Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm still cautiously optimistic about it, but when I read it that it's competing with the Zoe I get a bit worried. I like the Zoe but it's impossible to justify such an expensive car for how utterly poor the interior quality and NVH is. Also way too slow... and the battery costs like $80 / month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm still cautiously optimistic about it, but when I read it that it's competing with the Zoe I get a bit worried. I like the Zoe but it's impossible to justify such an expensive car for how utterly poor the interior quality and NVH is. Also way too slow... and the battery costs like $80 / month.

You pay extra for the loving battery??

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

HI BRADY

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Honda's EV Concept was shown at 2017's Geneva show and looked cool if slightly featureless.

Goddamnit, what is it that was printed on the cluster Dave got for his late 70s/early 80s Civic?

Hi <somebody>

Because that's what's popping to mind now.

e: THANK YOU

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 14, 2019

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

STR posted:

Goddamnit, what is it that was printed on the cluster Dave got for his late 70s/early 80s Civic?

Hi <somebody>

Because that's what's popping to mind now.

Hi Brady

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There are a couple of EVs which offload the battery price to a monthly lease, so at first glance the car doesn't appear that much more expensive than a combustion engine (and you don't have to explain the customer why the car is so expensive in regard to what you might save (depending on country, having access to photovoltaik etc. pp.).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So wait... what happens if you default on the battery payment?

Do they swing by and repossess the battery?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tuo posted:

There are a couple of EVs which offload the battery price to a monthly lease, so at first glance the car doesn't appear that much more expensive than a combustion engine (and you don't have to explain the customer why the car is so expensive in regard to what you might save (depending on country, having access to photovoltaik etc. pp.).

That wouldn't be so bad if the thing wasn't already at least £7k more than the equivalent small car.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Another EV that will look like poo poo. It's almost as if the industry is trying to make them fail.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

STR posted:

So wait... what happens if you default on the battery payment?

Do they swing by and repossess the battery?

quote:

14.1.4 if you have failed to return the Battery, a sum equal to its Insured Value at the date of the Termination Event. “Insured Value” means the amount (indicated as such in the Schedule) being an amount to offset any financial loss suffered by us in the case of damage or total loss of the Battery. The Insured Value will reduce by 10% each calendar year, reduction beginning at the start of the 13th month of this Hire Agreement;

Probably come round and seize the entire car if you don't pay up the EUR4k to buy out the battery lease.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No. 6 posted:

Another EV that will look like poo poo. It's almost as if the industry is trying to make them fail.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Funny, lightly crash damaged Zoe's with the batteries removed go for next to nothing on eBay, I've wondered how difficult making your own pack would be, my conclusion was I can't be arsed to even do the math.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Funny, lightly crash damaged Zoe's with the batteries removed go for next to nothing on eBay, I've wondered how difficult making your own pack would be, my conclusion was I can't be arsed to even do the math.

Just buy a generator and run it in the trunk!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That wouldn't be so bad if the thing wasn't already at least £7k more than the equivalent small car.

Mind you, I'm not trying to defend the Leaf.

I (or test driving my car) made my parents buy an i3, and apart from them loving it to death (it's so fun to drive if you are not going for highway speed records), after two years of having it (fueled by a photovoltaik system), we calculated that in about two years time, they brake even with what it cost more than a comparable 2series (which is less fun to drive...I mean the mini-van one, not the coupe/convertible). And BMW doesn't lease the battery to you, but sell it for quite some money (but you can even upgrade it if a bigger one comes around, though that costs stupid amounts of money, because BMW gives you nothing but spare change for the old one).

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

dissss posted:

There is a narrow body 3rd gen too. Tax brackets make for some weird cars.

I don’t think that many of the narrow bodies were sold.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
That being said the 3rd Gen Supra is far and away the best looking one. In particular, the restyled ones with the full width taillights.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Ripoff posted:

I agree 100%; the car rags drool over sports cars and give loads of good press, but I hardly doubt that the investment is ever worth it. The GT86/BRZ is also a cautionary tale for what sports car drivers want versus what actually sells. I barely see them on the roads which is weird as hell considering it was the “it car” for magazines back in the day, not unlike what we’re seeing with the Supra now. After googling a bit for the sales figures, it looks like the FR-Z moved about 18,327 units in the US in 2013 but it has now dropped to 4,133 units in 2018. Though we may be able to blame that on Subaru and Toyota staunchly refusing to give it more power in an effort to keep it from eating WRX sales.

