Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's typically set in Group Policy. You should ask your IT group about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Darth Llama posted:

I purchased a refurbished motherboard and reused an SSD from a previous PC (with a licensed W10 install). During installation I erased the original partition to do a new install, but after the install it apparently had already activated Windows. Did it somehow carry over a license from the SSD or did it pull the hash from the refurb motherboard?

Pulled one from the motherboard. Consider yourself lucky, I guess?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GreatGreen posted:

Does anybody know how to enable username caching on Windows 10 domain PCs?

I recently changed jobs, and in my last job when I booted my PC, Windows would have my username cached and ready to go, with the cursor focused in the Password field. However, my new job requires that I manually enter both my username and password into the PC every time I boot.

Anybody know how to pre-load the most recently used username into Windows so you only have to enter the password?

Your IT guys have probably enabled a group policy disabling that feature, sorry.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've been using ReFS on my current Windows 10 (formerly Windows 8.1) box for a while now, since I had the disks set up before they removed the functionality. I'm getting ready to build a new system and I don't want to keep half-assing my data drives, so I'm torn between paying out the rump for Windows for Workstations and just giving up and using NTFS. All the pragmatic arguments seem to push me to NTFS, but I feel a stubborn drive to cling to data checksums and other goodness. Does anyone have any insight into what's on the future roadmap? Is ReFS dead on the desktop and Workstation just a shameless money grab, or is this a plausible future for data drives? I have enough FLAC and Canon raw files that I do expect to have data drives for many years to come.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Throw your drives in a synology chassis and be done with it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I've got a niche Windows 10 question! Maybe you guys can help.

I have Folder 1 where I export image files, and I want every file I save to Folder 1 to be automatically copied to Folder 2.

This is because Folder 1 belongs solely to me, whereas Folder 2 is a shared Dropbox, and I don't want anybody on Folder 2 to delete the original files by mistake (even if I can recover them, I might not notice and it's a pain)

What's a good way to do this?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

smoobles posted:

I have Folder 1 where I export image files, and I want every file I save to Folder 1 to be automatically copied to Folder 2.

This is because Folder 1 belongs solely to me, whereas Folder 2 is a shared Dropbox, and I don't want anybody on Folder 2 to delete the original files by mistake (even if I can recover them, I might not notice and it's a pain)

The easiest and simplest way to do that is to copy them in both locations yourself.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Is robocopy still a thing? I haven't used it in forever, but a scheduled robocopy task can do that.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

So windows update just gave me a wandering cursor, thankfully same day update fixed it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Does anybody know how to enable username caching on Windows 10 domain PCs?

I recently changed jobs, and in my last job when I booted my PC, Windows would have my username cached and ready to go, with the cursor focused in the Password field. However, my new job requires that I manually enter both my username and password into the PC every time I boot.

Anybody know how to pre-load the most recently used username into Windows so you only have to enter the password?

If you're a local admin, set:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
dontdisplaylastusername
reg_dword

but as everyone else has mentioned, GPO will probably revert it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Question for you folks, I'm about to build a new system and in preparation I'm trying to use the Windows Media Creation Tool to make a usb stick installer.

Except the bastard just won't work. It seems to stop downloading/make no progress whenever my screen turns off, has silently crashed once and gone right back to 0% progress another time. What the hell?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
MCT is highly internet-connection dependent. It basically is a secure endpoint for downloading a Windows 10 ISO and putting it into a flash drive. The faster your internet connection, the faster it finishes, the more stable the internet, the fewer problems.

Download stopping when the screen turns off implies that your power settings are such that it turns off wifi when it goes into low-power state.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

smoobles posted:

FreeFileSync has a real-time sync feature that I think will do what you're asking. I don't use it myself because I have the backup drive offline most of the time, but I otherwise like the software.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

MCT is highly internet-connection dependent. It basically is a secure endpoint for downloading a Windows 10 ISO and putting it into a flash drive. The faster your internet connection, the faster it finishes, the more stable the internet, the fewer problems.

Download stopping when the screen turns off implies that your power settings are such that it turns off wifi when it goes into low-power state.

Well, my internet is slow as poo poo, so that could have something to do with it.

I'm wired in, and my power settings are setup just to turn off the screen, nothing else goes into low power mode. Maybe I'll try it at work with their connection.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My PC did an automatic reboot for an update today and it's still on 1803. I only have feature updates deferred for 30 days. :confuoot:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

isndl posted:

My PC did an automatic reboot for an update today and it's still on 1803. I only have feature updates deferred for 30 days. :confuoot:

January's patch Tuesday was this week.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

smoobles posted:

I do all my financial stuff on my PC and I use Synkron to occasionally back everything up to my Mac, which is backed up by Crashplan. I have local backups of both machines but I like to have this captured by offsite as well.

isndl
May 2, 2012

astral posted:

January's patch Tuesday was this week.

