Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Dagen H posted:

I tried to do this by logging onto an automotive forum, but welp

P.much. I killed off a vast majority of my friends list on Facebook because of politi-chat. Things were getting insane to the point of "Stubbed my toe and here's why it's (opposite side political figures)'s fault!" I had to make sure it wasn't The Onion. I miss the non-affordable internet where people that were using it were enthusiasts genuinely chatting to share knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Internet was a mistake.
At the very least, it's a two-edged sword. On the one hand: massive access to knowledge! On the other hand: massive access to (other) idiots!

edit: but, yeah, that's why most of my time is spent here, in AI.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

McDonald Trump lmao

Oh god that's perfect, I hope it sticks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Liquid Communism posted:

Probably gonna skip the Supra, unless they've changed the interior dimensions a bit. They look real fun, and I like the body styling other than the roof tits, but I have yet to find a Toyota that's comfortable for my height.

good news: its a bmw

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

The Internet was a mistake.
At the very least, it's a two-edged sword. On the one hand: massive access to knowledge! On the other hand: massive access to (other) idiots!

Tim Berners-Lee should be tried for his crimes against humanity.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

At the very least, it's a two-edged sword.

Absolutely. I say all the time that it's a double-edged sword. On the up-side, you can find anything you want... On the down-side, you can find anything you want.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

keykey posted:

I miss the non-affordable internet where people that were using it were enthusiasts genuinely chatting to share knowledge.

drat poors ruin everything.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Finally spent some time looking at the new Supra and reading about it. People sure are mad, but I think it is pretty neat outside of the auto-only option. Manual would be cool, double clutch would be better. The price point seems quite reasonable given how so many other cars are shooting up into unobtainable price points. As a ~$50K car I can't say it is bad. The interior and seats look like a nice place to be.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I just farted with my headphones in, in the middle of the engineering commons. Unsure whether it made a sound or if anyone noticed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Good luck UK goons. Looks like it's gonna be full train wreck Brexit

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

keykey posted:

Absolutely. I say all the time that it's a double-edged sword. On the up-side, you can find anything you want... On the down-side, you can find anything you want.

Or don't want.

Suburban Dad posted:

Not so much that, I think, as a low cost of entry to a thing reduces the perceived value. You might have noticed the lack of quality in other forums that don't charge admission, unlike our own.
Let's just go with "people who are uneducated, and may be poor largely due to lack of education but prefer to spread their uneducated views around rather than using the Internet to educate themselves"?
Could just be stupid, too. Financial bearing and education don't seem to help that at all. Actually, I guess unwillingness or inability to learn *would* be stupidity, by definition.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Adiabatic posted:

I just farted with my headphones in

odd way to stifle a fart

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What in the hell is happening in this world?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's super weird how all the people with the non-trashbag opinions on life, politics, and how to treat other people have no problem discussing those topics.

And then there's a whole other side that, weirdly, finds it repellent to have to read mean words written about the things the party they support does.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Whelp, good luck with that :britain:

Hopefully it won't be as bad as the doomsayers are saying?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Darchangel posted:

What in the hell is happening in this world?

Two preeminent countries vying for the title of "biggest fall in stature and status in history."

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's super weird how all the people with the non-trashbag opinions on life, politics, and how to treat other people have no problem discussing those topics.

And then there's a whole other side that, weirdly, finds it repellent to have to read mean words written about the things the party they support does.

But I mean, both sides amirite

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

First world problem:

I ordered a new top-of-the-line Whirlpool range. It was delivered today, went to connect the cord and the neutral connector is broken off. Fortunately the connectors are on its own little removable module, took it to Lowes. They told me to go to an electrical supply house, or call the 800 number and request a new range. I asked them if they had a floor model.

Until today, they literally never had a customer suggest pilfering parts off the floor model. Once it was suggested, they had no issues and helped me swap the parts. 5 minutes later, and a drive home, I'm back in business.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Back when I worked retail many, many years ago that was totally the norm with a big item. They'd just claim warranty with the manufacturer against that unit instead of yours.

