Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Quorum posted:

The 2% of voters who think Hillary Clinton is actually Satanic and also voted for Hillary Clinton are my favorite people

Should be a higher number IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Quorum posted:

The 2% of voters who think Hillary Clinton is actually Satanic and also voted for Hillary Clinton are my favorite people

This is me. Well, I hoped Hillary was actually Satanic but it turns out she was just devilishly bad at getting elected.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Am I reading correctly that Pelosi is actually preventing Trump from giving a SotU address at this point? Like he can't just show up anyway? If so lol.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Am I reading correctly that Pelosi is actually preventing Trump from giving a SotU address at this point? Like he can't just show up anyway? If so lol.
Holy loving poo poo if this is true. :eyepop:

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Maybe?

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1085544081504260097

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is 100% accurate. Speaker Pelosi has the complete right to refuse Trump to step foot on the floor--it's where the whole "knock on the door" ritual comes from.

Trump is legally required to brief congress on the state of the union. He is not required to get an audience or give a speech--hell, it can probably be argued that he can tweet the drat thing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

OAquinas posted:

This is 100% accurate. Speaker Pelosi has the complete right to refuse Trump to step foot on the floor--it's where the whole "knock on the door" ritual comes from.

Trump is legally required to brief congress on the state of the union. He is not required to get an audience or give a speech--hell, it can probably be argued that he can tweet the drat thing.
Oh man, I sincerely hope she sticks to her guns and refuses his State of the Union until he re-opens the government. Pleeeeeease. :pray:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

OAquinas posted:

I do love these casual reminders that the office of President is directly modeled on that of King.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JazzFlight posted:

Oh man, I sincerely hope she sticks to her guns and refuses his State of the Union until he re-opens the government. Pleeeeeease. :pray:

I wouldn't mind if we went back to it being a letter. The State Of The Union address is largely pageantry anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OAquinas posted:

Yup. He is only required to communicate it to Congress; the time, place, and manner are not specified. That, combined with Congress's broad control over its own operations, lets Pelosi win this one.

The big speech to a joint session is a relatively recent tradition, Presidents in the past have done it by mail. A tweet is almost certainly permissible.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 16, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JazzFlight posted:

She has no reason to fold on this. She has a majority of the population on her side and him doing this during an increasingly longer and possibly long term shut down is bad comedy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1085617289943310336

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
Nancy Pelosi, De-platforming Advocate:

https://twitter.com/JohnBerman/status/1085581047365070848

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Helsing posted:

I do love these casual reminders that the office of President is directly modeled on that of King.

IMO, the President’s symbolic kingship is a problem with the US system of government. The President is perceived as having a degree of dignity simply by virtue of holding the office in a way that, say, the Speaker of the House (or the UK Prime Minister) isn’t. Maybe there should be some sort of separate “rex sacer” position to absorb some of the ceremonial importance.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
The real problem is that the founding fathers knew that had to have safeguards against morons like Trump getting elected but were too enamored with :decorum: to make those safeguards strong enough.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Silver2195 posted:

IMO, the President’s symbolic kingship is a problem with the US system of government. The President is perceived as having a degree of dignity simply by virtue of holding the office in a way that, say, the Speaker of the House (or the UK Prime Minister) isn’t. Maybe there should be some sort of separate “rex sacer” position to absorb some of the ceremonial importance.

In a lot of (most, really) countries, the position of president/prime minister/head of state or whatever the local version is called is associated with a very aspirational quality. It's expected that whoever seeks or holds that position will be well educated and eloquent and will try to be the best example of the language and culture. In practice the results are a bit mixed, but in that context ascribing a lot of ceremonial importance to that role makes a lot more sense.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The polar vortex has fractured, and the eastern U.S. faces a punishing stretch of winter weather

quote:

While forecasters cannot predict exactly how cold it will get this year, where and when big storms will form and who will get the most snow, Cohen said to expect “intense periods of winter weather becoming more frequent including more frequent episodes of arctic outbreaks."

Because of the developing El Nino event, which adds moisture to storms traveling across the South, the snow potential will also be enhanced during this period. “We’re seeing all of these southern stream storms, which will act as seedlings for nor’easters,” Ventrice said.

tl;dr buy a new pair of boots, extra road salt, and also prep for some 'GUESS GLOBAL WARMING IS A HOAX' from the usual places.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

I think it's just a symptom of the bigger problem of having the executive and legislative branches being so separate under the American constitution. In most systems the equivalent to Speaker of the House would be the head of government.

Well What Now posted:

The real problem is that the founding fathers knew that had to have safeguards against morons like Trump getting elected but were too enamored with :decorum: to make those safeguards strong enough.

Trump won because of the electoral college so he actually go in thanks to one of the 'safeguards' against democracy that the founders put in place.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

The polar vortex has fractured, and the eastern U.S. faces a punishing stretch of winter weather

tl;dr buy a new pair of boots, extra road salt, and also prep for some 'GUESS GLOBAL WARMING IS A HOAX' from the usual places.

Meanwhile, watch that polar ice melttt.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Well What Now posted:

its not even really :decorum: for the founding fathers because the constitution was never meant to be a permanent solution which is why there was a giant fight for the bill of rights and poo poo. the constitution was basically an alright compromise to create some sort of national government that worked and was strong enough to unite the quaroling states but not strong enough to be a king or some poo poo.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Helsing posted:

I think it's just a symptom of the bigger problem of having the executive and legislative branches being so separate under the American constitution. In most systems the equivalent to Speaker of the House would be the head of government.

