Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

doingitwrong posted:

I'm not up on Mary Worth lore, so I don't know how Ian and Toby got together. I note that she's much younger than him so it could be that she's worried that whatever happened between her and him will happen between him and someone else. Did she start up an affair with him? That would give the story a little more grounding, though if that's the case maybe somewhere in the 14 or so strips leading to this moment she could have mentioned that worry explicitly.

I've never really followed Mary Worth, but something sticks in my mind that there was a very-long-ago storyline in which Ian and Toby both lived at Mary's apartment complex and were dating but weren't married, and one or both was concerned about whether they could make the May-December thing work. FWIW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Arbetor posted:

This has been bugging me since I saw this in the paper this morning. Any other creator and I would assume the symbols are random, but I know Bill Amend would have a valid substitution. So, it's 25 into 650 equals 26. Round cell is 0, splat is 1, oval blob is 2, rectangle is 5, and the one with cilia is 6.

I also had a few teachers in high school that would have given credit for this.
I figured there was a legit substitution but I only got as far as the 0s and then got lost. Thanks for this!

As far as Ian and Toby in Mary Worth, they apparently have been married since they were introduced to the strip.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Is that a human child in Kevin and Kell? Is that allowed? Red stripey shirt, blonde hair, mischievous attitude, he's not supposed to be Calvin, is he?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Jamal

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i don't think there's ever been a bad barbershop curtis

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Holy poo poo Jamal is so good

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Coming in way too late but...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Is that a human child in Kevin and Kell? Is that allowed?
See, at one point a rabbit character switched places or something with their human counterpart in "our" world. The portal turned her into a rabbit, but her child turnedo ut to be a human.

His Human superpower, as seen here, is Tool Use.

Why yes, this is a civilization with buildings and cars and the internet and poo poo why do you ask? No I don't see how that's relevant to the human kid's Special Racial Power of Tool Use.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Tambaloneus posted:

Coming in way too late but...

No, your timing’s perfect and so is this.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i hate to say it, but nancy's kind of losing me lately. i know sluggo is lit, and i'm glad for it, but i don't get the same... zing? out of it that i did when olivia just started. i don't think it's a loss of novelty, either.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i hate to say it, but nancy's kind of losing me lately. i know sluggo is lit, and i'm glad for it, but i don't get the same... zing? out of it that i did when olivia just started. i don't think it's a loss of novelty, either.

Are there any comics that can be a home run every day of the week?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

yeah, true that

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Andy Capp

December 4, 1957

"Fibber! Seein' as I'm sat 'ere mendin' the tea-towel, what would yer DRY 'em with!"

(andy noooooooooo)

Heathcliff Old and New

Ballard Street

October 21, 2002 + no sundays

Outbursts of Everett True

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Are there any comics that can be a home run every day of the week?

Arlo and Janis. And Modesty Blaise.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mary Worthless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy659O44VZ8

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Here Rests In
Mangled Glory
An American Pest
Known But To God

Never scored

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set works the system.

Working Daze is probably not a coincidence.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is entrenched in symbolism.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

The artwork on this Bizarro is downright lush.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

No, your timing’s perfect and so is this.

I love this lil' prompt of mine and I am going to run it into the ground.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

You always hear about how "ooooh! SNL! It's live! Anything could happen!" But Carol Burnett was where to go if you want to see a sketch fall completely to poo poo and they just roll with it.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Review of the first ten minutes of Modesty Blaise (1966):

- theme tune not by Sparks
- comedy slide whistle deployed almost immediately
- weird mental breakdown with ticker tape machine

+ Good accent
+ "We've already checked on your Willy" delivered with complete sincerity

edit: wow that is a bonkers movie 9/10

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 14, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Duplicated pages? No, I don't know anything about that - I would never make such a mistake! (Please check my last post to see the now-updated pics, and thanks everyone for pointing it out, also for the words of support!)

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto chooses the worse time to flirt, or Shanghai Lil does not gently caress around, or Uh... whoops

Well, getting the gold can't be that hard! All you need is a group of trained marine engineers. To mid-winter Siberia... during the Russian civil war... Yes, this could be a bit problematic. See how this square will be circled next time, in...

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Thanks for the exposition, Your Majesty!

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Huxley posted:

Once you have this pointed out, you start to notice how many kids books get it wrong and it will drive you crazy.

At least they get letters and fix it in the sequel.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 22, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 22, 1997)

:confused:

Garfield Classic (June 22, 1987)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think there's a running gag that Arlo is extremely paranoid about sun exposure or something. We just haven't seen much of it yet.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've been wondering for a while why Dustin keeps going to whatever this place is. If it were Australia I'd assume it was a mandatory job network meeting but presumably that's not a thing in America. Is he paying her? What is the supposed purpose of these meetings? Does he have to keep showing up for some reason? Neither of them ever seems to get any value from it.

I'm not sure how old Elizabeth is supposed to be at this point, but clearly way too young to be cooking unsupervised.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
At this point, I don't think I'd respect temp lady either.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (September 1, 1931)

Peanuts (January 17, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 2-3, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 9, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (April 16-18, 1923)

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Sam's Strip

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/20-21/88

Tarzan:Trouble at the old mill beyond your estate

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Edge of Foreshadowing

... as well as just plain shadowing. Is she wearing black knee-high socks in the first panel?

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 22, 1997)

:confused:

I think number 2 refers to SPF 2 tanning oil. The running joke is that Janis wants a tan and Arlo is concerned about skin cancer.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

computer angel posted:

I think number 2 refers to SPF 2 tanning oil. The running joke is that Janis wants a tan and Arlo is concerned about skin cancer.

Nah, No. 2 probably refers to Chanel No. 2 perfume.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

BigDave posted:

Maybe? I dont understand how that's as funny...or how it makes sense. Plus they already did a strip about Janis' desire to tan. Spf 2 is pretty common tanning oil on Amazon.

computer angel fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 14, 2019

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

BigDave posted:

There is no Chanel No. 2, and the last thing that could have been called such ceased production in 1947. Pretty sure it's an SPF joke.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The joke might work a little better if you actually showed the mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery