Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i just give my baby the keyboard she manages to search for random strings and open lots and lots of tabs i figure im good

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://wagwalking.com/

quote:

Trusted Dog Walkers in Your Area
First Walk Free!

Millions of Walks and Counting
Trust & Safety
:words:

How many of these Uber-esque startups are there? If anyone has a list I'm genuinely curious.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Pooky posted:

https://wagwalking.com/

How many of these Uber-esque startups are there? If anyone has a list I'm genuinely curious.

Here's a list with almost 1,500 of them, dunno how up to date and comprehensive this is though.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Eh, between NoScript, a user-agent spoofer (changed up now and then), first-party isolation, automatic cookie deletion and occasional manual cache clearing, a canvas-fingerprint spoofer, and a good VPN (endpoint changed now and then when I feel like it), I doubt I could fool the FBI but at least it's hard for lovely Youtube recommendations to follow me around.

Every now and then I'll discover something new leaking out. I learned about canvas fingerprinting when my cell phone company's webpage kept greeting me with a cheerful "Hi, [firstname]!" despite all my usual tricks.

You've got me on the screen size thing, though. It's me, I'm the guy running 1920x1080.

if you post on these forums you should be running noscript anyway because lowtax is too depressed to stop people putting viruses in banner ads

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me. Only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our life styles are probably comparable, I simply am not there.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Farm Frenzy posted:

if you post on these forums you should be running noscript anyway because lowtax is too depressed to stop people putting viruses in banner ads

he needs to grow a spine and stand up to them

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

If we start dying young enough maybe employers will switch back to pensions instead of contributing to a 401k.

actually they’ll just cut both

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

If we start dying young enough maybe employers will switch back to pensions instead of contributing to a 401k.

actually they’ll just cut both

They'll just keep increasing vesting periods.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Goon Island: The Startup

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
My wife just redeemed $100 in gift card credit because she went to the doctor and her insurance is partnered with Rally Rewards which gives you money for hitting certain health goals and doing preventive care (thus saving the insurance company money in the long run)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

i found out what they do

it's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qeWKH1gVGc

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
In my experience, Adblock works best with the huge advertisers, but with low tier less prominent media websites it's all over the page with free to play game ads.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

they don't pay their employees and they apparently don't pay their website hosting service either. click the image if you think i'm kidding

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

they don't pay their employees and they apparently don't pay their website hosting service either. click the image if you think i'm kidding

"OkBye", 509 Bandwidth Exceeded. Seems on brand at least.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Communes. You've invented communes.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

hierarchical communes that you can be fired from and suddenly you're broke

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i was more thinking worryfree

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Peanut Butler posted:

And that generate wealth for owners

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

SardonicTyrant posted:

Peanut Butler posted:

ikanreed posted:

And that generate wealth for owners

Cult. They invented a cult.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SardonicTyrant posted:

plantations

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

bam yes there it is

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

StashAugustine posted:

i was more thinking worryfree

it’s exactly worryfree

and yet people will absolutely go for it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A plantation is just a farm but in a tropical climate.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah nothing more communal than receiving no wage in return for labor and being beholden to your employer for your transportation. 1700s America and Australia were very communal for example

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

A plantation is just a farm but in a tropical climate.

a plantation is a farm that focuses on cash crops, also slave labor.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Agean90 posted:

a plantation is a farm that focuses on cash crops, also slave labor.

Sugar beets are grown in farms. Sugarcane is grown in plantations.

Maize is grown in farms. Bananas are grown in plantations.

The difference? It’s the climate.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

To further the "basically slavery" approach, they'd need to deny you the freedom to leave the job in a plausibly deniable way, like there being an asterisk that leaving the job will cost you more money than you actually have plus automatic enrollment in a salary-garnishing plan. Basically approaching the legal definition of slavery, but never touching it, like how 1/x never touches either axis of the graph

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

galenanorth posted:

To further the "basically slavery" approach, they'd need to deny you the freedom to leave the job in a plausibly deniable way, like there being an asterisk that leaving the job will cost you more money than you actually have plus automatic enrollment in a salary-garnishing plan. Basically approaching the legal definition of slavery, but never touching it, like how 1/x never touches either axis of the graph

The only way out is via a bus/ferry/plane that you have to pay for. Or you have to pay for the food and housing when you quit.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

oh

Pooky has issued a correction as of 09:42 on Jan 16, 2019

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

are we suddenly against techworker-enslavement now

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

their name says it all really

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Their website is just that video, too.

Tempora Mutantur has issued a correction as of 15:36 on Jan 16, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

galenanorth posted:

or they could just take away employees' passports and never return them. i don't think indonesian resort islands have strong workers' rights enforcement

like, "come work for us for free* on a third-world island on the other side of the planet" should be setting off alarm bells in any sensible person's head

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
If they don't pay you, they certainly aren't going to get you a work permit, which then becomes leverage against you when your tourist visa runs out. Lol at being an unpaid illegal immigrant.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/fortnite-v-bucks-discount-price-money-dark-web-money-laundering-crime-a8717941.html

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Prav posted:

just because they’re dumb enough to volunteer doesn’t make it right

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Prav posted:

Hey, gently caress you. Some of us are down with a better future for everyone and just like doing dumb computer poo poo.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
this is sorta cool, sorta dumb

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1085571973655220224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What fake papers are being passed around DC? Is it that easy to get think tank nerds to go to random URLs? :eyepop: