Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He had a very cat-like movement to him, I thought. More Black Panther than Black Panther. Of all of the stock Spider-villains Kingpin had working for him with little fanfare, Prowler actually managed to stand out as the no-nonsense one. (and also implies that Miles' invisibility is very, very good)

And the adrenaline junkie point does bring up that Spider-man has almost always been portrayed as simply enjoying being Spider-man and being a superhero, despite life making it incredibly hard on him a lot of the time. Which is probably just as well, if they didn't enjoy it they'd go crazy from the stress and terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Saw the movie earlier today and just caught up with the thread (:yikes:). The film great, especially visually.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Only tangentially related to the current Prowler disco, but there's a couple small things I want to note real quick:

1. The last line from Sunflower that Miles sings before his dad reminds him to go to school is "some things you just can't refuse..." which opens up the fate/choice themes that we've already touched on. (And the incomplete line that gets interrupted is "she wanna ride me like a cruise", which I guess is the primer for Miles being weird around girls)

2. On the way to school, Miles is slapping his tags everywhere. He jumps up for a big one (and gets it!) but then he trips on his shoelaces, falls in the road and it looks like he's about to get run over for a second? But then it's his dad in the cop car. It was like a little reprise of Icarus -- flew too high and fell, kind of combined with the specter of getting arrested (or even killed) for his crimes street art? Like death rolled up in a cop car. Which relates to Mile's subway painting of the hanged man looking figure superimposed over EXPECTATIONS, since the deadly expectations are mainly his dad's.

The end of the film repeats the moment: Miles tags the stone lion and segues into a suicide drop off the top of a skyscraper. Coming to love his fate/destiny/dad is kind of sealed with a joyous plunge into death.

[edited cause i misremembered the statue as an eagle]

mmmmalo fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 11, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've listened to What's Up Danger a bunch since watching the movie.

Song good, scene good, movie good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

Other than the sound, my favorite part of Prowler's "feel" was his animation and movement style. He'd go from stock still to full speed and back in an instant. You always got the sense that he was pouncing. That economy of movement made him scarier!

It was superb, there's a lot of "charge----------->STRIKE", it's extremely distinctive. He moves unlike any other character.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Prowler is almost textbook in how you make a villain seem dangerous without expository dialogue. He jumps in from out-of-frame to very methodically and efficiently beat the hell out of Peter Parker, and immediately the tone surrounding the character is set for the rest of the film. Now whenever he's on-screen my eyes are glued to him and I'm just wondering what he's gonna do next.

Into the Spider-Verse was really really really good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really like how it had several different classic Spidey villains, which is how big multi issue story arcs in comic books often rolled.

In many ways, while I have watched many different super hero movies this is the first film I've watched that could truly be described as a comic book movie.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

One thing that did stick out to me is that they didn't really do anything with Miles' Dad assuming spiderman killed Aaron outside of him changing his mind about his assumption at the end. I mean the reason why that plot point got lost in the shuffle makes sense (film was packed enough as it is), but it was still the one thing that stuck out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

My biggest issue is that I can't quite reconcile the two. I'd love to have a reason or even a hint at a reason why someone who's such a good person in, well, person, is such a bad guy in costume. Trespassing and defacing property are against the law, but tbqh I really don't see the issue with them doing art in an abandoned subway tunnel, like that barely registers as criminal for me. And it's painted as such a positive, healthy thing for Miles as well, no hint of "uuh but what if they CATCH us? What if DAD finds out?". Just doesn't gel with "Aaron mercilessly hunts down who is obviously a young kid with a motorcycle, later strangles and almost kills him".

The issue I have with both of your viewpoints is (abbreviated for Augus, sorry, but the "represents" in your sentence is already enough to point at what I mean) is that you talk about Aaron as a plot device. And I agree, it works just fine there, I have no issue with that. He fits very well into the story and bringing its themes across. But while watching the movie, I started wondering about Aaron as a person, and why he, as a character with a complex personality, would make the choices he did and what his motivations are and so on. And there's something lacking there, my curiosity is just not sated. I'd have loved if the movie had given him juuust a little bit more time to "explain himself", basically, to make his voice heard more.

Overall, I think it's a huge compliment to the movie that it made me care about one of its characters so much! It's just a tiny thing too, but it irks me enough to speak up.

