Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I'd like to formally suggest two new rules for Gay Abortion Award nomiations:

1. There is no longer a limit to how many cartoons each poster may nominate for each award; we're nominating by the seat of our pants now and it would suck to use up one's chance to nominate something worse that comes along and have to beg others to nominate it.
2. All nominations across all categories except Best Edit/Parody are now automatically considered for Overall Worst Political Cartoon. Cartoons that do not quite fit into any of the other categories well enough may still be nominated specifically for Overall Worst.

And now, another batch:

Gaybies nomination: Worst Gaslighter Cartoon

Gaybies nomination: Worst Gaslighter Cartoon

Gaybies nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (LGBT) in a Cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

Does McCoy beat his wife too?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Does McCoy beat his wife too?

Not sure, but he almost definitely agrees with a man's right to do it in the name of equality.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I was wondering if it would be McCoy, Lester, or Branco who hopped on this Gillette outrage first. What a bunch of snowflakes.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Ted Rall posted:

How Do the Other 22% Live?

78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. The United States isn't a superpower. It is, as President Trump would say, a "shithole country."

Tags: checks cashed; cambio; income tax; EBT; utility payment; poverty; income; low wages; income disparity;

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

AGC? I mean it’s not very technically proficient, he could’ve come up with an actual joke to tell that’s funny but it’s Rall we gotta grade this poo poo on a curve.

Edit: also what the gently caress is the guy second from left’s hair?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Before I fell into a cycle of homelessness, I had to get my paychecks cashed at check cashing places. They're a loving scam and precisely why we need public banking, a breaking up of the banks, and the socializing of finance.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Somfin posted:

And then you hit it with a boat propeller and it goes away...?

The metaphor of the unknowable terrible outsider maps way better to the actual billionaire class than to the symptoms they cause. Humans who support the job creator narrative are worshipping strange and hateful gods, who want nothing to do with them and will destroy them if they make too much noise, and yet the idiots persist. The gods that do bother to notice us hate us and appear in a thousand forms to vex and torture. Our little group is not the first to face them, but our predecessors' example should prove that the idea of making our own god to fight back only ever leads to destruction. The biggest, most powerful thing in existence is a brainless idiot who is kept placated by the cosmic equivalent of jangling keys so he doesn't wake up and end reality.

And those gods, like the rich, are far more mortal than you might expect.

:hmmyes:

I never looked at it that way but I like it a lot.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

AGC? I mean it’s not very technically proficient, he could’ve come up with an actual joke to tell that’s funny but it’s Rall we gotta grade this poo poo on a curve.
I agree, it's one of the best from Rall for a while. It's the simplicity of just having the statistic combined with only the background art to sell how messed up it is. Granted the art is still Rall (the pants alone are eldritch horrors) but as you point out, we're grading on a curve.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trapezium Dave posted:

I agree, it's one of the best from Rall for a while. It's the simplicity of just having the statistic combined with only the background art to sell how messed up it is. Granted the art is still Rall (the pants alone are eldritch horrors) but as you point out, we're grading on a curve.

I still can’t get over guy number 2’s hair. Like... does Rall not have an editor?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fathis Munk posted:

:hmmyes:

I never looked at it that way but I like it a lot.

(I'm making a game based on this concept, I've had a bit of time to think about it :ssh:)

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I still can’t get over guy number 2’s hair. Like... does Rall not have an editor?
Rall's art style has difficulty depicting longer hair styles, amongst other things:

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Tim Kreider wrote an essay about politics, mostly points often made here already, no accompanying drawing though he references the Aztec one he made way back:
http://timkreider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/American-Solstice.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2SfbZ0pX80DJjHHreX4YYK4jRXWck7I_N4mv_nKKIF2wnyAo8bi5OkSNs

quote:

There's no returning to world-order-as-usual, even if we do elect another storebrought technocrat. The rest of the world won't forget what it realized in these years: that America can't be counted on. Much as the rest of the West justifiably gripes about America, they've now gotten a glimpse of what the world would look like without us, with no one in charge. Once your dad has abandoned the family, blown your college fund on cocaine, and eloped with the babysitter, it's hard to accept his reassurances when, five months later, he returns, contrite, broke, and fresh out of rehab, promising he's still good old Dad.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Somfin posted:

(I'm making a game based on this concept, I've had a bit of time to think about it :ssh:)

Oh god yes SOLD.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't feel like Lovecraft needs defending, but I think the second world war served as the final point where bigotry could be ignored. Anyone after that point has no reasonable excuse anymore, because it was a world-wide wake up call. It took America a few decades to still "get it" though. And we're still going forward, despite dipshits dragging us back.

