Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Self-Destruct can be learned from the bombs in Halatali.

Peculiar Light can be gained from the surf efts in Brayflox's Longstop. I imagine you can grab Plainscracker from the golems in Qarn too, but I've not had a chance (ooh, that's a good final sting learn location, too!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

you can fight the arr relic chimera instead of the one in cutters cry

Captain Oblivious posted:

Plainscracker can be learned from the level 30ish Clay Golems in North Shroud.
You can also get all three of these from the last Masked Carnival Fight. (It has 3 acts, all three spells are cast in act1 and both chimera spells are in act2) - the fight has no pre-reqs so if you hit 50 without these skills it's probably a good option for them.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Hit 50 with blue mage, dabbled around, and it is such a weird class right now. The flavor is cool, and goddamn tank blue mage makes me wish a tank actually could bring utility that feels good to the table, but. Most of the spells are kind of - lackluster and whatever, only there for the one or two applications in the carnival? There's some cool poo poo here, like how ram's voice/dragon's voice is this really neat combo that makes you care about your positioning, a few combos, your DoTs, a few buffs/CDs, basically feels like mostly your standard caster with a emphasis on utilty and positioning, which is a pretty unexplored niche for spellcasters.

Then there's a VERY small number of utterly batshit utility spells that are broken regardless of the context they're used in that ruin the whole package. It feels like this is a class that could have been make into a real, interesting thing with just a *few* changes, and the only spell that would have had to been dramatically refactored would have been white wind, since even bad breath could have just been made into a cooldown like other effects such as pallisade, virus, etc. Their example of instant death wound up actually being entirely null and void, because you get doom and tail screw and they don't work on trial bosses and it would have been easy enough to just disable them in instanced content if they had to be a thing... I just don't get what they were going for here anymore.

Carnival's cute but kind of a one-off content you can now do for more seals and while they tried to make a replay value thing with scoring, it just feels kind of tacked on into a game it really doesn't belong in. I think blue mage is going to lose a lot of its appeal in the coming week, and then it's going to be entirely dead content that people have to bug their friends to carry them through old content multiple times (since the rate is far from 100%) just to play a dumb minigame, since just shy of half of the spell list is locked behind trials and dungeons of which almost all cannot be soloed. I don't get what they were going for here with a job that exists only for the carnival, which is solo content, but then set it up such that once the initial hype is over the only way to get half of the spell kit is to re-run old content you have to bug people to carry you through, since you can't queue for it, and there seems to be absolutely zero logical reason for why they couldn't just set up special solo trial versions for you to learn the spells from, especially since they just go "snzz here" and hand you eight of the spells via consumable items. What is this supposed to accomplish, who is this for?

short: class itself is good, everything around it is dumb.

edit: actually i'm double mad here because they say "it wouldn't be blue mage if you didn't have to go out in the field and learn the spells yourself" and then they give you 7 out of 49 spells, some of them being fairly iconic, as usable items. they don't even fully keep to the gimmick which was supposed to be their dumb reason for keeping the class restricted in the first place!!

Meeko fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 16, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be fair, I cannot imagine a circumstance in which a solo enemy would use Transfusion.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Jimbot posted:

You should vote Republican. They like to laugh at people who struggle with things. You'll fit right at home with them.

ahahahahahahaahahahaah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that I genuinely like Blue Mage better as it is now than I would as yet another caster class. While the Blue Carnival thing absolutely needs fleshing out "Collect various skills and then use them to solve puzzles" is extremely my bag and the ones I really like in the carnival are an absolute delight. I wish there was more utility stuff like Sticky Tongue and less "AoE attack (element)" but I am more invested in this version of Blue Mage then i would be as another healer/tank/DPS.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

nyttyn posted:

there seems to be absolutely zero logical reason for why they couldn't just set up special solo trial versions for you to learn the spells from

nyttyn posted:

edit: actually i'm double mad here because they say "it wouldn't be blue mage if you didn't have to go out in the field and learn the spells yourself" and then they give you 7 out of 49 spells, some of them being fairly iconic, as usable items. they don't even fully keep to the gimmick which was supposed to be their dumb reason for keeping the class restricted in the first place!!

Would having you learn the spells from what amounts to class story quests/trials somehow be more blue mage-y?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Would having you learn the spells from what amounts to class story quests/trials somehow be more blue mage-y?

