Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wish this video game had a face so i could punch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Everything about YIIK just looks like the most miserable poo poo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i feel kinda bad about ragging on it cause the devs seem alright, but

i don't know how you go like four years of development and still have those text boxes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Everything about YIIK just looks like the most miserable poo poo
saw a tweet refer to it as 'a game made entirely of bad something awful posts,' and, yeah

lol at the part of the kotaku review where they assume it must be post-modern literally because it has the words 'post-modern' in its name, and still hate it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

saw a tweet refer to it as 'a game made entirely of bad something awful posts,' and, yeah

lol at the part of the kotaku review where they assume it must be post-modern literally because it has the words 'post-modern' in its name, and still hate it

jesus

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

There may be a method to some of this clumsiness; the game is called A Postmodern RPG, after all. I wouldn’t be completely surprised if later on in the game the layers of nostalgia and unpolished gameplay get slowly pulled back, revealing an even weirder, less-linear game underneath. Sadly, I’m not sure I have the willpower to hold out for any potential breakthrough.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

Finally, a game for every tween and teen who leaves a comments on music videos from before the 90's complaining about how their classmates have poo poo taste and that this is REAL MUSIC.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
GOD BLESS THE PRETENDERS THIS WAS WHEN MUSIC MEANT SOMETHING AND WASN'T ABOUT THE JOINTS OR WHATEVER POST MARLONE IS SMOKING :P

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Snooze Cruise posted:

Finally, a game for every neonate and teen who leaves a comments on music videos from before the 90's complaining about how their classmates have poo poo taste and that this is REAL MUSIC.
I can't really fault them too much for this because they are, in all likelihood, repeating word for word what their lovely parents said and will be very embarrassed of this when they develop a music taste of their own

Also, yeah, what I've seen of YIIK looks pretty cringey.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I can't really fault them too much for this because they are, in all likelihood, repeating word for word what their lovely parents said and will be very embarrassed of this when they develop a music taste of their own

Also, yeah, what I've seen of YIIK looks pretty cringey.

Oh I don't fault them at all either and probably left some cringey comments on David Bowie videos lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i left comments like that on vocaloid songs

and i still believe them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How long until we need the term "classic vocaloid" as a music genre descriptor

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

cheetah7071 posted:

be the change you want to see in the world

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

we already have it

I still haven't played half the songs in Future Tone because they sound god awful

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

post the main character's design

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just finished Mother 3. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I think I'm going to go to bed and gather my thoughts in the morning.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Looper posted:

He is exactly that guy who has been trying to get you to listen to Neutral Milk Hotel for like 6 years jesus CHRIST dude I GET IT

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Looper posted:

e: lol

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah I dont want to be rude but I dont want to roleplay as a dude that's the president of the anime club

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a better low effort Switch game coming out tomorrow: Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

YIIK more like YUCK haha

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wait is that II as in Roman numeral 2 and it's called Y2K? :psyduck:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yiis

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

isu

ancient chair disappeared

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Wait is that II as in Roman numeral 2 and it's called Y2K? :psyduck:

You got it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
people need to stop making videogames about the y2k crisis

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tired Moritz posted:

people need to stop making videogames about the y2k crisis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HtVepJZtYI

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

YIIK more like YUCK haha

YIIKES

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I assume you are supposed to root for the antagonists in this game?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
YIIR: A Postmodomata

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Insert reference here to that VN that has "Y2K Orphans" as a plot point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
From the reviews, my understanding is that you're supposed to play this game "ironically," except it's not even good enough for that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Are they supposed to have completely mismatched art styles?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when is someone going to make a spiritual successor to CYBER DOLL, the sega saturn jrpg about how a scientist creating a cure for aids leads to the evolution of virus that loosens people's muscles and pushes the world into a cyberpunk future where people are immortal because replacing their muscles with machinery gave them endless life spans and they impeached the president of america for trying to make them mortal again

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

He is exactly that guy who has been trying to get you to listen to Neutral Milk Hotel for like 6 years jesus CHRIST dude I GET IT

Oh yeah. I have a friend, who has a brother, who is that guy.

One time my friend, a friend of his, and his brother were suppose to go to a Huey Lewis and the News Concert. The brother was like "yo check it out, I got this new record player" and made them stand there and listen to an entire Huey Lewis album in silence, causing them to be late to the concert.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pwvVpmSPk0&t=72s

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

God this is just a rapid fire of concepts and ideas lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Colonel posted:

when is someone going to make a spiritual successor to CYBER DOLL, the sega saturn jrpg about how a scientist creating a cure for aids leads to the evolution of virus that loosens people's muscles and pushes the world into a cyberpunk future where people are immortal because replacing their muscles with machinery gave them endless life spans and they impeached the president of america for trying to make them mortal again

:coolfish: always hungry for this kind of vg esoterica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh i feel like "Year: 1997, the world famous virologist Dr. Maria Ralos discovered a cure for the devil's virus, AIDS. However, centuries before, a great visionary, Nostrodamus, prophesied a greater disaster." as like, two halves of a single combined statement as literally the first thing established about the setting of your jrpg, is one of the most powerful moves ever written