Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/mlevinreports/status/1083425012923547648

Long twitter thread laying out the stuff that is being planned for Newsom's housing policy

How reliable is this guy? I've never heard of him and he doesn't have a check mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

VikingofRock posted:

How reliable is this guy? I've never heard of him and he doesn't have a check mark.

quote:

Matt Levin is the data and housing dude for CALmatters. His work entails distilling complex policy topics into easily digestible charts and graphs, finding and writing original stories from data, yelling at his computer for something he did wrong in his code, and complaining about his rent on our housing podcast. Matt is a former research associate for the Public Policy Institute of California, where he specialized in poverty and social policy. He has reported for KQED’s The California Report, PBS Frontline, and Private Equity International Magazine. He has a Master’s in Public Policy from UCLA and an MS in Journalism from USC, but he'll always consider himself a Cal bear.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Keyser_Soze posted:

"Do you like High Density Housing initiatives?"

I get it.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
This and the single payer stuff, gotta say I’m warming to G A V I N a little. I guess this is what it looks like when psychotic ambition is focused on good, not evil.

i love my murderous android governor

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Excuse me his name is G.A.V.I.N.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i still chuckle about that joke about how gavin had to leave the candidate statement in the voter booklet blank because of the law that facebook bots disclose they are bots when making political posts

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

i still chuckle about that joke about how gavin had to leave the candidate statement in the voter booklet blank because of the law that facebook bots disclose they are bots when making political posts

Jesus, I’m stealing that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Hey look, Gavbot is proposing another good thing: https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c377614e4b045f67689e0e0

quote:

Newly elected California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) on Thursday proposed what would be the most generous paid parental leave policy in the nation: six months of partially paid leave so parents or other family members can care for a newborn or newly adopted baby.

Right now, some California parents have access to a combined four months of leave at partial pay. Those who get less include adoptive parents, same-sex couples and single parents.
The budget Newsom unveiled Thursday offered up a bunch of goodies for young children and their parents, including a plan for statewide universal pre-K and all-day kindergarten, as well as more money for subsidized child care. He also announced an increase in benefits to undocumented immigrants. It was an astonishing contrast to the policy priorities of the Trump administration.
The egalitarian nature of Newsom’s scheme could avoid one of the pitfalls of paid leave: putting women at a disadvantage in the workplace. Mothers wind up taking long workforce leaves, and fathers don’t. Under his plan, if parents want their child to have six months of care provided by a family member, fathers would theoretically have to step up. Mothers still take the majority of leave in the state.

The effect of a paid leave policy on improving public health and the economy is hard to overstate.

Studies have shown that paid maternity leave reduces infant mortality rates, increases the amount of time women spend breastfeeding and makes it more likely that infants will be immunized.

Paid leave for women also helps keep them in the workforce. And the U.S. lags other nations when it comes to the percentage of women who work outside the home.
6 months split between parents is still a lot less than many of our developed peers, but nevertheless a good sized improvement over the current status quo in California, and a massive improvement over what most of the rest of the US offers for paid parental leave (jack poo poo).

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

6 months bro I'm gonna dopt a kid a year

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/hiltzikm/status/1083761760031526913

Stop white house
The dust bowl

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'm pleasantly surprised at how hard Newsom came swinging out the gate honestly

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Newsom is the kind of guyrobot whose was pretty good at reading the way the wind is blowing while just being abrasive enough about it. and also narcissistic enough and wants to go down in history as Someone Who Did Things more than anything else instead of fading away into obscurity like some milquetoast neolib centrist. also he knows he's extremely safe in the seat and going to win again in 2022 so he can kinda do whatever.

I do wonder if he'd resign and run for feinsteins seat in 2024 given he'd only have 2 years left in office anyways.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Dude is ambitious, and with a large (and growing) blue majority in CA that wants something done about housing/traffic/climate change/education, he figures his best bet to higher office will be to address those needs. If he'd been elected in 1994, he'd be boldly taking about austerity and privatizing government services and trusting the market and public/private partnerships.

