Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

How does this affect british cringe comedy production?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

incoherent posted:

Its moved onto the news channels.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Elevator Screamer posted:

No gay stuff either, unless the information protected by the UK's last remaining super-injunctions is true.

Well now what's this about?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
May just said in a press conference there will be talks tomorrow and implied Corbyn hasnt offered to take part, lmao

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

gently caress the DUP

some wise soul scrawled this up in my rickety rear end office elevator a few weeks ago

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

CactusWeasle posted:

May just said in a press conference there will be talks tomorrow and implied Corbyn hasnt offered to take part, lmao

she'll talk, poorly

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

incoherent posted:

Mitchell and Webb are prophets.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I think the most prophetic of Mitchell and Webb sketches so far has been

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

Though the one above is great

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pity that Webb turned out to be a massive oval office 'ey

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

y'all are hosed, lmao

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

JFairfax posted:

Pity that Webb turned out to be a massive oval office 'ey

Some people just really, really hate trans people I guess. It's a weird hill to die on when they claim to be a femnist and hate misogyny.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

hemale in pain posted:

Some people just really, really hate trans people I guess. It's a weird hill to die on when they claim to be a femnist and hate misogyny.

G E N D E R C R I T I C A L

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Preston Waters posted:

That's how it's always been. If you don't have a majority, you can't pass anything!

just in case I'm not picking up on sarcasm, yeah, I know this would paralyse day to day activities. but how about just selectively requiring super-majorities for the really really big questions like "how about we commit political suicide" or "letting foreign agents destabilise us is totally good and cool, y/n"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i'm all the comments yelling about how sinister villain corbyn is forcing poor theresa may into no deal

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/SteveJHucker/status/1085629907701583877

you have no fuckin leverage on the eu aaaaaaaaaa

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I'm from the land of MAGA, so i'm kinda confused. It seems like the Tories are hosed, with May holding a poo poo deal no one wants and the EU unwilling to negotiate for whatever crazy demands they wanted. Why wouldn't the Tories go and pass off a poo poo situation to Labour, so that they can them blame anything that happens on Corbyn?

The UK is basically neofeudal, and Corbyn straight up says he will hold the aristocracy accountable for rape and will take the grain so the poor don't starve in winter. The superstructure of the UK can withstand almost anything, we could have natural disaster, recession, domestic war, foreign war, disease epidemic, absolute protectionism etc it doesn't matter, the rich of the UK would remain rich.

The only threat to the rich of the UK is an explicit manifesto promise that they won't be able to take the piss any more. The UK establishment would literally sacrifice half the population to the goat gods and burn every willow tree in England before they allowed Corbyn/lefty people close to government. The economic hit of brexit is an absolute irrelevance to them in comparison to the threat of weakening the superstructure.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

hakimashou posted:

Where did this demented "you cant have another referendum we already had one" argument come from anyway.

It comes from the idea that if a referendum happens then the result of that referendum should be carried out, not dismissed. Having a second referendum before the first has been carried out dismisses the result of the first referendum.

This is basic stuff guys gotta be honest.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Vitamin P posted:

It comes from the idea that if a referendum happens then the result of that referendum should be carried out, not dismissed. Having a second referendum before the first has been carried out dismisses the result of the first referendum.

This is basic stuff guys gotta be honest.

But the second referendum overrides the first one.

MPs don't get to refuse to stand for reelection because they didnt do everything they wanted to do already.

How can any argument against a second referendum not be self defeating? It seems like all such arguments are self defeating because they rely on the will of the people being expressed by a referendum.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Jan 17, 2019

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Well now what's this about?

Nobody knows for certain because :ssh:super-injunctions:ssh:, which were phased out in the rest of the UK years ago but still exist in Northern Ireland.

An FOI request a few years back revealed that NI still has 6 of them in place - allegedly 5 for DUP members and 1 for a portly Northern Irish BBC television host. Weirdly, this is another one of those areas where the DUP absolutely insist that NI is a special place and *must* be subject to different rules than the rest of the UK.

:effort:post incoming that really doesn't belong ITT. But since these fuckers are propping up the Tories right now I guess maybe it might.

Below is all hearsay and speculation:

Jeffrey Donaldson (DUP, MP for Lagan Valley): professional Daniel O'Donnell lookalike and former junior advisor to Enoch Powell. He claimed expenses on several hundred pounds worth of "other" hotel movie rentals while staying in London on parliamentary business. He was also visited in said hotels by several hot young twinks who had serious concerns about the peace process that could only be placated in person.

Rev. William McCrea (DUP, MP for Mid Ulster): Reverend in the Free Presbyterian Church. He was a frequent visitor to and supporter of the Kincora Boys Home, a state care home for disadvantaged teenage boys in Belfast. For purely philanthropic reasons, many Tory politicians took a special interest in the plight of these young adolescents and travelled there at great personal risk throughout the 1970s when the Troubles were at their height. McCrea's unflinching support and continued silence on the issue resulted him being bestowed the title Baron McCrea of Magherafelt and Cookstown, despite being a fairly low-key member of a party that has traditionally been a thorn in the side of the UK government.

Ian Paisley Jr (DUP, MP for North Antrim): He's been in a spot of bother over accepting paid holidays in luxury foreign climes recently. He's the son of the party's founding father, a devout Christian and devoted husband/father. He's also been loving Emma Little-Pengelly (DUP, MP for Belfast South) on the side. Little-Pengelly is a surprise rising star within the DUP. Her father was a Loyalist terrorist who got caught in a sting operation, trying to import large shipments of arms in partnership with 2 senior DUP members. He took the fall and the DUP were let off the hook. This likely has no connection to her rise within the party.

Peter Robinson (former First Minister, former DUP party leader): Husband of Iris Robinson (DUP, former MP for Strangford). Helped procure £50K in loans to an enterprising young 19-year old man who wanted to open up a local restaurant. Iris was banging that teenage cock seven ways to Sunday. After she was forced to resign her MLA position she was replaced by Jonathan Bell (DUP MLA, Strangford), another rising star in the DUP promoted by her husband. He was so aggressively threatening towards women in the party that at least 2 made formal complaints, and in one case the threats were considered so credible that the PSNI (Police Service of Northern Ireland) provided a personal protection team to prevent him approaching her residence.

tl;dr: The DUP are a sound bunch of lads and totally deserve their role as Brexit kingmakers.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

hakimashou posted:

But the second referendum overrides the first one.

Which will be overridden by the second, which is overridden by the third, which is overridden by the fourth etc.

Democracy is absolutist, of course every system will have structural flaws but the underlying ideal expressed through the particular framework is non-negotiable, that's the point, that's why the first thing fascists and theocrats do is remove democracy. If you dismiss a democratic referendum then you are dismissing the expression of the people living within that democratic framework and that makes you a right nasty little oval office that needs a slap.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vitamin P posted:

Which will be overridden by the second, which is overridden by the third, which is overridden by the fourth etc.

Democracy is absolutist, of course every system will have structural flaws but the underlying ideal expressed through the particular framework is non-negotiable, that's the point, that's why the first thing fascists and theocrats do is remove democracy. If you dismiss a democratic referendum then you are dismissing the expression of the people living within that democratic framework and that makes you a right nasty little oval office that needs a slap.

The first referendum was a non-binding resolution based on information that has since radically changed the scenario.

But yeah it's undemocratic to check with the people a couple years later better just grit your teeth and bear whatever comes right.

I was talking to someone that told me "but if they had to have votes and referendums every 2-4 years there would be chaos!" But uh that's what democracy is lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The underlying ideal being what exactly because it was sold on a bunch of malarkey that is turning out to be total stinking bullshit and being managed by a totally inept and catastrophically disconnected government leadership.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Vitamin P posted:

If democracy was absolutist in the way you claim to believe you think it is, then all elections would be for permanent offices that the winners held for life. It isnt.

Instead, periodic elections override the previous ones in a long chain going on forever, with the aim being to make the government reflect the will of the people it governs.

Dismissing calls for a second referendum is "dismissing the expression of people living within that democratic framework."

Its self defeating. If referendums matter so much, then you are obliged to have another referendum, since they are really important.

"Democracy is all-important, so we must under no circumstances let the people vote on this" is gibberish. All these inane objections to a second referendum are gibberish.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

look Britain voted to pull the trigger on the gun held to its temple 2 years ago so by god that trigger must be pulled

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

look Britain voted to pull the trigger on the gun held to its temple 2 years ago so by god that trigger must be pulled

Yinlock posted:

you have no fuckin leverage on the eu aaaaaaaaaa

My take away from brexit.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Think of it as an acrylic cover for a 'you better know what you're doing' button.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

The first referendum was a non-binding resolution based on information that has since radically changed the scenario.

The information hasn't changed since the 'scenario', and even if it meaningfully had that has no bearing on democracy. The guardian had an interesting article about that same point today actually https://www.theguardian.com/global/commentisfree/2019/jan/16/second-brexit-referendum-mps-democracy-peoples-vote

hakimashou posted:

If democracy was absolutist in the way you claim to believe you think it is, then all elections would be for permanent offices that the winners held for life. It isnt.

Instead, periodic elections override the previous ones in a long chain going on forever, with the aim being to make the government reflect the will of the people it governs.

Dismissing calls for a second referendum is "dismissing the expression of people living within that democratic framework."

Its self defeating. If referendums matter so much, then you are obliged to have another referendum, since they are really important.

"Democracy is all-important, so we must under no circumstances let the people vote on this" is gibberish. All these inane objections to a second referendum are gibberish.

Responding to your sentences in order, democratic expression is absolute. The framework is obviously temporal though and so election cycles are a thing.

Yeah no poo poo.

Yeah no poo poo sucks to be them.

Nope. You earlier and implied here conflated systemic periodic elections with discrete referendums. Dumb thing to do as they are clearly not the same thing but if you want me to talk you through it I will but will probs be a right patronising oval office about it.

"Democracy is all-important, so we must under no circumstances let the people vote on this" Dunno where you got that quote from, it's a very stupid statement. Obviously democracy is important, and democracy means that a popular vote which is ordered must be carried out. I assume you are doing some FBPE bullshit here but I don't even see the angle you're going for.

Vitamin P has issued a correction as of 03:42 on Jan 17, 2019

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Vitamin P posted:

The information hasn't changed since the 'scenario', and even if it meaningfully had that has no bearing on democracy. The guardian had an interesting article about that same point today actually https://www.theguardian.com/global/commentisfree/2019/jan/16/second-brexit-referendum-mps-democracy-peoples-vote

That's actually a dumb article, and the idea that "the information hasn't changed" is laughable.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vitamin P posted:

The information hasn't changed since the 'scenario', and even if it meaningfully had that has no bearing on democracy.

Well, it obviously has and obviously it does so you're just dumb I guess; good luck with your country!

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
luv 2 see this hot take on freedom being the primacy of prior decisions in any other context of ongoing consent (no i wouldnt)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Norton the First posted:

That's actually a dumb article, and the idea that "the information hasn't changed" is laughable.

Moridin920 posted:

Well, it obviously has and obviously it does so you're just dumb I guess; good luck with your country!

The article is actually very sound and you've both misunderstood the term information in the context of a discrete past event.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I don't think this is a big deal, it's not like any western power could be completely deadlocked and non-functional over the dumbest loving poo poo for like over a month. That's absurd.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Vitamin P posted:

The article is actually very sound and you've both misunderstood the term information in the context of a discrete past event.
are you taking the piss m8

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

stiff upper lipping themselves into oblivion for no reason is like the british dream

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Hot take: democracy is not that important. Don't destroy your country to protect its sanctity.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
It's weird as gently caress that a country that still lusts after its monarchy suddenly cares this much about democracy that they're willing to shoot themselves in the face over it.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Judakel posted:

It's weird as gently caress that a country that still lusts after its monarchy suddenly cares this much about democracy that they're willing to shoot themselves in the face over it.

Watch this, it's very good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2W7P3wGBI8

It's a rather good thesis about how all British people want to gently caress the Queen and that's why we lust after monarchy. From my life experience, it's probably true and tells you everything about Brexit.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Vitamin P posted:

Responding to your sentences in order, democratic expression is absolute. The framework is obviously temporal though and so election cycles are a thing.

Yeah no poo poo.

Yeah no poo poo sucks to be them.

Nope. You earlier and implied here conflated systemic periodic elections with discrete referendums. Dumb thing to do as they are clearly not the same thing but if you want me to talk you through it I will but will probs be a right patronising oval office about it.

"Democracy is all-important, so we must under no circumstances let the people vote on this" Dunno where you got that quote from, it's a very stupid statement. Obviously democracy is important, and democracy means that a popular vote which is ordered must be carried out. I assume you are doing some FBPE bullshit here but I don't even see the angle you're going for.

You can have one referendum and then another one later just like any other kind of vote.

The main point is that it is inane to claim that because a referendum is very important and matters a lot, that you must not have a referendum. If referendums matter a lot and are very important, then that gives you a reason to have another one.

In context of the UK's particular system of democracy, these ideas are even more asinine. If yesterday's parliament cannot vote to bind tomorrow's parliament, then why should yesterday's referendum vote to bind tomorrow's? It should not.

In fact this is just a fig leaf, and a meagre and transparent one at that. It's not difficult to see that these people's real motive is a desire not to see the outcome of the first referendum changed. Their motive is not to ensure that what happens is what the people want to happen. If that was their motive, they would support holding a second referendum.

Having fooled people once, it is less likely that they'd be able to fool them again, and they know it.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 05:39 on Jan 17, 2019

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Judakel posted:

If they cared about democracy they'd want another referendum. They care about leaving the EU more than they care about democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
is Corbyn calling for people to hit the streets yet?