Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
I've been playing this on xbox and I have some questions.

Should I try to kill duke fishron before the cultist?
I usually use a summoner build with terra blade but I keep getting shredded. Just got the vampire knives last night. Should I build around those instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Some may question my use of World Gen Preview, and why I might "enjoy spoiling the fun of exploring a brand new map". And the below image is why. To prevent discovering stupid crap like this and my gameplay experience diminished. The Terraria world generator needs a serious rework...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Some may question my use of World Gen Preview, and why I might "enjoy spoiling the fun of exploring a brand new map". And the below image is why. To prevent discovering stupid crap like this and my gameplay experience diminished. The Terraria world generator needs a serious rework...

There's really nothing wrong with corrupt/crimson snow.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

dis astranagant posted:

There's really nothing wrong with corrupt/crimson snow.

There is, if you like building your early game base there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So build in the other half or off in the woods. This isn't 1.1, corruption takes ages to spread.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the spread really is super slow and even in hard mode it's not difficult to cut off parts of the map to preserve them

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

On the other hand, if that makes you happy, go ahead.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No you don't understand, someone is playing the game differently than me, and that's bad

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Malachite_Dragon posted:

No you don't understand, someone is playing the game differently than me, and that's bad

Noone is saying he's wrong for playing the game differently, he's being made fun of for saying that that picture is evidence of the world generation needing a serious rework.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Noone is saying he's wrong for playing the game differently, he's being made fun of for saying that that picture is evidence of the world generation needing a serious rework.

Well it doesn't allow them to turn off Corruption or Hallow so I guess that's one thing it's lacking right now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
For what it's worth, my initial response to Calamity way back when was "gently caress this is way too hard and complicated, gently caress this", but I did a playthrough on Revengeance mode in it a couple months ago and was shocked at how much fun it was. It's got a pretty intelligent difficulty curve now. The bosses are scads above what "normal" Terraria bosses are capable of, but you get a lot more powerful to compensate.

As a complete experience I'd easily rate it as good as Thorium is provided you don't get frustrated dying on bosses for a little while until you learn the pattern. It's definitely not for the kind of player who just wants to play super relaxed and chill, though. Just don't bother with Supreme Calamitas and you're golden since everything up to that point is a natural progression of getting stronger and stronger and fighting more and more complex bosses. Beating Devourer of Gods for the first time feels loving amazing.

Also the DM Dokuro soundtrack kicks absolute rear end.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Guy keeps adding stuff too, some of his more recent additions are pretty impressive considering the limitations of Terraria modding. His ocean biome is WAY more ambitious in design than Thoriums, for instance, with whole depth and darkness mechanics and enemies you can stealth past relatively early to get good rewards. Plus its mad spooky. I never thought someone could make Terraria spooky but drat if the dude didn't manage it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I really need to ever stick to this long enough to even SEE hard mode personally. But I've always assumed it's physically impossible to not have your worldgen for Medium or Large have your evil biome do anything BUT clip through ice, desert, jungle, or all three at the same time :v:

"Oh, thank god. The Corruption isn't taking up 99% of the surface of the ice biome this time".

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've finally gotten around to playing this over the last few days. I think I'm running out of pre-hardmode toys to find or do, at least according to the wiki. How much prepwork do I really want to do in advance of murdering the guide and the boss? (Suppose I could just try it and make a new World if it goes awry. I'm not that type though :v:)

(edit) my Crimson is coterminous with the only Snow biome on the map, seemingly, but Desert and Jungle are on the opposite side of spawn, and spawn has a two-wide hellevator surrounded by water pockets because holy gently caress did I pick the wrong spot to dig. Dunno if that helps me.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The only prep you seriously need did a highway in hell so you don't have to worry about jumping over lava pools when fighting the boss. It's seriously not that big a jump.

I could be wrong, but I think some ankh shield components are easier to find before hard mode. And you could always do extra stuff like stockpiling fishing crates.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I lucked into the parts for the Obsidian Shield half of the Ankh Shield pretty early on, if that's what you mean.

I guess ultimately I'm just worried about the infection timer, like everyone else I'm gonna guess :v:

Good idea for a hell highway, though, I'd been starting to build one between the floating island range and the surface but got bored with how slow and finicky construction is (my track has weird sine waves from elevation changes now)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ciaphas posted:

I lucked into the parts for the Obsidian Shield half of the Ankh Shield pretty early on, if that's what you mean.

I guess ultimately I'm just worried about the infection timer, like everyone else I'm gonna guess :v:

Good idea for a hell highway, though, I'd been starting to build one between the floating island range and the surface but got bored with how slow and finicky construction is (my track has weird sine waves from elevation changes now)
Don’t overthink it overall Ciaphas because if you’re just starting you’re going to run through many many worlds as you play.

I usually build a surface railway to the far left or far right of the map (through corruption/crimson, ideally). When you hit the end of the map, wall the ocean off so it doesn’t drain (I prefer using glass blocks) then make a straight shaft (3 blocks wide) straight down to Hell. Starting on one edge or the other of Hell gives you lots of running room to fight the Wall of Flesh (I prefer running from it left to right). You’ll want to steamroll a safe lava free path from the map edge to 1/4 or halfway into the map (depending on size) to do so.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Alternatively rather than building a bridge at all, if you're overprepared defense wise you can just water-walking potion your way across hell during the fight, and let him pull you through solid walls when you get stuck. Your obsidian skull is a must for this, and obviously a lava charm helps in case you do momentarily clip through lava.

