Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked that final conversation with Rebecca and Valencia at the restaurant/bar:

"I didn't even do anything wrong this time right?!"
"Yeah, you were fine."
"I just wanted to get laid, but apparently that's never gonna happen!"

Just her bewilderment that even when she had no weird schemes underway and barely any underhanded tactics beyond lying about her genital hygiene failures things still blew up in her face.

I also liked that moment with the new boss that Rebecca met at group therapy mentioning that the rivalry that Darryl invented has made him feel really emotionally raw and he's needed to attend group a lot more often to cope with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BioEnchanted posted:

I also liked that moment with the new boss that Rebecca met at group therapy mentioning that the rivalry that Darryl invented has made him feel really emotionally raw and he's needed to attend group a lot more often to cope with that.
She knew Bert before they happened to meet in group therapy.
To be fair, he looks quite a bit different in a suit. But I guess Plimpton wouldn't really be impressed by his sewer spelunking outfit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

cant cook creole bream posted:

She knew Bert before they happened to meet in group therapy.
To be fair, he looks quite a bit different in a suit. But I guess Plimpton wouldn't really be impressed by his sewer spelunking outfit.

I wasn't sure if it was the same guy, thought it was though. Must be rough having both BPD and Schizophrenia.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I wasn't sure if it was the same guy, thought it was though. Must be rough having both BPD and Schizophrenia.

Apparently those illnesses are somewhat correlated. Furthermore, a lot of people who have both would not be diagnosed correctly, since the schizophrenia would be way more apparent and would be made responsible for those "mood swings". I think it was stated that Bert was misdiagnosed before.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I loved the dig at NPH: "He was right, who was that girl with the ridiculous tiny hat?"
What was that about?

Of what? :confused:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tiggum posted:

What was that about?
Rachel Bloom was doing backstage stuff at the last Tony's and Neil Patrick Harris sent out a tweet being critical of her that included the phrase "who is this woman" despite the fact that Rachel has not only met him many times, but her husband worked on How I Met Your Mother, writing a really significant episode for Harris's character.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 13, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

What was that about?

Of what? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24eVmr9b5kM

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Rachel Bloom was doing backstage stuff at the last Tony's and Rachel Bloom sent out a tweet being critical of her that included the phrase "who is this woman" despite the fact that Rachel has not only met him many times, but her husband worked on How I Met Your Mother, writing a really significant episode for Harris's character.

That does seem confusing

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

One of my favorite things from this show is seeing how far Rebecca and Valencia’s relationship has come, and Valencia as a character in general. A great example of character growth without changing who they are fundamentally

I remember reading that Gabrielle Ruiz was so nice off-screen that they had trouble writing her character as so nasty. I was also thinking the other day of how "believable", taken with a grain of salt obviously, the different characters' growths have been. Valencia isn't mean anymore, Josh's childishness is usually portrayed as a negative (though part of that could be because we're not seeing him through Rebecca's eyes anymore), Paula isn't addicted to scheming, etc. It's not all believable except in the sitcom sense, but it makes the show enjoyable to watch. At least Greg hasn't changed one bit, so there's some stability there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never felt love!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that was definitely something about threatening to kill him and drop his body in a river. Dang my Spanish is rusty.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I was talking about this show with somebody the other day and I said I liked Greg and wished he'd come back and they were like "Good news! He's back in the new season!"

What I meant to say was I liked the actor who played Greg. Who's this new motherfucker this is bullshit

Edit: Also Rebecca's plotline is lame as gently caress. You gonna close this show out on a "who's she gonna be with?" There's like, much bigger issues to work through than just who she's banging.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 19, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like this season for the way it's putting other characters together that don't hang out much and making them interact. Nathaniel with Josh or Heather for example. Also it's less "Who is she gonna be with" and more "She's finally in a position where she can put herself in a romantic relationship without burning his house down if things don't work out".

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"A face is a face"

Finally! A clue about why Skylar Astin can't move his face! In any role! Ever!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

I was talking about this show with somebody the other day and I said I liked Greg and wished he'd come back and they were like "Good news! He's back in the new season!"

What I meant to say was I liked the actor who played Greg. Who's this new motherfucker this is bullshit

Edit: Also Rebecca's plotline is lame as gently caress. You gonna close this show out on a "who's she gonna be with?" There's like, much bigger issues to work through than just who she's banging.

New Greg was a good gag for an episode, but my brain keeps zoning out and sort of accepting it until someone says his name and then I'm reminded it's not Santino Fontana. They write his lines like Greg at least.

I'm not digging Rebecca's plot either. With two (three? Is the other guy still in the picture?) possible guys she might end up with this late, it's hard to imagine a series ending where she picks one and we believe she's actually going to stick with the relationship for as long as it takes. Realistically her issues aren't going to ever go away, they'll just be more manageable.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean the obvious ending would for her to just be by herself and okay with that, but that's a little too neat. It's not like people with mental health issues don't deserve love or can't form lasting romantic relationships, that's why she cut herself off from Nathaniel last season and look how that worked out.

