Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That boss theme was so good they reused it in Tales of Xillia 2 for literally no reason. Like not in a Vesperia reference battle. It's literally just a boss theme in Xillia 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Every time I read about Sakuraba and Tales it reminds me of years ago when I first played Baten Kaitos and fell in love with Sakuraba. Back then I was involved in a chat about him and somebody said there are some good Tales songs but he just doesn't try most of the time. I remembered they linked to a Tales song and a metal cover of it but I could not for the life of me remember what song or who did the cover. I just now was so frustrated I looked up a long list of Tales battle themes and finally found not only the song but its cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj90Vcq2Kic

I think the person I had the chat with back then also claimed this song, the original, wasn't even done by Sakuraba. Wiki says a few different people did compositions for Tales of Phantasia so I have no idea.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

NikkolasKing posted:

I think the person I had the chat with back then also claimed this song, the original, wasn't even done by Sakuraba. Wiki says a few different people did compositions for Tales of Phantasia so I have no idea.

So a handy tip if you're ever in a situation like this: check VGMdb - if there was ever an official soundtrack, every single bit of data in the liner notes is transcribed there. Given the credits on this album, it could only be Sakuraba or Shinji Tamura on that track. Inclined to say it's Sakuraba since one of the other albums that uses it only credits Sakuraba, no mention of Tamura in the special thanks.

edit: But then I look elsewhere on the site and I see Tamura credited for that track in the notes over here. Huh.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
It will never not make me go :psyduck: that the same guy composed both this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CugyaQzmx8

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tuWvGee4T0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's probably one of those early gamedev cases where even if you asked both of them they wouldn't be sure which one of them composed it. Tales of Phantasia's development was a bit of a pile-up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Golden Battler posted:

It will never not make me go :psyduck: that the same guy composed both this:

Did you ever play Baten Kaitos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XARPxxfAeUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B64f48ewdo

If you have not, I wholeheartedly recommend it. It's a tragically forgotten gem from the GameCube. I know some people don't like it so much for whatever reason but I have yet to hear anyone say a bad word about the OST. And I personally would say it's one of the best JRPG soundtracks I've ever heard.

I hear the sequel is even better but I never played that one. I should get around to it someday.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 14, 2019

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I think Sakuraba is just, not as good as his peers, his soundtracks have way fewer memorable tunes than like any odd squenix or falcom or atlus or xenoblade or atelier soundtrack etc. i do like the character themes in Berseria though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

vesperia still has a banging soundtrack imo

some of his vesperia songs sound like stuff he'd compose for star ocean and it owns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tales of Woe posted:

I think Sakuraba is just, not as good as his peers, his soundtracks have way fewer memorable tunes than like any odd squenix or falcom or atlus or xenoblade or atelier soundtrack etc. i do like the character themes in Berseria though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTQ7HnRut64

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo I totally forgot about this.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah i was also surprised to learn that Mitsuda did Mario Party 1 though going back and listening to the tunes it's obvious

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Yeah iirc he worked with some Camelot stuff for a while so it makes sense he was brought on for the sports games they did for Nintendo

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Dark Souls series is some of Sakuraba's best work and there's still only 3 or 4 memorable songs per game with the rest of the soundtrack being samey overblown orchestral boss music. He seems to have a really high miss rate.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

He basically worked with Wolf Team from the beginning, and also Camelot back when Wolf Teams sound director went to work for them, and has ended up working for nearly every permutation those companies have had.

I'd say if anything Tales soundtracks are just from fatigue since the man usually does like six plus dang soundtracks a year.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i dunno how many people are on falcom or gust's music teams but they do 1-2 full rpg soundtracks each year at imo a much higher level of quality.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

WrightOfWay posted:

The Dark Souls series is some of Sakuraba's best work and there's still only 3 or 4 memorable songs per game with the rest of the soundtrack being samey overblown orchestral boss music. He seems to have a really high miss rate.

Sakuraba only composed the music for the first souls game I'm pretty sure

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WrightOfWay posted:

The boss music are the best bits

voltcatfish posted:

Sakuraba only composed the music for the first souls game I'm pretty sure

DS1 was the only only one he did solo but he contributed to all three

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5mBC4f264

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Did you ever play Baten Kaitos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XARPxxfAeUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B64f48ewdo

If you have not, I wholeheartedly recommend it. It's a tragically forgotten gem from the GameCube. I know some people don't like it so much for whatever reason but I have yet to hear anyone say a bad word about the OST. And I personally would say it's one of the best JRPG soundtracks I've ever heard.

I hear the sequel is even better but I never played that one. I should get around to it someday.

baten kaitos is rad as heck

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Looper posted:

baten kaitos is rad as heck

Glad to see other fans here. I really want to replay it but I know I should play the sequel first instead of playing the exact same game again. I didn't like the changes to the battle system when I started up the sequel right after completing BK1 but that wouldn't bother me now all these years later.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I posted this in the Tales thread but the Giganto theme owns hard. No wonder they keep reusing it.

I think a problem with Tales music maybe is they go for quantity over quality when it comes to music. Every dungeon, town, city, etc has its own song and the soundtrack becomes kind of bloated as a result. Hell, when it comes to battle themes, there’s at least one regular battle theme for each act but in practice there’s usually a lot more. Xillia has six regular battle themes and I can’t remember a single one of them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sakurazuka posted:

13 is so much better than 12

13 is a bad game.
I'm not going to say I hate it but anything that requires you to read the codex entries to have any understanding of the story at all is bad.

Plus it had too much Anime Introspection which is always boring to me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CYBEReris posted:

Yeah iirc he worked with some Camelot stuff for a while so it makes sense he was brought on for the sports games they did for Nintendo

He did Golden Sun and the music is no exception to the presentation in that game being phenomenal (despite it's well documented other flaws)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Taear posted:

13 is a bad game.
I'm not going to say I hate it but anything that requires you to read the codex entries to have any understanding of the story at all is bad.

Plus it had too much Anime Introspection which is always boring to me.

What's the difference between anime introspection and normal introspection

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

What's the difference between anime introspection and normal introspection

You don't tend to get it in things outside of anime. Reams and reams of inside the characters head going over every different decision they've made.
You see it in books but not in TV unless it's anime.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Taear posted:

You don't tend to get it in things outside of anime. Reams and reams of inside the characters head going over every different decision they've made.

Lmao ok sure thing bro

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Taear posted:

Since books are good I can only conclude that this means anime is good too.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

He did Golden Sun and the music is no exception to the presentation in that game being phenomenal (despite it's well documented other flaws)

man i just remembered some of the summons and weapon unleashes in those games, those prerendered particles did so much for how cinematic they felt

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's always fun to think which other Sakuraba songs would fit in Mario Tennis and where

This would be a match point song:

Amppelix posted:

I actually remember how a lot of the song
This boss theme slaps so hard I'm not even sure if it's him. It seems kind of off-brand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIJfgxcOh1E

I would probably say this would be used as the regular match theme.

ROFL Octopus posted:

I posted this in the Tales thread but the Giganto theme owns hard. No wonder they keep reusing it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm not saying anime is bad, it just happens in anime shitloads.
I don't see what the problem with that is, stop getting so defensive about it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Taear posted:

ahh veronica mars

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I love the anime Breaking Bad

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
*inner monologue of Taear*

Little did I known something was about to happen that would shatter my world view. I was in a video rental store on main-street, one of the last of their kind, when I found my self looking at a genre of films I never heard of before. I picked up a box and whisper to myself, "Film noir, huh?" It was then I heard the click clack of heels behind me. I spun around my trigger finger itchy. The dame had legs that went all the way down to the floor, she lean over and whispered in my ear, "they all talk in their head in these."

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

love that OG anime, The Prisoner

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

*inner monologue of Taear*

Little did I known something was about to happen that would shatter my world view. I was in a video rental store on main-street, one of the last of their kind, when I found my self looking at a genre of films I never heard of before. I picked up a box and whisper to myself, "Film noir, huh?" It was then I heard the click clack of heels behind me. I spun around my trigger finger itchy. The dame had legs that went all the way down to the floor, she lean over and whispered in my ear, "they all talk in their head in these."

A film noir narration (or any narration) is absolutely not the same and doesn't work the same way as going to the heads of many characters and hearing their internal monologue.
But whatever, sure.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Taear posted:

A film noir narration (or any narration) is absolutely not the same and doesn't work the same way as going to the heads of many characters and hearing their internal monologue.
But whatever, sure.

there are multiple movies with multiple internal monologues and you seem to be implying that narration can't be internal monologue... which it can lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i feel like more stories could use some good introspection

imagine dad of boy if you could hear kratos' thoughts

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
13 ended up with a pretty okay story but 13-2 ruins it retroactively so

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

i feel like more stories could use some good introspection

imagine dad of boy if you could hear kratos' thoughts

That would just make it worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Taear posted:

But whatever, sure.

You, uh, haven't seen a lot of noir huh