Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Can a class be overpowered when it can't play with anyone else? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lol I knew somebody would get to 50 real fast in nthan but their world xp bonus must be real for it to have taken under an hour. Too bad the entire zone will be in chaos by the time I'm off work so it probably won't be an option for me.

vvv if you haven't already, look for a quest (there's a version in each starting city) that unlocks ventures and retainer class assignment. It should be near the aetherite. After you do that, ventures is just an option on the retainer menu. You'll have to assign them a class and give them the appropriate level 1 weapon before they can start.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 15, 2019

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
Could someone give me a quick rundown on how I send a retainer out to gather stuff? I have 16 venture coins, but I can't find an option to use them to have my retainer go harvest.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I should level a healer again but if dancer is locked in for healer in 5.0 then I'm probably gonna be rolling that.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

quote:

Congratulations! I’m about past O11S after way too much static drama, and what I’ve seen of O12S, clearing it (or O11S, or even O10S for that matter) is no small feat. Especially without guides. That said, I’d like to say that Alphascape can’t be the best raid tier, because O10S still exists. :shepface:
I even like O10S! It helps that we cleared it in like, maybe a weeks worth of attempts, so we were not on it that long.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Could someone give me a quick rundown on how I send a retainer out to gather stuff? I have 16 venture coins, but I can't find an option to use them to have my retainer go harvest.

There are summoning bells in various places like near market boards, inside the inn, things like that. That's how you assign ventures and equip your retainers.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

As Thundarr says, you need to first give your retainer a job and equipment. Their level cap is limited by your own; if you've only just unlocked Fisher, for instance, their level cap will be 1. Beyond that, their hunting options will fall into three categories: Targeted Exploration (pick a specific level-range specific item to go and grab 10 of, in random normal quality/high quality distribution), Quick Exploration (grabs a random item from their entire level-range, including equipment), and Open Exploration (grabs some random items in a level-range + Allagan coins, good retainer exp, and a chance for some rare minions); Open Exploration is gated by ilvl so you will need to update your retainer's gear.

Disciples of War/Magic can Hunt for wandering monster drops (this is pretty good for Leatherworking and Alchemy in particular).
Miners can Mine for Mining node stuff.
Botanists do Botany for Botany node stuff.
Fishers can Fish for Fishing spot... fish.

Fat Cat, Gestahl, and Odder Otter minions are obtainable by Fishing ventures.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
You don't even need to have a healer to do stuff in N. Thanalan. Just do it yourself!

https://clips.twitch.tv/HyperConfidentNoodleHotPokket

Also the enhanced BLU experience applies to your chocobo, so you too can get 16k birdfriend experience per kill.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

BLU is pretty :krad:. Collecting spells is fun. And after years of having everything nearly maxed out, I actually like having a brand new job that starts from level 1 again.

Also, it looks like chocobros are gaining more EXP than normal when leveling with the boosted BLU EXP, and they're going to make adjustments on the 24th. So in case you want to grind your bird, now is a good time to do it:

quote:

We would like to provide information regarding the increased experience points obtained for your companion than normal, while setting the limited job to blue mage.

Blue mage is a limited job where one must first witness the enemy perform a specific attack in order to “learn” and mimic these actions while also gaining high experience points after defeating these monsters. With this, we have also taken into consideration that players who may not have been actively using their companions may now have an increased opportunity to frequent them. As a result, we have also increased the gained experience points for the companion while setting the limited job as blue mage.

However, as we have currently confirmed the situation, a lot more players than anticipated have been leveling along with their companions, which may affect the overall game balance. As a result, we will be scheduling a Hotfix next week on Jan. 24, in order to implement adjustments.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience in adjustments being implemented after the release, and we thank you for your understanding.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If there is anything I considered breaking balance in this game, its leveling chocobos

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Why on earth would they care if people are leveling chocobo too fast?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Relax Or DIE posted:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Well, guess I have to level BLU now

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

I honestly forget my chocobo exists 99% of the time. They're only ever *slightly* relevant during the opening days of a new expansion, and then they go back into the closet until you try to solo a big nasty achievement fate or something.

I wonder if the onion market is going to blow up.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Relax Or DIE posted:

Yeah :laffo:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, these Ixal quests are profitable. Almost every day there's been at least one materia where 1 Ixal token gives you 5 of them, and each one sells for like 5-8k gil on the MB. Currently I'll pick up 5 of each of the ones that sell for over 2k and throw them on the MB each day, and it's like a "free" 30-50k each day.

That being said, I'll be done with needing the Ixal quests to level soon, since most of my crafters will be 50+ within the next couple days. Finished the 50 BLM quest today.

Speaking of crafting, it feels like 50+ stuff is harder to HQ craft. From 1-50 I would usually have a very high (if not guaranteed) chance to HQ a craft if most/all of my materials were HQ and my gear was up to date vendor stuff, but I can only get up to like ~20-30% even with HQ mats for this Heavensward gear. Not a huge deal, since leveling is still fairly easy with the Moogle quests, but I've just kinda given up on attempting to HQ all my GC turn-ins for 50+ crafters.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rainuwastaken posted:

I honestly forget my chocobo exists 99% of the time. They're only ever *slightly* relevant during the opening days of a new expansion, and then they go back into the closet until you try to solo a big nasty achievement fate or something.

I wonder if the onion market is going to blow up.

wtb: 1 time machine

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Whoever designed that encounter where you save Montblanc from two red chocobos is loving trash. gently caress that stupid encounter. If you do it be sure to bring a raid with you.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of crafting, it feels like 50+ stuff is harder to HQ craft. From 1-50 I would usually have a very high (if not guaranteed) chance to HQ a craft if most/all of my materials were HQ and my gear was up to date vendor stuff, but I can only get up to like ~20-30% even with HQ mats for this Heavensward gear.

HQing even level stuff post-50 becomes a genuine challenge. I'd recommend a HQ MH/OH at a bare minimum, although full HQ gear with materia melds and a high CP food is ideal.

Honestly, though, the hardest part of crafting a lot of the early HW stuff is that several components require ridiculous amounts of materials that are no longer actively being farmed. Void Glue requires 2 Pudding Flesh per, which is either rarely obtained as a drop from one of three level 50 dungeons (meaning you have to do them synced) or as a retainer venture. If you haven't been collecting a lot of it in advance, you could either end up paying out the nose or simply waiting a week to get enough poo poo together to finish the next tier of leves.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Whoever designed that encounter where you save Montblanc from two red chocobos is loving trash. gently caress that stupid encounter. If you do it be sure to bring a raid with you.

The chocobos have a phase where they peck you a whole bunch, and a phase where they cast a couple meteors in a row. Then they go back to pecking you a bunch. Everybody gets really greedy and tries to kill them when they're dedicated to clubbing you with space dust, when you can just wait it out and they go back to being super easy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jimbot posted:

That was probably the first time I died on the overworld, excluding S ranks, since like ARR. It hosed me up fierce.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

The chocobos have a phase where they peck you a whole bunch, and a phase where they cast a couple meteors in a row. Then they go back to pecking you a bunch. Everybody gets really greedy and tries to kill them when they're dedicated to clubbing you with space dust, when you can just wait it out and they go back to being super easy.

Except they give you half a second to get out of the way of the initial meteor. I bound sprint on my middle mouse button just for that worthless encounter and I still got hit by it. So I spend the pecking phase just poking them so I have enough time to get out of the way of the meteor that does half your health and increases your vulnerability.

It's a lovely execution of a decent concept. If they added a second or two to the initial casting time, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

Tank stance on for trash mobs (your healer gets to dps more and their heart won't explode), tank stance off for bosses. Congrats you now know how to tank every dungeon in the game.

If you have a monster dps that won't use their aggro dump, don't be ashamed to turn tank stance back on for a bit on bosses. It sucks and watching them die is really fun, but in the end it just wastes everyone's time.

I renamed myself to pop diversion. So if they die to aggro pull on boss I can just type in party chat

<

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Vermain posted:

HQing even level stuff post-50 becomes a genuine challenge. I'd recommend a HQ MH/OH at a bare minimum, although full HQ gear with materia melds and a high CP food is ideal.

Honestly, though, the hardest part of crafting a lot of the early HW stuff is that several components require ridiculous amounts of materials that are no longer actively being farmed. Void Glue requires 2 Pudding Flesh per, which is either rarely obtained as a drop from one of three level 50 dungeons (meaning you have to do them synced) or as a retainer venture. If you haven't been collecting a lot of it in advance, you could either end up paying out the nose or simply waiting a week to get enough poo poo together to finish the next tier of leves.

There are puddings in Western Coerthas that drop it. Also all the hw recipes are going to be arbitrarily more difficult until you hit level 51 at which case they rever to the norm. Same thing happened in SB.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

There are puddings in Western Coerthas that drop it.

You're thinking of Gelato Flesh, which is the second component of Void Glue. I'm assuming the poster is already at 51, given that they talked about using Heavensward gear.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

A goddamn blemish on my otherwise pristine page. :/

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Except they give you half a second to get out of the way of the initial meteor. I bound sprint on my middle mouse button just for that worthless encounter and I still got hit by it. So I spend the pecking phase just poking them so I have enough time to get out of the way of the meteor that does half your health and increases your vulnerability.

It's a lovely execution of a decent concept. If they added a second or two to the initial casting time, then it wouldn't be a problem.

I did it a few days after CHOCOBO FIESTA, so it was just me there. BLMed it up and didn't get hit by a single meteor, so I don't know what to tell you man. :shrug:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jimbot posted:

Lol

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just did it on chocogeddon morning as a melee and sidestepped the meteors (there were a whole lot of dead casters on the ground when I got there)

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I died about 7 times to random meteors on RDM before I finally lucked out (some random SAM accidentally pulled my second chocobo during his run). After doing the followup cs I saw another RDM die twice after throwing her a couple of pity Verraises. I felt so infuriated about this stupid quest I partied up with her on my SCH and helped her do her chocos.

She still died 3 more times, even with my help.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

I did it a few days after CHOCOBO FIESTA, so it was just me there. BLMed it up and didn't get hit by a single meteor, so I don't know what to tell you man. :shrug:

Well, what can I say. I struggled with it and I think they came down too fast. I think it's overtuned. But it's old news at this point and they'll never change it. For the record, I eventually finished it. Was frustrating but I got it. But I also managed to beat over-tuned MMO encounters before, but it won't change my mind that they were overtuned.

You should vote Republican. They like to laugh at people who struggle with things. You'll fit right at home with them.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 15, 2019

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Saint Freak posted:

You know what you must do (I'm in the same boat)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Wacky Delly posted:

You know what you must do (I'm in the same boat)

Get it to 50 and then be pissed it still doesn't match.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The meteors can be dodged easily if you don't stop moving. Or call out your chocobro and set them on Defender so they take the meteor casts.

Saint Freak posted:

My AST is 64 right now and I just got BLU to 13 this morning. Everything else is 70. Gotta be ready for 5.0!

Jimbot posted:

Well, what can I say. I struggled with it and I think they came down too fast. I think it's over-tuned. But it's old news at this point and they'll never change it. For the record, I eventually finished it. Was frustrating but I got it. But I also managed to beat over-tuned MMO encounters before, but it won't change my mind that they were overtuned.

You should vote Republican. They like to laugh at people who struggle with things. You'll fit right at home with them.

:qq:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Is it time for everyone in the thread to start spamming their BLU glams?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm kind of disappointed that I'm only level 23 and I've learned every field blue mage spell except for the one in Mor Dhona.

It sure feels like, for a class designed around exploration, there aren't really all that many field spells.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jimbot posted:

Lol gently caress off

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Leraika posted:

I'm kind of disappointed that I'm only level 23 and I've learned every field blue mage spell except for the one in Mor Dhona.

It sure feels like, for a class designed around exploration, there aren't really all that many field spells.

I'm not sure why anybody is surprised BLU is being completed so quickly. Blue Magic works in the single player games because you spend the vast majority of your 50+ hour journey collecting spells. Look at FF7, for instance; you get the Enemy Skill materia within the first couple hours of the game, and from then on there's a constant trickle of new spells to learn from up to and including the very last dungeon. You spend a lot of time watching the job grow because you're kinda forced to.

MMOs are fundamentally different. They exist in a state of perpetual endgame, where most players are in no real danger traveling through the world, know most of the zones like the back of their hand, and have enough experience to go, "hmm yeah I remember where that monster skill was used, I'll zip over there." If anything, the relatively small number of field skills actually extends how long it takes to master BLU, because now you have to go faff about in dungeons and trials.

As a point of comparison, imagine if you were playing a mainline FF game and completely held off on interacting with Blue Mage at all until the very end of the game. How long do you really think it would take you to zip around the whole world with the airship and learn every single spell? 'Cause I can't imagine it taking very long at all. This is kinda why I was apprehensive around putting so much focus on the whole learning part of the class fantasy; the vast, vast majority of one's time spent in an MMO is at endgame, when you've gotten all the class unlocks and upgrades. And that makes BLU's whole learning schtick make up a tiny fraction of the time you actually play the job.
:goonsay:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Normal post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I appreciate that they start you off with a very Herculean WoL-ian task beat this kraken to death with a completely ordinary stick. I also appreciated that somebody dragged a megalocrab into the blu pile at the exact moment I equipped the stick because of course they did.