Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Qwijib0 posted:

eh, it's not a full motion mount, so 16 anchors holding up an average weight panel at ~50lb is about 3 pounds per anchor.

So they need 383 pennies per anchor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the Brexit mind at work

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. They put two screws in the stud, and enough screws that drywall anchors of basically any kind would be fine, and pennies are certainly the cheapest you can get a washer if you're buying less than like 1000 washers.

Like they say, put your money where your mount is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Listen, it's not our fault that you went and chose a unit of weight for your money. You did that long before the metric system.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Tired: nails measured by pennies.
Wired: nails driven through pennies.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

poemdexter posted:

Wired2: nails driven through pennies in to wiring.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

it's a 10-9 penny nail

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

poemdexter posted:

They are screws... nails would just be dumb

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Penny for your thoughts

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

They are screws... nails would just be dumb
never mind

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Where would be the better thread to post my blueprints for an upcoming full house remodel? Here or the design thread? I’d like some unbiased ideas from hypercritical goons.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Post a new thread, link it from here/fix it/interior design IMO.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:yeah:

schmug
May 20, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"High Lord Elbow" posted:

Where would be the better thread to post my blueprints for an upcoming full house remodel? Here or the design thread? I’d like some unbiased ideas from hypercritical goons.
Post a new thread, link it from here/fix it/interior design IMO.

seconding thirding this.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

welcome you to home spergin thread

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Ashcans posted:

Like they say, put your money where your mount is.

i did this and now i'm in jail

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i did this and now i'm in jail

If only you were Vice President this wouldn't be a problem.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
E/N Smashed House Update:

The landlord's insurance adjuster came out today, although I haven't heard what they said yet. The landlord put a plywood patch over the hole in the bedroom wall and a sheet of metal on the roof above the laundry room. Unfortunately, the roof is leaking a ton still and the drywall is starting to fall in. We're supposed to get more ice and snow this weekend so I expect the ceiling will cave in. The power is back on so we'll move back in tomorrow, but I'm worried the rest of the trees will fall and take out the power line or crush some other part of the house.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Why the gently caress would you move back into a damaged house?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The power is back on so we'll move back in tomorrow,

I expect the ceiling will cave in.
Don't Move Back In.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

E/N Smashed House Update:

The landlord's insurance adjuster came out today, although I haven't heard what they said yet. The landlord put a plywood patch over the hole in the bedroom wall and a sheet of metal on the roof above the laundry room. Unfortunately, the roof is leaking a ton still and the drywall is starting to fall in. We're supposed to get more ice and snow this weekend so I expect the ceiling will cave in. The power is back on so we'll move back in tomorrow, but I'm worried the rest of the trees will fall and take out the power line or crush some other part of the house.

Sounds like a plan, keep us posted.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why the gently caress would you move back into a damaged house?

Scarodactyl posted:

Don't Move Back In.

Dude. Don’t move back into a broken house. Do NOT interact with your landlord’s adjuster, he’s there for your landlord not you. Call YOUR adjuster explain the situation and get them to put you up in a hotel. Also take photos of your personal property that is damaged or destroyed.

This is literally WHY you have renter’s insurance.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I'm not moving into god drat hotel when I can stay with my parents! Jesus how many times do I have to say that. I'm pretty sick of staying here though, it's weird staying in my childhood bedroom with my husband.

The laundry room drywall falling in is not exactly a danger to my health and safety as I don't spend a lot of time in there, and so far no possessions have been damaged except all the food in the fridge.

I guess I will ask the landlord if the house is safe. I know y'all don't trust a landlord but we've rented from him for almost 8 years now and he likes us a lot so I doubt he'd put us in harm's way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stay
Out
Of
The
Well

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I guess I will ask the landlord if the house is safe. I know y'all don't trust a landlord but we've rented from him for almost 8 years now and he likes us a lot so I doubt he'd put us in harm's way.

Uh :stare:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I'm not moving into god drat hotel when I can stay with my parents! Jesus how many times do I have to say that. I'm pretty sick of staying here though, it's weird staying in my childhood bedroom with my husband.

The laundry room drywall falling in is not exactly a danger to my health and safety as I don't spend a lot of time in there, and so far no possessions have been damaged except all the food in the fridge.

What did your adjuster suggest?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You’re not a smart person.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Yo, this is the dumbest course of action.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
never trust a landlord

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’d move into a hotel before my loving parents house Jesus. The insurance would pay for it all. My parents have enough stuff going on.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Burt Sexual posted:

What did your adjuster suggest?

They closed my claim for now because none of my personal possessions were damaged. They didn't seem to care about the actual house at all, no talk of having their own adjuster come out to inspect or anything.