I'm willing to see where this goes. We've got time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The key thing to recall is that this isn't a repeat of Season 1 - In prior relationships she followed a pattern of behaviour - Glitter explosion, obsessiveness, throwing herself into a sexual relationship, does something weird or dramatic and scares them off, shame spiral, arson and suicidal ideation. This time, every stage is being examined by her to make sure it's not following the same pattern. She noticed when she was getting too obsessive with Nathaniel, noticed and sought Paula's help when she saw the three of them and the Glitter Explosions returned, and now she saw herself getting horny, stepped back and evaluated "Is this what I want, or is it my BPD again?"

This is her choice now, one she is making in her right mind and she is at least able to deconstruct her own feelings and work out what's really her and what's a misfiring neuron or chemical imbalance.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is gonna be a good episode

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I like how Movie-Maya is different from the real Maya

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I never had a real mom, just a dead mom.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm desperately coveting Maya's outfit from when she gives the presentation. That thing is a hot nightmare and I could never pull it off, but it's so ludicrously cool.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked after the daydream with "You'd look really great in a mauve dress..." "Don't even. Not appropriate at all!" Nathaniel just being a little dazed after having a weird mood.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ugh, hockey!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Android Blues posted:

I'm desperately coveting Maya's outfit from when she gives the presentation. That thing is a hot nightmare and I could never pull it off, but it's so ludicrously cool.

I feel like I've seen her karaoke dress in this show somewhere before

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Without glasses Esther Povitsky kinda looks like a white Gabrielle Ruiz

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I am glad she got more screen time; now I want an episode that is all Maya.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that she's not afraid to tell people when they are being poo poo. She always calls them out, like with Darryl bullying her since she first appeared, and now with Nathaniel's inappropriate comment about what clothes she'd look best in. She's still kind of a Cartoon Millenial, but she's also fairly realistic as a person even with that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I really liked a lot of the detail stuff- like, the music is different and more like what you'd hear in a romcom, the constant cutaways to stock footage of New York (despite it still being West Covina), etc.

Also Paula being the character obsessed with The Big Business Deal. Donna Lynne Champlin sold that very well.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Maxwell Lord posted:

I really liked a lot of the detail stuff- like, the music is different and more like what you'd hear in a romcom, the constant cutaways to stock footage of New York (despite it still being West Covina), etc.

Also Paula being the character obsessed with The Big Business Deal. Donna Lynne Champlin sold that very well.

Rachel really sold over-acting and chewing the scenery well, too.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I feel stupid, but did it have the theme song this time? I don't remember seeing Other Rebecca.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I feel stupid, but did it have the theme song this time? I don't remember seeing Other Rebecca.

Nope. Rebecca wasn't the protagonist this week.

Finally, the pretty rich white guy is in charge. :v: No seriously, I really liked this episode and it's great how much Nathaniel developed himself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked "This is gonna sound.. weird... but I just had learned something while imagining my life as a popular film genre..." "No no, I can relate..."

Also liked "I only saw the first hour of those stupid movies, then the tone changed and it got all serious and started raining..."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Great ep. It was good to see them acknowledge Esther Povitsky can carry a story on her own after shuffling her into the background for so long. It was a bit weird that she's got her own show that she's great on and she's just an also-ran on this show.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

Great ep. It was good to see them acknowledge Esther Povitsky can carry a story on her own after shuffling her into the background for so long. It was a bit weird that she's got her own show that she's great on and she's just an also-ran on this show.

Alas, Alone Together got canceled after Season 2, I think. I'm going to be honest, I tried getting into it but I felt like she was being Maya up to 11 and I couldn't finish the pilot.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Alas, Alone Together got canceled after Season 2, I think. I'm going to be honest, I tried getting into it but I felt like she was being Maya up to 11 and I couldn't finish the pilot.

I sure hope you are wrong about alone together, because that show is amazing. I really enjoyed this episode! I didn’t get to watch it until Saturday evening, so I had already sort of seen descriptions. I thought Nathaniel didn’t need a whole epsidoe for his story. But it was sweet, and I love Maya. I do not like or accept new Greg, and I would rather Greg have stayed gone.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Alone Together is not bad. Esther Povitsky is good this in this show and I'm glad she's being acknowledged

anotherjen
Oct 23, 2010

appleskates posted:

I do not like or accept new Greg, and I would rather Greg have stayed gone.

Me neither. I just can't get on board.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I miss Jason. :smith:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nah, totally different characters

:rip: that show. Didn't know it got canceled. They cranked out that second season so fast, I thought a third might be on the way soon

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, totally different characters

In the sense that it felt like they took the stereotypical "millennial" attributes of Maya and pushed them way too hard at the expense of depth. But again, I gave up half-way through the pilot, I could be getting the wrong impression.