Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
AvP:R is cool with me

Edit: CP is right though, I should disclose in this post that I fixed the brightness for these screenshots because the home release is trash.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nice job brightening the footage lmao

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, 'cause they hosed up the home release like Noted Good Movie Godzilla.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
AVP:R is the better AVP film for sure.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want a cut of AVP:R with visuals I can see and a Giallo-Style soundtrack.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Yeah, 'cause they hosed up the home release like Noted Good Movie Godzilla.

It was dark in the theater

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I still cant tell what the gently caress is going on in the middle picture.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

AVP:R is the better AVP film for sure.

Oh, absolutely. It really is delightful trash, much like the Resident Evil films. It completely owns what it is, which I can appreciate.

And there's apparently an Alien online game in the works for PC and consoles: https://www.dualshockers.com/alien-mmo-shooter-pc-consoles-foxnext/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

gently caress you.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

I still cant tell what the gently caress is going on in the middle picture.

It’s the Predator trophy wall.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Xenomrph posted:

It’s the Predator trophy wall.

It's also, if I might say, allowing for proper contrast and brightness, very Giger-esque.

One of these days someone is gonna get ahold of an original 35 mm print of AVP:R and it's gonna be a revelation of how good it looks and just how loving horrid a lot of digital intermediate stuff is. This was a movie that was meant to be projected on celluloid in pitch black movie theaters.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

K. Waste posted:

It's also, if I might say, allowing for proper contrast and brightness, very Giger-esque.
I want to see a Predator's trophy wall lit just so that it takes a moment for everyone to realize it's all biomechanical dongs and tits

"hold on, what do you hunt again?"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Fish Noise posted:

I want to see a Predator's trophy wall lit just so that it takes a moment for everyone to realize it's all biomechanical dongs and tits

"hold on, what do you hunt again?"

Sometimes a bone is just a bone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Now I want a Bro Predator, crashes into some humans place, drinks beer, tells stories of his big hunts on other worlds and goes out to hunt earth animals with low-tech gear.

"The others are weak, man. They use all these toys to hunt people instead of just wrestling an eight-armed space mega bear with your fists like God intended. poo poo, hold my beer, I'll show how I did it."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Isn't that basically Lobo?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

K. Waste posted:

. This was a movie that was meant to be projected on celluloid in pitch black movie theaters.
Some boutique like Shout or Rhino is going to do a 4k UHD release meant only for OLED and it's going to be the reference print for a generation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fish Noise posted:

The year, 2097. California is doing just fine. Tragedy strikes when a lone Predator mistakes the Folsom Street Fair for a hunt.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Sry, wrong thread

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 10, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

K. Waste posted:

Isn't that basically Lobo?

Similar, but Lobo is also a genocidal murderer and has a huge mean streak.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

It was dark in the theater

Was it as dark as it is on the blu-ray? Honest question, I never saw it in theaters so I can only go by what I've read.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It’s definitely a murky film to begin with, but the grading on the dvd release is extra hosed up on top of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Was it as dark as it is on the blu-ray? Honest question, I never saw it in theaters so I can only go by what I've read.

When the alien showed up in the store and crawled down the wall after Dallas gets strung up I legit could not make out where or what was going on.

The sewer scene was hard to see until the actual fight started.

I saw it Christmas morning the day it came out because I was way too excited.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Zero dark thirty also has the same problem toward the end. When the seals land if it's not a night vision shot you cant see poo poo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

gently caress every Predator film after Predator 2 for abandoning the INCREDIBLE ship interior Predator 2 had. Why have something totally unique when you can just go for the laziest, cliched, generic sci-fi design?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predators doesn't quite count since we never saw inside the ship, but yes. I don't know why they hosed with that.

I think the Predators script had one scene in the ship and described it like the Predator 2 one.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It’s kind of crazy just how much of the Predator mythos comes exclusively from the second film, and extremely telling how little any of the follow-up movies have contributed to it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not quite. Every film does introduce a new element, but the element is often considered lame by the next filmmaker so they blow past it. Although I'm sure there was a comic or two that did a few of those ideas first.