Hot take: as a cop, the dad is also an enforcer willing to kill unarmed black kids as part of his job, and he also considers it a just part of his job.

I don’t think you’re supposed to see into that part of Aaron’s life, but just be shocked by the apparent incongruity. The dad suggests that he was a criminal, he built a super suit to do crimes, he got hired to do crimes like dr octopus and green goblin and the rest.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

So I looked into all three of the directors:

Peter Ramsey was the one of the three who had preexisting directorial experience, having done Rise of the Guardians. He's also done storyboards for a variety of live action films.

Rodney Rothman is the director who was directly involved in the screenplay (co-writing it with Lord): most of his previous credits were serving as a writer and/or producer on various tv shows. He also wrote the screenplay to Lord and Miller's 22 Jump Street.

Bob Persichetti's mostly did in-betweens for late 90s/early 00s Disney films and storyboards for Dreamworks films. He also co-wrote the screenplay for Mark Osborne's The Little Prince.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Rodney Rothman is the director who was directly involved in the screenplay (co-writing it with Lord): most of his previous credits were serving as a writer and/or producer on various tv shows. He also wrote the screenplay to Lord and Miller's 22 Jump Street.

A lot of animation purists have been getting upset about people who traditionally work in live-action being brought on to animated projects on the grounds that they're not as familiar with The Process but honestly it feels more to me like they're just threatened by the fact that the flipside of animation being treated as a medium rather than a genre means the old guard doesn't wield nearly as much power over their isolated little kingdom as they did in the old days. It's like how professional cartoon voice actors complained about movies having live action actors doing voices in movies and now almost everything on TV has one actor for each role instead of Rob Paulsen and his five friends interchangeably voicing everyone on every channel and the shows are much better for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

One thing that did stick out to me is that they didn't really do anything with Miles' Dad assuming spiderman killed Aaron outside of him changing his mind about his assumption at the end. I mean the reason why that plot point got lost in the shuffle makes sense (film was packed enough as it is), but it was still the one thing that stuck out.

I feel like it was largely there to remove one of Miles' last hand-holds. While it didn't go far it went far enough that when Miles was at his lowest he couldn't go to his dad. In turn that set up his dad opening up honestly to him. They might have done without it but I think it helped emphasize that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just watched the movie a second time.

Verdict: Still just as :stare: a second time around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My only complaint is that I wish the movie had more time to develop Miles's relationship with Aaron. Even one more scene might have helped really solidify it before everything goes to hell. I don't know that I'd cut anything for it, though, so I can see why they didn't have enough time for that arc, but I wish they had.

Absolutely loved the movie overall, though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Simply Simon posted:

My biggest issue is that I can't quite reconcile the two. I'd love to have a reason or even a hint at a reason why someone who's such a good person in, well, person, is such a bad guy in costume. Trespassing and defacing property are against the law, but tbqh I really don't see the issue with them doing art in an abandoned subway tunnel, like that barely registers as criminal for me. And it's painted as such a positive, healthy thing for Miles as well, no hint of "uuh but what if they CATCH us? What if DAD finds out?". Just doesn't gel with "Aaron mercilessly hunts down who is obviously a young kid with a motorcycle, later strangles and almost kills him".

The issue I have with both of your viewpoints is (abbreviated for Augus, sorry, but the "represents" in your sentence is already enough to point at what I mean) is that you talk about Aaron as a plot device. And I agree, it works just fine there, I have no issue with that. He fits very well into the story and bringing its themes across. But while watching the movie, I started wondering about Aaron as a person, and why he, as a character with a complex personality, would make the choices he did and what his motivations are and so on. And there's something lacking there, my curiosity is just not sated. I'd have loved if the movie had given him juuust a little bit more time to "explain himself", basically, to make his voice heard more.

Overall, I think it's a huge compliment to the movie that it made me care about one of its characters so much! It's just a tiny thing too, but it irks me enough to speak up.

Some of the worst people in history manage to be kind, loving and compassionate towards their family or people they like.

