Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I had no idea. Does this extend in general to what you can get in salvage? Like pirates in Davion space will tend to have Davion variants? Or would I have to fight Davion forces?
Yeah, it's specifically model number differences. The only enemies in the game that use non-standard loadouts are scripted ones, but in game any 'Mech can show up in any force. Possibly excepting the Cataphract, which I've only ever seen the Capellans field?

The SHD-2H Shadow Hawk is the base form, the SHD-2D Shadow Hawk with the extra missile hardpoint is the Davion variant, for example, but any nation could field one if they captured it. House Davion is just the only one commonly making (or refitting) their Shadow Hawks to that spec. Since the specs are pretty well-known, anyone with enough time and a proper repair bay could refit a -2H to a -2D without too much trouble.

It's a pity more variants aren't in the game, to be honest. More 'Mech variants helps spread out the salvage a little without needing to jack it up the amount needed to build a chassis. Plus, the Steiner-variant BNC-3S Banshee (not in the game, sadly) is exceptionally good.

Wrr posted:

Since they added the blackmarket as a component of the store instead of a separate thing I end up not being able to access it.
We may be criminals, but we're Capellan criminals! :china:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I've seen a bunch of Cataphracts but also I spend all my time kicking the poo poo out of the Capellans, as you may have inferred.

They whined to the MRB and we had a big sit down meeting where I proved that it was all 'just business'.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally got a Cyclops Z! I slapped an ac5+++ and 2 LRM15s in it, so it's only slightly weaker than my lovely orion lrm boat. My Banshee is going to rip throats out once again!

quote:

We may be criminals, but we're Capellan criminals!

But at the end of the day, aren't we all just united in our lust for war crimes?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I did the same thing with my cyclops and called it Zod; for all shall kneel before Zod

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I finally got a Cyclops Z! I slapped an ac5+++ and 2 LRM15s in it, so it's only slightly weaker than my lovely orion lrm boat. My Banshee is going to rip throats out once again!

What do you think about the ranged build? I'm using an AC/20++ and a pair of +10 damage ML++ on mine, but there are a lot of times where I waste a turn or two getting into position to shoot. It's starting to feel a bit undergunned now that 3/4 of the mechs I run into are assaults, but I don't really know what to swap it with.

It was absolutely incredible when it was my only assault though. For awhile I was running the Cyclops-Z and 3 Shadowhawks. Once I got my pilots leveled up to getting the Master Tactician perk, having my Shadowhawks go in phase 5 was hilarious. The poor lights and mediums I was running into had no idea what the hell hit them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, it's specifically model number differences. The only enemies in the game that use non-standard loadouts are scripted ones, but in game any 'Mech can show up in any force. Possibly excepting the Cataphract, which I've only ever seen the Capellans field?

any mech can show up in any force, there are no ties to faction in the mission jsons that pick mechs.

Some mechs are rare or common due to their "lance" tags -- ex the Kintaro is an assassin type, so it will only ever show up in missions calling for a medium assassin mech. the Shadowhawk 2H OTOH has assassin, tank, and vanguard so it can show up almost anywhere.

Cataphract is a tank type, the most generic / commonly used role in missions. But it only has 1 variant so that also makes it appear more rare, compared to the ones with more variants.

quote:

It's a pity more variants aren't in the game, to be honest. More 'Mech variants helps spread out the salvage a little without needing to jack it up the amount needed to build a chassis.

I would like more variants, but not with the current salvage system. Bumping the number of salvage required is good because it makes capture cheese less of a thing, versus more variants to spread salvage out is just upping the RNG factor.

I kinda hope HBS redoes salvage in one of the DLC packs. What the game shipped with was fine for the base game, but pretty limiting going forward. At the very least, crib whichever mod bit in company commander that allows variants to be combined for assembling whole mechs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

binge crotching posted:

What do you think about the ranged build? I'm using an AC/20++ and a pair of +10 damage ML++ on mine, but there are a lot of times where I waste a turn or two getting into position to shoot. It's starting to feel a bit undergunned now that 3/4 of the mechs I run into are assaults, but I don't really know what to swap it with.

It was absolutely incredible when it was my only assault though. For awhile I was running the Cyclops-Z and 3 Shadowhawks. Once I got my pilots leveled up to getting the Master Tactician perk, having my Shadowhawks go in phase 5 was hilarious. The poor lights and mediums I was running into had no idea what the hell hit them.