Y'all got me doubting my actions now with regards to moving back in. What am I supposed to do, though? Does renter's insurance inspect houses for soundness?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What the christ? The house is not livable. Call your insurance back. Don't take no. Don't move back in.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hey dipshit. The landlord makes money off of you living in that house. He does not make money off of you staying at your parents or a hotel.

That is the basis of your a relationship. You pay him for a place to live. It may not be his fault or your fault that he can't give a place to live right now, but it's your insurance's job to pay you for not living in a deathtrap, and it's his insurance's job to fix his property. The two don't loving mix.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wasabi the J posted:

Hey dipshit. The landlord makes money off of you living in that house. He does not make money off of you staying at your parents or a hotel.

That is the basis of your a relationship. You pay him for a place to live. It may not be his fault or your fault that he can't give a place to live right now, but it's your insurance's job to pay you for not living in a deathtrap, and it's his insurance's job to fix his property. The two don't loving mix.

HelloIAmYourHeart Is not a dipshit, just naively going through this. Advice is good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Oops. Wrong thread.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
So...I’m in the middle of s major renovation. New foundation, digging down a couple of feet for full-height ceilings, while new layout in my 120-year old Victorian.

The foundation’s been done a while and they poured the new slab last week. Today it loving poured and somehow there’s an inch of water covering the new slab. I didn’t see any obvious entry points, but there’s plenty of openings at the moment. (Where the windows are being replaced, and several doors, including one at the bottom of the new steps that could be the main culprit.)

They’re starting the framing, so some wood has already been attached to the slab. How concerned should I be about long term effects from this? I’m assuming when the crew comes in the morning they’ll pump the water out, but what should I ask/demand from the contractor?

They’ve definitely planned for drainage and a sump pump, etc, but it’s nerve wracking. I’d have texted the contractor tonight but I only just discovered it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Burt Sexual posted:

HelloIAmYourHeart Is not a dipshit, just naively going through this. Advice is good.

I'm sorry. You are right.

HelloIAmYourHeart I'm sorry I called you a dipshit. I just really wanted you to hear me; but I was trying to do it into shocking you and I feel I overstepped.

You are really not making a smart choice by not taking advantage of your rights. You are opening yourself up into worse problems for no benefit.

I have anxiety problems so I'm always worried about being an imposition on people for getting what I needed, so I can understand if you have a mental barrier to defeat, but this is literally just talking care of yourself. It's not as if you're taking money from your landlord by taking the hotel stay or any other benefits of your insurance plan; he still gets the rent money from HIS insurance.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The question still remains: how do I determine if the house is safe or not? I just wanna go home. :(

Also I'm going to talk to the landlord about pro-rating the rent.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The question still remains: how do I determine if the house is safe or not? I just wanna go home. :(

Also I'm going to talk to the landlord about pro-rating the rent.

When passersby on the internet stop reading and say to themselves, "I better warn that guy!" Is actually a good start.

You are sympathetic to your landlord so we would assume you're understating damage, and even without extrapolating, your house seems in danger of ceiling collapse. That's not something you can walk off, it could seriously injure or kill someone. Wait until your insurance has assessed the property safe to inhabit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is there a tenant's right organisation in your state?

Given how much variation there is between states, that might be the best place to start. They will have dealt with this sort of thing hundreds of times.

Hopefully, you live somewhere where you have enough rights to get the rent stopped and some sort of deal on your current living expenses.

Googling "missouri tenants rights" gives:

(quote is link)

quote:

Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent in Missouri

Missouri tenants are legally entitled to rental property that meets basic structural, health, and safety standards and is in good repair. If a landlord fails to take care of important maintenance, such as a leaky roof or a broken heater, you have several important legal rights, including:
  • the right to withhold rent until repairs are made

So, it looks like you won't need to pay rent while the place is unlivable.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

They closed my claim for now because none of my personal possessions were damaged. They didn't seem to care about the actual house at all, no talk of having their own adjuster come out to inspect or anything.

Y'all got me doubting my actions now with regards to moving back in. What am I supposed to do, though? Does renter's insurance inspect houses for soundness?

What type of insurance do you actually have? This seems strange to me. Did they even come out? Did you tell them that a tree went through your roof? Do you actually have renter's insurance?

also:

GreenNight posted:

I’d move into a hotel before my loving parents house Jesus. The insurance would pay for it all. My parents have enough stuff going on.

Queen_Combat posted:

What the christ? The house is not livable. Call your insurance back. Don't take no. Don't move back in.

AND!!!

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

never trust a landlord

schmug fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 17, 2019