To apply it more to Aaron, there are people who do violent poo poo on the streets to those they consider "others" and justify it(or hell in some cases it might be true) as things they have to do to survive , but when they are with people they love and care about, they are the kindest people in the world.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Harrow posted:

My only complaint is that I wish the movie had more time to develop Miles's relationship with Aaron. Even one more scene might have helped really solidify it before everything goes to hell. I don't know that I'd cut anything for it, though, so I can see why they didn't have enough time for that arc, but I wish they had.

I thought their relationship felt incredibly solid for how quickly they conveyed it. While Jefferson is critical of Miles’ artistic endeavours and dismissive of his doubts about school, Aaron is unequivocally supportive. That right there gives you such a perfect feel for their family dynamics.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I think it’s fascinating that Prowler (distinct from Aaron) is a character who’s basically, like, 70% sound design. Visually, he’s not all that imposing at all; gangling of limb, goofy cape, ill-fitting mask. With the addition of a single sound, though, he goes from being laughable to utterly terrifying. There’s something primal and disturbing about that noise, and it’s great how effective it is.

The shading on Prowler in every scene is amazing too and it really makes him larger than life.

I saw a figure of him on shelves and he just looks comical without it.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 13, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I thought their relationship felt incredibly solid for how quickly they conveyed it. While Jefferson is critical of Miles’ artistic endeavours and dismissive of his doubts about school, Aaron is unequivocally supportive. That right there gives you such a perfect feel for their family dynamics.

Oh yeah, they did a lot of work with Miles and Aaron's one big scene together, for sure. Their relationship and eventual conflict and tragedy definitely affected me. I'd have just liked to see a little more. It's not critical, though, which is why I don't think I'd cut anything for it because the rest of the movie has so much that's so great, too.

I think the scene that hit me the most was Jefferson talking to Miles through the door while Miles can't respond.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

SirSamVimes posted:

Just watched the movie a second time.

Verdict: Still just as :stare: a second time around.

Came here to post this. Such a fun, gorgeous movie.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Show availability seems to be drying up around me. I've seen it maybe seven times now and I smile every time figuring out its someone's first time seeing the movie because of their reactions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Prowler is pulled off pretty amazingly well especially for a villain that's a relative newcomer to the spider-mythos and doesn't have an immediately clear gimmick or motif. I thought he had a bit of a cat thing going on, though that might be vague.

He reminded me a bit of a far less comedy version of the CG TMNT cartoon's Bebop. That said, Spidey and the TMNT would definitely get along.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Prowler is pulled off pretty amazingly well especially for a villain that's a relative newcomer to the spider-mythos and doesn't have an immediately clear gimmick or motif. I thought he had a bit of a cat thing going on, though that might be vague.

He reminded me a bit of a far less comedy version of the CG TMNT cartoon's Bebop. That said, Spidey and the TMNT would definitely get along.

:thunk:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In terms of pop-culture penetration, I think the claim still stands. The dune buggy is better known outside of people who read comics, probably.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I don't know if I missed a line earlier but I had no idea what 'the people scary noise guy' villain name was until right before the house fight scene, but I'm not versed in spider-lore outside of the well-known stuff.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

pray for my aunt posted:

I don't know if I missed a line earlier but I had no idea what 'the people scary noise guy' villain name was until right before the house fight scene, but I'm not versed in spider-lore outside of the well-known stuff.

Perfect Peter says his name briefly when he first fights him in the collider.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

In terms of pop-culture penetration, I think the claim still stands. The dune buggy is better known outside of people who read comics, probably.

And I'm pretty sure the incarnation of the character that's Miles' uncle is new. D-list villains get completely reinvented pretty often. And Spider-man has a LOT of D-list villains that nobody remembers until an adaptation or a really good run reinvents them in an interesting way. If they brought back Humbug most people would consider a version of the character anyone cared about to be new.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I'm pretty sure the incarnation of the character that's Miles' uncle is new. D-list villains get completely reinvented pretty often. And Spider-man has a LOT of D-list villains that nobody remembers until an adaptation or a really good run reinvents them in an interesting way. If they brought back Humbug most people would consider a version of the character anyone cared about to be new.

Miles' uncle has always been Aaron Davis and, when Ultimate Marvel was a thing, he was Prowler there.

