Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I feel like it's a dangerous cycle when you play a class that doesn't generate a ton of exp. You don't get in to the habit of spinning your xp dial every turn, and when you finally do play a card that generates xp you just forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

namad posted:

Personally I wouldn't lose a card (and your boots, which are probably going to be used once this mission total) to be able to attack the boss near door B on the following turn, because either he'll stay there long enough you can just attack him the turn after (2 turns from now) that without blowing a lose card. Or he'll move to door C instantly (25-33% chance I forget which) in which case you'll want to consider using those same resources to reach door C. At least not for a hit of only 3 damage. I could be wrong though. The last time I fought him we had a totally different team makeup than this one.

Rocky will be able to attack both door B and C from F6 with his various range 3 attacks, and will be only 1 hex away from being able to reach the other two doors (two hexes to go from range of door A to door D, which is just the default bottom). F6 is easily the best hex for a medium range character like the Cragheart to be in.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

SalTheBard posted:

That makes me feel good because I'm notoriously bad about tracking / earning XP.

Apparently so am I :downsgun:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reik posted:

I feel like it's a dangerous cycle when you play a class that doesn't generate a ton of exp. You don't get in to the habit of spinning your xp dial every turn, and when you finally do play a card that generates xp you just forget.

One of the big jumps in skill level, I think, is playing a new character and working out how to deal with a potential mismatch between the cards you're finding effective in play and the cards that grant XP. A few classes are downright automatic, but most of the rest require some very careful play to maximize your XP gain while remaining useful through the whole scenario.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Rocky will be able to attack both door B and C from F6 with his various range 3 attacks, and will be only 1 hex away from being able to reach the other two doors (two hexes to go from range of door A to door D, which is just the default bottom). F6 is easily the best hex for a medium range character like the Cragheart to be in.

Agreed.

Strongly.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

OK, my orders are in. Using boots, jumping to J4, and hitting the boss.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Our Brute was the slowest exp earner in the whole group, but in fairness the player also takes quite a while to get used to new games (which this was at the time) and characters.

In some ways the boss doing a bunch of Special 1 on the off is a good thing since monsters don't spawn if you don't have enough standees for them. Worst case scenario would be getting everything that can be spawned at once and then replenishing as they go down, whereas spawning literally everything in rapid succession should mean fewer monsters overall.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Barrow Lair, Round 3B

Pending actions from last Round posted:

It looks like I have miscalculated Bullwinkle's XP gains for Scenario 1 and he was short 2 whole points! Thanks Zurai for the recount :) I have fixed the count on Bullwinkle's character sheet with the correct total, 11XP.

Barrow Lair, Round 3 posted:

54. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Zurai)
Bullwinkle uses Leaping Cleave (bot)! Activates Boots of Striding! Jumps 5 to J4(2).
Generates AIR
Bullwinkle uses Balanced Measures (top)! Attacks Bandit Commander (BOSS) for 0 (5base, CURSE NULL mod) damage!
Drawn CURSE removed from attack modifier deck.
Gains 1XP.

The need for an :xcom:, but GH is growing.

66. Living Corpse 1, 2, 4
Living Corpse 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Attempts to MOVE1, no valid hex available!
Living Corpse 2 focuses Bullwinkle! Attempts to MOVE1, no valid hex available!
Living Corpse 4 focuses Bullwinkle! Attempts to MOVE1, no valid hex available!

Even if they have been unable to move out of the room so far, these zombies are still a threat. The Scenario will fail if the players become exhausted before being able to kill all the revealed enemies.

14. Bandit Archer 4(E), 6
Bandit Archer 4(E) focuses Bullwinkle! Attacks Bullwinkle for 3 (4base, +0/+2mod, SHIELD1) damage.
Warding Strenght 1st trigger!
Bullwinkleis at 6HP
Bandit Archer 6 focuses Bullwinkle! Attacks Bullwinkle for 2 (3base, +0mod, SHIELD1) damage.
Warding Strenght 2nd trigger! Gains 1XP
Bullwinkleis at 4HP

That disadvantage on the Elite Archer attack has been quite clutch, as the only +2 modifier in the monsters's deck has now been wasted - at least until something will cause the deck to be reshuffled.

79. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Elephant Ambush)
Master Splinter uses Feedback Loop (bot)! Jumps 4 to B4(2)
Master Splinter uses Frigid Apparition (top)! Attacks Bandit Archer 6 for 10 (3base, +2bonus, x2mod ) damage!
Bandit Archer 6 is killed! :gibs:
Master Splinter uses Minor Stamina Potion! Recovers Frigid Apparition and Feedback Loop.
Master Splinter loses INVISIBILITY

79. Bandit Commander (BOSS)
Bandit Commander (BOSS) activates SPECIAL 1! Jumps to door B hex.

Living Corpse 6(E), 5 Revealed!
Treasure tile 67 Revealed!

*66. Living Corpse 6(E), 5
Living Corpse 6(E) focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 1 to A3(b)
Living Corpse 5 focuses Bullwinkle! Attempts to MOVE1, no valid hex available!

Gloomhaven Trivia time! why has Living Corpse 5 not moved to B4(b)?
ANSWER: Monsters must end their movement action in a hex that is closer to their focus compared to the one they start in, or they will not move at all. Since B4(b) and A4(b) are the same distance from Bullwinkle, n.4 will stay put. The Elite has moved to A3(b) instead of B4(b), since players are allowed to decide where a monster would move if there are 2 valid hexes and by moving to this hex the Elite is blocking the normal from advancing.

87. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (archduke.iago)
NOTE: Rocky's orders as presented by archduke.iago were invalid, since they had a "move to F6 with Massive Boulder(bot) and shoot with Crater(top)", but the only way to reach F6(2) or any other hex from which to attack the boss required to use the bot (LOSS) of Crater instead; on top of that, there was no other location available from where to reach 2 targers with your attack, so the intent looked solid enough.
Rocky uses Crater (bot)! Activates Boots of Striding! Jumps 6 to F6(2) - LOSS card!
Gains 1XP.
Rocky uses Massive Boulder (top)! Attacks Bandit Commander (BOSS) for 3 (3base, +0mod) damage!
Generate EARTH
Bandit Commander (BOSS) is at 27 HP
Backup ammunition 1st Trigger! Gains 1XP. Attacks Bandit Archer 4(E)for 0 (3base, CURSE NULL mod) damage! Deals 1 damage to Bullwinkle!
Drawn CURSE removed from attack modifier deck.
Bullwinkle is at 3HP
Rocky uses Minor Stamina Potion! Recovers Massive Boulder and X!

As a consequence of the initial mix-up, Rocky can't recover Crater, since its Jump movement is on a LOSS card. archduke.iago, please tell me if you want to undo the Stamina Potion usage; or which other card you want to recover, otherwise.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS
Master Splinter's attack modifiers deck is shuffled!
AIR is waning.
EARTH is waning.

Well...that could have gone better, all things considered. Aside from Master Splinter's ultraviolence. :gibs:

Zurai, please let me know if you want to LOSE a card from your hand (or 2 from your discar pile) to prevent any of the attacks! Also, I believe you were panning on using a Stamina Potion as well, but maybe you forgot to add it to your orders? Let me know, if that's the case, before the next update!
archduke.iago, please tell me if you want to undo the Stamina Potion usage; or which other card you want to recover, otherwise. Try as I might, I coun't find another way to execute your orders aside from this one, but please let me know if you have other ideas!

Active players please provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 12, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Crypt scenarios suck.

I was originally thinking about using a Stamina Potion here but after looking at my options I'm OK without. I'm also OK with my current life total although I'm going to need to be cautious. Unfortunately that elite archer is going to be a thorn in my side (pretty much literally).

EDIT: Also, unfortunately, Living Corpse 4 should indeed move to A1. C1 is 3 hexes from a valid attack location: A1 or B1, door, K3 or K5. A1 is only 2 hexes from a valid attack location: door, K3 or K5.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 11, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
:xcom:

Well that went well for me at least. I'm going to charge into the elite archer next turn and I will stab it every turn until it's dead.