I'm aware, but the 1809 October update still isn't going out to all users apparently. Wasn't it supposed to be 'fixed' for general release now?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Man this new round of updates for 7 and 10 are hosed up.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Care to elaborate on that, or were you just saying it because you're 95% certain to be right?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Geemer posted:

Care to elaborate on that, or were you just saying it because you're 95% certain to be right?

on 7 they broke network file sharing and activation

on 10 they broke some miscellaneous poo poo and because "windows updates busted again!" is now a super-easy story, a patch that probably has a very average number of issues is getting the disaster treatment

on office they broke japan

edit: I've just noticed how all the janitors, who were very insistent that delaying or blocking updates was the worst dumbest thing anyone could do and would make your pc get owned by cryptoworms instantly, have all vanished from the thread

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 12, 2019

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

on 7 they broke network file sharing and activation

on 10 they broke some miscellaneous poo poo and because "windows updates busted again!" is now a super-easy story, a patch that probably has a very average number of issues is getting the disaster treatment

:allears:
Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Klyith posted:

edit: I've just noticed how all the janitors, who were very insistent that delaying or blocking updates was the worst dumbest thing anyone could do and would make your pc get owned by cryptoworms instantly, have all vanished from the thread

I absolutely won't fault anyone for delaying updates (as I mentioned earlier I'm on a 30 day deferment myself), but there's a big difference between waiting on updating and disabling updates entirely. Nobody in this thread asks how to delay updates, they only ask how to disable them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm still here, I just don't see Windows 7, legacy browser interfaces for hardware, or eight-year old versions of Microsoft Office as issues with keeping Windows 10 up to date.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
It’s all just making LTSC an increasingly compelling option by the week, despite their best efforts to bury it in various ways.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Laslow posted:

It’s all just making LTSC an increasingly compelling option by the week, despite their best efforts to bury it in various ways.

:getin:

One of the best IT decisions I've ever made, as long as you don't ask the poor bastards who just looooove Surface devices.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
LTSC just means annoying interface bugs stay present, because fixing them would require a feature update the way Microsoft updates Windows 10.

Also, less reason to moan about on the forums about issues that don't affect you.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Lambert posted:

LTSC just means annoying interface bugs stay present, because fixing them would require a feature update the way Microsoft updates Windows 10.

Also, less reason to moan about on the forums about issues that don't affect you.

I dunno, there have been more 'annoying interface bugs' introduced than squashed since at least 1607. 1607 was pretty much the pinnacle as far as Windows 10 releases went, it's all been downhill from there.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

dissss posted:

I dunno, there have been more 'annoying interface bugs' introduced than squashed since at least 1607. 1607 was pretty much the pinnacle as far as Windows 10 releases went, it's all been downhill from there.

Yep. After that, they removed the old Control Panel option from the start menu context menu!!
(Among other things. 1607 really is a very "clean" release, it feels solid, especially in its LTSB incarnation).

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I read an article on can't that said windows uodste is going to start reserving 7GB of space, and it is a feature that can be turned off if necessary. Is this true, or is it a good idea to turn off this feature? I'm fine with leaving 7GB of free space on my SSD, I just kinda dislike the idea of reserving the space for the rare large update.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Crotch Fruit posted:

I read an article on can't that said windows uodste is going to start reserving 7GB of space, and it is a feature that can be turned off if necessary. Is this true, or is it a good idea to turn off this feature? I'm fine with leaving 7GB of free space on my SSD, I just kinda dislike the idea of reserving the space for the rare large update.

It looks to me like the reserved storage is going to be empty space, not pre-allocated in like a database or something. Drive free space will just be reported as smaller to the user & programs. So unlike hibernation files or similar the SSD is free to continue using all empty area for its normal page shuffling.

With a SSD this is a pretty good feature to leave on. You want to keep free space available on a SSD anyways, some people even recommend short-partitioning SSDs by a few GB to enforce that free space. Now windows will do it for you but in a more flexible way.

Also, both windows updates and temporary files will "use" the reserved space. I just ran the disk cleanup tool on my pc to check how much space windows update was eating, and it was over 5 GB. So this doesn't seem wildly overspecced for just the rare large updates.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

HalloKitty posted:

Yep. After that, they removed the old Control Panel option from the start menu context menu!!
(Among other things. 1607 really is a very "clean" release, it feels solid, especially in its LTSB incarnation).