Now, he's the Iron Spider in main continuity, but Aaron Davis as Prowler isn't new.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He at least well known enough that most assumed Donald Glover was going to be a villain in Homecoming based on being cast as Aaron.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've never heard of Prowler before this movie, and I'm into comic stuff enough to read the Funny/Badass Panels and Good/Bad Art threads in BSS. Anecdotal, I know, but I'm pretty glad that it wasn't spoiled for me that Aaron might be a supervillain just from his name.

Harrow posted:

I think the (quite long) scene they had together was fine; I'd even argue it was two back-to-back scenes (them discussing Miles' problems at the new school, and then the actual spraying in the subway tunnel to make him feel better about his ability to have choices in life). As I said initially, the only thing I personally would have added to those scenes was the most subtle of hints towards why Aaron liked being the Prowler so much.

Again, to the at least two responders in the last page, I get that some people do bad poo poo, and that the movie mirrors the two brothers, but I wanted to know specifically about Aaron, the character not the cipher or plot device, because I liked Aaron.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I didn't want to complain about two (tiny) things at once in my first post, but this also irked me a little. For two very conflicting reasons, however. First of all, I actually hate plot points based on misunderstandings. I loathe the many times in these stories where the heroes do a good thing but the public doesn't appreciate it/their rival thinks that they actually caused the destruction in the first place/the villain frames them and everybody buys it/whatever. Sometimes, that's part of the tragedy (Greek or not) of the story and there's little the hero can do, but most often it could be solved with simply talking about it and yes sometimes people act irrationally and won't listen, but I still don't like it.

So this could have been a setup for a very trite and personal pet peeve plot about Jefferson trying to bond with Spider-Man's out-of-costume identity while also hating his super-hero identity and Miles having to dance around that and UGH, but it wasn't actually so...yay?

But on the other hand, why even bring it up then? It only served to annoy me with the possibility of such a plot development happening, but then...it didn't. Also, again, actually a bit of a disservice to Aaron as Jeff seems to just forget about his brother's death rattling him quite a bit in that one scene.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Simply Simon posted:

But on the other hand, why even bring it up then?

So Miles couldn't go to his father with any of his problems. He didn't kill Aaron but he still felt guilty about it anyway, at least at that moment, and that created a giant gulf between him and his dad.

One of the big themes of the movie was "You need to take a leap of faith" but that was played against the other theme of "Other people need to trust you enough to stop holding you back and let you take that leap of faith". It wasn't until absolutely everyone who had been trying to help Miles find his way ended up leaving him behind (either as a choice to protect him, or through their death) that he finally had the freedom to make the leap of faith. Miles' Dad was never going to do that so the film had to find some way of pushing Miles away from him anyway.

The "We're not going to let you fall" motif keeps coming up in the film again and again:

(I think there were a few more, I couldn't find the clips online)

In the end Miles actually steps into that role and takes responsibility for the others, which is when we get this reversal:

"You have to let go."

And it's only after all that has happened that Miles is finally ready for this:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

That scene with Peter and Miles in the dorm room was so good. You know that Peter wants this so for Miles so bad, but he can't let Miles go on a suicide mission.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So Miles couldn't go to his father with any of his problems. He didn't kill Aaron but he still felt guilty about it anyway, at least at that moment, and that created a giant gulf between him and his dad.

One of the big themes of the movie was "You need to take a leap of faith" but that was played against the other theme of "Other people need to trust you enough to stop holding you back and let you take that leap of faith". It wasn't until absolutely everyone who had been trying to help Miles find his way ended up leaving him behind (either as a choice to protect him, or through their death) that he finally had the freedom to make the leap of faith. Miles' Dad was never going to do that so the film had to find some way of pushing Miles away from him anyway.

That is a very good explanation which I can readily accept - thank you and also for taking the time to find the cool pictures supporting your argument :). I think my personal resentment for this common plot device just blinded me a little, it makes perfect sense for why it happened and how it plays into Miles' development.