He's a weathervane, but one that the winds are (for once) swinging in our direction. Fine by me, I'll take it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I am too. Seems like he's certainly not loving around. Even John Moorlach didn't have much to complain about.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

N.E.W.S.O.M. calculated all scenarios and determined this was the best path, 63.65% favorable outcome, to an eventual Vice Presidency nomination and favorable anti-trump comparisons.

More data is required before AOC Protocols are integrated into legislative routines.

Xaris posted:

I do wonder if he'd resign and run for Feinsteins seat in 2024 given he'd only have 2 years left in office anyways.
I absolutely see some horse trading and backroom chatter between the two to ensure Feinstein gets a good sendoff from an inheritor that will not trash her.
He gets to crow about her historic leadership and she gets to hand it off to someone who won't rock the boat too much.
Bonus is he gets to sit in congress and push back against the GOP to get a cushy Cabinet/Veep nom down the line

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 11, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gavinbot's immediate health proposal isnt single payer or opening up medical to the general public or anything (there is increased eligibility to medical for undocumented immigrants though which is good). it is just reimplementing the obamacare individual mandate on the state level. i havent seen anything that indicates that there will actually be cost or quality controls on the private insurance people will be compelled to buy and unless it does i dont see how this improves healthcare from the status quo where people pay assloads of money for lovely insurance they cant afford to use.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How will Newsom respond to the PG&E bankruptcy?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RandomPauI posted:

How will Newsom respond to the PG&E bankruptcy?

Sue whatever leadership/board there is for negligance and nationalize it?

:cenobite:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Didn't they just get a massive bullshit bailout as Jerry was walking out the door that let them jack up rates to offset their losses from the fires?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sydin posted:

Didn't they just get a massive bullshit bailout as Jerry was walking out the door that let them jack up rates to offset their losses from the fires?

for 2017's fires, yes

last i saw they were lobbying to get an identical bill passed for last year

e: it was also not just a moonbeam thing it passed both chambers with overwhelming majorities lol

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 14, 2019

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

FilthyImp posted:

Sue whatever leadership/board there is for negligance and nationalize it?

:cenobite:

I would love this.

Quick question on it: Would y'all want to elect a board of governors for PG&E or have a currently elected position appoint them?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I do not understand how you could have a functioning brain and look at for-profit utilities and think "yes this is a good thing that will work well."

Come on dems you have a super majority, the governorship, and all the public anger and justification you will ever need. Grow a goddamn spine and raze PG&E to the ground, then plant the glorious flag of a state-owned and operated energy company on top of PG&E's corpse.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sydin posted:

I do not understand how you could have a functioning brain and look at for-profit utilities and think "yes this is a good thing that will work well."

Come on dems you have a super majority, the governorship, and all the public anger and justification you will ever need. Grow a goddamn spine and raze PG&E to the ground, then plant the glorious flag of a state-owned and operated energy company on top of PG&E's corpse.

a private entity is much more efficient at routing campaign contributions to lawmakers' checking accounts and post-political-career lobbying job offer letters to their inboxes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

just think of the seven-figure do-nothing job youll have for life if youre the assemblymember who manages to block the pg&e takeover

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
CA should just do a hostile takeover while the stock is cheap, IMO

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Glumslinger posted:

CA should just do a hostile takeover while the stock is cheap, IMO

:getin:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The whole point of going bankrupt is to give as much of the money that's left to investors and creditors and leave the state to deal with the decayed infrastructure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bankruptcy involves screwing creditors because there's not enough money left to pay debts. What you return to investors is always only what's leftover after paying senior debt, which generally means creditors and bondholders. Typically stockholders get nothing. Where poo poo gets especially egregious is when executives have golden parachutes so they escape with their bonuses and incomes intact despite running a company into the dirt.

e. In this case I believe PG&E's debts are seen as the undfunded judgements likely to be leveled against them in court. Bankruptcy is the option for dealing with the situation of being unable to raise cash to pay the presumed impending judgements on top of any existing debt and operating costs. I do not know whether a judgement would be seen as senior debt in a bankruptcy court.