AvP introduced the idea that Predators helped humans create pyramids to hunt Aliens. Predators introduced the game reserves and using the DNA of the best hunter to shove into themselves. (Although Shane kinda took this one) And Predator race wars.(comics had this). AvP-R introduced clean up Predators. And finally, The Predator brought back race wars, DNA grafting, and Clean Up Predators, but also added Predators using spinal fluid to steal DNA specifically, and a race to snatch all human DNA poo poo before global warming takes us down. Oh and Predator Iron Man armor.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I don't remember it being particularly dark in theatres, but when you compare the blu-ray and the trailer the difference is obvious:

Trailer:

Blu-Ray:

Trailer:

Blu-Ray:

Trailer:

Blu-Ray:

It's possible the trailer wasn't the final grading on the brightness and colours, but I'd wager it's a lot closer to how it was supposed to look theatrically.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw it three times in the theater. The Blu Ray IS darker, but the film I saw wasn’t super bright either.

It’s just super murky all the way through and honestly not great looking. It feels really cheap which is the biggest issue. Even the opening with the Ship is pretty weak since it’s 90% green screen so everything is flat and lifeless.

I dunno. I don’t get the love but I also think what they did to the aliens is insulting as I think they’re the greatest creature ever designed and here it is getting tossed around in a loving clothing store.

They don’t even put up a fight so every fight scene is super boring. It’s all one sided.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tomtrek posted:

Trailer:

Blu-Ray:

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo. They better fix this for the inevitable 4k Alien series release.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Tomtrek posted:

Trailer:

Blu-Ray:

I know why you're here, Yutani. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer. You're looking for it. I know because I was once looking for the same thing. And when it found me, it asked me "What the hell are you?". It was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives them, Yutani. It's the question that brought them here. You know the question, just as I did.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Ban mobile gaming forever. Mobile gaming is for toddlers and elementary school aged children and they should be learning instead.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Preston Waters posted:

Ban mobile gaming forever. Mobile gaming is for toddlers and elementary school aged children and they should be learning instead.

Counterpoint: there are some cool and good mobile games.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

Counterpoint: there are some cool and good mobile games.

They aren't worth the tendency for interesting titles to be released on the platform instead of console or PC

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Preston Waters posted:

They aren't worth the tendency for interesting titles to be released on the platform instead of console or PC

What do you mean? It isn’t an either/or, where you have one studio with limited time choosing between one of two projects or something. We knew of one upcoming Alien game, and now we know of a second game by a different studio and it happens to be a mobile game (and might even be a fun game!).

I see people comparing this to the Diablo mobile game announcement and I’m not seeing it as particularly similar. Diablo Mobile’s announcement was done as the keynote announcement at Blizzcon when anticipation for a new mainstream Diablo game was very high. Alien Blackout was announced out of the blue on Instagram and isn’t replacing the other Alien game we know is coming. Like, what’s the problem here? There have been Alien mobile games of varying quality since the flip-phone days.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Gaming on mobile is trash, op.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Grabbed Cold Forge as an audiobook and so far it's pretty good for licensed pop property fiction.

Got a great bit where a central casting Aussie was just introduced (and the guy doing the read definitely reads him to type) and explains why Outback dwelling Aussies are uniquely suited to space colonies:
They're used to a hardscrabble life of danger, everything around them being barren to the horizon, and every place they live being named something really stupid.

Man the protagonist of this story really is a dick tho.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Like, what’s the problem here?

Because it's just Five Nights and Freddy's with an Alien coat of paint and they used Alien: Isolation as the basis to hype everyone up.

They took the best Alien game that's ever been and ever will be, the one that everyone would love a sequel to... and copied the gameplay of series that's milked it's own formula to death. On mobile.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Read Cold Forge and really enjoyed it, glad this thread recommended it. Maaaaaybe the antagonist got a little bit too cartoonish towards the end, and 'snatchers' is a stupid name for the xenomorph, but everything else was gold. There's a small subset of readers that are really pissed off that the protagonist is a atheist academic disabled black lesbian non-gender-conforming woman. I thought she was really complex, human, and understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

s.i.r.e. posted:

Because it's just Five Nights and Freddy's with an Alien coat of paint and they used Alien: Isolation as the basis to hype everyone up.

They took the best Alien game that's ever been and ever will be, the one that everyone would love a sequel to... and copied the gameplay of series that's milked it's own formula to death. On mobile.

It won’t be the only alien game ever made. It’s fine. There will be more.