Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

nwin posted:

ok, but that goes back to my original question-is Trump just having McConnell block everything.

McConnell supported a clean funding bill with the understanding that Trump was on board, but then Trump said no and made him look like a bigly idiot. And the only thing Mitch McConnell hates more than having a conscience is looking like an idiot, so now he's cowering in the corner while the portion of his caucus that's up for reelection in 2020 is silently freaking out.

e: drat autocorrect

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

McConnell supported a clean funding bill with the understanding that Trump was on board, but then Trump said no and made him look like a bigly idiot. And the only thing Mitch McConnell hates more than having a conscious is looking like an idiot, so now he's cowering in the corner while the portion of his caucus that's up for reelection in 2020 is silently freaking out.

His own hometown Newspaper is calling him out.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

CommieGIR posted:

His own hometown Newspaper is calling him out.

Is he still hiding out in Kentucky or did he mope his way back to DC to hide in his office?

If he's still at home I'm surprised there aren't protests and demonstrations out in his front yard.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Republicans are absolutely at fault for this, there's no both sides.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

EBB posted:

The Republicans are absolutely at fault for this, there's no both sides.

Exactly.

Also, stupid question! Why not plastic for the wall? Use recyclable plastic and mold that poo poo into goddamn legos or something. Shits are durable

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

You kniw, if it HAD to be built

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1085176296236335104

Source is Christie, but honestly, this sounds exactly like something Kushner would do, and its basically an open secret that Kushner has been calling the shots for ages.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:rip: shim

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I unironicly support renovating our main ports of entry with giant lego walls and friendly lego policeman statues

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
bad news for the pearl clutching over their 401k crowd

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1085361266238070785

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yesssssssssssssssssss

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Wow that d&d primary thread is doing numbers lol. Or did it get moved to cspam? I'm too drunk and on tablet to check

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

In the event that the partial shutdown remains the status quo, the biggest thing down the road that might force Trump and/or McConnell's hand is tax season - for as much as the GOP likes to bitch about taxes, a lot of their voters are going to be pissed when they don't get their tax rebate checks in the mail.

The only reason why Trump and McConnell are getting away with keeping the government closed so far is because the so-called 'important' bits - defense and entitlements - were fully funded earlier in the year. Even if we manage to get everything back open this year, I don't know why the Dems would allow piecemeal funding bills next year since Trump will just pick the ones he likes and hold the rest hostage for more poo poo.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Legos are best used as area denial weapons anyway.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
can't believe Trump hasn't thought of minefields yet

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Wow that d&d primary thread is doing numbers lol. Or did it get moved to cspam? I'm too drunk and on tablet to check

I think the DnD/C-SPAM admins and mods are reenacting the Katyn Massacre.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

In the event that the partial shutdown remains the status quo, the biggest thing down the road that might force Trump and/or McConnell's hand is tax season - for as much as the GOP likes to bitch about taxes, a lot of their voters are going to be pissed when they don't get their tax rebate checks in the mail.

The only reason why Trump and McConnell are getting away with keeping the government closed so far is because the so-called 'important' bits - defense and entitlements - were fully funded earlier in the year. Even if we manage to get everything back open this year, I don't know why the Dems would allow piecemeal funding bills next year since Trump will just pick the ones he likes and hold the rest hostage for more poo poo.

Reports are that Treasury are ready to call back IRS employees as essential to be unpaid and start on tax returns

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hot Karl Marx posted:

got moved to cspam and is just pages of people with probations and bans for the moment

another d&d success story

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Reports are that Treasury are ready to call back IRS employees as essential to be unpaid and start on tax returns

Galaxy brain: if the government isn’t allowed to pay for poo poo the government shouldn’t be allowed to collect money.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FrozenVent posted:

Galaxy brain: if the government isn’t allowed to pay for poo poo the government shouldn’t be allowed to collect money.

Universe brain: if the IRS workers aren't getting paid, they won't give a poo poo about returns not making sense or adding up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

The head of the IRS already said that tax returns will not be delayed by this, so yeah they're all but assured to get called back in if the shutdown doesn't end in a hurry.

