Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Organ Fiend posted:

can anyone recommend a good, free, editor that saves to that format. I use textwrangler at work, but I have a windows box at home.

Notepad++ is a solid lightweight option, maybe atom or sublime if you want something a little more fully featured

I'd try one of those and get the easy option out of the way. Wordpad is quite possibly the culprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Ohhh is that what the model numbers mean? So a Jenner D is a Davion variant?

Nah, the JR7-D is the base model and the mech originally hails from the Combine.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I've had enemies get "stuck" once, when there was a road moving through a shallow valley and I went over the ridge into the enemy flank instead of along the road directly at them. One enemy came up and shot at me, the rest just stood there bracing until after I'd come over the ridge (and shot them in the butt).

Actually, I had it happen a second time too, where the reinforcements that appear after popping a convoy just stood at their spawn point until I got closer.

And actually, it could have happened more times than that, just that I didn't see or notice the other times. (Do you think you'd notice if ambushers just stood at their spawn points until you got closer, and then ended up springing the ambush a couple of turns later than they were "supposed" to? I don't think I'd notice.)

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Organ Fiend posted:

I traveled to a system 19 days away that I had never visited before, and I'm still not getting it. None of the mods I'm loading are editing that file. I even tried replacing the default shopdef_Ammo_all.json with a copy that had the GR ammo in it and it didn't work. I can only assume that there's something wrong with the syntax of the file.

Here's the whole thing. Do you, or anyone else, see anything wrong with it? This is really driving me nuts.

EDIT: Could this be a line return character type issue? I've been editing these things in word pad, but it occured to me that all my other .json edits were just changing numeric values instead of adding new lines. If so, what format should I be saving in (linux?) and can anyone recommend a good, free, editor that saves to that format. I use textwrangler at work, but I have a windows box at home.

I forgot to submit an answer to this i think. They changed how markets work so now the shop defs arent the only thing you need to edit. You need to add tags for each planet under the starsystemdef files you want them to be available on. Aside from that the tag youre adding only makes the collection that item is in available to randomly make it available.

Omar added these tags to the old holy grail planets ( former SLDF, manufacturing, reasearch, rich, inner sphere level civilization)

quote:

"itemCollection_loot_ItemTriple_SLDF",
"itemCollection_loot_Weapon_SLDF"

So for example my complete tag list on Victoria is

quote:

"SystemShopItems": [
"itemCollection_major_Liao",
"itemCollection_shop_starleague",
"itemCollection_shop_industrial",
"itemCollection_shop_research",
"itemCollection_loot_ItemTriple_SLDF",
"itemCollection_loot_Weapon_SLDF"

My special planet list is
cateshold
claybrooke
joppa
midale
new vandenburg
smithion
thurrock
victoria
vard
yuris

That way no matter who I ally with there's a lostech store and the liao area keeps their market edge having 3-4 of the best market systems should give them from vanilla.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 15, 2019

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

sebmojo posted:

Sometimes, but not always. For instance, the Jenner and Atlas have always been the JR7-D and AS7-D since their inception, and as noted above, the Jenner's a Drac mech, though one designed in the 2700s. But the Catapult, Normally the CPLT-C(number) has a Kuritan variant known as the CPLT-K(number), so it plays by the rule you're imagining.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Basically at some point they decided to make the model numbers maybe mean something, sometimes.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The clan omnis also had a decent system of telling you what they were gonna be based on. B's are normally long range sniping variants, H's shoved heavy lasers on, S's are short range variants normally with a bunch of streak 6s or AC20s, U's are underwater variants with UMUs and LRTs or SRTs instead of srms or lrms.

After the initial clan omnis that system kinda broke down tho sadly.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I feel like I don't have a very good handle on the mechwarrior abilities & how to get the most out of them. On my first playthrough I had a decent mix, mostly because I just randomly picked things, but always seemed to have the best luck with Brawlers (Bulwark/Coolant Vent/Sure Footing), but that might just be because of my simplistic tactics and tendency to build mechs without enough cooling? Having passive defense boosts and being able to go OH poo poo DUMP HEAT SHOOT AGAIN just seemed *really* user friendly.