It's no powerhouse, but with the LRMs it's constantly pounding something. While I usually immediately slap an AC20 on anything that can handle it with how rare and fragile it seems like it'd make the Cyclops I didn't want to try this time. It's also useful for base missions for knocking out turrets. Like you say the battle computer is the star of the show, anything else is just icing; and since it's replacing something with essentially the same (admittedly improvised) loadout anyway, it's a win/win for me. I've got it, a Banshee, a couple Orions, a couple Thunderbolts, both Catapult types, and a Cataphract (really glad I gave this a shot, it carried the lance on its back while everything else was in the shop). I have a few mediums here and there for Flashpoint restrictions but mostly they're eating my budget. I'd say I'm good for 4 skull flashpoints but seriously, waves of demolishers and trebuchets and catapults are just shredding me. Only one death and one mech death though.

I saw a target acquisition mission finally, but it was three star and all my lights were stowed so I got to ignore it. Oh well :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 14, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Klyith posted:

I kinda hope HBS redoes salvage in one of the DLC packs. What the game shipped with was fine for the base game, but pretty limiting going forward. At the very least, crib whichever mod bit in company commander that allows variants to be combined for assembling whole mechs.

With the Marauder potentially adding 4 variants by itself, my salvage wish would be de-coupling the salvage from the 'Mech model. So 3 (or however many you bump it up to) Thunderbolt parts and you get to pick which model you build. Either that, or a method to burn a salvage to convert a 'Mech to a different variant.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

With the Marauder potentially adding 4 variants by itself, my salvage wish would be de-coupling the salvage from the 'Mech model. So 3 (or however many you bump it up to) Thunderbolt parts and you get to pick which model you build. Either that, or a method to burn a salvage to convert a 'Mech to a different variant.

Yea, it'd be cool if they'd do something like:

3 parts of the same mech vairant = 1 full mech of that mech variant

5 of any parts of a particular mech = 1 full mech of any of the variants that match at least 1 part

7 of any parts of a particular mech = 1 full mech of any possible variant of that mech in the game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In two missions I just took another nine headshots and had another mech head punched off. I guess this is the game politely telling me to give up on the 4 and 5 skull flashpoints, I will never have mechwarriors to do it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 14, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

PoptartsNinja posted:

Common everywhere but Marik space, where they were virtually Lostech. There's a reason most BattleMechs with a -M Marik variant swap out PPCs for Large Lasers until their alliance with the Draconis Combine in the 3030 let them buy some of the Combine's overstock.

PPCs are interesting because the Draconis Combine definitely has the most and the best (which is why they were able to slap two on a Catapult to make the -K2) while the nations furthest from the Combine (the FWL and CapCon) have the fewest.

Edit: Every nation has weird preferences for their standardized "custom" 'Mech modifications.
- House Kurita -K variants usually strip weapons to add armor or heat sinks or jump jets
- House Davion -D variants usually strip armor to add weapons and/or jump jets
- House Steiner -S variants tends to drop speed and/or armor to add more guns and then strip small guns to add more big guns (and then strip more anything to add more Gauss Rifles)
- House Marik's -M variants swap every PPC they can for large lasers so they'll have enough PPCs to keep building Awesomes
- House Liao's -L variants swap whatever the gently caress they feel they need to at a given moment to better counter House Davion slapping an extra SRM-2 into something "for added close-range punch." They tend to sacrifice heat efficiency for versatility.

Who the gently caress cares?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

Lol what the gently caress edgelord. Too much backstory for your serious video game. :getout:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Wrr posted:

I've seen a bunch of Cataphracts but also I spend all my time kicking the poo poo out of the Capellans, as you may have inferred.

They whined to the MRB and we had a big sit down meeting where I proved that it was all 'just business'.

Wait factions can complain to the MRB about you? Over what? Thats amazing.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Artificer posted:

Wait factions can complain to the MRB about you? Over what? Thats amazing.

Over kicking their rear end too much. You then get an event that has a chance to improve or worsen reputation with them.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Conspiratiorist posted:

This seems pointlessly... hostile?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Go away.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Conspiratiorist posted:

Over kicking their rear end too much. You then get an event that has a chance to improve or worsen reputation with them.

