Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Pakled posted:

I hope the Trump administration discredits all the "I want a president who'll run the country like a business" types forever.

Well, Bush Jr didn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: Check The Stickied Charity Thread > USPOL Winter: The democrats are everywhere having fun and not even talking

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
"Everybody's out having fun in the snow without me :saddowns:!!!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everybody leaves the White House one at a time, until only Trump is left skulking around the residence, and then brick by brick an LTE-impenetrable Chernobyl-style sarcophagus is built over it

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Crow Jane posted:

He's finally buckling down and reading about the founding fathers.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Boy I can't wait until the debt ceiling comes back March 1st. Maybe the gov't will still be shut down

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Retro42 posted:

I haven’t seen it discussed here but has anyone brought up college loans and the shutdown? Personally my school is being pretty chill and just giving those who ask an extension to pay until the loans are processed. BUT, the catch there is that any disbursement of living expenses to students is delayed until then as well. Anyone else heard more details here?

My federal student loan went into my university account on January 4th, and I received disbursement of excess funds a few days later. Obviously there's variation here, but I haven't heard of anyone having trouble there yet.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Rex-Goliath posted:

Boy I can't wait until the debt ceiling comes back March 1st. Maybe the gov't will still be shut down

Probably will be later given about 1/4 the budget is currently not being spent.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Pander posted:

He's finally buckling down and reading about the founding fathers.

Posting to let you know I got and appreciate this reference.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Can't Trump order golf by executive order or something?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Katt posted:

Can't Trump order golf by executive order or something?

None of the staff help him air Declare National Emergency that allows him to Golf Indefinitely.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 13, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pakled posted:

I hope the Trump administration discredits all the "I want a president who'll run the country like a business" types forever.

My father used to be a huge proponent of the "businessman as President" thing and he has completely and totally shut the gently caress up about it since about a year and a half ago.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

And they say Millennials act like whiny, spoiled children.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1084228372811730944

jesus christ

As a result, U.S. officials said there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump’s face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years. Such a gap would be unusual in any presidency, let alone one that Russia sought to install through what U.S. intelligence agencies have described as an unprecedented campaign of election interference.

Beyond reasonable doubt.

Do these words mean anything to anyone? I feel they are important.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

CRUEL CHARLIE BROWN WON'T EVEN CONSIDER PLAYING FOOTBALL WITH ME

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Pony posted:

My father used to be a huge proponent of the "businessman as President" thing and he has completely and totally shut the gently caress up about it since about a year and a half ago.

Bring it up more in conversation. He won't learn until he's actually traumatized by it like right now. "MAN, LOOK AT HIM RUNNING THE COUNTRY LIKE ONE OF HIS FAILING BUSINESS VENTURES. AIN'T IT GREAT HE CAN JUST gently caress AROUND AND NO ONE WILL CARE? JUST LIKE A BUSINESS!"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I love how this thread went on and on form months about trump being an unbeatable god who could never lose because his powerful base would never abandon him no matter what. Then kinda just, meh, he turned out not to actually be special at all.

It's a hopeful sign. It'd be more hopeful if the other two polls posted slightly before that didn't show a majority of Republicans blame Congressional Dems or that more Republicans are in favor of the wall now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1084474165976018944 He still at it.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I love how this thread went on and on form months about trump being an unbeatable god who could never lose because his powerful base would never abandon him no matter what. Then kinda just, meh, he turned out not to actually be special at all.

This never happened and anyone willing to look at your posting history can watch in real time how you tried to hard to make it look like it was happening.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The man make a drat tweet.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The idea of bipartisanship is so broke brained. You can't negotiate with these people.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Everybody leaves the White House one at a time, until only Trump is left skulking around the residence, and then brick by brick an LTE-impenetrable Chernobyl-style sarcophagus is built over it

Despite all my rage I am trapped in a Faraday cage

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Someone's rattled his child cage

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

He’s just bitter because if he goes out to play in the snow with everyone else he’ll leave orange tracks everywhere.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I'm one of the 23% of Democrats who blame Democrats for the shutdown.