When I was up to my armpits in assault mechs late I suddenly wished I wasn't acting last all the time so the value of Master Tactician - the one ability I never picked up - suddenly hit me in the face. :fry:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm hoping we get an expansion set after the discovery of the Helm Memory Core. I like when Comstar gets knocked down a peg, which unfortunately doesn't happen too often.

You're in luck because I'm pretty sure the timeline from here on out is generally a downward trend for ComStar.

They completely mismanage the 4th SW and let a superstate form, they do a decent job of managing that in 3038 with the DC war, but then the Clans show up and ComStar completely shits their pants because they outtech them. They try and play all sides with Operation Scorpion but it completely fails, exposes ComStar's evil, and then they split into the Wobbies and ComStar prime.

The Jihad is basically their last gasp and after that ComStar is basically irrelevant, right?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So I got my first assualt of this play through and its the missile version of the cyclops! I've slapped 7 SRM-4s on that gently caress with 5 bins of ammo and as much armor as I could. Did I do good? I already have a catapult so as much as I love LRMs it seems like a bad idea to have two LRM boats.

Additionally I allied with the pirates and now I'm listed as an enemy of every other faction. Whoops!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm hoping we get an expansion set after the discovery of the Helm Memory Core. I like when Comstar gets knocked down a peg, which unfortunately doesn't happen too often.

I'd love this, just because there's a fascinating little window between the Helm core and the clans invading where you're getting limited amounts of some Lostech back, but it hasn't gone full nutso with clan stuff. Think 3035 - 3045. XL engines are there, but expensive enough and in short enough supply that you see all kinds of oddball retrofits of old mechs with new weapons but those same old heavy engines and often still using single heat sinks.

It was my favorite period to play in back when I still did TT because you can cook up some pretty scary boss fights with enemy mechs outfitted with all the fun stuff, but getting an ER LL or whatever is still a big deal and "oh hey, we need funds/equipment to retrofit out old and busted 3025-tech mechs" is an easy story hook and progression ladder. Plus the older poo poo still on the field isn't totally overmatched the way it gets by the time the Clans show up, so even if you've pimped your Warhammer a bog standard Marauder is still a threat.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Organ Fiend posted:

I traveled to a system 19 days away that I had never visited before, and I'm still not getting it. None of the mods I'm loading are editing that file. I even tried replacing the default shopdef_Ammo_all.json with a copy that had the GR ammo in it and it didn't work. I can only assume that there's something wrong with the syntax of the file.

Here's the whole thing. Do you, or anyone else, see anything wrong with it? This is really driving me nuts.

Nothing wrong with that -- for future reference there are online validators for json so you can easily check if you've missed a comma or something.

You are directly over-writing the shopdef_Ammo json file in BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\shops\ as well, not trying to load the change as a mod, right? What happens if you also delete the SRM ammo, as a sanity check?

Edit: gently caress, just saw Stravag's post. Huh. That is really annoying. That also means modded items are gonna be a bitch to put in stores.

So Organ Fiend, what you need to do is find data\itemCollections\itemCollection_Ammo_all.csv and add the Gauss ammo box to that. Then gauss ammo will show up everywhere ammo is sold.

quote:

EDIT: Could this be a line return character type issue? I've been editing these things in word pad, but it occured to me that all my other .json edits were just changing numeric values instead of adding new lines. If so, what format should I be saving in (linux?) and can anyone recommend a good, free, editor that saves to that format. I use textwrangler at work, but I have a windows box at home.

Hmm, I just tried editing one of the jsons in wordpad and it changed it from unix to dos style line feeds. I'm kinda doubtful that matters though, it should be messing up everything in that file if that was the case. I would be shocked if unity cares about return characters.

Though that brings up another idea, have you looked at your output log file? (BattleTech_Data\output_log.txt)

As for what text editor to use, notepad++ is good as suggested above. I prefer sublime text, which isn't free but has a very generous "demo" (unlimited time, rare nags only when saving files).