A lot of gay and trans people identify very powerfully with Lovecrafts narrative because at his heart he was always an outsider who didn't "get" people. He was always a shithead because he was a recluse. And his stories reflect this and for some reason it resonates with people.

Again I don't think this excuses him or anything. But we don't see a lot of writing like his anymore, and I'm not referring to the racism. The prose he put forth is only really duplicated, imitated or reused directly.

And I'm not sure why. And it's kinda sad that all discussion just goes back to the worst parts of his writing, but at the same time I understand why.

I don't have much else to add. I didn't read much of his work. But osmosis of Cthulhu mythos is powerful. And maybe that is the purest form his literature will take.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

People should stop posting Tosspanels or whatever the gently caress it's called because they're just giving Nazis a bigger audience ITT and deplatforming works.

He did make that comic one time, that gave me a serious craving for curry.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

People should stop posting Tosspanels or whatever the gently caress it's called because they're just giving Nazis a bigger audience ITT and deplatforming works.

We voted on this not long ago. Your side lost four to one.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Lovecraft here are a couple of books that deal with him, his stories and his racism. They're both really good, and in googling a picture, I found out HBO is turning Lovecraft country into a series.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Well jeez, I don't understand why people think I hate women of color... hic.

If you watched that commercial and this is what you got from it, you actually do hate women and are threatened by society coming after people like you.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Zesty posted:

If you watched that commercial and this is what you got from it, you actually do hate women and are threatened by society coming after people like you.

Realised I hadn't watched it.

Watched it.

Made me realise how lucky I was to have the dad I did.

Lester's gonna die of cancer but I genuinely hope a truck gets there first.

And before any of y'all capitalism wonks start complaining, someone wanted to make that short film and Gillette decided it was gonna put some money behind it and stick its brand on the fucker. Including putting itself out there as one of the baddies. That poo poo would scare the pants off of most boards of directors. Some folks had to fight pretty loving hard to get that thing made. I'm glad they did.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 16, 2019

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

It always amazes me how poorly some men react to a message of "I think we should try to encourage people to be a bit less poo poo, especially young boys."

Like you would think that the worst anyone could react to this would be with a smug "Well they mean everyone but me obviously, I'm perfect." But no. So many guys are extremely hype to jump on the train of "gently caress YOU, HOW YOU DARE YOU IMPLY THAT THERE IS LITERALLY A SINGLE MAN ON THE PLANET THAT COULD STAND TO BE EVEN SLIGHTLY BETTER"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I will say I've learned a lot about how propaganda is constructed from having the stonefuck poo poo being posted here. I'm not a fan of spreading those things around more but dude gets a big enough fuckin audience on twitter and imgur and stuff, a bunch of goons staring in horror at them and explaining how it is they work as propaganda pieces isn't a huge lot of extra damage.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon: The Murray Darling Crisis

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
These people are broken

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1085277143507050498

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, it's that sad irony: The people who need to pay attention to that commercial the most are the ones who are going to fight it the hardest.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It took me learning that feminism benefitted me as much as women for me to not be a shithead anymore and it just annoys me that these guys can't see it.

Really, everybody gains, nobody loses. But they can't see it for what it is.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm a little late to the Lovecraft chat, but if you assume the secret ancestry story is autobiographical, Lovecraft's family secret that sent him spiraling into depression and a nervous breakdown was that he was part Welsh. That's how racist he was.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mordaedil posted:

It took me learning that feminism benefitted me as much as women for me to not be a shithead anymore and it just annoys me that these guys can't see it.

