Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Barudak posted:

I wish more people had played Landstalker or Alundra so we could properly categorize games like Hyper Light Drifter (which is real fun, btw)

Oh, well, poo poo, I wish someone had advertised HLD to me ("like Landstalker") that way sooner, now I'm like 10x as interested in it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Stardew Valley is another good choice for $15. If that kind of game is your thing then you’ll get 100s of hours out of it.

:lol: That's on my wishlist, but if past experience with Harvest Moon showed me anything, it's chill and fun but definitely not a quick game to pick up. I foresee myself playing Stardew and wondering where the last 3 hours went a lot.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/KapuccinoHeck/status/1084281636395630593

https://twitter.com/KapuccinoHeck/status/1084281638203342849

exciting!!

stunt race fx i used to play this as a kid

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
How reliable is that persons track record?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Give us Ufouria instead imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoEm6bycCw

or Trog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veDnQxxIOKE

Or put Plok on there if we have to move to snes already
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Lv8CnN7eo

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Give us Goof Troop please

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cool, Ill get switch online once thats real and not a second before.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

xedo posted:

PSA for people buying Tales of Vesperia. There are 2 free dlc packs. For some reason, at least as of right now, you can't see them on the eshop page for the game. You have to go through the switch's eshop, search for Tales, and they will be listed as search results separate from the main game. Super weird. One is a costume pack. The other, the Adventurer's Pack, is basically the New Game+ bonuses. They are completely unnecessary but if you want to get an instant 900,000 gold, like +40 levels, and a bunch of items hey go for it.

And my preference for a splatoon spinoff would be a borderlands style game. Explore ancient human ruins, fight off terrifying salmon, get a gazillion guns/buckets/paintbrushes while constantly yelling booyah in 4 player coop.

The DLC packs now show up under the main game's eShop page.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Seems too good to be true, especially all of those at once.:smith:

Anyone else able to see this data? Add Earthbound too and I won’t need my SNES Classic anymore.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 13, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Another way to play Star Fox 2 would be nice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sam Faust posted:

Another way to play Star Fox 2 would be nice.

Yeah, that seems like a game they're going to trot out every chance they can like they did for Sin and Punishment on the Wii and WiiU.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Knorth posted:

Give us Ufouria instead imo

Argue posted:

Give us Goof Troop please

Both please.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Give us more than 2 games a month :argh:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

So, like, is Breath of Fire 2 considered a snes classic? I love it but I'm not sure why it keeps making it into backwards compatibility.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Easy to license, maybe?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Capcom is one of the more desperate proactive companies about rereleasing their older IPs to cash in on the nostalgia market.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Man, gently caress SNES games, just give me Castlevania Circle of the Moon and Advance Wars from GBA and I will subscribe for life.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man, gently caress SNES games, just give me Castlevania Circle of the Moon and Advance Wars from GBA and I will subscribe for life.

Sorry but being able to see the screen is not the intended play experience of Circle of the Moon

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

GBA and DS are the new SNES

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'll be curious how they'd handle DS games in a retro capacity down the line.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Infinitum posted:

Probably like how they did on Wii U, just display both screens on the tv with a variety of options for how they’re arranged.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Which is why I always felt that the Switch should have included a stylus for the retro capacity.

I guess the inevitable Switch Mk2 might include one

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Infinitum posted:

Which is why I always felt that the Switch should have included a stylus for the retro capacity.

I guess the inevitable Switch Mk2 might include one

I totally could imagine a Mario Maker 2 including one.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

So, like, is Breath of Fire 2 considered a snes classic? I love it but I'm not sure why it keeps making it into backwards compatibility.

Breath of Fire 2 is one of the better SNES RPGs, especially released from anyone besides the dual titans of Square and Enix. It's translation is... questionable, but the gameplay is strong for the era of RPG it is. Plus unlike BoF1, Capcom published it themselves in the States, so they're free to hand it out to whoever they like for an english port.
Considering both Konami and Capcom are on board, the bigger surprise is what's not on that list- Super Castlevania IV and Mega Man X are pretty high-profile omissions considering that Mystical Ninja and Demon's Crest are showing up.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Put some SNES Mouse games on there, rigged up to work with the touch screen.

Mostly because I want Vegas Stakes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mr. Locke posted:

Considering both Konami and Capcom are on board, the bigger surprise is what's not on that list- Super Castlevania IV and Mega Man X are pretty high-profile omissions considering that Mystical Ninja and Demon's Crest are showing up.

Capcom probably want people to buy the Megaman X Collection instead (same reason behind there being no Megaman games in the NES group). Super Castlevania 4's more of a question, though I can totally see there being a Castlevania collection being put out this year.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I sure would love the switch in a slightly thinner chassis at roughly 3 times its current price.

As an upside, the Switch 2 might not use underpowered off-the-shelf components

(I jest. I also don't think Nintnedo is ever going to sell to anyone in my lifetime, and their stockpile of cash will make them difficult to buy for good value).

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Having beaten Hyper Light Drifter I feel a bit sad, that I won't play a game that good in a while most likely. I'm going to get through Starlink next, and I have Okami, which I got from the sale and I know neither are as good as HLD.

For those who haven't it played it I would certainly compare it favorably to Hollow Knight. It's not really a Metroidvania, it's a adventure game with a easy to learn/understand movement and combat style that it pushes you to master with increasingly challenging fights. Put that in a large game world in which you have to explore and fight your way to unlocking your MacGuffins.

The world was ethereal and mysterious and while I've heard complaints about the 'lack' of story, I think the game is atmospheric enough that you don't really care what the answers are, it's just cool to have seen it. So it does exploration like HK, it has tough but fair combat like HK, and it oozes atmosphere. A lot of that comes from it's amazing soundtrack by Disasterpeace. A soundtrack that isn't worth listening to on its own, because it's meshed in perfectly with the game.

I know that Gris is supposedly the indie darling now, but I don't feel it'd evoke what HLD and HK did, both of them being reminiscent in a way to BotW. Once I eventually get Rain World, I hope it manages to strike a similar tone.

HLD is dope. It was my favorite game of 2016 (Hollow Knight being my fav of 2017), and I even played through it before they patched it to 60fps. I love the tone and atmosphere; I get strong 70s Sci-Fi vibes from it. I'm excited to see what Heart Machine does next, and I hope their founder's health doesn't limit his ability to do what he wants to do.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Capcom, put the Disney Collection on the Nintendo Switch, you cowards.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Infinitum posted:

They won't

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Barudak posted:

Sorry but being able to see the screen is not the intended play experience of Circle of the Moon

I 100%ed that game when I was a teenager and I think I remember exactly nothing about what it looked like for this reason.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Circle of the Moon was developed entirely with a dev kit on a PC, which is why the art direction was so dark. It looked fine on back-lit LCDs and CRTs. It looks like garbage on the original GBA's lovely screen.

I loved that game as a young teen coming fresh off of SOTN, but it's really hard to go back to, even on emulators. The movement speed is just so drat slow, and the sprites are so large that you end up with the Metroid 2 effect of having very little of the surrounding environment around you that you can actually see.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Barudak posted:

I wish more people had played Landstalker or Alundra so we could properly categorize games like Hyper Light Drifter (which is real fun, btw)

I maybe wasn't clear enough but the game isn't like Hollow Knight, it just evoked a similar feeling. They share very superficial similarities in the things I mentioned. I do think if you like HK you'd like HLD.

I've never played the games mentioned but before adopting her, our cat was previously called Alundra, which a friend was very excited to tell me about.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Nintendo Europe published their list of Most Played Games in 2018 based on European Nintendo accounts, so have at you:

1. Fortnite
  2. The Legend of Zelda: BotW
  3. Super Mario Odyssey
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  6. FIFA 18
  7. Minecraft
  8. Pokémon: Let's Go, Electric Rat!
  9. Pokémon: Let's Go, Weird Looking Dog!
  10. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  11. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  12. Rocket League
  13. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  14. Pokémon Quest
  15. Stardew Valley
  16. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
  17. Octopath Traveler
  18. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
  19. Paladins
  20. Super Mario Party
  21. Mario Tennis Aces

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Going to 21 is weird.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Numbers aren't real

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

CharlestheHammer posted:

Going to 21 is weird.

It's their list, Nintendo can do what they want.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Should I get NSMB? I've never played it before but it's kinda pricey for a re-release.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

a7m2 posted:

Should I get NSMB? I've never played it before but it's kinda pricey for a re-release.

Did you like any of the prior New Super Mario Brothers games? Because its just more of that.

If you havent theyre iterations on the Super Mario Brothers formula so all side scrollers and feel like around first-party expansion pack in terms of ideas. Has 4 player co-op with button to just insta progress through the level for players who want a break or might no have the skills for a section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I had written off NSMB Wii years ago, mainly thinking it was nothing more than just a Wii version of the original DS game. I was partially correct. Going back through and trying to get all 3 big coins from each level, unlocking World 9, and trying to beat THOSE levels definitely made me realize that there's more going on. There are a ton of secrets and little fun techniques for certain levels, and it gave me a full mix of SMB 1, 3, and World, when it all comes down to it.

So, on the surface, it can seem simple, maybe too easy. Trying to 100% it, though... That's where the real game is. I hope NSMBUD is the same, but more.