Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The Democrats are, in fact, in Washington right now, correct?

Also heartening to see those poll numbers despite the media both sidesing this as hard as they loving can

I mean it’s the weekend they might have flown home to meet with the people they are representing.

E:

Are fake AI generated dogs good boys?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

eke out posted:

i feel skeptical about polls that don't seem to offer a 'don't know' or 'not sure' option on this issue, it seems like people that fall into that group are probably defaulting to "both sides are to blame" because that's a general idea about gridlock in politics most low-information voters have internalized

It specifically says those numbers weren't included in the graph but that they did offer those options in the poll.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

"So much that is bad"

He really does have a second grade education.

I keep thinking I'll stop being stunned by his increasing level of idiocy, but I never do

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yep. As I have heard it they are paying Feburary a month ahead of time and telling people not to spend it as they won't get a normal February payment. So essentially, its an advance with the hopes that people don't realize they are missing a February payment if that makes any sense.
Which, to be clear, is a good thing if you assume that the shutdown will go into February. People need SNAP money to survive, and you can't assume private charities and state budgets can pick up the slack. Plus presumably the states won't actually disburse the funds until February, so it shouldn't directly affect people on the ground.

Presumably this is the USDA preparing for the worst and being unwilling to gamble with people's lives, and not an indication of a larger strategy.

Edit: of course, if Medicaid has taught me anything, every state is unique and administers federal programs in their own bizarre way, so some states won't be able to make the request and some states will give people a lump sum on their card with no indication or warning. But better than nothing.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 13, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'm one of the 23% of Democrats who blame Democrats for the shutdown.

In related news, all 23% of us eat wallpaper paste out of a loving jar with our hands and have to be reminded to breathe every 30 seconds or so because we are mind-numbingly loving dumb and most of us will be eaten by ambush predators soon.

My friend is one of the 23%. He says the Democrats "Are the only adults in the room so they should just give him the stupid money cause it's basically zero dollars and won't get built anyway"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

It specifically says those numbers weren't included in the graph but that they did offer those options in the poll.

it specifically says they didn't include 'no opinion' or 'neither,' which are not what i was talking about

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

My friend is one of the 23%. He says the Democrats "Are the only adults in the room so they should just give him the stupid money cause it's basically zero dollars and won't get built anyway"

Yes, the problem isn't the toddler brained wet president or complicit GOP majority in Congress that already had unanimous approval of a clean CR. Is the Dems refusing to accede to every random whim of fox and friends.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Democrats are, in fact, in Washington right now, correct?

Also heartening to see those poll numbers despite the media both sidesing this as hard as they loving can
House and Senate adjourned until Monday on Friday afternoon

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
If you check out fivethirtyeight's aggregate approval poll, Trump is down quite a bit in the last week. 0.4 points since Thursday I think.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1084476603269373953 Welp.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zombie Dachshund posted:

50000 years of evolution

The function of aposematism is to prevent attack, by warning potential predators that the prey animal has defences such as being unpalatable or poisonous. The easily detected warning is a primary defence mechanism, and the non-visible defences are secondary. Aposematic signals are primarily visual, using bright colours and high-contrast patterns such as stripes. Warning signals are honest indications of noxious prey, because conspicuousness evolves in tandem with noxiousness. Thus, the brighter and more conspicuous the organism, the more toxic it usually is.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Nenonen posted:

The function of aposematism is to prevent attack, by warning potential predators that the prey animal has defences such as being unpalatable or poisonous. The easily detected warning is a primary defence mechanism, and the non-visible defences are secondary. Aposematic signals are primarily visual, using bright colours and high-contrast patterns such as stripes. Warning signals are honest indications of noxious prey, because conspicuousness evolves in tandem with noxiousness. Thus, the brighter and more conspicuous the organism, the more toxic it usually is.

Please do not eat clowns

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I wonder if this ends with trump making huge concessions in other areas to get his wall, just so he ‘wins’.

Imagine explaining to your children that this is how we got UHC

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

That's not the J'onn J'onzz I know.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey anyone remember the guy who took creep shots of AOC?

https://twitter.com/eScarry/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Just having a normal time.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

The Elon Musk strategy, I see.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Please do not eat clowns

Do they taste funny or something?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

eke out posted:

i feel like this all confirms reports that he's afraid to do the emergency declaration route

like his aides want him to do that, have it get enjoined by a court, and declare that he's done his best and will revisit it once the case finishes (which it won't before 2020)

but he's now decided that even that route would be a win for Democrats therefore he can't give it to them and must continue the shutdown indefinitely. which, ironically, is tremendously good for the democrats lol

He painted himself into a corner by being a dumb reactionary baby and so now he's hosed either way he goes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

themrguy posted:

I wonder if this ends with trump making huge concessions in other areas to get his wall, just so he ‘wins’.