Edit: I plan to go at a slow initiative because I want to see what the archer and boss do so I can move to the optimal hex for stabbing the archer and planning for future turns.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 11, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

:xcom:

Well that went well for me at least. I'm going to charge into the elite archer next turn and I will stab it every turn until it's dead.

My current plan is to move relatively quickly and attempt to push the archer into the trap. If it goes before me it'll move away and invalidate that, though, so it depends on what they draw for initiative.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Zurai posted:

EDIT: Also, unfortunately, Living Corpse 4 should indeed move to A1. C1 is 3 hexes from a valid attack location: A1 or B1, door, K3 or K5. A1 is only 2 hexes from a valid attack location: door, K3 or K5.

You are absolutely right, not sure why I didn't consider K3 or K5 as valid locations from the door tile :doh:

Well, at least we have that piece of trivia about monster AI movement itt...I'll fix the position of Living Corpse 4 and it'll be reflected in the map at the beginning of the next update.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Zurai posted:

My current plan is to move relatively quickly and attempt to push the archer into the trap. If it goes before me it'll move away and invalidate that, though, so it depends on what they draw for initiative.

Planning to heal you and attack the boss + any other targets late in the round.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

That sounds great to me. I'll be going early in the round and dealing some damage while moving in the general direction of door C, since he's going to end up that way eventually. If everything goes perfectly I'll push the archer into the trap and also hurt the boss, but if the boss jumps away before I move I have some contingencies.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

That sounds great to me. I'll be going early in the round and dealing some damage while moving in the general direction of door C, since he's going to end up that way eventually. If everything goes perfectly I'll push the archer into the trap and also hurt the boss, but if the boss jumps away before I move I have some contingencies.

If for some reason you guys end up tag teaming the elite archer I will have nothing to do unless the boss teleports (which I really don't want to happen).

But if that happens it happens. I'll figure out a backup plan.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The only way I won't end up attacking the boss is if he's not in range, which would mean he went to the next door. We should be ok.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Waiting for orders from archduke.iago, will update as soon as I have them :)

Edit: I now have received orders from everyone but I'm currently on my way to the cinema for a Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse + Acquaman double bonanza so I won't be able to update until later!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 12, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

That Italian Guy posted:

Waiting for orders from archduke.iago, will update as soon as I have them :)

Edit: I now have received orders from everyone but I'm currently on my way to the cinema for a Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse + Acquaman double bonanza so I won't be able to update until later!

One of those movies is great.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

^^^^^ One of those movies is one of the best super heroes flick ever! The other has lots of fishes!

Barrow Lair, Round 4A

- Living Corpse 4 has been a bit lazy and forgot to MOVE1 to A1(a). This has been corrected.
- Rocky has postponed its usage of the Minor Stamina Potion since Crater could not be recovered.

ROUND REVEAL

The boss really, really, really likes to open doors! This could be interesting for our heroes, since there are only six Living Corpses's standees, and five are already on the table. Also, more traps! Also, I've figured out Gloomhaven Helper supports two columns; let me know if you prefer the previous view or the current one!

PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Bullwinkle (Hand4, Discarded5, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 27 with Spare Dagger and Sweeping Blow.

27. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Zurai) posted:

code:
"SPARE DAGGER (27) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, Range3 - XP1
BOT: ATK2"

"SWEEPING BLOW (64) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK2, PBAOE (check image)
BOT: MOVE3 - PUSH1 (Target all adjacent enemies)"
Master Splinter (Hand6, Discarded3, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 79 with Frigid Apparition and Feedback Loop.

79. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Elephant Ambush) posted:

code:
"FRIGID APPARITION (29) [LvlX]
TOP: ATK3 - Consume ICE: STUN, XP1
BOT: MOVE4 - STUN (Target one adjacent enemy) - XP1"

"FEEDBACK LOOP (79) [Lvl1]
TOP: Augment - Persistent Bonus On your melee attacks gain SHIELD1 (till end of round) - ATK1 - XP1 (discard when another augment is played)
BOT: MOVE4 - Jump - If you end the movement in the same hex you started in, perform MUDDLE (Target all enemies moved through)."
Rocky (Hand5, Discarded4, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 82 with Dirt Tornado and Earthen Clod.

82. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (archduke.iago) posted:

code:
"DIRT TORNADO (82) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK1, Range2, AOE (check image), Consume EARTH:+1ATK, XP1 
- MUDDLE all allies and enemies in the targeted area.
BOT: Move 3"

"EARTHEN CLOD (38) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK2, Range5 - Consume EARTH: IMMOBILIZE, XP1
BOT: HEAL2, Range3"

During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email! DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST :getin:
(since the update was delayed, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 12, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Ugh this sucks. We get to choose where the archer moves to though.

I think J6 is fine. Rocky won't be at disadvantage and I can still jump next to it (H6) and stab it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ugh this sucks. We get to choose where the archer moves to though.

I think J6 is fine. Rocky won't be at disadvantage and I can still jump next to it (H6) and stab it.

Aren't you going to push the Archer anyway?

But, yeah it would be a good idea for the active players to recommend
- an hex for the Archer to move;
- an hex for the trap to b placed;

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

That Italian Guy posted:

Aren't you going to push the Archer anyway?

But, yeah it would be a good idea for the active players to recommend
- an hex for the Archer to move;
- an hex for the trap to b placed;

I didn't take any push cards. Frigid Apparition just hits really hard.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I would suggest having the archer move to H6 and make a trap in... uh, I5? The hex it's currently in. I'll throw a dagger at the boss then move to I7 and push the archer back to where it started, ie into the trap it just laid.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

My plans haven't really changed, I'll heal Bullwinkle and launch a tornado that should hopefully hit boss + 2 zombies, archer on J6, building trap on I5 seems fine.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I didn't take any push cards. Frigid Apparition just hits really hard.

Apologies, I meant the Brute :)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Orders in. I'm attacking the boss at range, then moving to I7 and pushing the archer back into one of its own traps.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Barrow Lair, Round 4B

None!

14. Bandit Archer 4(E) posted:

Bandit Archer 4(E) focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 1 to H6(2). Deploys a Trap in hex I5(2)!
Attacks Bullwinkle for 1 (2base, +0mod, SHIELD1) damage.
Warding Strength 3rd trigger!
Bullwinkle is at 2HP

With Warding Strenght up, Bullwinkle's endurance is boosted to some serious levels...but his HPs are almost depleted! Also, Spare Dagger is such a good card for the Brute :iia:

27. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Zurai) posted:

Bullwinkle uses Spare Dagger (top)! Attacks Bandit Commander (BOSS) for 3 (3base, +0mod) damage! Gains 1XP
Bandit Commander (BOSS) is at 24 HP
Bullwinkle uses Sweeping Blow (bot)! Moves 3 to I7(2). Bandit Archer 4(E) is PUSHED 1 to I5(2).
Trap in I5(2) triggered! Bandit Archer 4(E) suffers 3 damage!
Bandit Archer 4(E) is at 4 HP

There were two different ideas about where to move the Archer; I went with Zurai's plan since this allows both players to execute their turn as described in their orders.

66. Living Corpse 6(E), 1, 2, 4, 5 posted:

Living Corpse 6(E) focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 1 to A2(b).
Living Corpse 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 1 to door B hex.
Living Corpse 2 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 1 to B2(a)
Living Corpse 4 focuses Bullwinkle! Attempts to MOVE1, no valid hex available!
Living Corpse 5 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 1 to A3(b).

Zombies are still shuffling around, but they will be able to get out of their prison next round, maybe.

79. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Elephant Ambush) posted:

Master Splinter uses Feedback Loop (bot)! Jumps 4 to H6(2).
Master Splinter uses Frigid Apparition (top)! Attacks Bandit Archer 4(E) for 5 (3base, +0mod +2bonus) damage!
Bandit Archer 4(E) is killed!

Master Splinter keeps gibbin' fools.

82. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (archduke.iago) posted:

Rocky uses Earthen Clod (bot)! Heals Bullwinkle for 2 HP.
Bullwinkle is at 4HP
Rocky uses Dirt Tornado (top)! Consumes EARTH! Gains 1XP.
Targets hex I7(2). Attacks Bandit Commander (BOSS) for 3 (2base, +1mod) damage!
Bandit Commander (BOSS) is at 21 HP and is MUDDLED!
Attacks Living Corpse 6(E) for 1 (2base, -1mod) damage!
Living Corpse 6(E) is at 9 HP and is MUDDLED!
Attempts to Attack Living Corpse 5, but the target is not in LOS! Attack fails.
Bullwinkle is MUDDLED!
Rocky uses Minor Stamina Potion! Recovers Massive Boulder and Dirt Tornado!

Even with AOE attacks you still need to be able to draw LOS from one corner of the hex you stand in to a corner of the hex the target is in to be able to attack. Living Corpse 5 would be in the AOE template of Dirt Tornado, but its out of LOS and can't be attacked from Rocky's position.
- MUDDLE applies disadvantage on attacks - so whoever is muddles has to pick 2 attack modifier cards and chose the worst one.
- Range is calculated by counting hexes (starting from one adjacent to the character performing the attack); if you have enough hexes to reach the hex your target is in, you can attack it! Adjecent hexes are considered Range1. AOE attacks work a little bit different:

Manual, page 21 posted:

Some attacks and other abilities allow figures to target multiple hexes or multiple targets at the same me. In these cases, the area of effect for the ability is shown on the ability card. Note that any rotational orientation of the depicted diagram is valid. Also note that each target constitutes a separate attack (drawing its own attack modifier card), but all attack together make up a single attack action.
For a ranged area attack, only one of the red hexes needs to be within the range specified, and it does not need to contain an enemy. However, for both ranged and melee area attacks, you can only attack enemies you have line of sight to.

79. Bandit Commander (BOSS) posted:

Bandit Commander (BOSS) activates SPECIAL 1! Jumps to door C hex.

Living Corpse 3 Revealed! No standee available for additional Living Corpse! No additional Living Corpse placed!
Bandit Commander (BOSS) loses MUDDLED.
This is rather important as the extra Living Corpse that is now missing was supposed to be an Elite. Contrary to most other rules, Elites are NOT placed first when revealing a room, as the criteria is simply "monster closest to the revealing character first". The Elite Living Corpse would be in A4(c), so same distance to the Bandit Commander; the player have the option to choose which one to place, since there is a single Standee left...and the normal one is an easy choice.

*66. Living Corpse posted:

Living Corpse 3 focuses Rocky! Moves 1 to B3(c).

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

AIR is inert.

Well, the Archers are dead, the Boss has lost about a third of his HP and the Living Corpses are still gross.

Active players please provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 13, 2019

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Well, now the boss just needs to draw a Special 1 card again so the last room is revealed to be empty (I'm making assumptions here, last room may have three dragons instead of the Living Corpses). Did the scenario state what happens if he gets Special 1 again with all doors open and I missed it?

What does Muddle do?
How is range calculated?That is, are adjacent hexes considered range 0 or 1?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We know there are only Bandit Archers, Loving Corpses and Living Bones in the Scenario, so we should be safe from dragons - although there could be 6 Archers or assorted Living Bones in Room d. Once all the rooms have been opened, if the Boss picks his Special 1 again he'll just Jump through the cycle again (a to d, same as before), without any other effect. (This was revealed in the "in depth" explanation for Special 1 and 2 that the Scenario offers when we opened the door to the room containing the Boss himself).

MUDDLE applies disadvantage on attacks - so whoever is muddles has to pick 2 attack modifier cards and chose the worst one.

Range is calculated by counting hexes (starting from one adjacent to the character performing the attack); if you have enough hexes to reach the hex your target is in, you can attack it! Adjecent hexes are considered Range1. AOE attacks work a little bit different:

Manual, page 21 posted:

Some attacks and other abilities allow figures to target multiple hexes or multiple targets at the same me. In these cases, the area of effect for the ability is shown on the ability card. Note that any rotational orientation of the depicted diagram is valid. Also note that each target constitutes a separate attack (drawing its own attack modifier card), but all attack together make up a single attack action.