In related news, all 23% of us eat wallpaper paste out of a loving jar with our hands and have to be reminded to breathe every 30 seconds or so because we are mind-numbingly loving dumb and most of us will be eaten by ambush predators soon.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i feel like this all confirms reports that he's afraid to do the emergency declaration route

like his aides want him to do that, have it get enjoined by a court, and declare that he's done his best and will revisit it once the case finishes (which it won't before 2020)

but he's now decided that even that route would be a win for Democrats therefore he can't give it to them and must continue the shutdown indefinitely. which, ironically, is tremendously good for the democrats lol

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Well of course Republicans aren't gonna see it as their fault despite big daddy trump throwing tantrum after tantrum about his shutdown. gently caress'em, I hope they keep it going till those effected go to the capitol and start lining Republicans up against the walls

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crabtree posted:

Bring it up more in conversation. He won't learn until he's actually traumatized by it like right now. "MAN, LOOK AT HIM RUNNING THE COUNTRY LIKE ONE OF HIS FAILING BUSINESS VENTURES. AIN'T IT GREAT HE CAN JUST gently caress AROUND AND NO ONE WILL CARE? JUST LIKE A BUSINESS!"

You don't think I have?

He instantly changes the subject to the weather or something, it's great :v:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i feel skeptical about polls that don't seem to offer a 'don't know' or 'not sure' option on this issue, it seems like people that fall into that group are probably defaulting to "both sides are to blame" because that's a general idea about gridlock in politics most low-information voters have internalized

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

skylined! posted:

This never happened and anyone willing to look at your posting history can watch in real time how you tried to hard to make it look like it was happening.

Can't let the truth get in the way of smug-posting!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Mr.Tophat posted:

Beyond reasonable doubt.

Do these words mean anything to anyone? I feel they are important.

The five face-to-face meetings are normal, they were the type of the thing a president does at summits. None of these meetings were some type of secret meetings in the Seychelles: they were meetings at public meetings of international leaders that everyone knew about.

Their being no record of these, even in classified files, is the very unusual part. We don't know who was the source for this story, but it seems it has to be someone up at secretary/assistant secretary level in the state department, or a director or assistant director at an intelligence agency.

This is very unusual.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

President Deals is just yelling at people from the WH to come back to the bargaining table despite storming off like a 5 year old having a tantrum the last time

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So my question is where is the money being appropriated from to fund SNAP? I was under the assumption that shuffling funds from department to department and running everything on fumes was the only way there was money for anything, including SNAP and tax returns.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ok, I nearly choked from laughter at this

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Democrats are, in fact, in Washington right now, correct?

Also heartening to see those poll numbers despite the media both sidesing this as hard as they loving can

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KKKLIP ART posted:

So my question is where is the money being appropriated from to fund SNAP? I was under the assumption that shuffling funds from department to department and running everything on fumes was the only way there was money for anything, including SNAP and tax returns.

they had a provision in the previous appropriation that let them continue funding SNAP for 30 days after the CR expired, and they're using that to preemptively fund february (but states have to request it)

basically they're gaming the funding to try to delay the political crisis a little longer, but it doesn't seem like it's going to work great because the states that are most likely to not proactively request that money are the ones in the republican base

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Zero chance this isn’t some poorly thought out half measure.

Yep. As I have heard it they are paying Feburary a month ahead of time and telling people not to spend it as they won't get a normal February payment. So essentially, its an advance with the hopes that people don't realize they are missing a February payment if that makes any sense.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crow Jane posted:

Trump's like that kid that fakes being sick only to find out it's a snow day later so he has to stay inside

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

skylined! posted:

At least now that he finally won the argument no one was having with him it frees up more time for him to continue the half dozen other arguments no one is having with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'm one of the 23% of Democrats who blame Democrats for the shutdown.

In related news, all 23% of us eat wallpaper paste out of a loving jar with our hands and have to be reminded to breathe every 30 seconds or so because we are mind-numbingly loving dumb and most of us will be eaten by ambush predators soon.
We can finally put a percentage on the size of the blue dog caucus.