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 15, 2019

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
There's no hard rule for model numbers, but IMO it's most often used for House-specific upgrades to common/shared designs like the Project Phoenix reseen. If there's a Clan Invasion era version of the game, you can expect a fair number of mechs presently in the game to adopt that style to indicate who makes the upgrade, like the -S and -K Atlas (which you may recognize from MWO), the -M Orion, the -M Griffin, the -M Cicada... Okay, you can expect lot of -M mechs to start with because the Mariks export a bunch of refit kits to reduce the tech gap for the Houses on the Clan front.

Sky Shadowing posted:

The Jihad is basically their last gasp and after that ComStar is basically irrelevant, right?
What was left of the ComGuard was rolled into the Republic's forces, and the corporate side was allowed to persist under tight scrutiny. A few years after the HPGs crash and everyone jumps on the Republic, a division of neo-ComGuards scraped together on the down low gets caught out in the open. The division is hunted down and crushed, Comstar's leadership is outed as old school Succession War style Blakists and purged, and the humble technicians and infrastructure is subsumed into the Republic.
With their primary business largely inoperable, things aren't much better for them outside the Wall. :rip:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd love this, just because there's a fascinating little window between the Helm core and the clans invading where you're getting limited amounts of some Lostech back, but it hasn't gone full nutso with clan stuff. Think 3035 - 3045. XL engines are there, but expensive enough and in short enough supply that you see all kinds of oddball retrofits of old mechs with new weapons but those same old heavy engines and often still using single heat sinks.

the problem with Star League tech is that it's like 3025 but moreso. gauss rifles and DHS-cooled LRMs annihilating everything at max range is the order of the day.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many times in the books/lore/whatever does someone describe their "omega strike" instead of "alpha strike"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

sean10mm posted:

I feel like I don't have a very good handle on the mechwarrior abilities & how to get the most out of them. On my first playthrough I had a decent mix, mostly because I just randomly picked things, but always seemed to have the best luck with Brawlers (Bulwark/Coolant Vent/Sure Footing), but that might just be because of my simplistic tactics and tendency to build mechs without enough cooling? Having passive defense boosts and being able to go OH poo poo DUMP HEAT SHOOT AGAIN just seemed *really* user friendly.

When I was up to my armpits in assault mechs late I suddenly wished I wasn't acting last all the time so the value of Master Tactician - the one ability I never picked up - suddenly hit me in the face. :fry:

To be fair, Coolant Vent + Sure Footing and Bulwark + Master Tactician are the best combos. You really can't beat Bulwark's Damage Reduction as far as tier 1 skills go.

Bulwark + Breaching Shot is also decent but much more niche: AC20 builds and LRM (2x20 & 3x20) boats where you can maximize Breaching Shot with minimal splitting. And since you seem to be understanding now the value of initiative, maybe you can see how Bulwark + Ace Pilot can be utilized by lighter mechs alongside Line of Sight management.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
IMO breaching shot has gotten *much* more valuable with the change to bulwark. Previously the ability to shoot through brace wasn't that big a deal -- it was good for the initial salvo or with BVR sensor locks when the AI was braced, but not much more. The AI was terrible at using bulwark itself, and was not generally inclined to actively brace unless it was nearly dead. Breaching shot was a better skill than juggernaut, that was about all. :shrug:

Now the AI can use bulwark just fine. The computer loving loves defensive terrain, any pilot with bulwark is running around with 40% DR constantly on many maps. I think having a couple guys with breaching is quite good to bring to any of the forest-y types of terrain. I'm actually getting into trouble because I used to be like "ok fine you can sit in that patch of trees, I'm gonna maneuver around your flank and take easy leg shots." Now I need to think about monopolizing cover for myself and denying it to them.

Also multi-target isn't an offensive skill, it's an aggro management taunt.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Klyith posted:

Also multi-target isn't an offensive skill, it's an aggro management taunt.