In the event the state seeks to take over PG&E, I think it would be best for taxpayers for PG&E to pass all the way through bankruptcy first; however, this could result in the beneficiaries of a huge judgement receiving much less than the court assigned them. From the perspective of seeing the company's operations continue, getting the infrastructure updated and maintained properly, and also paying whatever judgements come down as restitution to victims and their families, the state might prefer to take the company over pre-bankruptcy and then hit CA taxpayers up for many billions of dollars. I do not know if it would be possible to pay off the full judgement while sticking the company's investors (bondholders, stockholders) with maximum responsibilty for losses, up to and including zeroing out the value of both.

Basically it comes down to what the goal is of a takeover. Long-term regardless of the details I want to see utilities provided by the government and not for profit, but in the short and medium term this is a complex situation where probably nobody is going to be happy with how things go down.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 14, 2019

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This story is nuts

https://twitter.com/DavidZahniser/status/1084347915848474625

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
So how about this rain. It's gonna go all week. Will unprepared drainage areas in LA see floods? Is the water table saturated from the rains a month ago maybe?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/passantino/status/1085035154140057601

Have fun LA goons

I wonder if they'll have to flood Sepulveda Basin? I don't think they've had to in almost 20 years

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

We're gonna have to come up with a new thread title.

California's new Rain Forrest Weather

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/passantino/status/1085035154140057601

Have fun LA goons

I wonder if they'll have to flood Sepulveda Basin? I don't think they've had to in almost 20 years
Man I should make a trip down to San Diego for the weekend. I loving love rain and we've got almost no rain here in the East Bay. Past few weeks they've been forecasting rain all week/weekend and then as the day approaches it just ends up being sunny/slightly cloudy. I love getting thai food or pho or something in the rain and reading a book in low light next to an open window listening to the rain :sigh:

rain during work week does suck tho, but I loving love weekend rain and we haven't had any of it really.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:tif: but with rain

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Xaris posted:

Man I should make a trip down to San Diego for the weekend. I loving love rain and we've got almost no rain here in the East Bay. Past few weeks they've been forecasting rain all week/weekend and then as the day approaches it just ends up being sunny/slightly cloudy. I love getting thai food or pho or something in the rain and reading a book in low light next to an open window listening to the rain :sigh:

rain during work week does suck tho, but I loving love weekend rain and we haven't had any of it really.

I know I'm South Bay, but have you been outside or near a window today?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ardeem posted:

yeah we got a very light sprinkle at around 8-9am and around 4-6pm but that was about it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The fire comes later. Climate change is a mean motherfucker that hits you from every angle. California is predicted to see higher annual rainfall in the coming decades but constricted into a narrower timespan. That means more flooding, but also more fires because all the fuel sources that bloom during the wet season have plenty of time to dry out once the months-long droughts set in.

Literally drowning and burning to death at the same time.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I encourage everyone to get Red Cross shelter work training. We're planning on opening more shelters for longer due to the climate change.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ardeem posted:

:sigh::hf::sigh: I usually love rain, but this morning I biked to work for the first time in a couple months, so of course it was pouring rain and I had 15mph winds blowing against me. Looks like it's gonna rain through until Friday too. gently caress off nature I'm trying to be healthy over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Skippy McPants posted:

The fire comes later. Climate change is a mean motherfucker that hits you from every angle. California is predicted to see higher annual rainfall in the coming decades but constricted into a narrower timespan. That means more flooding, but also more fires because all the fuel sources that bloom during the wet season have plenty of time to dry out once the months-long droughts set in.

Literally drowning and burning to death at the same time.

Don't forget the mudslides!