Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skippy McPants posted:

And even in the TT—which is crit city—storing ammo in your CT is still a deathwish.

Eh, only after CASE becomes wide spread. With the pre-lostech renaissance rules pretty much any ammo hit in any location had enough damage to kill a mech, with a few edge cases like a half empty AC20 bin in an arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Look at the max salvage.

2/x - 4 opfor
3/x - 4 - 8
4/x - 8 - 12
5/x - holee poo poo

Not sure if its 100% but seems to work out most of the time.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Look at the max salvage.

2/x - 4 opfor
3/x - 4 - 8
4/x - 8 - 12
5/x - holee poo poo

Not sure if its 100% but seems to work out most of the time.

Huh, I thought max salvage was determined by faction relation.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Are there ways of replenishing Lostech equipment?

And if there are, are there ways that dont rely on sheer buy a lottery ticket now luck?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Huh, I thought max salvage was determined by faction relation.

I've got 5 or 6 salvage from non-bff factions before. It is true that you can gauge difficulty based on max salvage tho :getin:

Well that and assassination missions always have a juicy target

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Alchenar posted:

Both XCOM games also had stealth options for scouting and expanded on those options in both sets of expansions so they a) knew it was an issue and b) tried to correct for it. I don't hate it, but the pod mechanic forces you into a 'never explore new territory on the last move' dynamic which pushes you into a certain kind of play to avoid inescapable deaths. Likewise, Battletech has the problem that Evasion will always be worthless as long as you are capped at fewer stacks of it than there are Mechs likely shooting at you from mid game. There are ways to keep your high pilot skill light mech alive, but you are forced into a very particular and cautious kind of play.

I think it's just a fundamental disconnect between how the game actually works and what people expect of it. Evasion works, but it's a situational survivability multiplier that needs be used alongside other defensive measures (LoS and initiative management, Damage Reduction, and HP) to be effective, whereas some people are under the impression stacking Evasion should allow you to be a speed demon that dodges all fire like a gundam and make Light mechs effectively as resilient as Heavies or Assaults.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

I think it's just a fundamental disconnect between how the game actually works and what people expect of it. Evasion works, but it's a situational survivability multiplier that needs be used alongside other defensive measures (LoS and initiative management, Damage Reduction, and HP) to be effective, whereas some people are under the impression stacking Evasion should allow you to be a speed demon that dodges all fire like a gundam and make Light mechs effectively as resilient as Heavies or Assaults.

So the problem isn't that, the problem is that for a light mech to be resilient in a late-game match you need to put so many cautionary caveats on how you use it that there is literally no point to not just bringing a heavy/assault.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

This. I think it comes from various MW games and also TT where going really fast was the way to live. On TT heavy woods and 5 hexes of movement are equally strong defensive options. Going 9+ hexes was basically the speed demon shield you describe.

Evasion works in conjunction with LoS control, damage reduction and phasing. The only time it can work alone is vs 3 or fewer targets, outside of melee range. Given the mission design that only happens once it's all over but the crying.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm playing a career game on 8 pieces per mech right now and drat, taking on a 2-skull mission with only 140 tons definitely feels challenging.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Jabor posted:

I'm playing a career game on 8 pieces per mech right now and drat, taking on a 2-skull mission with only 140 tons definitely feels challenging.

I know, it's really fun but I find my matches take forever and progression slows to a crawl as I only get 2-4 contracts done as session.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

So the problem isn't that, the problem is that for a light mech to be resilient in a late-game match you need to put so many cautionary caveats on how you use it that there is literally no point to not just bringing a heavy/assault.

There are two basic ways you can track progression in this kind of game:

1) You can either have tonnage roughly equate the 'level' of your lance, where light<medium<heavy<assault. You can finesse it a tich, but fundamentally it holds. In this model you start with lights (and fight lights) and eventually get (and fight) assaults

2) you have the full range of tonnages available from the get go and have both the PC and the opfor level up some other way, probably via tech. For example, a tier 1 heavy mech would be a stock Black Knight, a tier 2 would be a Black Knight with lostech, and a tier 3 would be a Mad Cat. Trickle in more advanced gear and chassis throughout the campaign, so that you start with basic 3025 stuff and end with clan invasion or later stuff.