The biggest catch is hardware support that relies on specific builds, for example, 1607 won't run a current-gen processor.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klyith posted:

This is going to happen to a whole lot of systems since for the first time in modern computing history the Japanese Emperor is changing and with that literally the entire Japanese calendar changes apparently. It’s like the UNIX Epoch moving fifty years all of a sudden. This time change has never been tested or written for in a lot of programs.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arivia posted:

This is going to happen to a whole lot of systems since for the first time in modern computing history the Japanese Emperor is changing and with that literally the entire Japanese calendar changes apparently. It’s like the UNIX Epoch moving fifty years all of a sudden. This time change has never been tested or written for in a lot of programs.
This is sort of an exaggeration because as far as I'm aware no software uses Japanese eras internally for processing and it's pretty much just an issue of date formatting. Also, while screwing up the formatting would be understandable, I believe the updates actually caused Excel to crash.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

isndl posted:

I absolutely won't fault anyone for delaying updates (as I mentioned earlier I'm on a 30 day deferment myself), but there's a big difference between waiting on updating and disabling updates entirely. Nobody in this thread asks how to delay updates, they only ask how to disable them.

When a particular feature of the OS is like playing russian roulette with your computer, you're going to turn it the gently caress off, not hope it's better in a month.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mystes posted:

This is sort of an exaggeration because as far as I'm aware no software uses Japanese eras internally for processing and it's pretty much just an issue of date formatting.

"I'm sure no programmer would have reason to use the official calendar of the large country they live in". Really?

There wasn't too much issue at the last era changeover in 1989, even though there was only a few months' warning of the previous emperor's cancer diagnosis, but there was also massive effort to bear to cope with the change. And of course computers were used much less widely then. Even still, there was quite a bit of hassle as things shook out and programs took time to properly handle the new era.

It is believed that some of the software "fixed" in 1989 might still be running with two digit representation of years of the prior era, which will likely cause problems in 2026 if it's still around. Much as many random small programs did have issues with y2k despite all the important stuff getting fixed.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 14, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012

Javid posted:

When a particular feature of the OS is like playing russian roulette with your computer, you're going to turn it the gently caress off, not hope it's better in a month.

Odds of a patch bricking your device after it's been in the wild for a month is pretty slim. Odds of some software fuckery is larger, but unavoidable if you want to be up to date on security and hardware support.

Remember that security updates are like vaccinations: it's not just to protect you, but also everyone around you as you won't become a transmission vector. Don't become part of a botnet just because you feel inconvenienced by updates.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Your vaccination analogy fell apart when MS decided to skip out on the clinical trials.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

"I'm sure no programmer would have reason to use the official calendar of the large country they live in". Really?

There wasn't too much issue at the last era changeover in 1989, even though there was only a few months' warning of the previous emperor's cancer diagnosis, but there was also massive effort to bear to cope with the change. And of course computers were used much less widely then. Even still, there was quite a bit of hassle as things shook out and programs took time to properly handle the new era.

It is believed that some of the software "fixed" in 1989 might still be running with two digit representation of years of the prior era, which will likely cause problems in 2026 if it's still around. Much as many random small programs did have issues with y2k despite all the important stuff getting fixed.
I didn't say that no software uses these dates at all. The government prefers that date format so they'll have to update forms on their lovely websites, and any software that has a function to display dates in this format will need to be updated. However, internal date processing won't be affected except in software where people not only rolled their own date library but also specifically decided to use Japanese era years in it. Since any computations handling years before 1989 would already have to deal with two eras and since western dates used just as commonly as Japanese eras, only a complete idiot would choose to use the era years as an internal date format.

I mean, I'm sure some companies have all of their important data in a single excel file that uses dates like "H31.01.14" instead of actual Excel dates and their VBA functions are going to break and bring their business to a halt, but in that case they deserve it.

Edit; It's literally less of an issue in terms of date processing than the stupid idea to have 2 hour daylight savings time just for the 2020 Olympics would have been.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mystes posted:

I didn't say that no software uses these dates at all. The government prefers that date format so they'll have to update forms on their lovely websites, and any software that has a function to display dates in this format will need to be updated. However, internal date processing won't be affected except in software where people not only rolled their own date library but also specifically decided to use Japanese era years in it.

What is so surprising to you about software developers re-implementing something they shouldn't have? It's not like Japan is a country of 500 people, there's massive amounts of domestic software there. And we already know that a sizable amount of software did need fixing the last time an era change occurred. There's a lot of data that does in fact need to be handled with the era names even if you think it's antiquated to use it, nobody's changed the laws on that, and though the standard practice is to give a year or so of leeway in getting things like dates in contracts properly changed after an era change there can be straight up legal consequences with a system that keeps spitting out incorrect era names after a certain point.

Like jesus dude, there's still all sorts of poo poo used in the West that has just the barest fixes neccesary to handle Y2K issues, especially in line of business applications.

mystes posted:

Edit; It's literally less of an issue in terms of date processing than the stupid idea to have 2 hour daylight savings time just for the 2020 Olympics would have been.

I must have missed when double summer time changed the names of the hours and they also didn't tell you what the change would be until it happened?