Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Interesting how you cannot outline any reasons it is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Super Mario Maker 3DS also has a ton of premade levels so it's basically a Mario game itself. Obviously a majority of the levels are not equivalent to a regular level in a regular Mario game, but still.

They gate tools behind finishing these levels, including some behind finishing (I believe) ALL of them, so it's terrible and annoying in that regard.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Interesting how you cannot outline any reasons it is bad

They gutted the online functionality. The Wii U version was one of the few truly good things Nintendo managed to do with the internet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But now both have gutted online functionality as there is no Miiverse, but one of them has a full length Nintendo designed Super Mario Bros game and actual level design tutorials and characters with fun dialogue.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, but Nintendo made the Wii U version worse after the fact.

Hopefully a Switch sequel happens soon.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the only reason the wii u one has "gutted" online functionality is because it came out in 2015 and people have now stopped playing it, and it's not like the online levels you play in the 3DS version came out of thin air. this is a stupid argument

this is all moot, it should be on the dang switch

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Can you still upload and browse levels in Mario Maker Wii U without Miiverse?

I'm forever going to be bummed that they killed off Miiverse so quickly. If they didn't want to bother moderating it anymore at least they could've left up the old stuff!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah that's all still there, and so is the website, you're just missing comments on levels.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

It's not even that you just can't upload stages on 3DS, there's also no searching for specific levels, going back to a previously played stage or browsing the work of a creator of a previously played stage.

Unless you really REALLY don't care about the online portion of Mario Maker (which seems strange because that's the whole point) I can't imagine thinking the 3DS version is superior.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah that's pretty much the case for me honestly.
Though yeah not being shot to go to a creators levels is a huge downside. I play with my kid and create levels and he created levels for me.

The Super Mario Challenge content on though is seriously stealth my favorite Mario platformer on 3ds(not counting virtual console)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i deeply appreciate this guy's objectively hosed up nintendo game opinions

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

If you want another Mario game and don't care too much about making levels: get it used or on sale, it comes with 100 levels and it's surprisingly pretty alright.

If you want to make levels and don't care about sharing or playing other people's levels: Maybe? It's not really that great because if you want all the pieces you'll have to play all 100 levels. This one all depends on how bad you want it.

If you want to make levels and play specific levels you saw online: hard pass

If you maybe want to make levels but definitely want to run your head against every idiotic course made by every wannabe armchair game designer who slams together a lovely level with their rear end and posts it online so everyone in the world can skip it when it comes up on 100 Mario Challenge: go for it, champ. It's all yours and you should buy it.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 15, 2019

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

absolutely anything posted:

i deeply appreciate this guy's objectively hosed up nintendo game opinions

I'm going to have a kid and pass back and forth my 3DS with it so I can appreciate Mario to the fullest.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's 2019 and I'm still buying new 3DS games. Nintendo ftw

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Color Printer posted:

They gate tools behind finishing these levels, including some behind finishing (I believe) ALL of them, so it's terrible and annoying in that regard.

Yeah, I got this version for my kid over the break and this particular aspect is a drag.

No crossover/amiibo costumes is also lame.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
please recommend me good 3ds jrpg games thanks

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Can’t go wrong with Dragon Quest.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Pretty much any Shin Megami Tensei game on the 3DS is good, although SMT4's difficulty curve is a bit wonky and Soul Hackers is a port of a Saturn game, with all the game design that comes from being a JRPG around the turn of the millennium.

Bravely Default is very fun to play, but the plot itself may wear thin after a while. Bravely Second supposedly fixes this, but it's a direct sequel to the first game and I haven't beaten it so I can't say for certain.

As for Dragon Quest, well... Eight is great. It has a neat if somewhat stereotypical plot, but most of the fun comes from the character interactions. Most of the cast is charming and fun, and those that aren't are supposed to be that way (there's literally a character named Prince Charmless). VII is one of my personal favorites, but it has a slow beginning and is one of the longest DQ games overall.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It's 2019 and I'm still buying new 3DS games. Nintendo ftw

I wish I could dig up all the old posts here about how absolutely terrible the DS platform would be, how two screens would suck, and how Nintendo had killed off Gameboy for a flash in the pan loser that would be their next Virtual Boy style failure.

Not that the initial reports of "two screens on top of each other" or whatever wasn't vague and poorly written. But it's crazy to see how they leveraged the idea into a really long shelflife.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Persona Q2 rated by the Australian classification board.

http://www.classification.gov.au/Pa...A0tWHsHBG9lWpXU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

FilthyImp posted:

I wish I could dig up all the old posts here about how absolutely terrible the DS platform would be, how two screens would suck, and how Nintendo had killed off Gameboy for a flash in the pan loser that would be their next Virtual Boy style failure.

Not that the initial reports of "two screens on top of each other" or whatever wasn't vague and poorly written. But it's crazy to see how they leveraged the idea into a really long shelflife.

