Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

It won’t be the only alien game ever made. It’s fine. There will be more.

Exactly, that’s my point. It’s not like we’re getting this instead of Isolation 2, there was never going to be a true sequel to Isolation because the AAA game industry is retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

Have you heard of that aliens rpg coming out? I mean never coming out!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean? It isn’t an either/or, where you have one studio with limited time choosing between one of two projects or something. We knew of one upcoming Alien game, and now we know of a second game by a different studio and it happens to be a mobile game (and might even be a fun game!).

I see people comparing this to the Diablo mobile game announcement and I’m not seeing it as particularly similar.

gently caress playing an environmentally immersive horror game (where sound is a big part of the experience to boot) on a tiny little 4 x 6 screen.

I also, I dunno, get texts and calls on my phone that I don't get on my console so that's really cool having my experience interrupted with a text from my ex or some poo poo. The controls on a console/PC are better. Most mobile games I know about are based around either viewing ads or depend upon micro transactions.

After 8-10 hours at work, commuting, blocking spam calls and having that god damned thing chiming every 10 or 15 minutes while I'm driving or working, I'm ready to put it down, turn off the lights, crank up the surround sound, smoke a bowl and creep around a spaceship.

I don't use my phone for games at all and, in general, the less time I'm tethered to it throughout my day (unless I'm listening to music or podcasts while I work) , the better I feel. I'm also fairly old and tend to view my phone as a necessary nuisance more than some wonderful invention that improves my life so it could just be me being all :corsair: but that condescending snarky "don't you have a PHONE?" ad can kiss my rear end too.

I'm not sure why people being disappointed with this announcement is difficult to understand, really, but hopefully I explained it well.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Best Alien game is AVP2 btw.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I get it but you’ll be okay and your life will continue just fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

gently caress playing an environmentally immersive horror game (where sound is a big part of the experience to boot) on a tiny little 4 x 6 screen.

I also, I dunno, get texts and calls on my phone that I don't get on my console so that's really cool having my experience interrupted with a text from my ex or some poo poo. The controls on a console/PC are better. Most mobile games I know about are based around either viewing ads or depend upon micro transactions.

After 8-10 hours at work, commuting, blocking spam calls and having that god damned thing chiming every 10 or 15 minutes while I'm driving or working, I'm ready to put it down, turn off the lights, crank up the surround sound, smoke a bowl and creep around a spaceship.

I don't use my phone for games at all and, in general, the less time I'm tethered to it throughout my day (unless I'm listening to music or podcasts while I work) , the better I feel. I'm also fairly old and tend to view my phone as a necessary nuisance more than some wonderful invention that improves my life so it could just be me being all :corsair: but that condescending snarky "don't you have a PHONE?" ad can kiss my rear end too.

I'm not sure why people being disappointed with this announcement is difficult to understand, really, but hopefully I explained it well.

I'm not sure how anyone can be this disappointed about the newest of several Alien mobile games in a world where we already had an 80% complete Obsidian RPG about Aliens specifically canned by Sega to fund Colonial Marines instead.

I mean I was disappointed too that it's not a more in-depth game being announced and I talked about why on the last page but drat. It's clearly just a tie in to some other stuff so whatever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 12, 2019

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the real surprise here is that there haven't already been a hundred mobile Alien games.

the expectations for the alien franchise as a whole probs need recalibration. by and large, the good media associated with Aliens are the exceptions to the rule

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think the money they put into the franchise isn’t really worth the return or at least hasn’t been for a while. Unless it’s cheap to churn out I can’t imagine it’s worth it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wake me up when there’s a mobile game that turns your phone into the motion tracker, and you have to run down the street to escape augmented reality aliens.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Open Marriage Night posted:

Wake me up when there’s a mobile game that turns your phone into the motion tracker, and you have to run down the street to escape augmented reality aliens.

So dodging armed electric scooters?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

So that makes the announcement of an Alien game less disappointing... how?

Also the game itself looks bad, so there's also that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because there will be more things.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That doesn't make it any less disappointing dude.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm not sure how anyone can be this disappointed about the newest of several Alien mobile games in a world where we already had an 80% complete Obsidian RPG about Aliens specifically canned by Sega to fund Colonial Marines instead.

I'm picturing what is basically KOTOR, but Alien-flavored, and now I'm sad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

s.i.r.e. posted:

That doesn't make it any less disappointing dude.

It does for me. I guess I’m way more concerned about the “watch” than play and read. One of those will actually take the spot of something I care about and I might never get another because the guy who makes the ones I like is extremely old.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

That's actually kind of a neat idea. Model it after Pokemon go .

Except then you'd have people screaming in public parks and trying to rip imaginary face huggers off their heads and it might trigger the cops.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

"Wake me up when there's an alien game that can get you mistakenly hospitalized under suspicion of having a psychotic break"
- You, just now

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would be fine if I had a psychotic break due to Aliens. I’d make a nice life arc for me at least.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There actually is a licensed Aliens app that does that (sorta). I don’t know if it’s available on Android, but for iPhones, go to the App Store and search for “aliens survival manual”, and it should bring up an app called “Alien AR” that has a blue and black logo of a facehugger.