So yeah, at least in America, you walk into the dealership excited about a sports car and walk out with a lovely lifted hatchback that grinds the door handles around corners, gets 20mpg on your commute and does pretty much nothing well. :v:

I bought a Toyota 86 GT. It’s basically a updated version of the 240SX I also own. It’s fine.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Frond posted:

That being said the 3rd Gen Supra is far and away the best looking one. In particular, the restyled ones with the full width taillights.

Early model is the best front, the facelift bumper looks poo poo:

Rear lights I'm unsure about, I wanted a set of the JDM ones at one point but now I'm 50/50

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The pre restyle cars still look really good don’t get me wrong.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

From the research I did on EVs a while back, it seems like battery controllers cost as much as the battery pack in raw materials, so as long as the controller is still in it you just gotta bulk order a pallet of 18650s from IMR or strip a fuckload of dead laptop batteries.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

Also Toyota doesn't have sporty motors anymore, at least in the US.

so you're saying we'll have to overnight parts from japan

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

IMO that's not even the whole story. The interior is way, way below an equivalently priced car. I've previously made the comparison of a brand new 2018 Golf GT R-line and a 2018 Zoe Bose package (only acceptable trim level in my opinion). A rough conversion of cost (from my country's prices) is $26k for the Golf (what a friend paid) vs $40k (what I was quoted to pay) for the Zoe. The Golf is faster, more comfortable, much, much better interior, better NVH at speeds above 40-50km/h etc. It takes a looong time to use $14k worth of gas and maintenance as well. Tax difference is negligible.
It does look nice and is fun at city speeds. I wonder how long that novelty lasts though as it's not much fun outside city speeds.

Interesting.... Take the drivetrain components, sell of the other crap and do EV conversion of classic car... I'm off to eBay!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You can buy the car without a battery, but it's like $8-10k more (in my country). No one does this. Most people lease the car and the battery cost is included. It's not that bad, but the problem is the used cars where you still have to shell out for the battery lease. The positive side is that you "always have a good battery" according to Renault. They only replace it at a certain percent loss of total battery capacity (which I can't find now, but it's a fair bit down). The cost of lease is also tied to mileage. In U.K it's £110 a month for unlimited mileage.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Where I live you would easily save more than those 7k by going electric over ice

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Supra: I'm disappointed that it's just another BMW.

Honda EV: God dammit. At least they kept the side cameras/no mirrors?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i get that its the easiest way to put a straight 6 in there but also so terribly German. i'm sure Toyota will make a shitton of money no matter what they do, even if sales are as bad as everyone is assuming.

and BMW is cool but between them an Toyota it is apples and oranges. Toyota is probably so focused on being the first car company to have a full lineup of electric cars that they don't even give a poo poo about this thing.

at least with the 86 it has a toyota body with whatever subaru engine they stuffed in there. i don't see any reason not to just buy a BMW if you want one that bad. i'm going to guess whatever the modern version of a Z4 is costs nearly the same and there is little chance of BMW one looking worse

it seems pretty insane to me to take your flagship car and give credit to someone else when your current customers grew up during your golden era of fun sportscars. but at the end of it all whatever Toyota does they're going to do it because its going to make them the most money and i guess that's all that really matters.

tbh was never even a huge fan of the thing anyway. and weirdly enough even Nissan switched to V6 for the modern GTRs which is where i imagined Toyota would have looked for as a current day standar. guess that Skylines finally won the war even though Nissan is in shambles and the GTR hasn't been significantly updated in years :laugh:

Frond posted:

I bought a Toyota 86 GT. It’s basically a updated version of the 240SX I also own. It’s fine.

yeah it owns. idk how those sales numbers they posted stack up with other fun/cheap cars but op probably doesn't live in a city because there are several of these. at least one every few blocks or so in my city in practically every neighborhood where parking is hard to find. if you can't find one there will almost certainly be be a wrx. there's more older miatas still kicking around than any of them though

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Thief posted:

yeah it owns. idk how those sales numbers they posted stack up with other fun/cheap cars but op probably doesn't live in a city because there are several of these. at least one every few blocks or so in my city in practically every neighborhood where parking is hard to find. if you can't find one there will almost certainly be be a wrx. there's more older miatas still kicking around than any of them though

Just going by my parking garage at work, which is full of electrical engineers, there's probably at least 2 FRS/BRZs parked on each floor of the garage. They seem pretty popular, or at least they were when the car came out a few years ago.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
a niche car for enthusiasts doesnt make numbers for an auto company though unless you have that specific brand.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i've literally only ever seen one single Z4 M irl and it was my old boss who bought it with a droptop to be different because everyone that can afford a clean one is in a sedan

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Worst part about the new Supra is how completely it's taken over reddit's ads. THAT is their target market? :stare:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Honda's EV Concept was shown at 2017's Geneva show and looked cool if slightly featureless.

