Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

Whoa whoa, has all this 120-140g of protein talk been about what to eat *so you don't lose mass while also getting rid of fat?* I'm already pretty close to the size I want to be, am I still shooting for that much protein?

high protein is essential for cutting too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

being extremely lazy today and swapping front squats for hack squats and leg extensions and swapping stiff leg deadlifts for hamstring curls. gonna swap barbell rows for the close grip cable row too

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

maybe i should just do curls

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Every time I try to do hack squats I just end up falling all over the place. Not sure what's up with that anyways that's my story about hack squats.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i use a machine for hack squats

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

squats squats squats sqauts

Helianthus Annuus posted:

whole post is great, but this is my takeaway

i was always told 1g of protein per pound of lean bodyweight, which always seemed laughably unattainable to me, unless you treat eating like a 2nd job

i try to hit ~120g each day, but its a struggle. if im not specifically counting grams and pounding whey, i'll top out at maybe 60g.

now my thing is to eat several tubs of yogurt each week

:yeah: yogurt is the prime reason I'd accidentally be over 100g

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I had never done a squat in my life until last year and they are just amazing.

I was afraid they'd make my lower back problems worse but they actually fixed them entirely.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

i meant to indicate amateurishness by misspelling at least one of the squats but my phone fixed everything for me :mad:
:goonsay:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I was afraid they'd make my lower back problems worse but they actually fixed them entirely.

ya if you do squats correctly they are enormously beneficial to your back and knees

if you do them wrong however, well

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

squat *fart* squat *fart* squat squat sauat *frr:gas:rt*

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

They make everything better, including your sexual performance and general social standing.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

squats are too heavy
i hate them

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

jarofpiss posted:

squats are too heavy
i hate them

You’re doing it right

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

i entered the nyc marathon lottery (which opened today if anyone else wants to do it), so wish me luck

it would end up being super expensive but i suppose it's a bucket list marathon

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I did the Marine corps marathon, and decided after training up to that distance that half marathon we're more my speed. Way easier to train up to and recover from without losing a bunch of my weekend.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Agronox posted:

i entered the nyc marathon lottery (which opened today if anyone else wants to do it), so wish me luck

Good luck! I've never done any of the big marathons myself, only the Green Mountain and Vermont City ones so far. Last couple of years I've tried to do the Philly marathon but both times had to cancel due to unavoidable schedule conflicts cropping up.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

ya if you do squats correctly they are enormously beneficial to your back and knees

all I see is a real man

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Markorjoshua posted:

all I see is a real man

gled spinal cord

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Epic High Five posted:

Dont hate him cause you ain't him

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Good luck! I've never done any of the big marathons myself, only the Green Mountain and Vermont City ones so far. Last couple of years I've tried to do the Philly marathon but both times had to cancel due to unavoidable schedule conflicts cropping up.

My most recent was Philly. It was my worst time ever... winds were high, it was really cold, and there's a good 8-mile stretch where it's pretty lonely and miserable. Really killed my willpower to push through, which is entirely my fault, but still. Everyone I spoke with there was super nice though.

I've wanted to do the one... what is it, Burlington City or something? I never remember to apply before it sells out. The one where it got black flagged a few years ago for being 90 degrees and humid way out of season.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

Pancakes posted:

gled spinal cord

a man should only be judged by the number of his plates, never the straightness of his spine(a useless bone)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'll admit I'd rather be a millionaire failson than the normal kind

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Agronox posted:

My most recent was Philly. It was my worst time ever... winds were high, it was really cold, and there's a good 8-mile stretch where it's pretty lonely and miserable. Really killed my willpower to push through, which is entirely my fault, but still. Everyone I spoke with there was super nice though.

I've wanted to do the one... what is it, Burlington City or something? I never remember to apply before it sells out. The one where it got black flagged a few years ago for being 90 degrees and humid way out of season.

