Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

weird Asian candy posted:

It's actually what he calls his wife's vagina

wwwwwwwwwwwww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Supposedly this draft is top heavy with pass rushers. Pass rushers are dope so we should talk about that. I'll start.

My team, the Baltimore Ravens, could use a good pass rusher. Sadly they aren't a total garbage fire so they're picking 22nd this year. Bosa, Allen, and Ferrell are all certainly gone by then so who are the QB sack guys that'll still be around worth that pick?

Oh man, great question. Definitely deserves to make it to the next page.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1084579644118978561

That’s fair.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/NFLDraft/status/1084602800858750977?s=19

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Gotta start that clock on the second contract

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Waroduce posted:

Gotta start that clock on the second contract

Or its a lovely draft and everyone is trying to raise their chances

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Azhais posted:

Or its a lovely draft and everyone is trying to raise their chances

It's a really good draft

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I think that's just the case of more people playing football = more draftable players. That number should keep climbing every year as the U.S. population does.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a neat cape posted:

It's a really good draft

I haven't been following it at all yet... all I've heard is the QB and OT prospects are pretty weak. What areas are looking strong at the top end and/or super deep? Seems good for pass rushers which is cool.

Doltos posted:

I think that's just the case of more people playing football = more draftable players. That number should keep climbing every year as the U.S. population does.

This assumes young kids continue to play football at traditional rates. Which I don't think you can take for granted as evidence mounts about how badly it destroys your life. But that's going to take a while to materialize (if it ever does). There's plenty of talent in the pipeline for the foreseeable future.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I haven't been following it at all yet... all I've heard is the QB and OT prospects are pretty weak. What areas are looking strong at the top end and/or super deep? Seems good for pass rushers which is cool.

This assumes young kids continue to play football at traditional rates. Which I don't think you can take for granted as evidence mounts about how badly it destroys your life. But that's going to take a while to materialize (if it ever does). There's plenty of talent in the pipeline for the foreseeable future.

Defensive line talent is through the roof

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Doesn't that sort of suck for the Chargers, what with how good their pass rushers are?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Doesn't that sort of suck for the Chargers, what with how good their pass rushers are?

We need interior defensive line help. Mebane is getting up there in age and I think we're about done with the Corey Liuget experience

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Doltos posted:

What? It's about players leaving college early, not more people playing football or more players in the draft (either of which may not even be true). It says that right there.

They're smart to leave college early, depending on position it could end up leading to tens of millions of extra dollars down the road. Allows you to get to your first real contract earlier and also start getting decent money on the rookie contract. Every college game you play has a chance to derail your career with injury and is also losing you money unless you're rocketing up the draft boards.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
KYLER NOOOOOO

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Metapod posted:

KYLER NOOOOOO

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1084909340723740672

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Smart move for the immediate future.

I thought I read he gave the A's a chance to basically match his NFL signing bonus tho...I guess they declined?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Smart move for the immediate future.

I thought I read he gave the A's a chance to basically match his NFL signing bonus tho...I guess they declined?

yeah I remember reading on Saturday that he asked for a 15 mil contract by Sunday night in order for him to not register for the draft

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Leveraging a baseball team against a football league to get more money is commendable

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I really think he should do football. Despite being the 9th pick in the MLB draft he hasn't even played that much baseball and could be a long way from the major leagues. Possible he never even gets there.

This coming draft is honestly perfect for him, given the lack of QB talent I could totally see a team claiming him in the first round as the first or second QB off the board. The height is the main thing that could prevent that, but it will spark an interesting conversation about how tall you actually need to be to play quarterback professionally. Either way he's an electric player that I really, really want to see starting games in the NFL.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

indigi posted:

yeah I remember reading on Saturday that he asked for a 15 mil contract by Sunday night in order for him to not register for the draft

Ah ok I didn't know there was a deadline so yeah I guess they declined (which makes sense for them as well).

DariusLikewise posted:

Leveraging a baseball team against a football league to get more money is commendable

It is pretty bad rear end. Oh, you want to pay me 8mil Professional Team A? That's cool...Professional Team B is gonna pay me 15mil, what say you?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If you think his height is a con you are dumb as poo poo. Dude is smaller than djax that's the issue

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

If you think his height is a con you are dumb as poo poo. Dude is smaller than djax that's the issue

So what you're saying his height doesn't matter but his weight does? The two things are connected...

In any case, they both matter. How much is an open question but they matter.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

What? It's about players leaving college early, not more people playing football or more players in the draft (either of which may not even be true). It says that right there.

They're smart to leave college early, depending on position it could end up leading to tens of millions of extra dollars down the road. Allows you to get to your first real contract earlier and also start getting decent money on the rookie contract. Every college game you play has a chance to derail your career with injury and is also losing you money unless you're rocketing up the draft boards.