Trump won because of the electoral college so he actually go in thanks to one of the 'safeguards' against democracy that the founders put in place.

Rich white racist got into office? System working as intended, tbh.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Helsing posted:

I think it's fine to have separate executive and legislative branches, but the presidency is a little weird. Instead we should elect the head of the various departments separately and eliminate the presidency altogether. Then you wouldn't have such centralized power and people could have more fine-grained control over which policies to promote.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

Someone made the point on twitter when the fires were going in California and there were literally more than a thousand people unaccounted for, the NY-based national news morning shows only gave it a few minutes of grimaced facial expressions, but an inconvenient weather event like this will receive hours upon hours of oh the humanity!!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its not even really :decorum: for the founding fathers because the constitution was never meant to be a permanent solution which is why there was a giant fight for the bill of rights and poo poo. the constitution was basically an alright compromise to create some sort of national government that worked and was strong enough to unite the quaroling states but not strong enough to be a king or some poo poo.

Yeah, everyone forgets that most of those same dudes helped write the Articles of Confederation, which fell apart within a decade

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

I think it's fine to have separate executive and legislative branches, but the presidency is a little weird. Instead we should elect the head of the various departments separately and eliminate the presidency altogether. Then you wouldn't have such centralized power and people could have more fine-grained control over which policies to promote.

I'm not sure this would be workable; there probably needs to be more coordination between the departments than such a system would lead to. I do think that a dual presidency, with one in charge of foreign policy (State and Defense Departments), and the other in charge of domestic policy (most of the other departments), is worth considering, though. One problem with the current system is that Presidents are elected mainly based on domestic policy, but actually have more power over foreign policy; the person in charge of foreign policy actually having to run on a foreign policy platform might be an improvement.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

"People" here being rich folks and a handful of well organized interest groups.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, everyone forgets that most of those same dudes helped write the Articles of Confederation, which fell apart within a decade

Arguably the greatest mistake the founders made (other than everything regarding slavery) was recognizing the necessity of having a process to amend the Constitution, but then making that process so arduous that it could only rarely be used in noncontroversial or exceptional circumstances with no in-between.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

a decent amount of them yeah. the founders were smart dudes but they wernt magical perfect gods like the right writes them rear end. they mostly turned on each other after washington 2nd term, if not before that, over the french revolution and what america should do with Jefferson being kinda of proto Trotsky with his opinions and president adams waging a cold war against the french and being a thin skinned rear end in a top hat.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Arguably the greatest mistake the founders made (other than everything regarding slavery) was recognizing the necessity of having a process to amend the Constitution, but then making that process so arduous that it could only rarely be used in noncontroversial or exceptional circumstances with no in-between.

oh agreed. but back then, but i think their minds of that time couldnt comprehend a person like trump. like sure, lovely failson leaders existed but they mostly sat around loving people and pissing away the treasury until they died. mad dog king/leader type dipshits like trump existed but they were usually "taken care of" by some smarter member of the royal family.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh agreed. but back then, but i think their minds of that time couldnt comprehend a person like trump. like sure, lovely failson leaders existed but they mostly sat around loving people and pissing away the treasury until they died. mad dog king/leader type dipshits like trump existed but they were usually "taken care of" by some smarter member of the royal family.

Essentially, nation-state political bureaucracies were well into the phase of removing monarchs from power in all but name. It didn't matter too much if the King of England, France, or the Pope was a genetic abomination that spent most of their time looking for the mushroom that would grant them immortality. They were not in charge of taxation or raising armies.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1085718482161942529

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

If SpaceX BFR works, you could put up a lot of military hardware in orbit that is just not feasible today because of the expense and mass restrictions.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Also not seen before or during that period

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

If SpaceX BFR works, you could put up a lot of military hardware in orbit that is just not feasible today because of the expense and mass restrictions.

cost is definitely not the problem when it comes to military spacecraft, but rather the bad precedent of starting a cold war and escalation of force in space. the best thing is the status quo where everyone just puts spy satellites in orbit and has a gentleman's agreement not to blow up other people's stuff because of the risk of space debris

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Apparently Jefferson thought there would be a new Constitutional Convention like, every generation or so.

The Founders didn’t expect that the Constitution would be all but set in stone, and treated like holy scripture by conservatives.

But honestly becoming hide-bound is a problem that often, often creeps up when you have a government that’s gone several hundred years without being violently overthrown like the US government has. We Americans tend to think of our country as a fairly young one, but we actually have one of the oldest continuous governments in the world, behind only Britain and some little places like San Marino. This has advantages and disadvantages.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's the biggest "if" I've seen in a long time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

luxury handset posted:

cost is definitely not the problem when it comes to military spacecraft, but rather the bad precedent of starting a cold war and escalation of force in space. the best thing is the status quo where everyone just puts spy satellites in orbit and has a gentleman's agreement not to blow up other people's stuff because of the risk of space debris

If we could put a hundred ton weapon systems in orbit, in one piece, for cheap, we would have done so long before now.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Is this why we’ve suddenly been inundated with breathless reports of China’s advanced missle technology apparently springing full grown like Athena from Zeus’ forehead?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Helsing posted:

She should tell him to come on out, but leave the door locked so he just stands there banging on the door while everyone inside laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The only missile defense weapons that work from space are nuclear powered, and by nuclear powered I mean they are atomic bombs.