This won’t happen because the Dem position is, correctly, based on the firm stance that reopening the government is not some give and take. Turning this standoff into a negotiation, even if the terms that the Dems demand is for the moon and stars, legitimizes Trumps position in the minds of everyone watching.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Majorian posted:

Indeed, I've never seen a redhead in my life! Nor have I ever heard of hair dye.

I'm sure those women just love having their images used like this btw.

I mean... cue the lovely jokes about dating read heads.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

skylined! posted:

This never happened and anyone willing to look at your posting history can watch in real time how you tried to hard to make it look like it was happening.

I remember the idea that Trump had a “floor” of support which can never be broken being brought up in this thread before and advocated by a few. Of course it’s ridiculous to say “this thread” said that as if it’s a collective with only one take on every issue, we usually get a few different opinions. I really dislike absolute statements like the original post, they’re very unhelpful. It’s also a bit early to tell whether or not things have changed.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Mercury Ballistic posted:

If you check out fivethirtyeight's aggregate approval poll, Trump is down quite a bit in the last week. 0.4 points since Thursday I think.

Yeah, the trend line isn't sharp, but it's steady, and he's really close to dipping below 40% approval. One of the most recent polls was in the upper 30's. If this goes on another week I can see him dropping into the 30's across the board.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1084481375879585792?s=21

I wonder why this ghoul was being pushed so hard as a 2020 presidential contender :thunk:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

themrguy posted:

I'd trade the wall for UHC, DACA protections, and gun reform. Nothing less.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://twitter.com/eScarry/status/...ingawful.com%2F

What the gently caress this keeps popping up in the news, wtf is this about? No im not reading the article because it makes me feel ill.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Trump didn't get what he wanted so he took his ball and went home and is now mad that the kids won't come over and play with him.

Also, I think the back and forth about national emergency is more about him wanting attention than whether or not he wants to do it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Please do not eat clowns

They taste funny.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Your Taint posted:

I'd trade the wall for UHC, DACA protections, and gun reform. Nothing less.

Pretty much yeah. Overturning Citizens United maybe too. But yeah, it would have to huge.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

this got posted a ton when he was getting ratioed about AOC, i don't think it's particularly relevant out of nowhere at the moment

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

She's good

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'm one of the 23% of Democrats who blame Democrats for the shutdown.

In related news, all 23% of us eat wallpaper paste out of a loving jar with our hands and have to be reminded to breathe every 30 seconds or so because we are mind-numbingly loving dumb and most of us will be eaten by ambush predators soon.

It's actually 6% of democrats, so basically nobody

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1084481375879585792?s=21

I wonder why this ghoul was being pushed so hard as a 2020 presidential contender :thunk:

Not that Beto is woke, or that attacking firefighters' unions is at all acceptable, but there is nothing wrong with trying to tear down police unions. That's not a union, it's a gang.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

themrguy posted:

Pretty much yeah. Overturning Citizens United maybe too. But yeah, it would have to huge.

+UBI

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Mineaiki posted:

Not that Beto is woke, or that attacking firefighters' unions is at all acceptable, but there is nothing wrong with trying to tear down police unions. That's not a union, it's a gang.

quote:

and the city was stuck in contracts with the police and firefighter unions which provided for annual raises and benefits. The city manager was proposing a five percent property tax increase and other hikes in fees to pay for them, but the city council wanted the unions to defer some of the wage increases and forfeit some of the holidays

Sorry, but not over this. This is just bog-standard union busting

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Condiv posted:

Sorry, but not over this. This is just bog-standard union busting

Yeah I mean clearly it's meant to be broadly applied to all government workers. There's no reason they wouldn't crush all workers once they get the right to crush a couple. I should have made that clear.

I just did want to point out that police unions aren't real unions and shouldn't exist.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Martian posted:

It's actually 6% of democrats, so basically nobody

Even counting the both siders it's only 11.

How reliable are those affiliations anyway? I bet a bunch of idiots identify as democrats while voting straight Gop.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Plenty of snow on the ground in DC today. Are we going to get a 'could use some global warming' tweet from Donald?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Eeyo posted:

I remember the idea that Trump had a “floor” of support which can never be broken being brought up in this thread before and advocated by a few. Of course it’s ridiculous to say “this thread” said that as if it’s a collective with only one take on every issue, we usually get a few different opinions. I really dislike absolute statements like the original post, they’re very unhelpful. It’s also a bit early to tell whether or not things have changed.

There's a difference between "Trump has a 'floor' of support that will never break" and "Trump is an unbeatable god who can never lose because his powerful base will never abandon him no matter what". The former is probably true; as he said in the campaign, a lot of Trump voters are so devoted that Trump could take a gun out to Pennsylvania Avenue and start shooting people in broad daylight, and his "floor" would say they deserved it. The latter is ridiculous, because even though that "floor" probably exists it's also pretty small and doesn't offer nearly as much support as he thinks it does.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

I’m looking forward to what she gets through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Even drug lords think the wall is dumb

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/12/us/drug-traffickers-el-chapo-trial-drugs-across-border/index.html