Obviously they went with option #1, and it's usually the method taken in most games that can't afford to somehow span 50+ years in a campaign. Interestingly the old Crescent Hawk's Revenge basically did option #2, so it's not impossible.

If you assume that assault mechs are somehow a goal worth working towards then it's pretty fundamentally impossible to make light mechs equal to them. If you could beat the game with 2 jenners, a panther, and a firestarter where is the gameplay loop?

I'm not saying that going with option #1 above was the only way, or the best way to approach this, but it's the way that they chose so any attempt to make a jenner the equal of a Highlander is pretty much a fool's errand.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think the issue people have with bigger mechs being simply better than smaller mechs stems pretty much entirely from biggger mechs also being slower. It's an odd sort of progression. Usually you see that sort of thing in strategy games where small fast stuff remains relevant for flanking, hunting down vulnerable units, etc. but because you're always limited to 4 mechs and always outnumbered that doesn't happen here. Getting better mechs in Battletech feels more like acquiring better gear in RPGs but in those games gear progression doesn't usually hinder mobility.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mention this a lot but really it all comes down to problems with how the source material works, as well as incompatibilities between the source material and the limits of the adaptation.

And, to be fair, the tabletop game also starts to creak when you start getting the tools required to negate the advantages of light mechs, and even lighter mediums.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

There are two basic ways you can track progression in this kind of game:

1) You can either have tonnage roughly equate the 'level' of your lance, where light<medium<heavy<assault. You can finesse it a tich, but fundamentally it holds. In this model you start with lights (and fight lights) and eventually get (and fight) assaults

2) you have the full range of tonnages available from the get go and have both the PC and the opfor level up some other way, probably via tech. For example, a tier 1 heavy mech would be a stock Black Knight, a tier 2 would be a Black Knight with lostech, and a tier 3 would be a Mad Cat. Trickle in more advanced gear and chassis throughout the campaign, so that you start with basic 3025 stuff and end with clan invasion or later stuff.

Obviously they went with option #1,...

Except, the whole phase system only makes sense if you wanted the game to regularly include lances of different weight class compositions. Otherwise you'd just run a simple IGYG or WEGO system. The early demo had a lance with a light/medium/heavy/assault comp.

Obviously that fell apart and the game ended up trending towards option 1, but that looks to me like something that happened mid development when HBS realised that Option 2 wasn't working.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ive-made-a-custom-flashpoint-video-included.1145148/

I've made a custom Flashpoint prototype from start to finish. I feel like a king right now.

Audio Warning - Mouse clicks sometimes screech loudly - turn volume down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM7TQT9l3hc

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Probably they figured out you really need a tech gradient to make that work, which the setting doesn’t really allow. It would be interesting to see how it pans out with 3050 tech, for example.

Also I wouldn’t say the initiative system is pointless as it stands. It makes up for issues in about a +- 1 class spread. Even at the end game there are real reasons to keep a mobile heavy around for phase fuckery. The Orion is obsolete once you have a stalker or better, but the grasshopper always has a niche and it wouldn’t if not for that phase bonus. Likewise for the CC Cyclops which is really just a fat heavy when it comes to performance.

The system just isn’t enough to make lights and mediums viable in the end game.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm still rolling with my lance of mediums and occasional heavy, but the phase system right now is relevant. Manipulating it with the moral abilities and tactical master always feels like I have a way to slightly tip things in my favor rather than just hoping my mech build is better. Reserving past the enemies phase and then essentially going twice if my phase was before theres has saved my bacon a few times with the greatly increased chance at knockdown it allows, and using CT to delay a single mech or cover (bulwark? whats it called) to toughen up a single one of mine and move them earlier has saved many lives. I'm sure it'll start to matter less once its all assaults tho. Right now it feels good.

Also at the beginning of the engagements its a good way to quickly gauge enemy strength. Never a good time to look up and see a bunch of pips in the later brackets.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BBBBBIG

STEELY

CCCCLAAWWWWW

That was a fun flashpoint! The difficulty on these is all over the place though. It was a 3 skull mission, so it was a heavy and some mediums and light turrets. The last 3 skull was 13 heavies and mediums. Sure, thanks Darius.