Man the absolute spineless behavior of republicans is amazing though.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
McConnell is boxed in because he knows the House GOP is captive to Trump and won't override a veto, even if the Senate might. The House GOP is crazy right-wing now that they've lost a shitload of seats. If McConnell calls a vote and it passes overwhelmingly in the Senate, Trump would veto it and get mad at McConnell. That's bad for McConnell because he's up for reelection in 2020 and he doesn't want to get primaried by a Trumper. Pushing McConnell doesn't get you much of anywhere, because if Trump is still in his mood, the House GOP won't override the veto.

Trump is boxed in because he's a baby beta bitch that only has his base and his brain worms. He watched Fox News / Ann Coulter and they were calling him a pansy, so he went back on the initial deal. Now he can't go back because he can't lose to Cryin' Chuck and Nancy. Maybe all his razors were Gillettes too. I WANT WALL. WE NEED WALL.

Pelosi and Schumer are essentially free and clear, because they know where public opinion is. Unfortunately, Trump was going to pull this shutdown bullshit at some point, and they realized it, so they're dug in for the long haul. Pelosi/Schumer presumably like government, and like government doing things for people, but if Trump gets anything out of this, he'll pitch a fit for the next funding bill, or debt ceiling increase, or whatever comes on Fox News at any given time.

The resolution to all of this will likely involve something catastrophic like airport shutdowns. The prevention of all this would've been to not elect an idiot as President. Some stuff you just can't mitigate.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

got moved to cspam and is just pages of people with probations and bans for the moment

another d&d success story

The probations mostly look like Rask and Literal Tankie R. Guyovich going mad with power, so that's cool.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

people like R. Guyovich are the reason it took me so long to care about politics

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:lol: @ trumps catering job. Fuckin’ :lol:.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Thalantos posted:

Having seen Lego prices climb since I was a kid, $5B is not gonna get us enough bricks to do much

E: I stand corrected... https://www.wired.com/2011/12/does-it-feel-like-lego-bricks-just-keep-getting-more-expensive/

"As it turns out, after going up in the 70’s and 80’s, the average price per brick has actually been trending down."

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 16, 2019

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Hot take: I hate the new Gillette commercial. Good message but gently caress them for attempting to commodify social justice issues.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I am okay with people using positive messages to sell stuff.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The probations mostly look like Rask and Literal Tankie R. Guyovich going mad with power, so that's cool.

I think you’ll find that it’s good to ban anyone who expresses doubt about Bernie Sanders as a candidate.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Deathy McDeath posted:

Hot take: I hate the new Gillette commercial. Good message but gently caress them for attempting to commodify social justice issues.

Could be worse, they could be trying to give Pepsi cans to riot cops.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
To further pile on the "don't both sides this poo poo", Democrats cannot give the orange fecal smear his wall for the same reason the US does not negotiate with terrorists. If that dumpy, fat gently caress gets his way by holding the operation of the federal government hostage he'll for drat sure do it again to get more of what he wants.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Deathy McDeath posted:

Lukewarm response: commodification of social issues indeed sucks rear end (see what’s happened to pride), this instance at least isn’t as tone deaf as the aforementioned Pepsi commercial. It also has the added benefit of causing conservatives to fill their diapers which is always hilarious.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Lukewarm response: commodification of social issues indeed sucks rear end (see what’s happened to pride), this instance at least isn’t as tone deaf as the aforementioned Pepsi commercial. It also has the added benefit of causing conservatives to fill their diapers which is always hilarious.

Oh god, I completely forgot about the worthless Pepsi ad.

Yeah I get the feeling, but it's hard to be mad when the core message is "Don't be a piece of poo poo" and you get gems like this as a result,
https://twitter.com/kfippin/status/1085290167076679680

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The responses to the Gillette commercial are the biggest self-owns

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1085294035391066112

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/dandrezner/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lol the president is an actual Manchurian candidate

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Overly political actor: own intel chiefs.

Apolitical truthsayer: rival heads of state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Thalantos posted:

D4s are ideal, but more expensive than individual Lego blocks.