"i was one of the opfor in periphry. mmy callsign was "Loser Fuckface Nerd " and my catchphrase was "i cant fight them! theyre too strong""

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

um

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

285 posts in this thread doesn't mean he cares about any of this nerd poo poo

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I don't care about the games 80s idiot lore, no. It's like whatever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Conspiratiorist posted:

I don't care about the games 80s idiot lore, no. It's like whatever.

ok dude, but some people don't care about optimal weapon calculations or the correct way to fit a SRM centurion. they've never told you to shut up.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

This seems pointlessly... hostile?

A perfectly normal reaction to lore. Back in my wow days I used to react the exact same way when someone went "actually... the night elves are hermaphrodites because something something deathwing curse"

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Conspiratiorist posted:

Me. I care.

Shut the gently caress up and go back to posting tryhard nerd math that doesn't practically matter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of optimal weaponry I just headshot a King Crab and now it has two gauss rifles and 25 lrms. How much more ideal can I make the crabbo

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of optimal weaponry I just headshot a King Crab and now it has two gauss rifles and 25 lrms. How much more ideal can I make the crabbo

download all of Xarbala's mods and make it a Clanbuster KGC which will more or less demolish everything

nah in seriousness a dual gauss KC is super great. i would throw in some jump jets because I like moving more than one inch per turn but that's up to you

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Artificer posted:

All my compositions seen to fall into 2 categories: lrm boats with a gauss rifle possibly, srm wielding brawlers. And thats it.

A page back but this is what killed the game for me, the lack of variation :\

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Noir89 posted:

A page back but this is what killed the game for me, the lack of variation :\

Ya'll reallllly need to play roguetech.

Really no trouble, you just run the all-in-one installer: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/79?tab=files

You can switch back to vanilla at whim by just renaming the Mods folder so it doesn't get picked up.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Side benefit/drawback of roguetech: you can cram a fuckload more guns on your mechs

Vanilla game: "man, this gauss highlander is dope as poo poo"

Roguetech: "I've put 3 gauss rifles on my annihilator, but I'm still worried it's not enough alpha for a 100 ton mech"

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm nearing the end of my vanilla campaign and I've kind of hit a point where I feel like I've already "won". In the sense that I can complete most missions without taking structure damage and only the Alliance FP's have really done a number on me

I'll probably switch over to trying RogueTech or CCC again for variety of mechs & gear. There's only so many Thunderbolts / Victors I can kill before it gets boring

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Unormal posted:

Ya'll reallllly need to play roguetech.

Really no trouble, you just run the all-in-one installer: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/79?tab=files

You can switch back to vanilla at whim by just renaming the Mods folder so it doesn't get picked up.

I wish there was an all-in-one installer for Roguetech without the aggravating stuff. I want cool new poo poo to play around with, not turn it into Mech Manager 2018.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You can get plenty of variation without rougetech. Just stop using the same weapon loadouts every time / using only the 'best' pilot builds / only fielding the optimal mechs.

Likewise, even all the extra stuff in rougetech won't help if you continue doing the same thing every time.

Personally, I never use more than one of the same mech at once. I get one Orion in the hangar, all future Orions are stored or sold. I regularly rebuild loadouts, often based around doing something different. I made a quad AC2 jager because I had 4 ++ AC2s, and it wasn't completely terrible! (Called shot master helps.) Currently I'm on a PPC kick.

I find the quickest way to make this type of game boring for myself is the rut of doing the most optimal strats just because they're optimal.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Cease to Hope posted:

"such and such weapon is lostech" was a fig leaf from decades ago that didn't stand up to any sort of scrutiny at the time, either. it's just a thin justification for retconning a bunch of new weapons into Battletech.

Plus the general monkey business ComStar did behind the scenes to kneecap the houses and keep them at heel helped, I think. Something's effective and potentially throwing the balance of power off? Declare it "Lostech" and say no, it can never be found again, honest! Superstition and inherent respect for seemingly neutral authority is usually enough. it worked for the Imperium of Man in Warhammer 40K.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Well in a few ways Battletech is post-apocalyptic.

Remember ComStar controlled all communication infrastructure so discoveries couldn't spread and when somebody tried to spread then Holy Shroud would fall upon them.

Even so most of the stuff we consider LosTech was jealousy guarded by the Hegemony and only given to the Royal SLDF divisions (meaning those pulled from the Hegemony), and only sent off to the others once the Hegemony had something better.