In fact, I remember now that I felt more tension during the scene with the door, because conceivably Jeff could have tried to force it open, and he would have discovered that Miles is Spider-Man, and that would have sucked a lot. I mean, not that I thought he would do it, but it added an extra complication - even if Miles could have gotten rid of the gag, for example, he couldn't have called out to his father to open the door and free him and hug him and tell him everything is going to be fine.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Yeah I get why this plot development happened (ratchet up the stakes for Miles by putting distance between him and his dad) but on top of the story not doing much with this development, the way it happened was sort of awkward and contrived. I was expecting Jefferson to react in some way to his brother wearing the Prowler suit but he doesn't seem to notice this at all, and instead rushes to blame Spider-Man as if he found dead Aaron in civilian clothes. Maybe Jefferson already knew about what Aaron was up to in his criminal career and probably in the moment he didn't much care about anything beyond his brother's death, but it took me out of the movie a bit that Jefferson just ignored that Aaron was wearing a super suit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

That scene with Peter and Miles in the dorm room was so good. You know that Peter wants this so for Miles so bad, but he can't let Miles go on a suicide mission.

And it’s balanced with his own death wish as a way out of having to deal with his own problems.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yeah I get why this plot development happened (ratchet up the stakes for Miles by putting distance between him and his dad) but on top of the story not doing much with this development, the way it happened was sort of awkward and contrived. I was expecting Jefferson to react in some way to his brother wearing the Prowler suit but he doesn't seem to notice this at all, and instead rushes to blame Spider-Man as if he found dead Aaron in civilian clothes. Maybe Jefferson already knew about what Aaron was up to in his criminal career and probably in the moment he didn't much care about anything beyond his brother's death, but it took me out of the movie a bit that Jefferson just ignored that Aaron was wearing a super suit.

I just assumed Jefferson already knew, they had already established that there was a serious falling out between the two.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

At that point, it doesn't matter to Jeff what Aaron did. Before (and after) everything, they're brothers.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I just assumed Jefferson already knew, they had already established that there was a serious falling out between the two.
I don't know if the falling out was conveyed as serious enough to suggest Jefferson knew Aaron was a criminal enforcer, let alone super-suited Prowler. He clearly disapproves of Aaron and cautions Miles against ending up like him, but it comes off more like a clash of personalities than any serious history, not to the point where Jefferson is preventing his son from spending time with his brother. Aaron echoes this when he references their old troublemaking days before Jefferson became a cop. Their rift comes off as Jeff thinking Aaron is a lowlife and Aaron thinking Jeff is uptight.

hiddenriverninja posted:

At that point, it doesn't matter to Jeff what Aaron did. Before (and after) everything, they're brothers.
Oh definitely, Jefferson would have a strong reaction to Spider-Man killing his brother regardless of the circumstances. I guess as a viewer I was just expecting some kind of reaction here like I think anyone would have if they discovered their brother was a criminal mercenary. It wouldn't have made a difference to the plot either way but I found it jarring that it went explicitly unaddressed. (Implicitly it was addressed by Jefferson forgiving Spider-Man at the end of the movie, suggesting he'd come to terms with Aaron's fate as a consequence of his criminality.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figure it's more a knee-jerk assumption; Jefferson finds his brother dead in a supervillain costume during a super powered brawl and black suited Spider-man who he considers a dangerous vigilante right next to him. After some time to cool off and possibly an autopsy, he can rethink his assumptions.

Another theory: it's easy to forget that most spider folks have spider sense even when it's not explicitly indicated to the audience. Much like another recent movie Peter Parker, Prime Peter probably had his going off like crazy...

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Well I read a few of the more recent pages of the thread and now I retroactively hate the movie.

Psyche I loved it. Visually the most spectacular movie I've ever seen, and the sound design on Prowler was probably my favourite part of all. Every time he was onscreen I was rooting for him because he moved and sounded so cool, and I especially liked how dorky he actually looked in daylight and how they made him scary despite that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I think the (quite long) scene they had together was fine; I'd even argue it was two back-to-back scenes (them discussing Miles' problems at the new school, and then the actual spraying in the subway tunnel to make him feel better about his ability to have choices in life). As I said initially, the only thing I personally would have added to those scenes was the most subtle of hints towards why Aaron liked being the Prowler so much.

Again, to the at least two responders in the last page, I get that some people do bad poo poo, and that the movie mirrors the two brothers, but I wanted to know specifically about Aaron, the character not the cipher or plot device, because I liked Aaron.

Yeah, maybe that's what I was missing--maybe I wanted to get to know Aaron as a character more. There's a lot hinted at beneath the surface for him and I think that's what I wanted to see more of.