Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

zoux posted:

I mean if you believe in flat earth isn't like, going over the edge a risk

The Antarctica wall is very, very high. Like thousands or millions of miles or kilometers or whatever. There is no danger of going over the edge in a ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

The Antarctica wall is very, very high. Like thousands or millions of miles or kilometers or whatever. There is no danger of going over the edge in a ship

Man do I feel like an idiot

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

Man do I feel like an idiot

:same:

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

uh sorry that's incorrect, its about 50m tall, but the further you get from wall edge the colder it gets, down to absolute zero, so we've never been able to explore it

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

uh sorry that's incorrect, its about 50m tall, but the further you get from wall edge the colder it gets, down to absolute zero, so we've never been able to explore it

uh sorry that's incorrect, the ice wall is actually a pretty small barrier, and behind it are fields filled with unimagined wealth and natural resources which are secretly controlled by the government

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

What if you went as far as you could go then used one of those fancy truthtelling cameras to look further?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

What if you went as far as you could go then used one of those fancy truthtelling cameras to look further?

the government

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

"I don't know, I don't have all the answers, but unlike a globalist I'm able to admit the things I don't know."

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Oh yes right, I mixed up kilometers and millimeters again. Thanks for peer reviewing my work

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

uh sorry that's incorrect, the ice wall is actually a pretty small barrier, and behind it are fields filled with unimagined wealth and natural resources which are secretly controlled by the government

uh sorry that's incorrect, the ice wall is actually an infinite 5,280ft plateau patrolled by three-mile-yall turboyetis with other indentations scattered on it including the one that Hitler and the Ahnenerbe escaped to after faking his suicide

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

That's what most of them believe -- that the Antarctica treaty is proof that the governments of the world are conspiring to keep people away from Antarctica. They think that the government patrols the ice wall and will kill anyone who approaches it.

They also think that anyone who claims to cross Antarctica is lying or that they're only crossing a very small outcropping of the ice wall.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That's what most of them believe -- that the Antarctica treaty is proof that the governments of the world are conspiring to keep people away from Antarctica. They think that the government patrols the ice wall and will kill anyone who approaches it.

They also think that anyone who claims to cross Antarctica is lying or that they're only crossing a very small outcropping of the ice wall.

Which is actually hilarious, because the first unassisted crossing happened just in December

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mameluke posted:

It's more like the second Rome than the first. The devshirme system is reprehensible, yes, but it did have beneficial consequences. There weren't many other avenues for young Christian boys to gain power and upward mobility, but once forcibly conscripted it wad possible for them to work their way up to the highest bureaucratic positions, like grand vizier, or Secretary of State.

this is an excellent post, not least because the ways in which it is amazing and/or wrong are kinda subtle

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Which is actually hilarious, because the first unassisted crossing happened just in December

lol look at this globetard. have you seen antartica? have you SEEN someone crossing it unassisted?

thought not.

you can only trust what you see with your own eyes or with your nikon p900.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

The flat earther cruise captain :stare:

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Everyone knows the real earth is Concave, not flat or round.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

birds posted:

I would think (or hope) that their crew is a professional ship crew doing just their job and ignoring the insanity of the promotion surrounding the cruise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

birds posted:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

The Narrator posted:

I would think (or hope) that their crew is a professional ship crew doing just their job and ignoring the insanity of the promotion surrounding the cruise.

I'm hoping the flat earthers hijack the ship, set a course for one of the poles, then sail off into the ice, never to be heard from again.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm hoping that they get norovirus only to find out that THE MAN would like you to believe that they should divert to Australia for the quickest end to their suffering.

(joke may not actually work because even down by the Antarctic Circle, the Pacific is really loving big)

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

No no no, see the circled red area? That's what they crossed. The wall itself is unexplored and patrolled by NASA military troops.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

No no no, see the circled red area? That's what they crossed. The wall itself is unexplored and patrolled by NASA military troops.

Oh god this hosed geography overload is breaking my brain :psyduck:

How do you think ships going to New World would pass Greenland on their way to New England?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TulliusCicero posted:

How do you think ships going to New World would pass Greenland on their way to New England?!

The worst part is how in reality, South America and Africa are separated by less than three thousand kilometres, but on this map it’s like twenty thousand and you’d approach from the north. :thunk:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

This D&D campaign map looks like poo poo DM.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zero_Grade posted:

This D&D campaign map looks like poo poo DM.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TulliusCicero posted:

Frankly I don't understand your complaint here.

If you really pressed them they'd just say ocean magnets or whatever made it so that during the age of sail people were covering distances at wildly different rates from reality to make the trips work, and then since the time it was possible to map truly accurately They have been tricking/forcing seafarers to keep the secret and follow worse routes than they should. They're already talking about an intentionally deceptive fake sky simulation created by angels/aliens/God after all

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean, at some point it would be easier to put everyone in the Matrix than to fill the real world with enough holograms and nanobots and whatever it takes to keep up the illusion.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

What the gently caress did they do to AgribaSpain?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platystemon posted:

I mean, at some point it would be easier to put everyone in the Matrix than to fill the real world with enough holograms and nanobots and whatever it takes to keep up the illusion.