The app is meant to work in conjunction with a book, but you can probably find the AR trigger images online.

The book itself is... interesting. The production values are great, but it’s chock-full of really bizarre factual errors, as if the book had no editor or oversight whatsoever. It’s like a fan-made book, but it’s officially licensed and visually it looks great. It also references the Colonial Marines game really heavily and reads like it’s meant to be a tie-in for that game, but the book just came out in late 2017 and references ‘Alien Covenant’. It’s truly baffling, and I’ve been meaning to track down the author and pick his brain.

alf_pogs posted:

the real surprise here is that there haven't already been a hundred mobile Alien games.

the expectations for the alien franchise as a whole probs need recalibration. by and large, the good media associated with Aliens are the exceptions to the rule

There haven’t been many on smartphones, but there were a shitload on flip-phones.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Preston Waters posted:

"Wake me up when there's an alien game that can get you mistakenly hospitalized under suspicion of having a psychotic break"
- You, just now

Well when you put it that way, it sounds RAD AS gently caress

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"He has a mouth, in his mouth! Does he have another, littler mouth in that mouth?" My son just now, having walked in on me loving up at Alien: Isolation and hypothesizing xenomorph matryoshka mandibles.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

That's actually kind of a neat idea. Model it after Pokemon go .

Except then you'd have people screaming in public parks and trying to rip imaginary face huggers off their heads and it might trigger the cops.

Better yet, have it include a lot of facehuggers/aliens that try to get you but can only be spotted before/defeated by other players, so you have to stick together when walking around at night when they mostly come out. Mostly.. :getin:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Xenomrph posted:

There actually is a licensed Aliens app that does that (sorta). I don’t know if it’s available on Android, but for iPhones, go to the App Store and search for “aliens survival manual”, and it should bring up an app called “Alien AR” that has a blue and black logo of a facehugger.

The app is meant to work in conjunction with a book, but you can probably find the AR trigger images online.

The book itself is... interesting. The production values are great, but it’s chock-full of really bizarre factual errors, as if the book had no editor or oversight whatsoever. It’s like a fan-made book, but it’s officially licensed and visually it looks great. It also references the Colonial Marines game really heavily and reads like it’s meant to be a tie-in for that game, but the book just came out in late 2017 and references ‘Alien Covenant’. It’s truly baffling, and I’ve been meaning to track down the author and pick his brain.

There haven’t been many on smartphones, but there were a shitload on flip-phones.

What kind of factual errors did they get wrong?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

willie_dee posted:

What kind of factual errors did they get wrong?
Dates, ship names, character name spelling, attributing literal quotes from the movies, all kinds of random stuff. And then some of the stuff it got wrong, it would get correct later on in the book. Like it was truly bizarre.

It also had some ultra-obscure callbacks and references that I really wasn’t expecting. Paul WS Anderson’s ‘Death Race’ remake gets a shout out, as does the video game ‘Predator: Concrete Jungle’.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Preston Waters posted:

- You, just now

Also, hospitalized after running into traffic and getting hit by a car.

:thejoke:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Owlbear Camus posted:

"He has a mouth, in his mouth! Does he have another, littler mouth in that mouth?" My son just now, having walked in on me loving up at Alien: Isolation and hypothesizing xenomorph matryoshka mandibles.

I remember watching a Animaniacs episode where they had a lot of poo poo from different movies, and they had a xenomorph with exactly that: a smaller mouth inside the little mouth.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hello fellow superfans.

Running a tabletop game and want to have a really easy-to-digest bare bones bullet point primer of the "feel" of the universe for the other busy middle aged dudes and dudettes with limited time who will be playing and may not be quite as invested.

What would you add to or change to this:

It's 2180

The United Americas and Weyland-Yutani control most of the geo(galacto?)-political landscape. Think Amazon meets Raytheon meets Neocons, turn it up to eleven, and rip the knob off.

It's a Used Future: Antiseptic corridors are the exception to the rule. Panels are popped off for a workaround kludge. Paint is chipped, upholstery is damaged and duct taped.

Tech 22nd century as imagined in the late 70's-mid-80's: Your computer runs off the blinking cursor of an amber command line on a CRT. Portable devices are bulky, limited on power supply and storage, and single-function. Pulse rifles use iron sights.

Androids exist and are good enough to pass as people, and sometimes if the Company wants it so, they do.

FTL Travel is possible, but expensive and (relatively) slow. Travel among worlds takes weeks or months. For safety and to limit the need for consumables, cryosleep is almost universal. Messaging is also FTL, but slow enough that it's telegrams, not IRC.

Smoking is Back, Baby: And it's rolled and filtered tobacco. If vaping made it another 150 years, it is definitely a niche fad now.

Everything is a Commodity: Your entire life is a line item on the Company books. If crossing it off puts them deeper in the green, they will.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Messaging is also FTL, but slow enough that it's telegrams, not IRC.

This is one thing I would change. An equivalent of FTL IRC exists (we see it in Alien 3 as an example, and in Alien depending on how you want to interpret Mother's orders). Like typically it is telegrams and not IRC like you say, but I always got the implication that each major facility or big important spaceship has like one special terminal that's like a direct and almost instant channel to someone on earth. I also like personally because in my own tapletop game experience having just one like that makes it easy to set or alter the mood and the stakes of the game with regards to how much the players need to accomplish and how cut off or not they are from stuff.

I also like it because it makes the distribution of technology through the movies feel more accurate to how it is in real life, like of course a mega super corp guy's personal office or the absolute core of an expensive ship is going to have the one high tech communications thing in the area on it.

I love that disparity in Alien too, like how super clean the actual terminal to chat with Mother is compared to everything else.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Owlbear Camus posted:

Personal motivations? The world is hosed, what's your excuse to wake up and do poo poo instead of being put on ice and aimed towards Theta Epsilon 44 or whatever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hello fellow superfans.

Running a tabletop game and want to have a really easy-to-digest bare bones bullet point primer of the "feel" of the universe for the other busy middle aged dudes and dudettes with limited time who will be playing and may not be quite as invested.

It's 2180

The United Americas and Weyland-Yutani control most of the geo(galacto?)-political landscape. Think Amazon meets Raytheon meets Neocons, turn it up to eleven, and rip the knob off.

If you're trying to be "movie accurate", WY wasn't quite a moustache-twirling Umbrella Corporation evil superpower in 'Aliens' (2179). The only WY people at Ripley's interrogation in 'Aliens' are Van Leuwen and Burke, for example; everyone else in the room are from various government agencies.

Like yeah you could have WY doing heinous poo poo, but they tend to do it only if there aren't non-Company witnesses involved.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Oh definitely. That's just a primer on the world their dudes will inhabit. Their characters will hopefully come with some humanity to inject back into it.

Regarding comms I had Alien 3 in mind when I wrote it and iirc in the novelization/deleted scene the characters were flabbergasted to get a (colossally expesuve) real-time message for the first time ever. I figure if it's that rare leaving it off the primer might preserve that surprise on kind of a meta level if it happens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Personal motivations? The world is hosed, what's your excuse to wake up and do poo poo instead of being put on ice and aimed towards Theta Epsilon 44 or whatever.

Literally the only difference between his description and the real world right now is that there's spaceships and xenomorphs, yet life goes on and here we are. But for something like this the players would be making the characters and giving them whatever background/personality anyway.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Regarding comms I had Alien 3 in mind when I wrote it and iirc in the novelization/deleted scene the characters were flabbergasted to get a (colossally expesuve) real-time message for the first time ever. I figure if it's that rare leaving it off the primer might preserve that surprise on kind of a meta level if it happens.

That's a good idea actually, and now that you mention it there's a line like that in the movie too where Andrews is like "I'll have you know this is the first high priority transmission this facility has ever received!" or whatever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Literally the only difference between his description and the real world right now is that there's spaceships and xenomorphs, yet life goes on and here we are. But for something like this the players would be making the characters and giving them whatever background/personality anyway.

If you want to really turbo-gently caress the players, crib from 'Alien3' or 'Alien Resurrection' and have something horrific and outside their control happen when they're in cryo at the end of their adventure. :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

If you're trying to be "movie accurate", WY wasn't quite a moustache-twirling Umbrella Corporation evil superpower in 'Aliens' (2179). The only WY people at Ripley's interrogation in 'Aliens' are Van Leuwen and Burke, for example; everyone else in the room are from various government agencies.

Like yeah you could have WY doing heinous poo poo, but they tend to do it only if there aren't non-Company witnesses involved.

Good note- Leaving the last line off or softening it to say more along the lines that the company is out to screw you will let me show not tell and ratchet it up a bit when they realize someone actually decided All Other Priorities Are Rescinded.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 13, 2019

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Good note- Leaving the last line off or softening it tosay more along the lines that the company is out to screw you will let me show not tell and ratchet it up a bit when they realize someone actually decided All Other Priorities Are Rescinded.
"Is out to screw you" implies active malicious intent - I think it would be more accurate to say "won't hesitate to screw you to achieve their goals".

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Is it just a coincidence that Ripley and Riddley are such similar names?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SimonCat posted:

Is it just a coincidence that Ripley and Riddley are such similar names?

Yes.

quote:

There were several things that Giler and Hill immediately wanted to change. First, they disliked the names O’Bannon had bestowed on his characters. Names like ‘Melkonis’ and ‘Faust’ were a little too strange, they decided, and so they picked out new monikers with a more Earthly bent. “Some of the characters are named after athletes,” revealed Hill. “Brett was for George Brett, Parker was Dave Parker of The Pirates, and Lambert was Jack Lambert of The Steelers.” As for the ultimate survivor, Roby, “I named her Ripley, after Believe it or Not. Later, when she had to have a first name for I.D. cards, I added Ellen (my mother’s maiden name).”

From here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
A very odd coincidence then.

BTW, does anyone have a link to the freeze frame Alien epilogue set to "Sweet Home Alabama?"