I mean yeah realistically it's pretty impossible in an age of thousands of redundancies for stuff to be lost like it was in BattleTech but it holds up to a basic level of scrutiny, and that's all it needs to do.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm hoping we get an expansion set after the discovery of the Helm Memory Core. I like when Comstar gets knocked down a peg, which unfortunately doesn't happen too often.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

smdh when you can't even nerd out about battletech in the battletech thread

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Klyith posted:

That should work. My bet is that it didn't show up because you haven't actually generated a new shop inventory.

You need to go to a new system that you haven't been to in the last 14 days -- shops are persistent if you go back quick enough. Also the shop selection is generated when you jump in, so you can't speed up testing by using a save from just before you arrived at the planet. Move along to another planet and I bet it'll be there.

On tags:
Blacklisted controls whether things show up in skirmish, so that doesn't matter. Lostech means it won't be show up in a random loot roll in the salvage screen. (So both of those have no effect on stores.)

I traveled to a system 19 days away that I had never visited before, and I'm still not getting it. None of the mods I'm loading are editing that file. I even tried replacing the default shopdef_Ammo_all.json with a copy that had the GR ammo in it and it didn't work. I can only assume that there's something wrong with the syntax of the file.

Here's the whole thing. Do you, or anyone else, see anything wrong with it? This is really driving me nuts.

quote:

{
"ID" : "shopdef_Ammo_all",
"RequirementTags" : {
"items" : [
],
"tagSetSourceFile" : ""
},
"ExclusionTags" : {
"items" : [
"planet_other_empty"
],
"tagSetSourceFile" : ""
},
"Inventory" : [
{
"ID" : "Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_AC2",
"Type" : "AmmunitionBox",
"DiscountModifier" : 1.0,
"Count" : 0
},
{
"ID" : "Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_AC5",
},
{
"ID" : "Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_AC10",
},
{
"ID" : "Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_AC20",
},
{
"ID" : "Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_SRM",
},
{
"ID" : "Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_LRM",
},
{
"ID" : "Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_GAUSS",
},
{
"ID" : "Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_MG",
}
],
"Specials" : []
}

EDIT: Could this be a line return character type issue? I've been editing these things in word pad, but it occured to me that all my other .json edits were just changing numeric values instead of adding new lines. If so, what format should I be saving in (linux?) and can anyone recommend a good, free, editor that saves to that format. I use textwrangler at work, but I have a windows box at home.

Organ Fiend fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 15, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is there a known issue with the AI regularly just completely bugging out and skipping its turn / bracing when it makes no sense to do so? Like, the entire lance. Often. I thought I had run into it once or twice as a fluke but now it's like every freaking mission. Really ruining the fun of my career iron man game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A whole lance? No, never had the happen. You running any mods?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nope, no mods. Never even tried any.

The only "special" things I can think of are:
I have the BSC, but it happens even when it's not on the field.
Using ultra wide screen.
Using the "quick moves" setting, or whatever its called that speeds up movement.

It seems like they do get stuck, they eventually get unstuck when I get close enough or I get in melee range.

Maybe I'm just too much of a badass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

Common everywhere but Marik space, where they were virtually Lostech. There's a reason most BattleMechs with a -M Marik variant swap out PPCs for Large Lasers until their alliance with the Draconis Combine in the 3030 let them buy some of the Combine's overstock.

PPCs are interesting because the Draconis Combine definitely has the most and the best (which is why they were able to slap two on a Catapult to make the -K2) while the nations furthest from the Combine (the FWL and CapCon) have the fewest.

Edit: Every nation has weird preferences for their standardized "custom" 'Mech modifications.
- House Kurita -K variants usually strip weapons to add armor or heat sinks or jump jets
- House Davion -D variants usually strip armor to add weapons and/or jump jets
- House Steiner -S variants tends to drop speed and/or armor to add more guns and then strip small guns to add more big guns (and then strip more anything to add more Gauss Rifles)
- House Marik's -M variants swap every PPC they can for large lasers so they'll have enough PPCs to keep building Awesomes
- House Liao's -L variants swap whatever the gently caress they feel they need to at a given moment to better counter House Davion slapping an extra SRM-2 into something "for added close-range punch." They tend to sacrifice heat efficiency for versatility.

Ohhh is that what the model numbers mean? So a Jenner D is a Davion variant?