why do people hate lions fans

what did we do :saddowns:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Parallelwoody posted:

Don't hate lions fans, they are victims of Stockholm syndrome.

They did this to themselves

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think most were born into it. They weren't given a choice.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Parallelwoody posted:

I think most were born into it. They weren't given a choice.

my stepfather apologizes to me every december for making me a lions fan as a kid.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Racism

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MikeCrotch posted:

Remind them that no amount of cheering or wishing for your team to do well will work, and the outcomes of all sports are independent of your own actions and desires.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

C-Euro posted:

Remind them that no amount of cheering or wishing for your team to do well will work, and the outcomes of all sports are independent of your own actions and desires.

Nah. The failure of the Lions is karmic punishment for the sins of their fanbase.

Every Lions fan should lie awake in bed at night staring into the void knowing this is all their fault.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Lmao brutal

https://twitter.com/CEmma670/status/1083729854753849346?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

BGrifter posted:

Nah. The failure of the Lions is karmic punishment for the sins of their fanbase.

Every Lions fan should lie awake in bed at night staring into the void knowing this is all their fault.

are you okay