It's too bad I'll never use the BSC because I'm all heavies and assaults now and target acquisitions seem to not exist for me. Speaking of which, how on earth should I fit out this Cataphract I just got? I turned a Thunderbolt into a laser bolt and another into a brawler, have an AC20 Orion and LRM boat Orion, my Laserpult, my Banshee which is king poo poo of murder mountain, and a couple other things here and there. I'm pretty loaded and it's only day 400!

I also have a pair of urbies because I keep getting them as FP rewards lol

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I always used the cataphract as an AC20 + pile of medium lasers sled. I guess it's marginally less good than one of the Orion variants for that, but, whatever, it looks way cooler than an Orion does.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gwaihir posted:

I always used the cataphract as an AC20 + pile of medium lasers sled. I guess it's marginally less good than one of the Orion variants for that, but, whatever, it looks way cooler than an Orion does.

This is the primary reason I want to use it. I like how the Orion is clearly an old workhorse but the Cataphract is just this slapdash thing with lasers everywhere. The redesigns are pretty great!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

That was a fun flashpoint! The difficulty on these is all over the place though. It was a 3 skull mission, so it was a heavy and some mediums and light turrets. The last 3 skull was 13 heavies and mediums. Sure, thanks Darius.

Which flashpoint is it? Does it give you a dope Crab? I want a crab while I'm still in the medium range.

Saying it again for the billionth time. I hope the new expansion gives me reasons to hold onto the lighter weight classes on mechs. Also ones that add urban environments.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wrr posted:

Which flashpoint is it? Does it give you a dope Crab? I want a crab while I'm still in the medium range.

Saying it again for the billionth time. I hope the new expansion gives me reasons to hold onto the lighter weight classes on mechs. Also ones that add urban environments.

Steel Beast and it gives a custom crab!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Steel Beast was the first and only Flashpoint I've done so far. It's still a good weight for me and will likely be a bit before I replace it. But it's not that great of a mech. I had put an AC5 and 2 (3?) medium lasers with jump jets. Then I refit it and all it has is an AC20, 2 tons of ammo, and no jump jets. I guess it's alright, but a Hunchback seems like it'd be better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have the rep with the Lyrian Alliance to ally with them. How do I do that and should I? I'm hearing it'd probably screw me out of most contracts?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
"So, Darius, tell me what happened"

"The contract was going great, our mechs advanced on the three beacon positions swatting away tanks like flies, set them up and spotted for the artillery strike on the base. Then, with no enemies on the field, they took a leisure stroll towards the LZ, but because they were taking too long I told Sumire to pick them up RIGHT NOW and called the client to tell her that the mission was a failure. Don't be too hard on them, though, they did as best as we could. We even got partial payment!"

"... You're fired"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cyrano4747 posted:

Probably they figured out you really need a tech gradient to make that work, which the setting doesn’t really allow. It would be interesting to see how it pans out with 3050 tech, for example.

Also I wouldn’t say the initiative system is pointless as it stands. It makes up for issues in about a +- 1 class spread. Even at the end game there are real reasons to keep a mobile heavy around for phase fuckery. The Orion is obsolete once you have a stalker or better, but the grasshopper always has a niche and it wouldn’t if not for that phase bonus. Likewise for the CC Cyclops which is really just a fat heavy when it comes to performance.

The system just isn’t enough to make lights and mediums viable in the end game.

It doesn't really scale, is the issue.

Being one phase faster than your opponent is exactly the same benefit as being three phases faster. So it's enough of a benefit to let heavies contribute to assault fights, or mediums contribute to heavy fights, and lights contribute to medium fights, but the moment you bring a light to a heavy fight they're not getting any benefit that a medium wouldn't also be getting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is there a way to game the reputation system at all or do you just have to be real choosy about jobs and take minimal rewards? I was fine pissing off a couple factions but I am starting to piss all of them off, which seems bad for my finances.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Issue would be solved if you fought at most 6 mechs at once (or at least staggered reinforcement waves) and evasion stacks couldn't be removed by shooting.