The assertion is generally that this already is the Matrix. Because Earth was specifically constructed to be this way for Reasons by beings from outside.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

How do you know what routes the ships run? Have you ever personally been on one? Didn't think so globalist :agesilaus:

Oh you have? Did you personally navigate the entire way and track and time the course instead of relying on what the lying crew told you? Didn't think so globalist :chord:

Oh you did? What instrument did you use, was it the NASA-controlled GPS? :smugdog:

It was a sextant and a marine chronometer? Well uh *googles* oh you looked at the stars and just assumed they're far away because your teacher told you. But they're really only a few miles up, so your navigation was all wrong. You don't really know what route the ship ran.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

and eclipses are the result of the secret transparent moon.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Planes are evidence of the flat earth because they aren't constantly tipping their nose downward to fly around the curve.

The other one I've seen is that planes are proof of flat earth, because if it was really a spinning globe, they wouldn't need fuel to fly, they'd just need to take off and wait for their destination to roll around underneath them.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Helen Highwater posted:

The other one I've seen is that planes are proof of flat earth, because if it was really a spinning globe, they wouldn't need fuel to fly, they'd just need to take off and wait for their destination to roll around underneath them.

this is true and the insane fuel requirements of the aviation industry is a money laundering scheme

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Watch that flat earth convention safari on youtube, it has this one dude peddling homemade waterproof globe models that you are supposed to pour water on to prove that earth isn't round. he pours some water on the thing and watches the reporter's face and then asks him what he is going to do with this newfound information. It's like A+++ grade high quality insanity. Highly recommend

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Low Desert Punk posted:

this is true and the insane fuel requirements of the aviation industry is a money laundering scheme

wait expand on that :tinfoil:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

the oceans ends at the ice wall.

and you can't ever see the ice wall because the UN and Inner Earth Space Nazis will try to kill you

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Other than a few mentally ill people anyone that has any sort of actually complex or thought out answer for any question about flat earth stuff is just someone clowning around on you. The real answer is "none of that matters or exists in my sphere of life experience, I don't even know what that is"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Other than a few mentally ill people anyone that has any sort of actually complex or thought out answer for any question about flat earth stuff is just someone clowning around on you. The real answer is "none of that matters or exists in my sphere of life experience, I don't even know what that is"

The crazy people come up with the dumb ideas, then hyper-credulous dimwits promulgate the dumb ideas. There are shitloads of hyper-credulous dimwits. That's why the overlap of "people who believe in flat earth" and "people who believe that vaccines are Evil Government Poison and that fluoride is a mind control drug" is nearly 100%. I guarantee that nearly flat earther believes those things, too.

[edit]
I see people in FE groups giving answers based in faulty physics, then when asked for clarifying details, they respond with "lol i dunno im bad at math" and a link to a youtube video.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 16, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The crazy people come up with the dumb ideas, then hyper-credulous dimwits promulgate the dumb ideas. There are shitloads of hyper-credulous dimwits. That's why the overlap of "people who believe in flat earth" and "people who believe that vaccines are Evil Government Poison and that fluoride is a mind control drug" is nearly 100%. I guarantee that nearly flat earther believes those things, too.

Like, I knew a girl who was homeschooled ultra christian, she grew up super sheltered. Her disbelief in evolution included a side thing where like, dog breeding was a scam. That it was just a thing people made up, and they just released new dog breeds slowly to make more money.

I think she honestly believed this, I think if you pressed her on it she could probably provide some theories on how it worked. Some mechanics on where and how all these secret dogs were, what group controlled it, I think if you asked her she'd give an answer some "they keep them in a cave" or something, but I don't think any of that mattered to her, the evolution is a lie part was the real part, everything else was just sort of nothing side stuff that she viewed as some triviality. I think if you pressed and pressed you could make her say crazier things about it to justify it or answer questions, but like, all off the cuff, she personally had just not ever thought about it very much. There was just some they somewhere scamming people with dogs that already existed pretending they were new kinds of dogs.

I think that is how flat earth stuff is, you can press on stuff and people will give off the cuff answers, but it's not stuff they even think, or have thought about. The people that have super detailed answers to it all are people that are mostly goofing around about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like, I knew a girl who was homeschooled ultra christian, she grew up super sheltered. Her disbelief in evolution included a side thing where like, dog breeding was a scam. That it was just a thing people made up, and they just released new dog breeds slowly to make more money.

I think she honestly believed this, I think if you pressed her on it she could probably provide some theories on how it worked. Some mechanics on where and how all these secret dogs were, what group controlled it, I think if you asked her she'd give an answer some "they keep them in a cave" or something, but I don't think any of that mattered to her, the evolution is a lie part was the real part, everything else was just sort of nothing side stuff that she viewed as some triviality. I think if you pressed and pressed you could make her say crazier things about it to justify it or answer questions, but like, all off the cuff, she personally had just not ever thought about it very much. There was just some they somewhere scamming people with dogs that already existed pretending they were new kinds of dogs.

I think that is how flat earth stuff is, you can press on stuff and people will give off the cuff answers, but it's not stuff they even think, or have thought about. The people that have super detailed answers to it all are people that are mostly goofing around about it.

These people have a wealthy of faulty information at their fingertips in the form of crazy-person blogs/youtube videos. They can go way deeper watching videos that enforce their confirmation bias and kind of make sense at a surface-level but don't hold up to scientific scrutiny and learn lots of totally incorrect tidbits they can toss out.