Yes, because it could be a whole big set piece thing instead of me screaming at some dumbfuck B-class mark in Thanalan for hours because I'm not getting an RNG draw on learning Loom.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

somepartsareme posted:

you can fight the arr relic chimera instead of the one in cutters cry

yes

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Lizard Wizard posted:

they had me beat the poo poo out of a kraken with a stick in a cut-scene to learn the first spell and that tiny bit was honestly way more engaging than shouting about some b-rank hunt or whatever for half a hour until the RNG decides to cooperate. The current setup for learning spells fails to sell me on anything other than it being a time sink to keep people playing, especially since you can do entire dungeons/trials you've already done hundreds of times and not get the spell.

so yeah, having fancy spruced up blue mage-flavor class quests/trials would have been 40x better than this time sink version.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I wish I could use this top for other things, I like it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I've got some long winded :words: of my own wrt this.

I think that Blue Mage was pretty much a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

No matter what implementation they went with, people would bitch about it - endlessly. And if they didn't put it in, that would be the #1 question they would receive always.

I mean, let's consider the options that seem "reasonable" here -

1 - They implement Blue Mage as a normal caster job. Or hell, put it in as a tank (which is what I thought would be cool). Regardless, BLU ends up as a normal style job. You get abilities when you level up just like any other job because you can't change the whole system of ability acquisition for one "normal" job. People would end up bitching because it's not a "true" blue mage since you aren't directly learning abilities from monsters. We would be drowning in people saying "If I knew this is what they were planning for BLU, I'd rather not have a lame version of the class at all!"

2 - They implement Blue Mage as a normal job (whatever role). It's balanced to work within the system, but abilities must be learned from enemies. You would have legions of blue mages that learn only a small portion of their abilities and end up missing stuff for rotations. People who wanted a traditional blue mage would be excited but everyone else would end up being the ones bitching about it. You could never guarantee that the blue mage would have the abilities needed for their full rotation. Even if their abilities were balanced to give similar DPS or tanking or whatever to other jobs, you'd end up frequently running into people missing abilities and dragging their groups down. So then should they require blue mages to have all their abilities before handling content? That would end up pissing off a lot of people too.

Also, regardless, for both options 1 & 2, people would complain that the blue mage abilities are just "watered down versions" of the original monster abilities and that's not true to blue mages.

3 - The current implementation of Blue Mages. You get true to the core goddamn blue mages with insane abilities and the potential for weird combinations of abilities. They take the monster abilities and they get the full potency exact copies of monster abilities. The problem is, this is impossible to balance for group content due to the weird potential of the abilities as well as no guarantees on what the blue mage might or might not have. Just like with all the other options, people are going to bitch.

I genuinely feel for people that were really hoping to get a blue mage they could main in group content, but at this point, I'm not sure what exactly the people like that expected. But more so, I feel many people who wanted a normal job version of blue mage all had different visions for how it would work, which they saw as the "only true blue mage."

Also, YoshiP has mentioned this is the first limited job, not the only limited job.

I like the idea of creating limited jobs because there are a ton of loving Final Fantasy jobs that don't fit very nicely into an MMO setting - or at the very least would fit awkwardly into FFXIV. Limited jobs allow for the opportunity to explore and add jobs that a little different from what we've come to expect in FFXIV.

I could see another limited job getting added in Shadowbringers (maybe puppetmaster? beastmaster? calculator?). I would imagine they would be locked out of group content just the same as Blue Mages, but I bet they could party with blue mages. Eventually, perhaps, we'll have a whole assortment of limited jobs that can all group together and do weird poo poo in old content.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
BLU is pretty much exactly as expected where 40 of your 49 buttons are underwhelming reskins of the same 120/130 potency whatever and then a handful of snowflake "but BLU mage needs this!!!" buttons which were apparently enough for them to condemn the entire job to some awful limbo instead of making it a real job (which it feels like they kind of wanted to anyway given how low effort the majority of the spellbook feels).

The only good thing BLU has brought is another weekly source of allied seals so you can get those mountspeed increases you missed out on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Very excited for BLU to be the new Eureka shibboleth.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

I could see another limited job getting added in Shadowbringers (maybe puppetmaster? beastmaster? calculator?). I would imagine they would be locked out of group content just the same as Blue Mages, but I bet they could party with blue mages. Eventually, perhaps, we'll have a whole assortment of limited jobs that can all group together and do weird poo poo in old content.

Ultimately my concern here is that this seems like a tremendous amount of work for something that's pretty much irrelevant to the narrative or the main thrust of gameplay.