A lot of small screen games benefit tremendously from having an always available menu, but the same doesn't seem to apply to the Wii U. It's really interesting how a lot of early DS games tried to use the two screens as an extended picture and how quickly that went away in favor of just keeping a menu open all the time. It helps when you can instantly look between both screens just by flicking your eyes down and not like the Wii U where you have to move your entire head and often pause the game just to look at the second screen.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dehry posted:

Persona Q2 rated by the Australian classification board.

http://www.classification.gov.au/Pa...A0tWHsHBG9lWpXU

3DS means life!

Are there any games other than this one likely to release for 3DS, beyond Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn in March?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Etrian Odyssey X is still coming out, Atlus keeping the 3DS alive

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

I remember Nintendo first advertised the DS as the 'third pillar' and kept up GBA support (complete with the GBA Micro) for a while as they weren't sure the DS would take off. (and the OG DS was pretty rough)

Of course, people don't seem to realise that Nintendo itself had precedent for a two-screen folding portable in the original Game and Watch.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

That's in February though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember Nintendo first advertised the DS as the 'third pillar' and kept up GBA support (complete with the GBA Micro) for a while as they weren't sure the DS would take off. (and the OG DS was pretty rough)

Of course, people don't seem to realise that Nintendo itself had precedent for a two-screen folding portable in the original Game and Watch.

The Nintendo DS is a bit of an odd duck when you think about it, because by all rights it shouldn't have worked nearly as well as it did. Developers typically avoid esoteric consoles like the plague, yet somehow the DS managed to outlive (if not directly kill off) both the PSP and its successor by obscene sales margins. Being fully compatible with the entire Gameboy library, despite a lack of multiplayer, was probably a huge shot in the arm for its early lifespan to keep it going until the good exclusives rolled out.

univbee posted:

3DS means life!

Are there any games other than this one likely to release for 3DS, beyond Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn in March?

Sakurazuka posted:

The thing you have to keep in mind is that these games aren't really new, they're just localized releases. Even Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn isn't actually new, it's just a port with a little new content. There's no "real" new big-ticket 3DS games coming out anymore, just a few ports and such to keep it on life support until the retailers can finally get rid of their backlogged console stock without outright dumping them in clearance sales. And even then a few are just about doing that anyway when they periodically get the chance.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 18, 2019

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Nintendo DS is a bit of an odd duck when you think about it, because by all rights it shouldn't have worked nearly as well as it did. Developers typically avoid esoteric consoles like the plague, yet somehow the DS managed to outlive (if not directly kill off) both the PSP and its successor by obscene sales margins. Being fully compatible with the entire Gameboy library, despite a lack of multiplayer, was probably a huge shot in the arm for its early lifespan to keep it going until the good exclusives rolled out.

It also inspired Nintendo's movement to broaden their audience, with the Touch Generation titles being a catalyst for "Games for Moms"

The DS did everything right, it's no wonder every future Nintendo system has been infused with hardware gimmicks—seeing them try to market LABO using that dinky little joycon sensor to inspire younger audiences was a very Nintendo thing to do

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Spellman posted:

It also inspired Nintendo's movement to broaden their audience, with the Touch Generation titles being a catalyst for "Games for Moms"

The DS did everything right, it's no wonder every future Nintendo system has been infused with hardware gimmicks—seeing them try to market LABO using that dinky little joycon sensor to inspire younger audiences was a very Nintendo thing to do

i don't know if thats necessarily true, nintendo's been trying to broaden their audience for a while now, the Gamecube controller was specifically designed with the big "A" button to make it easier for anyone to pick it up

quote:

“Our target user for this controller is not very specific, it’s very general,” said famed Nintendo designer, Shigeru Miyamoto, when the controller was first announced. “A beginner who has never touched the controller can use it, your grandmother can use it, and even a child with small hands can use it."

The hardware thing has also been goin on forever because of nintendo's history as a toy company, not all of it came over here but stuff like rob or the virtual boy is definitely along the same lines as LABO. You could say they've leaned into it more because it's continued to be successful, for sure

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you take the Virtual Boy in the context of its time and place, it is a very cool piece of tech, but that's all it is.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Heath posted:

If you take the Virtual Boy in the context of its time and place, it is a very cool piece of tech, but that's all it is.

Yeah, maybe some slightly revisionist history here but I think Miyamoto's assessment of it is more or less correct

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Nintendo-3DS/Vol-1-And-That-s-How-the-Nintendo-3DS-Was-Made/2-Shigeru-Miyamoto-Talks-Virtual-Boy/2-Shigeru-Miyamoto-Talks-Virtual-Boy-229419.html posted:

Miyamoto:
That was also true within Nintendo. Our sales department treated Virtual Boy as an extension of our licensing business. In other words, we sold it as something like the Famicom system.

Itoi:
I see.

Miyamoto:
And when you do that, selling 100,000 is just a start. But if you think of it as just a fun toy, it’s a big success if you break just 50,000. If sales generated some buzz, and crossed 100,000, then 200,000, then 500,000 - quite a good pattern. Viewed like that, Virtual Boy was, I think, quite an appealing toy. To people who viewed it like that, I think that is still an appealing product. But if you place it front and centre and think about the licensing business…

Iwata:
In other words, if you think of it as a gaming platform.