The Vermont City Marathon takes place (mostly) in Burlington, yes. It's run Memorial Day weekend which given VT weather can be...interesting. Last time I did it, it was in the low fifties, raining, and with massive wind whipping in off of Lake Champlain (which led to a moment of surreal comedy when I reached the bend down by the marina and saw someone's anchored sailboad capsize).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Agronox posted:

Hey my friend entered the lotto for this today, I hope both of you get in.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Epic High Five posted:

the face doesnt look like lowtax, but the spine is a perfect match

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The Vermont City Marathon takes place (mostly) in Burlington, yes. It's run Memorial Day weekend which given VT weather can be...interesting. Last time I did it, it was in the low fifties, raining, and with massive wind whipping in off of Lake Champlain (which led to a moment of surreal comedy when I reached the bend down by the marina and saw someone's anchored sailboad capsize).

Oh, right! This was what I was thinking of. It was back in 2016. Not as bad as I thought--they halted it at 4 hours--but still must've sucked if you were planning on like a 4:40 finish or the heat itself put you on that pace.

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2016/05/29/heat-halts-vermont-city-marathon-first-time/85131462/

C-Euro posted:

Hey my friend entered the lotto for this today, I hope both of you get in.

Thanks! I really should sign up for something regardless because I have been in no mood to put up miles lately and could use a good reason to start training.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Agronox posted:

Oh, right! This was what I was thinking of. It was back in 2016. Not as bad as I thought--they halted it at 4 hours--but still must've sucked if you were planning on like a 4:40 finish or the heat itself put you on that pace.

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2016/05/29/heat-halts-vermont-city-marathon-first-time/85131462/

Yeah I remember hearing about that as I didn't run it that year. One of my friends was doing his first half marathon and finished before they called it, and is no more brain damaged now than he was beforehand.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

anyone got a good total body 3day/wk routine that i can get stronger on but only takes an hour or so? wanting to do more bjj but trying to not overtrain and ruin my body like i always do

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

jarofpiss posted:

anyone got a good total body 3day/wk routine that i can get stronger on but only takes an hour or so? wanting to do more bjj but trying to not overtrain and ruin my body like i always do

Starting strength? Or do you need something more advanced?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Crakkerjakk posted:

Starting strength? Or do you need something more advanced?

im an intermediate lifter at this point. thought about texas method but i think it may be too much if i’m also rolling 4 times a week. i dont mind slower strength progression as long as i can avoid injury from overtraining

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

also im turning 35 this year so im getting old

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

there's a 3 day variant of 5/3/1

https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

pick the 3 days/week option at the bottom and you can tailor it as you like with the other options to keep it at about an hour. I used to do Boring But Big and was in and out in about an hour including warmup. If you do that I recommend doing the swap option which switches the 5x10 sets up so it's deadlifts with squat day and vice versa

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

jarofpiss posted:

Monday, Forearms:
Pronation
Supination
Wrist Curl
Wrist Curl, reverse
Ulnar Flexion
Radial Flexion

And then also Wednesday and Friday.

You'll be the only dude on the planet rocking three forearm days. Your forearms will become too powerful in time. No one will be able to stop you. Not even the police.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

there's a 3 day variant of 5/3/1

https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

pick the 3 days/week option at the bottom and you can tailor it as you like with the other options to keep it at about an hour. I used to do Boring But Big and was in and out in about an hour including warmup. If you do that I recommend doing the swap option which switches the 5x10 sets up so it's deadlifts with squat day and vice versa

i've never been stronger than when i was on a similar 5/3/1 program. this kind of periodization is highly recommended for intermediate lifters

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

actually sat down and worked out my average protein intake and it was barely half of what I needed for lifting, and less than half if you throw in another few grams for being an old

no wonder my progress seems so fuckin’ slow

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I got really blazed and thought the bar was 35 lbs not 45 for some reason. Now I have made very rapid bench press gains. Would recommend

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Accretionist posted:

You'll be the only dude on the planet rocking three forearm days. Your forearms will become too powerful in time. No one will be able to stop you. Not even the police.

As someone who spends way too much time in climbing gyms I can tell you that this is 100% false.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

doing calf days instead

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

jarofpiss posted:

doing calf days instead

The Beto Method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005