And.. like, that I really want to main a blue mage. I want to spit a fish in Varis' dumb face.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
BLU is kinda fun if not also kind half-baked, I like being able to party up with friends and run through old content, blah blah blah HOLY poo poo THIS IS A BREAKTHROUGH LIMIT BREAK IN SMUG ELF TECHNOLOGY

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Considering how they implemented it in this game I do wish they'd gone full-on FF11 BLU with your ability choices having a large impact on your stats/traits/performance.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Cabbit posted:

Ultimately my concern here is that this seems like a tremendous amount of work for something that's pretty much irrelevant to the narrative or the main thrust of gameplay.

Isn't that true of:
Any Class you don't play.
Relic content.
The entire Golden saucer.

I could go on but, MMO's ensuring they have a variety of content to enjoy is a good thing.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Using the class system to create side content is an interesting premise, and it doesn't matter too much how relevant it is when it's actually pretty fun. It's like most of the other side content at this point.

I will say that it seems more popular than I was expecting, given the initial reception? I'm digging the goofy fanart stuff already too.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

BLU is kinda fun if not also kind half-baked, I like being able to party up with friends and run through old content, blah blah blah HOLY poo poo THIS IS A BREAKTHROUGH LIMIT BREAK IN SMUG ELF TECHNOLOGY

The female vpose is an insanely good example of :smuggo:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Stormgale posted:

Isn't that true of:
Any Class you don't play.
Relic content.
The entire Golden saucer.

I could go on but, MMO's ensuring they have a variety of content to enjoy is a good thing.

1.) No
2.) No
3.) To an extent, yes, but I feel like BLU took more effort than any individual bit of the Gold Saucer.

In any event my blue mage has hit 36, leveling feels like it's slowed down a lot, and I'm getting sick of casting literally nothing but 1000 Needles. I was hoping this would have more legs than this.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

BLU would be like the Gold Saucer if everything you won in the Gold Saucer could only be used in the Gold Saucer, up to including glamours and mounts. Then the reason they gave was "It'd be awfully unrealistic for a Gambler to be running around Eorzea so we kept it here, in the Gamble House."

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The thing I'm most surprised about BLU is how good the job quests are. For one the writing is excellent and the BLU trainer is a lovable loser that ranks pretty high up there on the job trainer charts. Then also the production values of the cutscenes are fantastic, the best they've done yet in job quests. It reminds me when ninja came out after two years of them refining their methods over the ARR job quests, its just as big a leap.

But then, the quests are loving dripping both thematically and with lore of things that are to come in the future. There's the whole New World/Whalaqee angle going on, you're constantly being reminded that Blue Magic isn't of Eorzean origin, it's foreign magic. Much like again ninja served in some small way as an early connection to Doma back in 2.4. We even meet a Whalaqee and learn a few things about their people and the kinds of things they may be dealing with when we visit, later on, which is the most New World stuff we've had up to this point. Everyone knows that there is eventually going to be a New World expansion, and this is your formal introduction to it.

Then there's Martyn's friend's big speech about how "the age of swords and spells" is ending, impassionately suggesting you give magitek a try. The game is practically screaming at you at this point PREORDER SHADOWBRINGERS.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 16, 2019

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My current BLU gripe is making group content spells have lower learn rates then open world ones seems like the opposite of what you should be doing. I grouped up for a Garuda EX where some 70s were carrying - we probably got 10 or more clears and no spell. (But 3 whistles dropped.) The fact that there's a bunch of spells you will not be able to get with pure BLU groups means you'll have to take turns helping, but with such a low droprate it feels like hell. I'm dreading doing Ifrit and Levi EX another 20+ times.

The "tradeoff" seems to be the EX primal spells aren't terribly important/essential to anything?

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

As a Known Blue Mage Hater I tried to keep an open mind now that it's actually out. It still sucks.

-Spending hours with a 1 button rotation (with a 6 second cast time) running aimlessly around the open world looking for things that weren't already camped made me want to die. Leveling is completely unengaging and dull.

-None of the buttons I got (granted there's a bunch in dungeons I haven't touched yet, but from skimming lists nothing really jumps out at me) seem particularly interesting. I don't think the class is going to evolve beyond stacking a bunch of +dmg buffs and hitting them with whatever. There's no coherent class design here.

-For all the talk of "BLU can do lots of wacky things and it would be totally unbalanced to let them into real content", they only really got a couple of status effects that players have been historically unable to get, a few overtuned spells that could easily be brought down to balanced (Peculiar Light, self-KO spells), the ability to one-shot level 32 enemies at any level, and WoW's Death Grip.

