Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bicyclops posted:

Whether or not Bernie or Hillary said "Black lives matter," neither one of them made a successful case for being the Black Lives Matter candidate. It was always something they'd talk about when it got brought up, but it wasn't a center post for their campaigns, in my opinion. It was a continual source of disappointment during the primaries. Weirdly, I think the best Hillary got about it was during the debates with Trump, but it wasn't enough.

I remember them both talking about it quite a lot and usually extensively, both partially getting it right but also both flubbing it in various ways (for example Bernie seemed to think free college was a solution to BLM, like I think he said at one point Mike Brown was shot because there are no jobs, but on the other hand he was routinely meeting with victims of police violence and their families and listening to their concerns and telling them concrete actions). I think they were both learning slowly over the campaign but not fast enough to ever catch up with something like this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thank you Chapo, very cool!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

xrunner posted:

I flew out of ATL last on the 26th and the line started out by the baggage conveyors. It took 1.5 hours. If it’s as long as they say now I can’t even imagine where the line starts.

Yeah man, the video someone posted had it out the atrium and winding around by the train, then back through ticketing in a giant snake. It's loving nuts.

mango sentinel posted:

Im not gonna find the tweet but there's video of the line snaking through the entirety of baggage claim on one side. They probably just used a file photo for the tweet there.

I know the one, and it was the ticketing area, not baggage claim iirc, but it's the same difference.

I'm not saying there aren't stupid lines at the airport, just that that photo was the rough equivalent of the guy on the boat in Boston Harbor shouting "ItTS A BABY FUCKIN' WHALEY, JAY!" when he saw his first sunfish.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 15, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Coredump posted:

The hate against Bernie regarding race has always seemed born of resentment that he ran against Hillary. For instance when Bernie was on Seth Meyers his is quoted as saying:

People looking for something to be mad at Bernie interpreted this as Bernie was speaking of two separate groups. I've always heard it as though the women, Latinos and blacks are PART of the ordinary Americans. I see no separation there. But Bernie got dragged for this quote so there you go.

Political rhetoric doesn't happen in a vacuum, there is social context. "Middle class, ordinary Americans, Real America, etc." are all dogwhistles for white suburbanites used by people in both parties. The sentiment Bernie was going for was fine but this statement could've been worded better.

Also most people who aren't extremely online don't remember interviews with Seth Meyers two years later tbh.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Gort posted:

Not paying the army seems like a poor choice for a leader of a country

It feels really unlikely but a military coup feels so much more possible than it should be.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Retro42 posted:

He’s just good at the confirmation game. He’s not making waves and making himself as boring as possible to get the votes.

Watch Trump not catch on to that and rescind the nomination.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Not emptyquoting.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

evilweasel posted:

but then your only other options for baseload power are natural gas, coal, or what?

a solar plant is a replacement for some gas/coal plants - but not all of them. you just can't replace all of your power grid with wind and solar power and have it work. we have not come anywhere close to replacing enough carbon-emitting power plants to start dealing with this problem, but we're going to need to - and nuclear is the only good option when we get there.

How is the hydropower situation in the US? I know nothern europe is benefiting greatly from being able to use hydropower facilities in Norway and Sweden as energy storage that can pick up the slack when the wind is absent, and the goal seems to be to scale that up further.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Brony Car posted:

Isn't the problem with nuclear the fact that finding a place where people are comfortable with having it is incredibly hard? And that's not even getting started on who wants to be near a nuclear waste site.

Also, the cost of building a plant to all the modern safety specifications and running it competently is high enough that capitalists with short term mentalities (i.e., almost every one of them) start balking.

A summary of sorts. I'm sure there are better articles out there: http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2018/ph241/kuet2/

Anyway, I think nuclear energy is the kind of thing you have to ram down people's throats and even in the US, that's not easy.

capitalists do long-term debt financed projects all the loving time

the major problem with nuclear seems to be that basically nobody's really built nuclear plants for decades so building a new plant is sort of starting from scratch, with all of the likely cost overrun issues. you need a large-scale building process where people settle on a design and commission a bunch of them so building one becomes like building a coal or a gas plant - everyone knows how it's done so there's no costly surprises.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

These guys are going to be doing a great job, I'm sure

"We won't pay you, but please work hard to ensure those much richer than you get theirs"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

They probably call it a rubbish fire.

I'm glad we rebelled.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Coredump posted:

The hate against Bernie regarding race has always seemed born of resentment that he ran against Hillary. For instance when Bernie was on Seth Meyers his is quoted as saying:

No it wasn't. I voted for him, but I always found his answers to BLM questions in debates to be woefully lacking.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Slashrat posted:

How is the hydropower situation in the US? I know nothern europe is benefiting greatly from being able to use hydropower facilities in Norway and Sweden to as energy storage that can pick up the slack when the wind is absent, and the goal seems to be to scale that up further.

highly dependent on local geography, and hydropower dams can gently caress up local ecosystems something fierce. there's a lot of movement towards blowing up a lot of the small hydropower facilities to restore rivers rather than build more.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Can they actually do this?

I mean this is Trump and his crony dipshit's administration, of course they are going to do this. But in a normal legal non-hellworld where government actually loving cares, can they legally do tax returns with no budget in place?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well this year I have a very complicated return because I sold my house for like a $25,000 loss after having to buy a roof for it

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

foobardog posted:

It feels really unlikely but a military coup feels so much more possible than it should be.

Its just the coast guard not the other branches. Still bad but they aren't going to be storming the White Castle.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gort posted:

These guys are going to be doing a great job, I'm sure

"We won't pay you, but please work hard to ensure those much richer than you get theirs"

i could be wrong but i don't think the super-rich get tax rebates that often since they're not earning wages that need to be withheld

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right, but . . . the nuclear plants don't even get built, is the thing

https://www.thestate.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/cindi-ross-scoppe/article171486867.html

My state just blew 9 billion dollars we don't have in what ended up a failed attempt to build a nuclear plant and we don't even have a nuclear plant to show for it.

Meanwhile, bills about solar power are getting debated and blocked:

https://www.thestate.com/opinion/op-ed/article197790769.html

So just in terms of local law, on the one hand, nuclear has been a giant corporate scam, and net metering laws are blocking widespread adoption of solar.

Remove the net metering prohibitions and there would be a LOT more cheap solar in our state, and, like, we'd actually have something to show for it, rather than a failed nuclear boondoggle.

I realize that's just my local state and other policies could be better in other places, but the whole experience has soured me dramatically on nuclear power because I don't trust our corporate oligarchy to implement it. Solar seems more practically possible just because it can be distributed and incremental.

Ehh, we're coastal, maybe we need tidal/hydro power. All I know is that if nuclear is the local answer then there is no local answer because after this debacle nuclear is deader than Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

I understand and that sucks. Hurricane Harvey caused $125 billion in damages. That was just one hurricane in one season. It's going to get way, way worse and more expensive. My point is not that nuclear is perfect. My point is nuclear is our best, cheapest, and only option to prevent insane disaster costs and save lives from the wars that will come.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

No it wasn't. I voted for him, but I always found his answers to BLM questions in debates to be woefully lacking.

Did Hillary do a substantially better job at it in then?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm glad we rebelled.

The UK and USA are both controlled by the same people

Just call Trump "Mr Brexit"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

Can they actually do this?

I mean this is Trump and his crony dipshit's administration, of course they are going to do this. But in a normal legal non-hellworld where government actually loving cares, can they legally do tax returns with no budget in place?

the fund the tax returns come out of isn't subject to appropriations, so that's not illegal. declaring the workers processing refunds are "essential" is, uh, probably stretching the definition of essential to the breaking point but i don't know who would have standing to sue over it, nor do I think a court would decide to step in

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ringu0 posted:

Let me help you with that:
https://twitter.com/OmarJimenezCNN/status/1084808098240516098

This is the line that feeds into the actual normal security line which, as far as I recall, begins right where the escalator ends.

lol, holy poo poo it is baggage claim.

For reference, that guy started walking just outside of Security Line/Area A, which is where the photo I'm complaining about was taken.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ColdPie posted:

I understand and that sucks. Hurricane Harvey caused $125 billion in damages. That was just one hurricane in one season. It's going to get way, way worse and more expensive. My point is not that nuclear is perfect. My point is nuclear is our best, cheapest, and only option to prevent insane disaster costs and save lives from the wars that will come.

I find nuclear advocates seem to ignore solar and the declining price points but continue to insist that it's cheapest despite the rampant cost overruns.

Please read my previous posts about why I'm fine with nuclear though.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Feldegast42 posted:

Its just the coast guard not the other branches. Still bad but they aren't going to be storming the White Castle.

Ah. I didn't remember that. But yeah...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

evilweasel posted:

highly dependent on local geography, and hydropower dams can gently caress up local ecosystems something fierce. there's a lot of movement towards blowing up a lot of the small hydropower facilities to restore rivers rather than build more.

There's always a caveat, isn't there?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Monaghan posted:

I find nuclear advocates seem to ignore solar and the declining price points but continue to insist that it's cheapest despite the rampant cost overruns.

Please read my previous posts about why I'm fine with nuclear though.

Solar is great and we should continue to subsidize it like crazy. But it's not good enough today. Grid storage, land use, and transmission losses are real and unsolved problems for a primarily solar grid. Nuclear is good enough, today, which is when we need to be acting.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The previous IRS actions were likely illegal but since they were using fee income to pay for the recalled workers' salaries most experts said it was very unlikely anyone would have standing to challenge it.

Recalling 46k people and not paying them however is a very very different story. It's like they want to get a court challenge.

evilweasel posted:

the fund the tax returns come out of isn't subject to appropriations, so that's not illegal. declaring the workers processing refunds are "essential" is, uh, probably stretching the definition of essential to the breaking point but i don't know who would have standing to sue over it, nor do I think a court would decide to step in

Wouldn't the employees have standing, since they aren't being paid?

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 15, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Possibly fake, but I can't stop laughing at this:

https://twitter.com/PaulLeeTicks/status/1084971028307013632

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

With nuclear there are a 1000 legal steps to build a plant and you can, and probably will be sued at every one

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Coredump posted:

Did Hillary do a substantially better job at it in then?

Me: Neither candidate made a good case for being the BLM candidate and both were disappointments on that issue.
You: Bernie's failings here were manufactured by Hillary.
Me: No, he was actually bad on this issue.
You: So you're saying Hillary was better?!

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

hey, we go to climate armageddon with the planet we have, not the planet we want

I didn't say there were any good options. I just know nuclear is not an option in my state for the forseeable future. It's solar, maybe some hydro or tidal power, or someone finds unobtainium.
IMO what happens is China starts mass-producing next generation nuclear reactors and eventually the rest of the world starts buying them en masse as the real necessity to decarbonize in the 1990s becomes undeniable (too late to prevent some of the more serious climate change outcomes). There was a unique opportunity for whichever western nation able to reform it's national nuclear industry to become THE supplier for the 21st century's power generation requirements, but now it looks like China will dominate that industry in the same way it's dominated solar panel production.

evilweasel posted:

There's two things: how expensive the power generated by the plant is (price per kilowatt) and the cost of the plant itself. You're talking about the first. What I'm saying is a new coal plant costs billions of dollars - a new natural gas plant costs ~150m. So it's a lot easier to get a natural gas plant shut down because it didn't cost nearly as much to build in the first place, and those coal plants that cost billions are getting shuttered.
I think we're talking past each other, the cost of building new natural gas was approaching the cost of running existing coal plants, and this was driving the closure of coal plants. It's not the relative difficulty of closing a billion vs a hundred-million dollar plant, just a simple business decision over the best way to allocate capital going forward. The marginal cost of operating existing, fully deprecated coal plants was shown on that graph with the golden symbol at ~$36/MWh, and this is getting very close to the levelized total cost for NEW natural gas capacity of between $41-$75/MWh (ie including costs for construction, operation and debt).

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gort posted:

The UK and USA are both controlled by the same people

Just call Trump "Mr Brexit"

What even was Farage and the lunatic UK Right's goal in Brexit? Make the UK a world power again by crippling it economically and severing every major alliance?

What was the real goal? What rich fuckers benefited from this?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's definitely fake, but it's some funny obvious photoshopping.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

What even was Farage and the lunatic UK Right's goal in Brexit? Make the UK a world power again by crippling it economically and severing every major alliance?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/18/rightwing-thinktanks-unveil-radical-plan-for-us-uk-brexit-trade-deal-nhs

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

With nuclear there are a 1000 legal steps to build a plant and you can, and probably will be sued at every one

Nuclear plants take 20+ years to come online.

Solar+Wind+Smart Grid+Store can come on line fast.

If we ran wind turbines from Texas to Canada the issue of store even goes away.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nocturtle posted:

I think we're talking past each other, the cost of building new natural gas was approaching the cost of running existing coal plants, and this was driving the closure of coal plants. It's not the relative difficulty of closing a billion vs a hundred-million dollar plant, just a simple business decision over the best way to allocate capital going forward. The marginal cost of operating existing, fully deprecated coal plants was shown on that graph with the golden symbol at ~$36/MWh, and this is getting very close to the levelized total cost for NEW natural gas capacity of between $41-$75/MWh (ie including costs for construction, operation and debt).

yeah, but my point is that there's people who owned that old coal plant. those people aren't suddenly shifting their money to a new gas plant - someone else invested in a gas plant and is basically wiping out the investors in the coal plants. those investors tried, but failed, to get enough of a bail-out from the most pro-coal administration possible because they didn't want to eat that loss, and well they're eating that loss. why are natural gas investors going to do better at government lobbying?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

TulliusCicero posted:

They’re unbelievably stupid.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Nuclear also is granted completely immunity from any liability claim due to the Price-Anderson Act so please stop with this bullshit narrative that it's them pesky regulations that's killing nuclear.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

capitalists do long-term debt financed projects all the loving time

the major problem with nuclear seems to be that basically nobody's really built nuclear plants for decades so building a new plant is sort of starting from scratch, with all of the likely cost overrun issues. you need a large-scale building process where people settle on a design and commission a bunch of them so building one becomes like building a coal or a gas plant - everyone knows how it's done so there's no costly surprises.

My point is that a lot of governments and investors will ask "if you can get a plant running more easily and with more profit and less legal and political headaches by building gas or coal, why sink more money into making it a nuclear plant? Three Mile Island and bad pop culture killed the attractiveness of nuclear energy for generations and the only way you're going to get more nuclear now is working against widespread popular sentiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Putin's main opposition are the EU and the USA.

Brexit fucks the EU, Trump fucks the USA. Putin benefits.