Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I kinda wish enemies would show a BLU job icon above them if they have an ability you haven't learned yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

When they finally up the Blu level cap to 70 they're going to have some abilities that only appear in Eureka, aren't they.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Thundarr posted:

When they finally up the Blu level cap to 70 they're going to have some abilities that only appear in Eureka, aren't they.

Gimme that Louhi cleave.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along

Hogama posted:

As Thundarr says, you need to first give your retainer a job and equipment. Their level cap is limited by your own; if you've only just unlocked Fisher, for instance, their level cap will be 1. Beyond that, their hunting options will fall into three categories: Targeted Exploration (pick a specific level-range specific item to go and grab 10 of, in random normal quality/high quality distribution), Quick Exploration (grabs a random item from their entire level-range, including equipment), and Open Exploration (grabs some random items in a level-range + Allagan coins, good retainer exp, and a chance for some rare minions); Open Exploration is gated by ilvl so you will need to update your retainer's gear.

Disciples of War/Magic can Hunt for wandering monster drops (this is pretty good for Leatherworking and Alchemy in particular).
Miners can Mine for Mining node stuff.
Botanists do Botany for Botany node stuff.
Fishers can Fish for Fishing spot... fish.

Fat Cat, Gestahl, and Odder Otter minions are obtainable by Fishing ventures.

When I use the summoning bell I have no options to send my retainer out. Just entrust gil, sell stuff, or view sale history. I'm a 15 gatherer, so unless I'm missing something I can't seem to send my retainers out to work the fields.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

When I use the summoning bell I have no options to send my retainer out. Just entrust gil, sell stuff, or view sale history. I'm a 15 gatherer, so unless I'm missing something I can't seem to send my retainers out to work the fields.

You also need to complete a specific quest to unlock Ventures.

quote:

To unlock Retainer Ventures, you must complete the quest The Scions of the Seventh Dawn (Quest) and have hired at least 1 Retainer. players then must complete 1 of 3 level 17 quests in the 3 major cities.

In Limsa Lominsa, players can complete the quest An Ill-conceived Venture (Limsa Lominsa) by talking to Troubled Adventurer in Limsa Lominsa Lower Decks (X9,Y11).

In Gridania, players can complete the quest An Ill-conceived Venture (Gridania) by talking to Troubled Adventurer in New Gridania (X11.8,Y12.2).

In Ul'dah, players can complete the quest An Ill-conceived Venture (Ul'dah) by talking to Troubled Adventurer in Ul'dah - Steps of Nald (X9,Y8).

After unlocking retainer ventures, the market board status in the retainer interface will also display venture status.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
I saw that I needed to complete a quest shortly after posting.

I sent my catgirl out as a botanist to begin gathering. She's out farming lighting crystals so I can use those to make hempen yarn and cotton yarn. Is this the right direction to send her to begin harvesting cotton bolls and moko grass so I can make the yarns?

That stuff is soul crushing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The first step is you go on mogstation and buy a retainer quaff book.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Saint Freak posted:

The first step is you go on mogstation and buy a retainer quaff book.

Doesn't help much if you're not leveled in the job though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

I saw that I needed to complete a quest shortly after posting.

I sent my catgirl out as a botanist to begin gathering. She's out farming lighting crystals so I can use those to make hempen yarn and cotton yarn. Is this the right direction to send her to begin harvesting cotton bolls and moko grass so I can make the yarns?

That stuff is soul crushing.

Up to like level 15 recipes, most materials are sold by NPCs, cotton/moko grass definitely is.

To level the retainer, the 18h ventures are the highest XP/venture but, well, 18 hours. Quick ventures (2 ventures/1h) after you get some levels/gear should be more XP/time (they can also bring you worthless fish though) but also cost the most ventures. The safe option is sending the botanist to the highest level venture that takes 1 token per hour, or send them to fetch specific items you want to sell or use.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Northern Thanalan is currently this, except with an rear end in a top hat ghost who won't teach me Loom:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Low level BLU is basically just "1,000 Needles *is* my Limit Break motherfucker!".

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You spit fish at people as a Blue Mage?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Jimbot posted:

Yeah. Flying Sardine from the little penguin looking fuckers south of Costa Del Sol. It's an instant silence with no CD.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jimbot posted:

They can learn how to spit sardines from apkallu, yes. (1s silence)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Found a nice little spot away from N than and hit 50 pretty fast. Been fun gathering abilities but I wish they weren't RNG acquirement. Not looking forward to grinding long rear end dungeons to get to the specific mobs. Got mind blast on the first try at least.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I only played a little bit, but... I kinda wish the XP gains were not quite so crazy for BLU.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Mango Polo posted:

I only played a little bit, but... I kinda wish the XP gains were not quite so crazy for BLU.

Well, getting to 50 is just the first step. Gotta farm those trials for spells, and do the Carnival.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not sure I understand the point of Blue Mage. You can't use it for quests or dungeons, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Found a nice little spot away from N than and hit 50 pretty fast. Been fun gathering abilities but I wish they weren't RNG acquirement. Not looking forward to grinding long rear end dungeons to get to the specific mobs. Got mind blast on the first try at least.

Honestly I don't think many are behind dungeons. You can get some EARLIER that way but the Chimera trial works instead of Cutters' Cry .

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
The best reply I could farm off reddit for why people would care if chocobos leveled quick was thavian onions and their price or now scarcity.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Pay out the rear end for onions so that your chocobo can go from ignorable to still ignorable.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not sure I understand the point of Blue Mage. You can't use it for quests or dungeons, right?

Being loving awesome. I have a combo that is "Cover myself in oil, use self-destruct.".

You might say "Doesn't that kill you?". Yes.

Yes it does.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Its just a side activity to grind on and gently caress with until Shadowbringers comes out

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saint Freak posted:

Pay out the rear end for onions so that your chocobo can go from ignorable to still ignorable but wearing armour

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Mulva posted:

Being loving awesome. I have a combo that is "Cover myself in oil, use self-destruct.".

You might say "Doesn't that kill you?". Yes.

Yes it does.

You say 'Self Destruct', I say 'Return II'.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I always have my chocobo out because I'm always leveling something

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Putting four abilities in Dragon's Neck / Big Keep was a pretty good way to make the queues for those duties not be infinity. At least for the next week or so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Putting four abilities in Dragon's Neck / Big Keep was a pretty good way to make the queues for those duties not be infinity. At least for the next week or so.

BLU can't queue so it doesn't really impact that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh yeah. It was a nice thought I guess.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've pretty much never used any other mount than my chocobo, and I always have it with me when I'm soloing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FactsAreUseless posted:

Some might call Blue Mage a fun side activity to burn out on in a month until new content comes out.

Others might say “you just described an MMO”.

The point of Blue Mage is mostly Masked Carnivale and the fun of Catching Em All.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

As someone that has done the 1-20 chocobo grind I support any sort of way to not make anyone else go through that huge pain in the rear end.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

blu ftw eureka ftw fight me haters!!!!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

staplegun posted:

As someone that has done the 1-20 chocobo grind I support any sort of way to not make anyone else go through that huge pain in the rear end.

It's not as bad if you stable your bird at a goon house while you're offline. But this is definitely a good time to get a big boost in bird EXP to ease that grind.

Dryzen posted:

I also enjoy things that I enjoy!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
interrupting blu chat for a minute to say: seiryu's spine is a cool as heck sword and also matches the new glam i put together

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dryzen posted:

dope

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

interrupting blu chat for a minute to say: seiryu's spine is a cool as heck sword and also matches the new glam i put together

also dope

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'm not sure why anybody is surprised BLU is being completed so quickly.

Oh, no, I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. My point of contention is that there's way more dungeon/trial skills than there are field-obtainable spells, which feels a little sad considering the restrictions on BLU entering duties and the fact (or that my impression was) that BLU was meant to encourage exploration.

Cabbit posted:

You say 'Self Destruct', I say 'Return II'.

Fun fact, that's exactly what my group used it for while we were farming L5 Petrify. Stuck in the basement? Explode! Sentry doesn't drop the skill? Explode and try again!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

This is good

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Leraika posted:

Oh, no, I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. My point of contention is that there's way more dungeon/trial skills than there are field-obtainable spells, which feels a little sad considering the restrictions on BLU entering duties and the fact (or that my impression was) that BLU was meant to encourage exploration.

Ah, fair enough. I get the feeling their use of the word "exploration" meant more like they wanted people to search through the whole of ARR content and find where the skills could come from. Unfortunately they forgot that they're dealing with nerds, and so of course we knew where every single skill came from before the servers were even up.

Explore your friends list and find people that will run old ARR stuff with you! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

What’s the glam pieces? This is fly as gently caress.