For a ranged area attack, only one of the red hexes needs to be within the range specified, and it does not need to contain an enemy. However, for both ranged and melee area attacks, you can only attack enemies you have line of sight to.

I'll add these details to the update itself!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 13, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If he gets special 1 more than 4 times, he'll teleport to tile A again, but won't be able to open an already open door, and repeats the cycle. It's mentioned in the scenario rules somewhere.

Whenever you make an attack, you have to draw a modifier card, which is the game's equivalent of a dice roll. The default decks have modifiers ranging from -2 to +2, as well as crits or null which make an attack do double or zero damage, but as characters level up they can change their decks to remove negative modifiers and add positive and unique ones, like the Mindthief getting to inflict random conditions and the Cragheart getting to generate the Earth element. Muddle makes all attacks have disadvantage, which forces you to draw to modifier cards and picks the worse of the two.

Range 1 is adjacent hexes. The other common source of disadvantage is that all ranged attacks made at range 1 have disadvantage by default. If a player character was adjacent to the bandit archer and he couldn't move before attacking for whatever reason, he'd be forced to attack the closest enemy in spite of the chance of whiffing. It's also a common issue for the player characters once the game gets a bit more complex, since they might have played a bottom action that doesn't contain any movement, or will only be able to hit all enemies they want with an AoE attack by being adjacent to at least one of them.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yeah, I had doubts mostly about the AoE attack. No way not to tag Bullwinkle with that pattern and range (I went to check the pattern in the first post).
I got confused because that was a range 2 attack but the boss was at range 3, together with a misunderstanding on how AoE patterns are used.

Thanks for the answers.

Now if the bunny hopping jerk would hold still for a round.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Excellent, the boss has shorted himself on room opening spawns and given you access to the scenario's treasure chest. Yeah, it would be nice for you to be able to hit him more reliably, but you'll get your chance soon enough.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
:ese:

Gonna continue stabbing. My luck will run out sooner or later but I'm going to focus on the boss and ignore the corpses unless forced to do otherwise (which shouldn't happen since I have high mobility).

I intend to move to B6 and stab repeatedly. That will leave room for Bullwinkle to charge in next to me at C7 and start swinging wildly in his muddled state.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 13, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Unfortunately all the boss's jumping around has really taxed my movement options. At this point I have to choose between using a loss card for nothing but movement, or not attacking him this turn. I would just long rest where I am but that elite zombie could gently caress me up if it draws the wrong card. I'm not entirely certain what I'm going to do yet.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Why not short rest? It sucks not refreshing your boots, but if you don't have a good turn you don't have a good turn.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reik posted:

Why not short rest? It sucks not refreshing your boots, but if you don't have a good turn you don't have a good turn.

Seems reasonable to me. Still plenty of time left. I think the only real threat now is that the boss gets off several summons in a row and drops too many skeletons to deal with. The Cragheart is well-provisioned to deal with these corpses at range and the Mindthief could probably afford to "tank" and shank one of them that's separated from the pack. Those traps are going to remain helpful. As the Brute, I'd be tempted to go after the treasure via jump after the boss is dead; with correct positioning you can get one of the corpses to chase after you and then kill it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I can't short rest. Short rests have to be declared before you end your turn. My choices are long rest, faff about, or use a really suboptimal loss card and potentially do a little damage to the boss. I should probably have short rested last turn but I didn't think of it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
:munch: Short rests are declared at the end of the round, not your turn. You can still short rest.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

:munch: Short rests are declared at the end of the round, not your turn. You can still short rest.

Oh poo poo we've been playing that wrong all along. I genuinely thought it was part of your turn, not an end of round thing. :thatsgloomhaven:

That Italian Guy, I'd like to short rest with Bullwinkle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Zurai posted:

I can't short rest. Short rests have to be declared before you end your turn.

Yeah, as Some Numbers has said, Short Rests are executed during the cleanup phase at the end of the Round - so if you want to do one, you're still in time until the reveal for Round 5. In case, please let me know which card(s) you would like to reroll for 1HP!