-I'm not really convinced there's going to be anything to show for it once I actually hit 50. I'm not really interested in "let's do (old content) as all one class!!!", I can't queue for anything, anything I could do solo would be faster as a level 70 class, and the class doesn't really seem interesting enough to just play it for the sake of playing it.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Yeah I've been playing around with it a little and I feel like nothing about this job justifies it being turned into a dumb gimmick. Maybe the carnival thing is actually fun but going through all this effort to get there doesn't seem like a good use of anybody's time

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I am enjoying BLU a lot but not the part where harassing people into running dungeons with you is still the fastest way to level, barring job-swap bullshit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
whats the job swap thing

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Countblanc posted:

whats the job swap thing

There's a small period of time before the game actually grants you experience for a kill where you're considered out of combat and can change jobs.

One-shot an enemy as a level 70 job then quickly switch to BLU. BLU gets full credit for the experience.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Countblanc posted:

whats the job swap thing

Kill something as another job, quickly swap to BLU.

I've not tested it because it reeks of exploit, but apparently it's a thing.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
So theoretically you could kill a level 70 mob, then switch to BLU and get a poo poo ton of XP? I know some people have gotten the Tail Screw ability by having friends help them kill the scorpion mobs in The Fringes.

Edit: Only works if you one shot a mob.

x1o fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 16, 2019

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Withholding full judgement until I get to start messing around with the carnival but as someone who thought the concept of limited jobs was really cool, I think this implementation pretty much sucks.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
It was neat running through a dungeon with 4 Blue Mages, but the novelty is going to wear off very quickly and then there's nothing to do with it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Again, I don't think there is a way to create a Blue Mage that pleases everyone.

A lot of you are talking about how it should have just been a normal job. But then, how should ability acquisition be handled? If it were a normal job, should it just get abilities by leveling, like every other job, or would they still gain abilities in the world by fighting monsters?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it would gain abilities like SMN gains egis? this is a solved problem

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mordiceius posted:

Again, I don't think there is a way to create a Blue Mage that pleases everyone.

A lot of you are talking about how it should have just been a normal job. But then, how should ability acquisition be handled? If it were a normal job, should it just get abilities by leveling, like every other job, or would they still gain abilities in the world by fighting monsters?

No they definitely couldn't please everyone this is true. The difference is that the people who want you to go punch marlboros until you learn bad breath at the expense of anything else, for example, the ability to play the class in anything except dead content, are wrong and should never be listened to.

Summoners don't get to pause the game and make everyone watch their 45 second cutscene of a god blowing up the earth and black mages can't cast instant death spells despite that being pretty standard in final fantasy. So yes, bend the class to make it fit in with the rest so it can be played with the rest instead of being a glorified Verminion. Make their class quests be your trainer sending you to go hunt down some rare monster and learn how to do the thing. Boom, class fixed, hire me square enix.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Truga posted:

it would gain abilities like SMN gains egis? this is a solved problem

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't summoners just get egis just by leveling up now, right? I mean I know the quests are still there, but didn't Stormblood disassociate learning spells from quests?

It would be odd to have a job with all of there abilities tied to quests when no other jobs currently do that.

Don't get me wrong, I was a big proponent of "learn the abilities from monsters via class quests" but that can only really cover a very small portion of their abilities. And many, many, many people out there want all or nothing with blue mages learning spells from monsters.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
The one thing this game was missing was thrilling new ways to run sastasha hard while synced. Thankfully this has now been fixed.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't summoners just get egis just by leveling up now, right? I mean I know the quests are still there, but didn't Stormblood disassociate learning spells from quests?

It would be odd to have a job with all of there abilities tied to quests when no other jobs currently do that.

Don't get me wrong, I was a big proponent of "learn the abilities from monsters via class quests" but that can only really cover a very small portion of their abilities. And many, many, many people out there want all or nothing with blue mages learning spells from monsters.

No, you still get the egi's via quests. Summoner quests can't progress until you've beaten the primal that quest wants you to fight even. Its only the new skills in stormblood that you don't learn from your quests. The old skills are still tied to job quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i wish instead of being a carrot for completing the leveling process the Masked Carnivale was an exp source with unique challenge battles starting from at least level 20 that you're encouraged to iterate on for faster clear times (with bonus exp given when you're close to, achieve, or overcome par time).