Miyamoto:
Right. When you think of it as a gaming platform, it becomes a failure.

and it lines up with how Yokoi treated gaming stuff in general, there's an interview with one of the big Nintendo R&D guys where he goes into how the guy thought of consoles as more of a toy than a platform when they were workin on the gameboy

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/155107688449 posted:

He saw the Game Boy as a direct follow-on from the Game & Watch, which meant a rather cheap toy, without any real business model and no long-term ambition. To give you a clear comparison, Yokoi wanted a Game Boy that would have looked like the Microvision and would not have lasted more than one or two seasons. For instance, he did not care if there were third-party editors or not. Furthermore, he only wanted ‘quick games’, quickly completed and quickly forgotten.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

i don't know if thats necessarily true, nintendo's been trying to broaden their audience for a while now, the Gamecube controller was specifically designed with the big "A" button to make it easier for anyone to pick it up

Yea but that's more of an ergonomic consideration—the entire gaming industry wasn't aware that you could successfully market a game to someone who wasn't a gamer until Nintendo actually made games for them. And the atypical control inputs (touch screen, motion controls) allowed for people who were overwhelmed with modern controllers to play games, aswell

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah between Odyssey and the Bowser Jr. Cutscenes it's Intelligent Systems own fault if they don't do anything interesting story wise with the next Paper Mario.

Yeah, interesting things can be done with the Mario series. Intelligent Systems just went for the most boring way when it came to characters. (Though the writing in Color Splash was still really good.)

And yeah, the cutscenes would really be your jam. Bowser Jr's Journey gets pretty :3: later on. Would definitely recommend looking them up. Shame about the gameplay not really being improved from Bowser's Minions all that much.

Unfortunately, the other big problem I had with the Bowser's Minions gameplay, namely that it gets way too grindy at points, especially at the endgame, is still in Bowser Jr's Journey. Ugh.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Tbf reeling back the casts of these RPGs to core characters that can't even wear a hat or w/e is antithetical to the genre. Feels like a corporate decision that was publically ascribed to Shigaru to justify it/soothe people's irritation over this

Of course, it wasn't much later that Miyamoto was proud to admit they'd hired a newer team to inject fresh ideas into the series, for which they were probably referencing Odyssey, but you can see the ripples in other Mario games now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

me, an intellectual: “make an rpg filled with Mario characters”
you: *draws a goomba wearing a hat*
me: “no not like that, you fool. you goddamn moron”

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So dumb question: Dropped a new SD card into my N3DS. Made sure it was Fat32 formatted @ 32k and all. Copied all the data off the old card, dropped it into the new card and...

nothing? System says no data is accessible. I'm pretty sure I can still see the old data when I load it into my computer, but the 3DS can't find it?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

So dumb question: Dropped a new SD card into my N3DS. Made sure it was Fat32 formatted @ 32k and all. Copied all the data off the old card, dropped it into the new card and...

nothing? System says no data is accessible. I'm pretty sure I can still see the old data when I load it into my computer, but the 3DS can't find it?

Should be as simple as dropping the folder in there as it was on the previous card, so long as your destination 3DS is signed into the same Nintendo account. Faulty card? Improper formatting? Never had to troubleshoot this, always worked my first try

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spellman posted:

Should be as simple as dropping the folder in there as it was on the previous card, so long as your destination 3DS is signed into the same Nintendo account.
Everything was the same. But I made the mistake of loading the card up on the DS empty after the FAT format. Looks like that created a new file hash or whatever. Had to copy paste the old information into the newer gibberish folder.

Might have to redownload the games I had, but at least the saves are intact. Phew. Was not looking forward to another 100+ hours into Project X Zone2

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Color Printer posted:

If you maybe want to make levels but definitely want to run your head against every idiotic course made by every wannabe armchair game designer who slams together a lovely level with their rear end and posts it online so everyone in the world can skip it when it comes up on 100 Mario Challenge: go for it, champ. It's all yours and you should buy it.

Huh I thought it had like the best (or at least, top rated or most popular) 100 user made levels? I would prefer to have all of the tools to make levels without having to play any levels though

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Hi goons. I started using my new 3ds XL again in preparation for an international flight. It goes from full battery to dead without warning and when I pulled out the battery, it looks bloated.

Any recommended replacements? I would go through Nintendo but leaving in less than a week so Amazon or brick and mortar are my only choices.

I found some SPR-003 listings on Amazon but the reviews are mixed if they are legit or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kyoujin posted:

Hi goons. I started using my new 3ds XL again in preparation for an international flight. It goes from full battery to dead without warning and when I pulled out the battery, it looks bloated.

Any recommended replacements? I would go through Nintendo but leaving in less than a week so Amazon or brick and mortar are my only choices.

I found some SPR-003 listings on Amazon but the reviews are mixed if they are legit or not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZNR12Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WPqsCbD1M6SZ4

I went with this for my New XL and it’s working great so far. I got it about 4 months ago and no issues.