The money for leaving early and getting drafted late is awful compared to staying an extra year and getting drafted earlier. Differences of 400k between third and 7th round. Makes no sense to declare early if there's more competition to get drafted.

What you're probably seeing is so many more 4 and 5 star recruits going to these big D1 schools and pushing out the last crop of 4 and 5 star recruits. College football players have been improving on measureables every year at the combine, it stands to reason that there's a ton more NFL worthy players out there now which means more people for the draft.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yes being a 190 pound twig or whatever getting hit by guys who are way bigger than you going full speed is an actual concern. Not being able to see over the oline isnt a real concern because no prospect has been short enough for that to be a real thing. Height does not correlate to weight like you think it does the human body is way more complicated than your quick wiki search will say

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Metapod posted:

Yes being a 190 pound twig or whatever getting hit by guys who are way bigger than you going full speed is an actual concern. Not being able to see over the oline isnt a real concern because no prospect has been short enough for that to be a real thing. Height does not correlate to weight like you think it does the human body is way more complicated than your quick wiki search will say

Yep you're right and Play is wrong. Height doesn't matter much as bone structure and genetics when it comes to distribution of weight, nor does being taller correlate to being heavier. In fact it's usually quite the opposite:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5072155/
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0030153

Murray's a tiny dude and it has nothing to do with his height.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Maurice Jones-Drew was what, 5'8' and took out Shawn Merriman on a block. MJD was also built like a tank and had the legs to prove it

Murray is a twig

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Didn't Kliff Kingsbury saying something about how given the opportunity he'd draft Murray #1 overall?

Guess who has the #1 overall pick. :getin:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Thread for laughing at the A's

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Murray is high-key a dumbshit if he decides to play in the NFL when he has 5 milli guaranteed from the As on the table. why would you do that to yourself

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

indigi posted:

Murray is high-key a dumbshit if he decides to play in the NFL when he has 5 milli guaranteed from the As on the table. why would you do that to yourself

If he goes in the 1st, that's way more money than he would ever see from baseball until he hits FA. Which would be years from now.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah but you'd be playing football

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

indigi posted:

yeah but you'd be playing football

In a position where the league has basically legislated violence out of

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If he excels at Baseball and is A-Rod level, he gets a 20 year career at like 25 mill per year. At the low end, it's a couple million bucks...but you get a chance at 20 year career.

If you go for the NFL you get damaged permanently and have, maybe, 5-10 year career so you get rookie + big contract if you're lucky.

Baseball, if you love your family and wife, you get to travel the US together or whatever for 9 months out of the year. If you hate each other, you get to travel and cheat on your wife while she cheats on you for 20 years for 9 months of the year.

Baseball's the smart money compared to Football. Basketball with the most merchandise options and system to get more money outside of the sport and don't get the wear and tear plus the thirst.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

a neat cape posted:

In a position where the league has basically legislated violence out of

I'd happily take a ten million dollar pay cut in order to guarantee I'd never catch a blindside sack

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

indigi posted:

I'd happily take a ten million dollar pay cut in order to guarantee I'd never catch a blindside sack

You've also not worked your entire life to become an nfl quarterback...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it sounds like he's worked his entire life to become a professional athlete and was leaning toward baseball in the recent past, but maybe that was always just a play to up his draft stock. idk. guys who aren't interested in baseball don't usually have Scott Boras representing them

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

indigi posted:

it sounds like he's worked his entire life to become a professional athlete and was leaning toward baseball in the recent past, but maybe that was always just a play to up his draft stock. idk. guys who aren't interested in baseball don't usually have Scott Boras representing them

Agreed. Just pointing out it's probably not as easy as 'take that easy mlb money' when he has probably been dreaming of this moment in both sports for his entire life.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Agreed. Just pointing out it's probably not as easy as 'take that easy mlb money' when he has probably been dreaming of this moment in both sports for his entire life.

that's a great point. I really hope his family and friends are giving him body-saving advice

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

indigi posted:

that's a great point. I really hope his family and friends are giving him body-saving advice

I guess what muddies it a bit too is he is an outfielder. I suppose if he was a pitcher, that pitcher money would be much more appealing ie Jeff Smardzidja? I dunno. I'm still crazy impressed by anyone who can get drafted into two different professional sports.

I don't know a ton about his history, is he considered a better QB or OF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Judging from his college stats it looks like he has the potential to make it as a speed/power guy who might hit for average (that's very valuable). Problem is it's really hard to predict college to minor leagues to major leagues. Usually guys who have a higher chance of making it in the MLB hit consistently for a while before getting called up. Kyler has two years of college baseball. One was dreadful, one was pretty good.

As a QB who knows. We've all see the shows he's been putting on and we also saw what happened in the bowl game when he faces non Big 12 defenses.