Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Harrow posted:

Yeah, maybe that's what I was missing--maybe I wanted to get to know Aaron as a character more. There's a lot hinted at beneath the surface for him and I think that's what I wanted to see more of.

I think it's a mark of a good movie if it makes you care so much about a character with comparatively little focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
This movie won the golden globe for best animated film! Sicknasty!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Saw it this afternoon with my family, enjoyed it. Could have done without the lone adult Spider-Woman being teased as the love interest, but it was fun.

Spider-Noir was my favorite of the Spiders despite how little time he had, I wish they'd done a bit more with the blatantly clashing art styles and each character bringing their own style and artistic rules with them.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 15, 2019

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Saw it this afternoon with my family, enjoyed it. Could have done without the lone adult Spider-Woman being teased as the love interest, but it was fun.

Spider-Noir was my favorite of the Spiders despite how little time he had, I wish they'd done a bit more with the blatantly clashing art styles and each character bringing their own style and artistic rules with them.

They teased it because Miles and Gwen have had a relationship in the comics. They're probably setting it up for that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cythereal posted:

Peni and Gwen are roughly the same age (Gwen is 16, and Peni is at least 14)

The only adults we see in the movie are the Peters (B., Prime, Noir and Porker)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zore posted:

Peni and Gwen are roughly the same age (Gwen is 16, and Peni is at least 14)

The only adults we see in the movie are the Peters (B., Prime, Noir and Porker)

If I remember, they say Gwen is only just older than Miles, and Miles is 13 in this film.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The_Doctor posted:

If I remember, they say Gwen is only just older than Miles, and Miles is 13 in this film.

I thought he was 15 and she was ten months older.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The age for 8th grade in America is usually 13-14 years old.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zore posted:

I thought he was 15 and she was ten months older.

Pretty sure she said 15 months older.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m half surprised they didn’t get My Chemical Romance to do a song for Peni Parker.

And sticking with the music theme; I’d really like to see Spider Punk in the next one. Another black Spider-Man for Miles to look up to would be cool. He’d be a bad influence on him.

Also, I just realized Miles and Gwen’s dads are both cops.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neopie posted:

This movie won the golden globe for best animated film! Sicknasty!

Honestly I would say it was The Most Animated Film! I loving loved it as someone who doesn't see animated films regularly! It is up there with Gundam Thunderbolt as far as my favorite animated movies are concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWXPIfSI6ZE

Nestorix
Aug 3, 2006

exotic particles

Works surprisingly well in Lego too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0QePjY2KlM

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I was wondering about when this movie takes place and Miles' test is dated Decembruary 18, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

I was wondering about when this movie takes place and Miles' test is dated Decembruary 18, 2018

Well, obviously.

The weather's much too nice for Smarch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was implied to be around Christmas with the song and snow in the forest scenes, but they didn't dwell on it.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

hiddenriverninja posted:

When Peni whacks Scorpion with the robo leg like it ain't no thang, is it because she has spider strength or because it's an anime trope?

Peni's only power in the comics is the psychic link to her spider. She has spider-sense as well in this movie, though, so who knows.

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s super cute. Mine would be a universe where he caught the robber, and stayed a wrestler. All the villains become wrestlers too.

I think there's a what if? that basically has this premise.

Open Marriage Night posted:

And sticking with the music theme; I’d really like to see Spider Punk in the next one. Another black Spider-Man for Miles to look up to would be cool. He’d be a bad influence on him.

That could be interesting with him being essentially an alternative universe Prowler.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Harrow posted:

Yeah, maybe that's what I was missing--maybe I wanted to get to know Aaron as a character more. There's a lot hinted at beneath the surface for him and I think that's what I wanted to see more of.

I agree a lot, and I could see another universe with these characters where Aaron finds out about Miles being Spiderman without dying and ends up trying to mentor him a bit in superpowered fighting the way it's implied he gave him some basic fighting lessons during their initial meeting.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 19, 2019

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

fractalairduct posted:

Peni's only power in the comics is the psychic link to her spider. She has spider-sense as well in this movie, though, so who knows.

Maybe it's actually the spider that has the spider-sense.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

fractalairduct posted:

Noir can't webswing in the comics; he only sprays a black silk-like web from his hands, with little control over it. Safe to say the movie took the liberty of saying that all Spider-People have more-or-less a baseline set of powers, with the exception of a few outliers (like Miles)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

fractalairduct posted:

I think there's a what if? that basically has this premise.

Other than the villains becoming wrestlers, yeah. It's the same comic that gave us the caped Spider-Man costume that they show in the movie.

The idea was that Spider-Man stopped the robber, mainly because he knew it would be good publicity for him. Without learning any lessons, he became a big name in the entertainment industry and that put him at odds with Jameson (who was distraught at the death of his astronaut son and driven to bring down this undeserving figure that everyone idolized). The two took part in a media war that ruined Jameson, so he tried to get his revenge by starting up the Sinister Six and going after Parker. Seeing Jameson as an angry shell of a man made Parker realize the big lesson about responsibility, albeit much later.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It should have been about the wrestling. Written in kayfabe like the WWE comics.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The only minor bummer I have about the movie was that the voice actor from the 90s cartoon (Christopher Barnes) didn't voice anyone in this. Guy's voiced a variety of Spider-Men since, and he's certainly got... uh, range.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMk-HPBF6Mw

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LadyPictureShow posted:

The only minor bummer I have about the movie was that the voice actor from the 90s cartoon (Christopher Barnes) didn't voice anyone in this. Guy's voiced a variety of Spider-Men since, and he's certainly got... uh, range.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMk-HPBF6Mw

They had to save some stuff for the sequels.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“Why’s he so weirdly buff?”
“Damned if I know. Blame the 90s.”

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The_Doctor posted:

“Why’s he so weirdly buff?”
“Damned if I know. Blame the 90s.”

That's easy; he's clearly just 'roided the gently caress out.
The 'symbiote made me more aggressive' excuse was just clever PR.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoS74R-qKIY&t=39s

I'm still in love with this movie, and this clip has been posted before, but I can't believe I never noticed his shoes are tied.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Wait, I thought someone said his one shoe wasn't during that? I'm confused!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

We Still Need to Talk About Spider-Man's Feet

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Martman posted:

We Still Need to Talk About Spider-Man's Feet

I feel that the recent PS4 game really captured the essence of Spider-foots: https://imgur.com/gallery/tmKhPQZ

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I feel that the recent PS4 game really captured the essence of Spider-foots: https://imgur.com/gallery/tmKhPQZ

This is heartbreaking, Spider-man looks so drat ashamed.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

"Bring me pictures! Pictures of Spider-Man's feet" -

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Next Spider-Man film directed by Tarantino confirmed

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The_Doctor posted:

Next Spider-Man film directed by Tarantino confirmed

There have been three Spider-man reboots in the time since the last Tarantino movie with a gratuitous foot shot in it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dunno if it’s already been posted here, but check out some early storyboards!

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/alberto-mielgos-early-boards-for-spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-are-truly-amazing-169521.html

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I'm guessing the IMAX 3D master of this was finished a fair while before the 2D regular version because there are a bunch of missing lines in it, mostly towards the end. Peter only says "Oh, right" instead of "Oh, right, I forgot about her" after Miles appears in the Doc Ock fight. During the What's Up Danger sequence, Aunt May only says 'they fit perfectly' instead of 'I made them myself, they fit perfectly' and Miles doesn't shout "Kingpin!" when the showdown begins at the end. I think there was an earlier change, too, but I can't remember it exactly.

In all the interviews and material about the making of this movie it's mentioned a few times that the whole process was incredibly fluid, and Jake Johnson and Shameik Moore were recording lines on and off for years, including I think right up until very close to release, so I guess it's not surprising there could be differences. At first I thought it might've been the sound channels in the theatre malfunctioning but that doesn't really make sense. Looks incredible with that laser IMAX tech, by the way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

There have been three Spider-man reboots in the time since the last Tarantino movie with a gratuitous foot shot in it.

So like 8 months or what

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kalko posted:

I'm guessing the IMAX 3D master of this was finished a fair while before the 2D regular version because there are a bunch of missing lines in it, mostly towards the end. Peter only says "Oh, right" instead of "Oh, right, I forgot about her" after Miles appears in the Doc Ock fight. During the What's Up Danger sequence, Aunt May only says 'they fit perfectly' instead of 'I made them myself, they fit perfectly' and Miles doesn't shout "Kingpin!" when the showdown begins at the end. I think there was an earlier change, too, but I can't remember it exactly.

In all the interviews and material about the making of this movie it's mentioned a few times that the whole process was incredibly fluid, and Jake Johnson and Shameik Moore were recording lines on and off for years, including I think right up until very close to release, so I guess it's not surprising there could be differences. At first I thought it might've been the sound channels in the theatre malfunctioning but that doesn't really make sense. Looks incredible with that laser IMAX tech, by the way.

IMAX cuts of movies are sometimes shorter since there's a hard limit on how long an IMAX movie can be, iirc. They might have trimmed a few lines to keep the runtime on target.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ah I didn't know that, but I don't think that's what happened here. The scenes were still there and the same length, there were just a few lines missing.

Speaking of IMAX, I was thinking how great it would have been to catch Interstellar on it, and sure enough after randomly browsing the Melbourne sessions list (where I saw Spiderverse) there is a single session of it later this week. Is this something IMAX theatres do in general? Do they re-screen older movies from some sort of IMAX's Greatest Hits collection?

Unfortunately I don't actually live in Melbourne so I've only seen a few IMAX sessions in my life, but drat, if I did live there I think I'd visit every week.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kalko posted:

Speaking of IMAX, I was thinking how great it would have been to catch Interstellar on it, and sure enough after randomly browsing the Melbourne sessions list (where I saw Spiderverse) there is a single session of it later this week. Is this something IMAX theatres do in general? Do they re-screen older movies from some sort of IMAX's Greatest Hits collection?

Unfortunately I don't actually live in Melbourne so I've only seen a few IMAX sessions in my life, but drat, if I did live there I think I'd visit every week.

On occasion, yeah they do. I know I caught a screening on Tron Legacy at the imax several months after it came out.

Spider-verse would probably get a rerelease if it won the Oscar. It might even get one for being nominated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I finally saw this today. Never really cared about superhero stuff but everyone raving about the animation sucked me in. Turns out it's maybe the greatest visual experience I've ever had. Anyway that's my book report.