Prior to the fight, a good way to get around hell without a bridge is to take a feather falling potion and use a hook on the ceiling to travel. You can explore the ceiling of hell for chests this way; a few shadow chests spawn up there, sometimes even unlocked so you can access them before visiting the dungeon.

They contain nice stuff but in Mobile in particular these shadow chests can contain a major progression-skip item. On my first map this happened and I was suddenly able to mine Chlorophyte, dig tunnels at running speed, and deal tons of damage with it before I had even made my very first armor set of any type.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 14, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm pretty sure I'm overprepared for the actual fight (and inroads into hardmode itself), just unnecessarily anxious about loving myself over with the biome invasions. On the other hand, I can always make a new world if the jungle, desert or iceland get overtaken so gently caress it yolo.

Soon as I get that railway built in Hell, anyway :v:

(e) inventory, to reference what i've got so far

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 14, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The biome spread isn't that fast, and with hardmode pickaxes it's easy enough to dig gaps to block the spread off if there's anywhere you're particularly concerned about.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm overprepared for the actual fight (and inroads into hardmode itself), just unnecessarily anxious about loving myself over with the biome invasions. On the other hand, I can always make a new world if the jungle, desert or iceland get overtaken so gently caress it yolo.

Soon as I get that railway built in Hell, anyway :v:

(e) inventory, to reference what i've got so far

It’s nice in this game that characters are independent from worlds so in a pinch you can just dimension-hop to a new world and maybe do a couple back and forth runs using chests in your bases.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You can also purge the corruption and take other measures to stop the spread. The effects are not permanent and you're really overestimating how bad they are.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Basically the world changes a bit but it's not a complete world shattering difference like World of Balance and World of Ruin in Final Fantasy 6.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Corruption was worth worrying about back in 1.1, because it spread quite fast in hardmode and several monsters could spread it with their projectile attacks. Now you really have to try to spread it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fair enough. I guess there's no real harm in braining the poo poo out of some evil altars right away to get those ores generated, right?

Wall was... a little close. I think I prefer magic to melee at least so far, though I wouldn't have won without the defense from Molten over Jungle armor so I'ma call it a wash :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, smash 9 or so altars asap and go mine the roof of hell at the start of hardmode. Hell enemies no longer change til after you beat one of the mechanical bosses so it's pretty safe.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

No the hard part is the Ankh.

Ciaphas posted:

Fair enough. I guess there's no real harm in braining the poo poo out of some evil altars right away to get those ores generated, right?
Make sure you leave one alone somewhere convenient, you need it for crafting a few things.

EDIT: Or I see you're using mods, one or more of your mods might add a placeable crafting station that acts as an altar.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
I finally killed the cultist, and ran through the pillars somewhat easily. Moonlord killed me.
Then I accidentally got into the lunar events again but I had to go out so I saved and exited.
Now when I try to open my world, it crashes my xbox. I don't want to lose my world. Anyone know of a way I can fix this?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If you're really worried about corruption then just cheat in (probably with the save editor) a Clentaminator and go to town. However, it really doesn't spread fast enough to seriously threaten you and there's plenty of methods to cut it off without resorting to that. I definitely wouldn't recommend cheating in a Clentaminator unless you've already made it to the point in a previous game where you could afford the Clentaminator.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Prop Wash posted:

If you're really worried about corruption then just cheat in (probably with the save editor) a Clentaminator and go to town. However, it really doesn't spread fast enough to seriously threaten you and there's plenty of methods to cut it off without resorting to that. I definitely wouldn't recommend cheating in a Clentaminator unless you've already made it to the point in a previous game where you could afford the Clentaminator.

You can do that on an Xbox?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The clentaminator is in all versions.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Editing the save version on an Xbox is what I was wondering about.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

how to corruption-proof your base forever with zero effort involved: plant a hallow seed on either side of it.

bam, you're safe.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Mayveena posted:

Editing the save version on an Xbox is what I was wondering about.

Unfortunately not possible as far as I know. Weird apps like the save game editor don't work, of course, and the console team seems to be very aggressive about patching duplication bugs. Even if you could, the Steampunker won't spawn until you beat a mechanical boss. The OP was talking about the world gen viewer so I assumed he was on PC.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

how to corruption-proof your base forever with zero effort involved: plant a hallow seed on either side of it.

bam, you're safe.

Sunflowers may not be forever but they might as well be. And give a handy speed boost.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there any way to make the Mechanical bosses more likely to randomly spawn? I've busted up a dozen of the altars but only seen one Skeletron Prime and nothing else over like a dozen nights.

(ed) Or indirectly by speeding up/skipping time or something?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any way to make the Mechanical bosses more likely to randomly spawn? I've busted up a dozen of the altars but only seen one Skeletron Prime and nothing else over like a dozen nights.

(ed) Or indirectly by speeding up/skipping time or something?
You have to craft summoning items. Mechanical Eye, Mechanical Worm, and Mechanical Skull if I recall.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Infinite Karma posted:

You have to craft summoning items. Mechanical Eye, Mechanical Worm, and Mechanical Skull if I recall.

This is true, they're also uncommon drops from hallow/evil biome creatures.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I didn't even realize they used ordinary ingredients, I would have sworn I looked them up and thought you had to kill them once to unlock them or something. :doh:

(ed) Good lord, zero for four attempts across all three bosses. Guess Orichalcum armor ain't gonna cut it, but drat me if Titanium just seems utterly absent. :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
All I can offer for that is drink spelunker potions, hang around the bottom of the lava part of the caverns, and zoom the game out.