Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I don't mind her, but there were a few times in the latest ep where there was a bit of dead air and it sounded like everyone else was waiting for Max to chime in with a joke.

Barney's cool because he takes it upon himself to wind up the others as much as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

webmeister posted:

I don't mind her, but there were a few times in the latest ep where there was a bit of dead air and it sounded like everyone else was waiting for Max to chime in with a joke.

Barney's cool because he takes it upon himself to wind up the others as much as possible

his windups sound genuinely hostile though which is weird for a chummy podcast

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Ronay and Wilson are gold together

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

It's more fun when Barry starts pushing Ronay's buttons. The witch's curse episode was brilliant.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:
is it weird that i prefer max to ac jimbo? like to the point where i don't really listen to the TFS but i do listen to football weekly -- might be because of the other people they have on the shows as well, but i just find max to be a friendlier, easier listen.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Jimbo is a good presenter but not really a great "personality". Having a personality is better for longform casual media like a podcast imo. Listening to Jimbo he felt robotic at times, like he never really actually shared any personal insights or opinions, he was just there to steer conversation.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Homura posted:

is it weird that i prefer max to ac jimbo? like to the point where i don't really listen to the TFS but i do listen to football weekly -- might be because of the other people they have on the shows as well, but i just find max to be a friendlier, easier listen.

No, I've actually found Jimbo without Barry to be pretty tedious and rarely listen to TFS unless I'm out of other pods and bored. Budget Phillipe on TFS is grating as hell.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Bundy posted:

No, I've actually found Jimbo without Barry to be pretty tedious and rarely listen to TFS unless I'm out of other pods and bored. Budget Phillipe on TFS is grating as hell.

I feel exactly the same way -- miss the Jimbo/Barry connection, but I'll take Max/Barry over Jimbo/TFS people. Maybe the key to all this is that Barry was the most important part?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
literally no one likes jimbo. He’s an insufferable prig

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Jimbo's puns are great but are the only thing that I miss about him hosting FW. Max took a while to get into the swing of it but I think he's a better host now

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I like Jimbo and find Barry/Barney insufferable. :shrug:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Seltzer posted:

Jimbo is a good presenter but not really a great "personality". Having a personality is better for longform casual media like a podcast imo. Listening to Jimbo he felt robotic at times, like he never really actually shared any personal insights or opinions, he was just there to steer conversation.

This sums up all my opinions really well tbh, I don't miss anything about how Jimbo hosted FW that Max doesn't now cover, and TFS feels really stilted at times with Jimbo as host, because of how much he just steers the conversation rather than actually engaging

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

This sums up all my opinions really well tbh, I don't miss anything about how Jimbo hosted FW that Max doesn't now cover, and TFS feels really stilted at times with Jimbo as host, because of how much he just steers the conversation rather than actually engaging

Yep. I made the choice last year to stick with FW and haven’t regretted it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Max is just so charmingly affable and self deprecating, plus he actually offers his own opinions on the football which I don’t remember Jimbo doing that often. His puns were great but that’s not a great reason to listen to a third football show each week.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

webmeister posted:

I get the feeling Max might have been better at reining in Ronay/Wilson so that Barney could get a word in.

I'm warming to Ronay, he seems like he's just socially inept and so cant really judge if/when he's turning into a bit of a twat, which I think we can probably all relate to a bit. Wilson and Barney seem to get it and indulge his inappropriately aggressive snark with a bit of light ribbing of their own to deflate the atmosphere and stop it descending into a witches curse meltdown.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Mandalay posted:

I like Jimbo and find Barry/Barney insufferable. :shrug:

I find Barney pretty insufferable too

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Stop calling Barry Barney ffs

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
gently caress me, Lars (?) looks like a neckbeard Haley Joel Osment

https://twitter.com/fayecarruthers/status/1085884118909575168?s=11

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bglendenning/status/1086074516030148611?s=19

The greatest cross over event in history I never knew I wanted until now.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Craig Foster did almost all the football punditry in Australia for a decade, he's a good lad

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bogan Krkic posted:

Craig Foster did almost all the football punditry in Australia for a decade, he's a good lad

Also isn't Max on foxsports often? Speaking of Football Weekly/Fox Sports Australia crossover events.

edit:

"Coming from a man who told me he spent his time in Malta in an Irish pub."

:colbert: "... an Irish pub watching the darts."

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 18, 2019

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Was that jim doing a pete impression on the ad in the ramble today?

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

algebra testes posted:

"Coming from a man who told me he spent his time in Malta in an Irish pub."

:colbert: "... an Irish pub watching the darts."

I loving loved this

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mickolution posted:

gently caress me, Lars (?) looks like a neckbeard Haley Joel Osment

https://twitter.com/fayecarruthers/status/1085884118909575168?s=11

So present day Haley Joel Osment?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

So present day Haley Joel Osment?

Yes, but moreso.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

"much like how you can't be a little bit pregnant, you can't be a little bit offside -- you either are or you aren't, you know?"

"yeah, that was fractionally offside"

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Listeners of Total Soccer Show probably already know, but in case any of them missed the latest episode, co-host Daryl Grove was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer that has spread to his liver last week.

If you wanted to throw him a few bones, his friend has set up a GoFundMe for him. https://www.gofundme.com/f/team-daryl-grove

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I've only just started listening to Quickly Kevin and wish I had done it ages ago, absolute magic.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I've only just started listening to Quickly Kevin and wish I had done it ages ago, absolute magic.

It's great OP

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I wish FW would get rid of Lars. His voice is unpleasant, his jokes are pretty much never funny, and he's rarely if ever insightful. Maybe he could get a job at The Totally Football Show, in Association with Paddy Power.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All I know is "If a snake were a vegetable mark wouldn't eat it" was pretty funny imo.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I’m listening to the Jim Rosenthal episode of Quickly Kevin and lmao at the Sir Bobby stories

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I loved how right back in the first episode they realised the title was a misquote and immediately doubled down on it :xd:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
New podcast idea: jimbo and j wilson do silent witness episode recaps.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Wilson telling Max to gently caress off was gold.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How have Bob and Andy not dropped the loving Roy Hodgson segment it is so bad

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

julian assflange posted:

How have Bob and Andy not dropped the loving Roy Hodgson segment it is so bad

I like when he said warhammer the first time.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Von Linus posted:

I like when he said warhammer the first time.

Wawammah

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Seems like there hasn't been a Gangs of the EPL in a long time, possibly since the World Cup? Hopefully it's not finished, though the South African story this week was the first in a while and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Mickolution posted:

Seems like there hasn't been a Gangs of the EPL in a long time, possibly since the World Cup? Hopefully it's not finished, though the South African story this week was the first in a while and it was great.

He can't use half of the characters apart from the Spurs lads because most of them have moved to different teams. the united gang had wade rooney and zlatan in it! I would like to see Vardy come back though