This would greatly slow down the pace of the game though, which is problematic if lots of us are already alt-tabbing during fights because the animations are so lengthy.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there a way to game the reputation system at all or do you just have to be real choosy about jobs and take minimal rewards? I was fine pissing off a couple factions but I am starting to piss all of them off, which seems bad for my finances.
Taking jobs where you increase approval with one faction at the cost of some faction who you're already at zero with helped a little, maybe. But I definitely didn't see a way to be friends with everybody or almost everybody in the career span at least.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

pangstrom posted:

Taking jobs where you increase approval with one faction at the cost of some faction who you're already at zero with helped a little, maybe. But I definitely didn't see a way to be friends with everybody or almost everybody in the career span at least.

Yeah you basically have to pick a few people to stick with which o kind of like.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I did choose a couple factions that I wouldn't care about making angry, but I keep needing money and if I shoot these Davions, I get money...

I guess the best way would be to build up a solid operating budget then take a lot of reputation only jobs for the factions I want back in the good graces of.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Just work missions for them to get back in their good graces. I shoot davions all the time but then I go shoot some pirates or capellans for them and it balances out.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

RBA Starblade posted:

BBBBBIG

STEELY

CCCCLAAWWWWW

It's too bad I'll never use the BSC because I'm all heavies and assaults now and target acquisitions seem to not exist for me. Speaking of which, how on earth should I fit out this Cataphract I just got? I turned a Thunderbolt into a laser bolt and another into a brawler, have an AC20 Orion and LRM boat Orion, my Laserpult, my Banshee which is king poo poo of murder mountain, and a couple other things here and there. I'm pretty loaded and it's only day 400!

I also have a pair of urbies because I keep getting them as FP rewards lol

Beaglerush did this in his Roguetech run last week

Holy gently caress did he have fun with it, the last fight was full wrestling commentary. And also 'fun'*. At least he's planning to use the BSC heavily since he's struggling to maintain a good number of decent robots.

* Surprise Hellbringer in the second mission, when he only had one heavy and 3 mediums, all of whom had reduced armour due to damage from the first mission (Roguetech requires you to spend time repairing armour, and he only had 4 'Mechs available at the time)

... I really want to dive into RT now thanks to Beags, but I can't break my game before my LP gets finished :saddowns:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I did choose a couple factions that I wouldn't care about making angry, but I keep needing money and if I shoot these Davions, I get money...

I guess the best way would be to build up a solid operating budget then take a lot of reputation only jobs for the factions I want back in the good graces of.

In systems with Local Government as a faction you can run missions for the various factions against the LG. LG doesn't have any slider for rep so who cares about what they think.

Personally I've been making the pirates love me because space pirates are cool.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Any good LP’s of the game? I’m going to spend the weekend away from my computer and need my fix. I’ve been watching SB’s, but I’m up to date.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Any good LP’s of the game? I’m going to spend the weekend away from my computer and need my fix. I’ve been watching SB’s, but I’m up to date.

I like MoltenMetal's LPs. He also does 2 different LPs, one un-modded LP and one Roguetech LP so you can watch either one or both depending on what you favorite flavor is.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Does the standard Highlander have the weight to carry both LRMs and a Gauss Rifle? I forget.

I got a King Crab and turned it into th3_B33F special with AC20 and srm 20 eith a huge massive right dead side.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Artificer posted:

Does the standard Highlander have the weight to carry both LRMs and a Gauss Rifle? I forget.

It'd struggle to carry more than a single big launcher with the Rifle.

You could probably squeeze more in by shaving armor since it wouldn't spend as much time under fire with a build like that.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 11, 2019

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I love roguetech.

My latest highlight was getting fighting a care bear.

100t Kodiak? Painted pink, modded by pirates for speed and hugs. Both arms had some kinda vibro claw implement, plasma caster things + a side torso mrm 40 launcher.

It was luckily a base defence, and the AI derps hard in a target rich environment. I spotted it far away and could focus it down, partially thanks to my looted from a player lance marauder with a heavy Gauss + ppcs.

Base game is fun, but holy poo poo and the random crazy you get in roguetech is better even in its unpolished state.

That care bear was the boss monster in a 2 star base defence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Paingod's got one that's ongoing here.