Really, everybody gains, nobody loses. But they can't see it for what it is.
If they didn't have such a vomit reflex to the phrase and learned what it meant, I think they'd actually love the phrase "toxic masculinity" because it's the source of so many of those social judgmental problems modern men face, which I know they care about. Or at least pretend to care about so they can bring them up as a rebuttal for literally any feminist issue.
I can't count how many times I've seen guys like this complain that society expects men to be unemotional and never ask for support even when they need it. It's a real problem! It's toxic masculinity! But they just get so hung up on the name, like "oh so EVERYTHING masculine is TOXIC now??" I can't really be surprised that this group has so much overlap with the guys who insist on "egalitarianism" because they can't get over feminism having "fem" in it.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

Forget guy #2. Dude on the left manages to have both unshaved stubble on his upper lip and a full mustache.
The Lovecraftian horror was in this thread all along.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Technowolf posted:

And two of those were racist assholes back in the 1920s, when it wasn't seen as a bad thing.

Judging by what's going on in the world, it most definitely "isn't seen as" a bad thing nowadays, either.

e: Eh, I'm willing to concede that the minority that sees it as a bad thing is probably somewhat larger than it was in the 1920s but still :shrug:

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon: The Murray Darling Crisis

This seems like avatar material

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

"Waaah, everyone's mean about the First Lady's fashion sense" definitely doesn't make you look like a whiny-rear end GOP pud, Drinky.

quote:

....wasn't the dinosaur originally red? Good job, Allie.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CuwiKhons posted:

It always amazes me how poorly some men react to a message of "I think we should try to encourage people to be a bit less poo poo, especially young boys."

Like you would think that the worst anyone could react to this would be with a smug "Well they mean everyone but me obviously, I'm perfect." But no. So many guys are extremely hype to jump on the train of "gently caress YOU, HOW YOU DARE YOU IMPLY THAT THERE IS LITERALLY A SINGLE MAN ON THE PLANET THAT COULD STAND TO BE EVEN SLIGHTLY BETTER"

American Exceptionalism.
Don't you dare imply things aren't 100% the best.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

THE BAR posted:

He did make that comic one time, that gave me a serious craving for curry.

But now that we’ve got the recipe, does he really need to stay?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Judging by what's going on in the world, it most definitely "isn't seen as" a bad thing nowadays, either.

e: Eh, I'm willing to concede that the minority that sees it as a bad thing is probably somewhat larger than it was in the 1920s but still :shrug:

It’s not acceptable to be overtly racist anymore, which is why most of them try to hide behind dogwhistles like “race realism” or “white nationalism” or economic issues like welfare. The downside is it makes it harder to call out racism since they’ve gotten good at submerging it and giving themselves deniability. Remember what Lee Atwater said:

Lee Atwater posted:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “friend of the family, friend of the family, friend of the family.” By 1968 you can’t say “friend of the family”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “friend of the family, friend of the family.”

D.N. Nation posted:

"Waaah, everyone's mean about the First Lady's fashion sense" definitely doesn't make you look like a whiny-rear end GOP pud, Drinky.

Also it’s funny how he’s making a joke about Melania pretending to be Michelle Obama when she got in trouble for plagiarizing Michelle Obama. I almost think that’s the joke, but Tinsley’s not that clever.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

....wasn't the dinosaur originally red? Good job, Allie.
Typically newspaper cartoons are colored by someone else (cheaply) and they are apparently given little information on the strip or its current story arc. Errors like these happen all the time in color daily cartoons (Sunday strips I believe are colored by the actual artist)

So the creator farmed out the art to an artist who farmed out the coloring to a colorist. Not that working with a colorist is a bad thing, but it’s like working on a Spider-Man comic with a colorist is has literally never read a Spider-Man comic or the current series before they go to work.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Old Man Yells at THOSE drat KIDS

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Manuel Calavera posted:

mate

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Manuel Calavera posted:

Zero surprise that Scott Adams is one of those people who thinks "millennials" means "kids these days" instead of "people in their late 20s to mid-30s". Smartphones didn't become widespread until the millennial generation were adults.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I looked it up and apparently I'm Generation X but also somehow a Millennial. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jerry Cotton posted:

I looked it up and apparently I'm Generation X but also somehow a Millennial. Neat.

Millennials and boomers are eating generation X from both sides like a sausage. You have to pick one or be conscripted into the other,