Spy shots of the pre-production one have been posted and it looks nothing like it, they've ruined everything that was good about the styling. A, B, C pillars changed, 4 doors instead of two, lumpy bumpers instead of nice smooth ones, complete lack of wide arches...

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/n...fR7zi9qDqZS4Fp8

Of course the A and B pillars changed. There was no way the ones on the concept could fit side airbags. But I don't understand why it lost the flares around the wells, or turned from :I to some pursed-lipped old lady. Did they think it was too aggressive? I just don't get it.

Speaking of things I don't get:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Early model is the best front, the facelift bumper looks poo poo:

Rear lights I'm unsure about, I wanted a set of the JDM ones at one point but now I'm 50/50

I'm going to be honest: I don't get Supra fans. Every version looks like a boring 80s car to me.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Thief posted:

Atlanta though I’m not exactly close to midtown (still within the confines of the city though from a postal code standpoint), and oddly enough the most common sports cars around here seem to be Infiniti G’s. :shrug:

I loved the hell out of the BR-Z I sat in one day, reminded me so much of the old 280Z, but at that point I was hauling poo poo across states to visit family so I ended up with an MS3. Nothing wrong with the cars themselves, it’s just a bummer how few of them I see.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

xzzy posted:

Worst part about the new Supra is how completely it's taken over reddit's ads. THAT is their target market? :stare:

Highly paid single tech nerds with lots of disposable income and no sense of taste or style? Sounds about dead on.

(yeah yeah I know reddit is huge now, but that was its original demographic)

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
can we change the title to Post terrible car stuff in this thread: TOYOTA.

Frond posted:

the 240sx is a fitting comparison because its a neutered s chassis and not a real car anyway

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol nissan has reached such levels of absurdity that i don't know if they are the worst or the best thing ever

Ripoff posted:

the most common sports cars around here seem to be Infiniti G’s

these are becoming cheap enough that the altima/accord fanbois are finally buying them up and driving them into oblivion. i would totally buy one if i didn't hate the headlights. probably can find cheaper than a 350z

also Zs in general are weirdly popular. the people that actually mod them tend to do it pretty lowkey compared to other fanbases

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I’m keeping an eye on 350’s here, prices are getting low and I’d love to update to another nissan that has bulk parts available and try the n/a drift life in something bigger than a 4cyl

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

tuo posted:

Mind you, I'm not trying to defend the Leaf.

I (or test driving my car) made my parents buy an i3, and apart from them loving it to death (it's so fun to drive if you are not going for highway speed records), after two years of having it (fueled by a photovoltaik system), we calculated that in about two years time, they brake even with what it cost more than a comparable 2series (which is less fun to drive...I mean the mini-van one, not the coupe/convertible). And BMW doesn't lease the battery to you, but sell it for quite some money (but you can even upgrade it if a bigger one comes around, though that costs stupid amounts of money, because BMW gives you nothing but spare change for the old one).

BMW quietly shelved the battery upgrade program because only six people worldwide ever asked to do it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

drgitlin posted:

BMW quietly shelved the battery upgrade program because only six people worldwide ever asked to do it.

They did? :lol:

It wasn't useful anyway. I can't think of any situation where someone who was willing to spend the amount of money on the larger battery wouldn't have simply sold his current i3 and picked up a new one with the larger battery.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thief posted:

Toyota is probably so focused on being the first car company to have a full lineup of electric cars that they don't even give a poo poo about this thing.

You mean hybrid right?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tuo posted:

They did? :lol:

It wasn't useful anyway. I can't think of any situation where someone who was willing to spend the amount of money on the larger battery wouldn't have simply sold his current i3 and picked up a new one with the larger battery.

What if you just got the seat exactly where you like it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

You'll have to pry my ICE from my cold dead hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Colostomy Bag posted:

You'll have to pry my ICE from my cold dead hands.

Mr. Cool ICE