Glad to see a big box store still doing that instead of making you bring it back to return it or some god drat thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Modus Man posted:

I am going to be building my own house, and I posted our home brewed floor plan in DIY. The more criticism the merrier. It will have nice garage at 30x40 plus room for storage. Gotta have that room for when I eventually buy a "fun" car.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879253&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post491670277

Threw in my .02 fwiw

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

How is clickspring so great? I just watched a 20 minute video on various ideas for ancient layout fluids and enjoyed every second.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fender Anarchist posted:

How is clickspring so great? I just watched a 20 minute video on various ideas for ancient layout fluids and enjoyed every second.

You and me both.

Blew my mind a bit when he did that video showing how small of a workspace he does all of this in.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

slidebite posted:

Back when I worked retail many, many years ago that was totally the norm with a big item. They'd just claim warranty with the manufacturer against that unit instead of yours.

Glad to see a big box store still doing that instead of making you bring it back to return it or some god drat thing.

Don't get me wrong - their first suggestion was to report it as DOA and have me wait on them to order another range. Which is crazy because it's literally on a module held in by two Phillips screws.

I literally watched their mouths fall open when I suggested scavenging the display. A couple of beats later, they acted like it was the best idea ever and helped me.

I've already shot the store manager a thank you email.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

slidebite posted:

Whelp, good luck with that :britain:

Hopefully it won't be as bad as the doomsayers are saying?

There is the glimmer of hope that the whole thing might be called off.

You cling onto this sliver of salvation in much the same way as if you were a country with a terrible leader who was clinically obese and you learnt that he thought 'fine dining' was high chloresterol fast food.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

I'm not sure that's a bad thing, the BMW turbo 6s have a lot of tuning potential in them, I'm not sure Toyota have anything on hand that would be more appropriate for a new Supra.
BMW's lovely cooling systems mean at least in Australia you see plenty of them on the side of the road with the bonnet up during summer.

I guess one advantage is that there are far more Toyota dealerships than BMW.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

:rip: Britannia

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Modus Man posted:

I am going to be building my own house, and I posted our home brewed floor plan in DIY. The more criticism the merrier. It will have nice garage at 30x40 plus room for storage. Gotta have that room for when I eventually buy a "fun" car.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879253&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post491670277

Where I live at least a big rear end nice house with 8’ ceilings would get a lot of wtf type reactions. Here it’d be 9’ minimum and most places that large would have some 10’-12’ somewhere (great room, master, whatever).

Single vanity in the master would also get weird looks.

I like the layout. My house is exactly the same size but yours is better laid out. I like the defined entryway, mud room, and I think your kitchen/living/dining arrangement is way better than mine.

One thing that I think I want in my next house is the stove top to be in the island just because cooking can frequently be a social activity so it’s nice to be facing the living area rather than staring at a wall, but maybe that’s just me.

Is the basement going to be finished?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Darchangel posted:

Not so much that, I think, as a low cost of entry to a thing reduces the perceived value.

Darchangel hit the nail on the head. When the internet first hit our area, it was 1994, at the time access was considered a "subscription" and not a "service" and certainly not anywhere near "human right" territory. I had just started going to our local JC and was working part-time, probably making somewhere around $500 a month and still living at home. Then a friend of mine told me about a world-wide sort of connected bbs system. We went down and plunked down $100 for a startup fee and $180 a month for 40 hours of internet access ($4.50/hr). Everything at that time was essentially measured/spared for when we got to use our online time and we didn't use it unless we either had hours to spare or really needed to. The startup was 1/2 my monthly take-home but completely worth it because of the amount of instantly available information. The next month I upgraded to a 28.8 modem which made things 2x faster so I could maximize my internet time/money/output. Then the price dropped in Jan 95 to $150, around the middle of the year it became unlimited hours and I thought, "OH MAN! THAT'S AWESOME!" Then the "everyday" person started getting on around 99 which was great because more people to share ideas with and learn from. Then the real everyday people started using it and it turned into what it is today. Times used to be simpler, man.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Two preeminent countries vying for the title of "biggest fall in stature and status in history."

An insane game of “hold my beer”.

Shut up Meg posted:

There is the glimmer of hope that the whole thing might be called off.

You cling onto this sliver of salvation in much the same way as if you were a country with a terrible leader who was clinically obese and you learnt that he thought 'fine dining' was high chloresterol fast food.

I think I see what you did there, and we should be so lucky.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If it makes anyone feel better, Theresa May's defeat this evening is historic in that it's the single biggest defeat in the past 100 years in Westminster. This following on from the government being found in contempt of parliament a mere month ago for not publishing full brexit legal advice.

GRATE BRITAN

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Modus Man posted:

Awesome, I love these threads. If I ever dig out from mortgage + med loans + daycare, I totally have poo poo I wanna build.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

keykey posted:

I can put up with idiots in exchange for being able to find a video tutorial of drat near anything I would ever want to know how to do in ten minutes. I remember what it was like trying to learn obscure poo poo like armor making back in the 1990's, when you had to know somebody who knew how or find a library with a rare usually out of print for decades book that had the info.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

keykey posted:

Darchangel hit the nail on the head. When the internet first hit our area, it was 1994, at the time access was considered a "subscription" and not a "service" and certainly not anywhere near "human right" territory. I had just started going to our local JC and was working part-time, probably making somewhere around $500 a month and still living at home. Then a friend of mine told me about a world-wide sort of connected bbs system. We went down and plunked down $100 for a startup fee and $180 a month for 40 hours of internet access ($4.50/hr). Everything at that time was essentially measured/spared for when we got to use our online time and we didn't use it unless we either had hours to spare or really needed to. The startup was 1/2 my monthly take-home but completely worth it because of the amount of instantly available information. The next month I upgraded to a 28.8 modem which made things 2x faster so I could maximize my internet time/money/output. Then the price dropped in Jan 95 to $150, around the middle of the year it became unlimited hours and I thought, "OH MAN! THAT'S AWESOME!" Then the "everyday" person started getting on around 99 which was great because more people to share ideas with and learn from. Then the real everyday people started using it and it turned into what it is today. Times used to be simpler, man.

A current example is probably how the :10bux: entry to here means people value their accounts more than other places -ish

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

bolind posted:

You know that feeling when you're stretched so thin at work that even if there were three of you, you'd still have your hands full? And you're not even 33% efficient because of context switch overhead.

In situations like these it would be real nice if coworkers could think for themselves (looking at you, Shanghai office) instead of passing the lukewarm turd around for a month in an email thread with a steadily growing recipient list. I'm sure CC'ing more people will surely solve the problem.

Fortunately, a new gig has opened up, and I'm a thin blonde one from signing. poo poo's gonna implode without me here, but that's not really my concern. My only complaint is that I'll likely miss out on a sweeeet severance package, but gently caress sticking around for that.

Its the same with me- I finish up in my current role end of Jan and start in a new role, within a new department on the 4th of Feb. Its suddenly dawned on my management whats going to happen when I go- They loose their best plant operator, their mechanic, their plumber, their welder, their fabricator, their fabricobler.... None of my workmates have the same skills that I do, and they freely admit it.

So they've lined my next few weeks up with this absolute parade of broken poo poo and utter clusterfucks to try and get everything fixed before I leave. Its not going to work. I spent a day and a half replacing a fuel tank in a skid steer loader- That was a job that was quoted at nearly $2K in labour alone....

Cant wait to see the end of this. I love the work that I do and the variety of it, I have some absolutely fantastic workmates who are practically family who im going to miss like hell, but I'm going to be so glad to see the back of the absolute sheer incompetence and infighting that my upper management is comprised of.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

I can put up with idiots in exchange for being able to find a video tutorial of drat near anything I would ever want to know how to do in ten minutes. I remember what it was like trying to learn obscure poo poo like armor making back in the 1990's, when you had to know somebody who knew how or find a library with a rare usually out of print for decades book that had the info.

Oh, absolutely. So much poo poo you had to know the right people, or happen to find the right articles in magazines, or books, or ads for books in the right magazines. That said, I did kind of enjoy researching stuff in the Library - I'm kind of sad I don't go to the Library hardly at all any more - but I really dig watching all the DIYers on YouTube and write-ups elsewhere, and learning from their mistakes.
I mean, I've been zinc electroplating bolts without having to give Caswell Plating $100 thanks to the Internet! Also learned about electrolytic rust removal.
Kicks rear end.

freelop posted:

A current example is probably how the :10bux: entry to here means people value their accounts more than other places -ish

That's exactly what I was alluding to. :10bux: isn't much, but it's just enough to be skin in the game. FWIW, I've definitely gotten at least $10 value out of this forum.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Its the same with me- I finish up in my current role end of Jan and start in a new role, within a new department on the 4th of Feb. Its suddenly dawned on my management whats going to happen when I go- They loose their best plant operator, their mechanic, their plumber, their welder, their fabricator, their fabricobler.... None of my workmates have the same skills that I do, and they freely admit it.

So they've lined my next few weeks up with this absolute parade of broken poo poo and utter clusterfucks to try and get everything fixed before I leave. Its not going to work. I spent a day and a half replacing a fuel tank in a skid steer loader- That was a job that was quoted at nearly $2K in labour alone....

Cant wait to see the end of this. I love the work that I do and the variety of it, I have some absolutely fantastic workmates who are practically family who im going to miss like hell, but I'm going to be so glad to see the back of the absolute sheer incompetence and infighting that my upper management is comprised of.

Don't you hate when you like/love a job, but management spoils it? Sorry that you had to nope out to make it better. Could've been worse - you could have become management! :) (Not always the worst thing, though.)

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Darchangel posted:

Don't you hate when you like/love a job, but management spoils it? Sorry that you had to nope out to make it better. Could've been worse - you could have become management! :) (Not always the worst thing, though.)

My management team just decided to change how on-call is handled, to the point that I'm going to be on-call once every 4 weeks. They haven't really considered that that equates to being unable to leave town or be more than 15 minutes from getting to my laptop for OVER ONE QUARTER OF THE YEAR. For a whole $2000 extra.

Don't you hate it when you order some specialized parts from an online company that you really need to get your build done, at the cost of over a thousand bucks, and they don't bother providing anything resembling a delivery date? Just nothing at all other than an e-mail receipt?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Prong Song posted:

My management team just decided to change how on-call is handled, to the point that I'm going to be on-call once every 4 weeks. They haven't really considered that that equates to being unable to leave town or be more than 15 minutes from getting to my laptop for OVER ONE QUARTER OF THE YEAR. For a whole $2000 extra.

At least you're getting something for it.

I worked for about a year and a half as a computer janitor at a call center (protip: never work for a company that runs call centers, in any capacity - they're universally terrible) that had a one week a month on call rotation. Didn't matter how much time you ended up working after hours or over the weekend - you never saw an extra dime and the concept of "flex time" (naturally this was a low-paid salary position) was entirely anathema to management. One weekend I ended up working from 1 AM Saturday morning until that evening, and then again on Sunday (pretty much worked all but about 8 hours of the weekend) because a program manager turned a few hundred call agents with zero training loose on a new program and offloaded support onto IT before turning her phone off and ignoring all emails. So the phone started ringing a half hour after they started taking calls, and never really stopped either day until 6 or 7 PM.

Management was flummoxed when I took that Monday off because I hadn't had more than four hours of uninterrupted sleep in the past three days.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geoj posted:

At least you're getting something for it.

One of the defining factors of me never doing tech work in silicon valley past an internship is in CA, tech workers are salary exempt meaning companies are able to pay 60k a year and not a dime more including overtime. It's a super dick move that obviously has roots in SV lobbyists and for all intents and purpose means base to mid-level tech workers are always in the poverty category for the area. I honestly have no idea how/why people even consider working in that shithole, especially with the price of everything moving to levels of unobtainium.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I am in a strange position because my company is super chill, I work on whatever and get it done, and if they were to try to be lovely with me i can say gently caress it and go get 30k per year more somewhere else and they would have to shutter the projects I work on since most other developers with my skills and experience would not be willing to be paid what I’m paid when other companies are offering them more :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh this is delightful.

My boss was very nonchalant about my resignation, said he was kind of expecting it and it was a very relaxed reaction. I asked him to make the official announcement but it's been half a week and nothing yet so I've just started discretely telling some co-workers that I'll no longer be working here soon.

The looks of absolute panic and the few seconds of silence as they process this new information have been wonderful.