Yep. A mech with a bunch of weapons and multi-target makes calming poo poo down on missions where you need to guard something a lot easier. If you have the hardpoints and tonnage to work with it can be worthwhile to roll, for example, an LRM 15 and LRM 5 instead of an LRM20 to take advantage of this. The missile boat stalker comes to mind for that kind of thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Got my first alliance option. Is it worth doing? It looks like I get a special store access in exchange for a bunch of factions hating me, which does not sound like a great deal.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Was the discovery of Comstar being utter shits with Holy Shroud and such a HOLY poo poo moment for the houses or a I loving KNEW IT moment?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Got my first alliance option. Is it worth doing? It looks like I get a special store access in exchange for a bunch of factions hating me, which does not sound like a great deal.

You also get a couple alliance flashpoints.

I just go ahead and ally with two that are complimentary. You can still do flashpoints for people who hate you. Liao despises me but taps me for those.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

You also get a couple alliance flashpoints.

I just go ahead and ally with two that are complimentary. You can still do flashpoints for people who hate you. Liao despises me but taps me for those.

Woah I can ally myself with more than one? Okay so going with pirates does seem much worse. Hope the flashpoints are dope.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cyrano4747 posted:

it can be worthwhile to roll, for example, an LRM 15 and LRM 5 instead of an LRM20 to take advantage of this.

If you have the hardpoints it's worth taking the 5 & 15 over a 20 anyways, you save 1 ton at the cost of 2 heat. LRM numbers are kinda stupid.

LRMs should go like this
5 .... 2t ... 6 heat
10 ... 5t ... 8 heat
15 ... 7t .. 14 heat
20 .. 10t .. 18 heat

so that everything has value. 5s & 15s are the light ones to cram more missl on your mech, 10s are the cool ones for sustained fire, 20s are the big ones for maximizing hardpoint value. And it makes 10+15 identical to 20+5.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Artificer posted:

Was the discovery of Comstar being utter shits with Holy Shroud and such a HOLY poo poo moment for the houses or a I loving KNEW IT moment?

There was always an undercurrent of Comstar being untrustworthy and up to no good, the existence of the comguard wasn't a particularly big surprise and SCORPION was dealt with quickly.

But I don't think the details of the poo poo they did to keep the succession wars going came out until the Jihad.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Stravag posted:

I forgot to submit an answer to this i think. They changed how markets work so now the shop defs arent the only thing you need to edit. You need to add tags for each planet under the starsystemdef files you want them to be available on. Aside from that the tag youre adding only makes the collection that item is in available to randomly make it available.

*snip*

So first of all thank you so much. The fix you posted wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it did show me exactly what I needed to do to get the result I wanted. I added a line to itemCollection_Ammo_all.csv for GR ammo, and now GR ammo shows up in unlimited amounts just like AC/LRM/SRM/MG ammo. I completley didn't know about itemCollections folder and all the .csv files in there ... although if I had just looked at a systemdef file, I might have found them. Do the .jsons in the shops folder do anything anymore?

I don't know if this is a known issue or future feature goal, but modtek doesn't merge .csv files, so I had to edit the main file to get this to work. Does modtek merge .csv files for anyone else?

Second, am I not reading your post right, or did HBS's change to stores eliminate lostech from the stores? Because the modification your post is describing sounds like someone adding lostech back to the stores.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Klyith posted:

So Organ Fiend, what you need to do is find data\itemCollections\itemCollection_Ammo_all.csv and add the Gauss ammo box to that. Then gauss ammo will show up everywhere ammo is sold.

Read your post after figuring it out myself, but thanks to you too as well.

I'll check out notepadd++ and sublime text.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Organ Fiend posted:

So first of all thank you so much. The fix you posted wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it did show me exactly what I needed to do to get the result I wanted. I added a line to itemCollection_Ammo_all.csv for GR ammo, and now GR ammo shows up in unlimited amounts just like AC/LRM/SRM/MG ammo. I completley didn't know about itemCollections folder and all the .csv files in there ... although if I had just looked at a systemdef file, I might have found them. Do the .jsons in the shops folder do anything anymore?

I don't know if this is a known issue or future feature goal, but modtek doesn't merge .csv files, so I had to edit the main file to get this to work. Does modtek merge .csv files for anyone else?
modtek is what makes files get loaded without editing versionmanifest.csv, so it can definitely handle either csvs or whatever data structure the game puts them in after they load.

and yes, after running an experiment it looks like the storedef jsons are no longer relevant. hoo boy, that's gonna be a mess. modders who want to add stuff to stores now have to edit starsystem defs, which is much less multi-mod friendly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

People answered already, but I am a huge nerd so I have more (useless) trivia to add!

Some stock designs wind up with quiet insults as their primary designations. The Cataphract didn't enter full production until House Davion took the factory, so the stock CTF-3D is a Davion designation which the Capellans later upgrade to the CTF-3L.

The Marauder is the 'Mech where the designation being kinda-sorta-sometimes meaningful is most visible, since it wound up with a MAD-3D -3L and -3M for Davion, Liao, and Marik respectively because House Davion was tired of their Marauders exploding every time someone stole a sideways glance at the side torso, House Liao was tired of House Davion stealing all their Marauders because they kept overheating (but weren't concerned about them randomly blowing up), and House Marik just didn't have enough PPCs to build the stock design anymore.

Xarbala posted:

Basically at some point they decided to make the model numbers maybe mean something, sometimes.
This is pretty much exactly it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's the third three skill mechwarrior in one month that has been instant killed by a mech kicking their head off, this time at the start of a flashpoint. Christ almighty. Apparently I should be using Griffins and Dragons as my primary brawlers, obviously the 1300 armored super mech designed to do it is loving incapable of it.

I thought I finally had enough mechwarriors to do another FP but between the endless instant kills and headshots I have no experienced warriors any more.

e: I'm also pretty sure that the loading tip that says guts skill impacts survival rate is lying

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 16, 2019

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Artificer posted:

Bit of both from different people really. The bigger shock was the huge comguards army they showed up since most people assumed they just had real limited reserves. The great houses were suspicious of Comstar as they were really happy to be involved in the constant politics and especially at keeping the FedCom from getting too strong. MI:6, one of the Federated Suns spy wings was actively fighting to purge all the ROM (comstar's spy group) from their infiltration of the Federated Suns and they were trying to work out ways of long range communication without the need for the HPGs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RBA Starblade posted:

That's the third three skill mechwarrior in one month that has been instant killed by a mech kicking their head off, this time at the start of a flashpoint. Christ almighty. Apparently I should be using Griffins and Dragons as my primary brawlers, obviously the 1300 armored super mech designed to do it is loving incapable of it.

I thought I finally had enough mechwarriors to do another FP but between the endless instant kills and headshots I have no experienced warriors any more.

The only 2 things an AI can use to score a headshot kill in one hit are AC20s and melee. One of these has an obvious solution.

Punchin' in this game is super-dangerous and IMO not a good tactic if you're playing serious mode. It very much favors the side with more tonnage, installing melee upgrades doesn't make up for that. Punch-bots are for faffing around. Also best to use your commander as the pilot 'cause you are putting them in harm's way.

Though, speaking of which: has anyone had the AI DFA them in recent memory? The first week I was playing the game I got DFA'd twice in a couple early missions and it was memorably nasty. Hasn't happened since. I've been wondering if they patched the AI to not do it -- it kinda felt extremely cheap for the AI to use what was basically a suicide attack -- or if this was just coincidence.

quote:

e: I'm also pretty sure that the loading tip that says guts skill impacts survival rate is lying

It does, but only by 5% per level (starting from a base chance of 90%). So even a high level pilot is a bit of a coin flip. However, check your difficulty settings and make sure you don't have "lethality" turned on.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It does, but it's like going from 1/100 odds to 1/10. They're basically dead and occasionally there is a miracle. The correct answer is to never let anything over 50t get in to melee range. Anytime you are in there it's like having a AC/20 on the field that you can't damage reduction your way out of. You just got to accept it will happen sometimes and be as prepared as you can to lose any of your pilots forever.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cockpit destruction is 140% chance of death. Lowered by 5% per guts level and further modified by a certain medbay upgrade. I think its 90% chance of death for ct loss at base.

Punch mechs work best with ace pilot and in a mech that starts an initiative level earlier than your target. Run in, punch, then shoot and run.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mostly it's just aggravating seeing it happen three times in a row. The Banshee sure, that'll happen now and then when it inevitably whiffs, but they're hauling rear end to punch the heads off the AC20 bots as well. As big as my boys are they can't one round wipe a lance suicide kicking their way towards the Orions. I'm probably just going to give up and go full sniper just so I have people still alive. It's not like the Cyclops and Double Gauss Crab are going to be doing anything about else.

quote:

Though, speaking of which: has anyone had the AI DFA them in recent memory?

I don't think I've seen them do that the entire campaign now that you mention it.

quote:

Punch mechs work best with ace pilot and in a mech that starts an initiative level earlier than your target. Run in, punch, then shoot and run.

The Ace Pilot was killed when a Griffin kicked him in the face :negative:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 16, 2019

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

See, the thing is with ComStar and FedCom was, at the end of the 4SW ComStar learned that the New Avalon Institute of Science (the premier research institute in the Inner Sphere) had gotten their hands on a copy of the Helm Memory Core, and ComStar poo poo their pants because they knew that the NAIS had the resources to unlock all that technology.

So they disguised a bunch of ComGuards as the Liao Death Commandos and sent them on a suicide run to level the place.

Thing is though, the Death Commandos were accounted for because they had been sent on a mission to sabotage a JumpShip factory, and it was fully known that they were the legitimate Death Commandos because the FedSuns defenders who repelled them then went on to Sian and extracted the top two intelligence officers in the Capellan Confederation... both of whom were actually FedSuns spies, Alexei Malenkov and Justin Xiang-Allard.

Nobody's ever accused Hanse Davion of being dumb, so he was able to put two and two together and realize somebody had just tried to destroy the NAIS and it was NOT the Capellans... so who was it? Kurita would probably never resort to such underhanded tactics, he was married to the heiress to House Steiner and they were his allies, probably not the Free Worlds League...

Then ComStar says "hey everyone we have this military and we want to station garrisons at our HPGs now" and it pretty quickly becomes apparent who did it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Wait so Kurita doesn't do commando raids? I find that hard to believe.

Also I'm surprised that the Comguard failed to torch the NAIS. Arent they cybernetically enhanced murderzombies?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Artificer posted:

Wait so Kurita doesn't do commando raids? I find that hard to believe.

Also I'm surprised that the Comguard failed to torch the NAIS. Arent they cybernetically enhanced murderzombies?

More that Kurita wouldn't go and dress their commando raid up as some other company to try and deflect blame, I think.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Mostly it's just aggravating seeing it happen three times in a row. The Banshee sure, that'll happen now and then when it inevitably whiffs, but they're hauling rear end to punch the heads off the AC20 bots as well. As big as my boys are they can't one round wipe a lance suicide kicking their way towards the Orions. I'm probably just going to give up and go full sniper just so I have people still alive. It's not like the Cyclops and Double Gauss Crab are going to be doing anything about else.

I don't think I've seen them do that the entire campaign now that you mention it.

The Ace Pilot was killed when a Griffin kicked him in the face :negative:

Melee at the level where a revenge strike could head cap you should only be done when you are assured you can kill the target if your own melee attack misses. This is good when you take something like a BLR, SHD or brawly ON1/KGC and need to cool vs a near dead target. If you miss, just plink the target with your other 'Mechs and don't melee as the last turn before the target unit gets to move. I usually have one unit that takes point for a few rounds and I'll rush it up to melee ranges, however the target is usually already dead by the time I get there. Sure, I don't get to be a cool punchbot 3/4ths of the time or worse, but my pilots don't get crushed in to a paste when some punk-rear end HBK thinks he can dome my KGC.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Kurita totally do commando raids but then they would take full credit for it no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah their honor code demands it and plus they like showing off