Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of generically American garbage foods can actually be pretty decent if made with better ingredients. Make some ranch with actual buttermilk and spices and it's not incredible or anything, but it is better and actually makes sense as a veggie dip. It's like the difference between a McRib and and actual BBQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

man people have some weird relationships with the internet and the strangers that lurk within it

Well that's uncomfortable

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CheesyDog posted:

A lot of generically American garbage foods can actually be pretty decent if made with better ingredients. Make some ranch with actual buttermilk and spices and it's not incredible or anything, but it is better and actually makes sense as a veggie dip. It's like the difference between a McRib and and actual BBQ.

Sir, I will not stand by idly while you bad mouth the McRib.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

So what? He said no, and offered to use his own suitcases. The girlfriend then went into full-on manipulative meltdown mode. It's actually very reasonable to say no in this situation, because the .0001% of the time that your girlfriend's family is using you as a drug mule, you spend the rest of your life in Indian prison. Why is it so important to you that the boyfriend be wrong in this situation?

Lol, this is a "reason" for that behavior in the same way that that leaving a dirty spoon in the sink is a "reason" for your spouse to stab you in the eyeballs while you're sleeping. It's completely disproportionate.

They bought him a bigger suitcase and asked if he could use that to bring some additional stuff, and he said no because he and his parents were worried about suitcase tampering. That's not only rejecting a nice gift but also stating that he and his family don't trust them. It's normal to react defensively, or maybe even angrily, when someone you trust suddenly says that they don't trust you.

Which part of this do you not understand?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

They bought him a bigger suitcase and asked if he could use that to bring some additional stuff, and he said no because he and his parents were worried about suitcase tampering. That's not only rejecting a nice gift but also stating that he and his family don't trust them. It's normal to react defensively, or maybe even angrily, when someone you trust suddenly says that they don't trust you.

Which part of this do you not understand?

He offered alternatives. He is not bound to accept a gift he doesn't want. She could have taken the suitcase. Which part of this do you not understand?

vv Pretty sure QuarkJets is a she, and it had everything to do with what she said. The entire "boyfriend is dumb" argument starts with the premise that it is somehow the default that you must do this favor for someone else's family, which is false. It also doesn't matter how tiny the risk is, because the consequences are potentially the end of your entire life. Pack the poo poo into her suitcase, and use his for clothes, or have her take the additional suitcase. Those are reasonable solutions.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 13, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

He offered alternatives. He is not bound to accept a gift he doesn't want. She could have taken the suitcase. Which part of this do you not understand?

That...that has no bearing on what he said.

Like you can offer alternatives all you want but if your whole position is based on comically dumb mistrust it doesn’t really matter.

The boyfriend is just dumb.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Looks like we've found it, "my family and I don't trust your family" being the only significant issue is apparently the part that you don't understand.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 13, 2019

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Looks like we've found it, "my family and I don't trust your family" being the only significant issue is apparently the part that you don't understand.

Sure. That's it. It's not the girlfriend having a meltdown and trying to guilt-slap her boyfriend into doing what she wants. The problem is that he won't carry mystery luggage across international borders for other people when there are plenty of alternatives that would also work.

Edit:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh my god your the worst.

Lol, that is exactly what happened. "I don't even want to go, now!" "OK." "What? You were supposed to talk me out of it!" *pouts for first week of international vacation*

Lol

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 13, 2019

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
The only alternative he offered was his small suitcase. One that wouldn't everything they wanted to send.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sure. That's it. It's not the girlfriend having a meltdown and trying to guilt-slap her boyfriend into doing what she wants. The problem is that he won't carry mystery luggage across international borders for other people when there are plenty of alternatives that would also work.

Oh my god your the worst.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like if you believe every time a SOs parent gives you gifts it’s appart of some drug trafficking scheme you have extreme issues way worse than some petty guilting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yes, that's exactly right. The girlfriend got mad at him because he and his family said that they don't trust her family. That's the issue.

They weren't asking him to transport mystery luggage, they gifted him a suitcase that he refused to use. His family was worried about luggage "tampering". Even the extra stuff in the bag is immaterial because he offered to bring it in his original bag, so he's actually worried about the suitcase itself being tampered with which is hosed up

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Admiral Ray posted:

wait, what? you put one sock on each testicle then your underpants over them. does no one here know how to loving dress themselves?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If he was invited over to dinner and said "don't worry about preparing any food for me, my parents told me to bring my own meal because they're worried that you'll try to poison me" would you still be talking about valid alternatives or would you say "oh that's a weird concern, of course they'd be mad at him for saying that"

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

The girlfriend reacted like a brat and the boyfriend is a tactless moron. He could have easily said "I don't want to deal with lugging around a huge suitcase on an international trip," and not made it weird (and possibly racist?). They deserve each other and this whole thing is stupid.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

:whitewater:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Yes. That is probably the face the teddy bear teste sock will be making when bumping up against the stretched sac.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

The girlfriend reacted like a brat and the boyfriend is a tactless moron. He could have easily said "I don't want to deal with lugging around a huge suitcase on an international trip," and not made it weird (and possibly racist?). They deserve each other and this whole thing is stupid.

Yeah that would have been the best response. It obviously wasn't his primary concern though so I'm glad that he aired out his and his family's trust issues now rather than later

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Flying sucks and pressuring someone into carrying your giant suitcase with god know what garbage you filled it with is inappropriate.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps his strong sense of civic duty compelled him to not abet their immoral attempt to dodge import/export taxes

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I am homeschooling my 10 year old son and he has been given a school attendance order. Unsure of law

quote:

Hello, my son is a very talented chess player. He is FIDE rated 2050 and one of the top young (and old) players in England.

His focus has been entirely on studying chess with his coach and is finding other "subjects" to be a distraction to his learning. He is playing and preparing for tournaments, he is receiving coaching by GMs and hopes to become one himself in the not so distant future. Chess is his life and I'm not a helicopter parent, he genuinely enjoys it.

However, our Council has felt like he is not receiving a proper education from home and has given us a school attendance order. We are both of the opinion that having him attend school would be a detrimental distraction to his learning. He is already more successful than any of the kids in the public school system will likely ever be (and anyone from our Council) and me, him and his coach believe it would be best for him to make himself a career in chess.

We have about 12 days left to register him to school and if we do not, then I will be taken to court and unless I can prove he is being given a proper education, I would be guilty of section 433 of the Education Act.

Can someone please give me more information on how these cases generally tend to go? We absolutely are giving him an education outside of chess, it's just not as intense as with chess where he studies roughly 8 hours a day.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Haifisch posted:

I am homeschooling my 10 year old son and he has been given a school attendance order. Unsure of law

I'm guessing the government gave him a very basic "Do you know basic math/reading" and he failed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CheesyDog posted:

Perhaps his strong sense of civic duty compelled him to not abet their immoral attempt to dodge import/export taxes

That wasn't it though because he offered to smuggle in their poo poo in his original, smaller bag. The whole thing is a concern over whether the family "tampered" with the gifted suitcase, I guess by stuffing drugs into the lining or some poo poo

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I wish someone would pack all these posts into some new luggage before the derail continues its month long trip into Europe

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Why is everyone acting like what the girlfriend's parents were asking for was a normal everyday request? "Hurf durf but what if your partner's parents offered to cook you dinner, would you think they were trying to poison you?" No, because that's a totally normal thing and demanding you carry mystery luggage across an international border isn't.

Frankly it'd be weirder if there weren't something sketchy going on. Why else would it have to be that specific case?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Some of y’all are insanely paranoid.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

the reason he should've said no is because who the gently caress wants to lug an enormous suitcase around a foreign country to carry extra boxes of tampons?

also the price of a suitcase is probably way more than the price of just mailing something

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

also the price of a suitcase is probably way more than the price of just mailing something

For international mailing/travel this is extremely not true. I get 2 checked bags free flying to Finland but sending a box will cost me $60 minimum. Even when I went to Costa Rica (which...doesn't count as international for reasons?) it was only $35 each way to check a bag.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 14, 2019

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Haifisch posted:

Wait. Is chess playing a really prolific career?

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Papa Emeritus III posted:

if you are extremely good you can get rich at it

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Papa Emeritus III posted:

Even if it is, a ten year old is not in the position to make the decision "this is what I want to do for the rest of my life," especially since it's clearly his parents' desires to have a prodigal chess genius son over anything else. Even if, theoretically, he really really did just want to play chess forever a lack of liberal arts education will massively gently caress up his ability to think critically and reasoning skills. He has zero chance of being an elite chess player as an adult with his present education, he's only beating his peers now because they're all still learning and developing.

You probably have to be 1 or 2 in the world for it to be a profitable career. That's incredibly small odds of success, it'd be less abusive of her to take him out of school for full time football (soccer) training.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

lol you don't have to be 1 or 2 in the world to make a career playing chess -- 1 and 2 make millions of dollars a year. there's lots of money for a grandmaster (~1,100) teaching chess, participating in tournaments, writing about chess, etc.

the issue is that a 10 year old is not in the position to decide this, and theres no guarantee the 10 year is ever going to be a GM

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

lol you don't have to be 1 or 2 in the world to make a career playing chess -- 1 and 2 make millions of dollars a year. there's lots of money for a grandmaster (~1,100) teaching chess, participating in tournaments, writing about chess, etc.

the issue is that a 10 year old is not in the position to decide this, and theres no guarantee the 10 year is ever going to be a GM

Depending on the source, at any given point there are between 480k-600k chess players in the world. 1,100 out of 480k making enough to live off of it is incredibly poo poo odds.

While there's half as many professional soccer players (not counting amateur, just paid pro players), in the US MLS players make $85-125k a year, and MLS is nowhere approaching the top level player and pay wise. It's basically the minor league.

They are both stupid and irresponsible things to push your kid into at the expense of a quality education, but chess is laughably delusional.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
Huh. Well, I learned a new thing today. I fail hard at chess, in all honesty. :smith:

Kid needs an education though. I feel bad for the little guy.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

these are NOT appropriate for ball socks. they are far too small. The average testicle has a volume of 2.21 liters plus or minus 0.2 liters. the primary reason for this volume is for coolant circulation so that bodies can maintain optimal temperature in a variety of climates. this is also the origin of ball hair, otherwise known as microwire radiators, though many opt to shave these down. the coolant itself is a mix of chemicals that many know of as urine and this knowledge has led to the popularization of the phrase "pee is stored in the balls".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Why is everyone acting like what the girlfriend's parents were asking for was a normal everyday request? "Hurf durf but what if your partner's parents offered to cook you dinner, would you think they were trying to poison you?" No, because that's a totally normal thing and demanding you carry mystery luggage across an international border isn't.

Frankly it'd be weirder if there weren't something sketchy going on. Why else would it have to be that specific case?

Because they didn't ask him to carry mystery luggage, they gifted him a new bigger suitcase and asked him to bring a few additional things. That's totally mundane, and he agreed to the latter part of the request but took issue with the gift.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah it should be mentioned he knew what they wanted transported but assumed the suitcase itself had secret compartments. Which is insane

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Ray posted:

these are NOT appropriate for ball socks. they are far too small. The average testicle has a volume of 2.21 liters plus or minus 0.2 liters. the primary reason for this volume is for coolant circulation so that bodies can maintain optimal temperature in a variety of climates. this is also the origin of ball hair, otherwise known as microwire radiators, though many opt to shave these down. the coolant itself is a mix of chemicals that many know of as urine and this knowledge has led to the popularization of the phrase "pee is stored in the balls".

Grabbing my boyfriend's balls: Are you holding out on me!?!?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

13Pandora13 posted:

For international mailing/travel this is extremely not true. I get 2 checked bags free flying to Finland but sending a box will cost me $60 minimum. Even when I went to Costa Rica (which...doesn't count as international for reasons?) it was only $35 each way to check a bag.

not the price of checking a bag, the price of literally buying a suitcase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

?

cumshitter posted:

Grabbing my boyfriend's balls: Are you holding out on me!?!?

Don't grab them to hard! You don't wanna make him pee his pants! :ohdear: