Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Take advantage of how easy it is to cancel/restart Netflix. They’ll keep your watch list and everything. I hop around from one streaming service to the next because I figure I shouldn’t be watching so much that I need multiple ones at a time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

On US Amazon Prime, Eighth Grade is a great flick. Written and directed by Bo Burnham. You wouldn't think it's his directorial debut. It's well-acted, especially the main actress, it has great direction and cinematography, just overall a well-made film. Watched it a couple days ago, highly recommended.

vvvvv
Edit: Sprint pays for my Hulu... which is good, because it's terrible.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 15, 2019

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I’m not sure if they still offer it, but T-Mobile pays for my Netflix every month. Aside from the couple extra dollars I pay for the ultra HD or whatever.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

On US Amazon Prime, Eighth Grade is a great flick. Written and directed by Bo Burnham. You wouldn't think it's his directorial debut. It's well-acted, especially the main actress, it has great direction and cinematography, just overall a well-made film. Watched it a couple days ago, highly recommended.

It really is fantastic. I'm a man in my 40s but it really made me feel my middle school years in a way that no other media has managed, while at the same time highlighting how different things are for kids today.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So with Netflix raising their prices again, and my sudden realization that I hate 98% of the Netflix Original poo poo they put out (which is about the only thing they do anymore), I am eyeing Hulu. So quick question: how are the commercials in the base sub? Commercials don't bother me the way they seem to do with some people but movies aren't interrupted for them or anything, right?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The commercials didn't bother me when I first signed up for Hulu (about three per break) but it was the fact they were the SAME three commercials, every break, every show, that got me to upgrade after about five hours of streaming content.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

So with Netflix raising their prices again, and my sudden realization that I hate 98% of the Netflix Original poo poo they put out (which is about the only thing they do anymore), I am eyeing Hulu. So quick question: how are the commercials in the base sub? Commercials don't bother me the way they seem to do with some people but movies aren't interrupted for them or anything, right?

Movies aren't interrupted, but the ads can be distracting in older shows, because rather than using the natural act breaks they'll just slot ads in at some other interval that doesn't fit the action at all. That's why I upgraded to ad-free, it was ruining The Outer Limits for me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Honestly I think the commercials are better now than they were a year or so back when I last had it. I upgraded to commercial-free after a day or so back then, but I haven't been pushed to that yet this time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hulu lets me pay $6 a month for some reason, so I'm perfectly content with the commercials. Commercials never really bothered me in TV the way it did with my dad. I mean my parents will Tevo Survivor on and watch something else for 20 minutes so that they can fast forward through the commercials.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Hulu lets me pay $6 a month for some reason, so I'm perfectly content with the commercials. Commercials never really bothered me in TV the way it did with my dad. I mean my parents will Tevo Survivor on and watch something else for 20 minutes so that they can fast forward through the commercials.

poo poo, I do that with most sports now if I'm not watching with other people. Start recording and switch over after 30 min or so.

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
My brother recommended me “The Little Hours” with John c Riley and I was honestly surprised of how good it was.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I thought it was funny too, but calling it a John C Reilly movie really does a disservice to Aubrey Plaza, Alison Brie and Kate Micucci.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I don't think people watching King of the Hill are the correct audience for all of those Peloton comericals I keep getting.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Slobby's World on Netflix had an interesting concept as basically a Pawn Stars style show for 80s and 90s pop culture but the owner makes me want to jump off a bridge. Also curious what his username is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

Slobby's World on Netflix had an interesting concept as basically a Pawn Stars style show for 80s and 90s pop culture but the owner makes me want to jump off a bridge. Also curious what his username is.

Is it like the insufferable Kevin Smith show where he and his buddies non-stop trash some poor fucker asking more than $1.50 for his Spiderman #1?

Pawn Stars ended up being a kind of trashy version of Antiques Roadshow where you got to hear about some neat history in 5-minute chunks so I'm actually alright with that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Alterian posted:

I don't think people watching King of the Hill are the correct audience for all of those Peloton comericals I keep getting.

Yeah when I was on the 9th episode of Future Man in one sitting and got the 800th Peleton commercial I said to the TV "do the math, bro"

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Fallom posted:

Is it like the insufferable Kevin Smith show where he and his buddies non-stop trash some poor fucker asking more than $1.50 for his Spiderman #1?

Pawn Stars ended up being a kind of trashy version of Antiques Roadshow where you got to hear about some neat history in 5-minute chunks so I'm actually alright with that.

It's more he's just a 400lb white dude covered in fake Gucci digging through trash and selling it for 100x markup

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I’d probably pay around $10/month for a new episode of Terrace House each week tbh

But they would need to add subtitles to the Japanese audio description/couch commentary or no sale

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like Netflix, but if they ever go past the $15 mark I'll probably start subbing ala carte when something I want to watch gets released. Even $13 is pushing it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

enigmahfc posted:

So quick question: how are the commercials in the base sub? Commercials don't bother me the way they seem to do with some people but movies aren't interrupted for them or anything, right?

I've had basic Hulu service since 2010 and I still don't understand how their commercials work. Sometimes a show has a couple short commercials at each commercial break. Sometimes there may be commercials at the first break and none the rest of the show. Other times I've been marathoning through a TV show and the first episode each night had commercials and then multiple episodes without commercials. When it does that, it will pause briefly and skip onto the next segment and just keep going.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You (on Netflix) is definitely not a romantic drama like I thought it would be. I can appreciate a show making the protagonist a psychopathic creep and not making him all that likable.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The MSJ posted:

You (on Netflix) is definitely not a romantic drama like I thought it would be. I can appreciate a show making the protagonist a psychopathic creep and not making him all that likable.

That's one way You succeeded where Dexter failed.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Grudgerm posted:

My brother recommended me “The Little Hours” with John c Riley and I was honestly surprised of how good it was.

It's a very, very funny movie. It's actually based on like a 13th century Italian novel, written during the middle of the plague. Apparently it's actually as raunchy and funny as the movie is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know you aren't supposed to like the main guy in You, but he was so goddamn annoying I couldn't finish the first episode.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Medullah posted:

I'm 10 minutes into the last episode of Future Man s2 and this is going to end up being a game show, isn't it

I just finished s2 last night and I don't know how obvious it was to everyone else, but it took me pretty hard by surprise. Overall, though, it was a good second season, and I bet Haley Joel Osment is a bit sad he won't be in the next season (I know it's still possible he could show back up), but I'm sure he had fun being relevant again.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Grudgerm posted:

which service is it on? I've been meaning to watch it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Loky11 posted:

which service is it on? I've been meaning to watch it.

Netflix.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I enjoyed The Little Hours. Plaza steals the show, but I’m a big Micucci fan and loved her character. Brie is great too, and Fred Armison got some big laughs. Very pleasant comedy.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

InterrupterJones posted:

and I bet Haley Joel Osment is a bit sad he won't be in the next season (I know it's still possible he could show back up), but I'm sure he had fun being relevant again.

Hey, Haley Joel Osment's been making money off of the Kingdom Hearts franchise for the past 17 years.
:sora:

Watched Hulu's Fyre Festival doc yesterday, and it was ridiculous, particularly the bits with Billy McFarland on camera. I'm interested in what track the Netflix one will take, since Elliot Tebele is an exec producer on that.

If you want something silly, Catwalk is a documentary on Hulu about competitive cat shows; and part of what kept me so riveted was how goddamn salty one of the women progressively got about point margins separating her cat and another woman's cat for first place.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

If there are any other goons who have skipped The Shield for whatever reason, go to Hulu and start a marathon. I'm halfway through season 2 and it's the best thing I've watched since The Wire.

I've known of the show, but at some point I got it in my head it was originally on one of the big three and assumed it would be a watered-down poo poo fest. Luckily, I finally gave it a whirl and discovered how wrong I was.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mammal Sauce posted:

If there are any other goons who have skipped The Shield for whatever reason, go to Hulu and start a marathon. I'm halfway through season 2 and it's the best thing I've watched since The Wire.

I've known of the show, but at some point I got it in my head it was originally on one of the big three and assumed it would be a watered-down poo poo fest. Luckily, I finally gave it a whirl and discovered how wrong I was.

You know, this is me and I should probably get around to that at some point.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Mammal Sauce posted:

The great thing is that season 2 is probably the weakest season for the shield and the last three seasons are basically solid A+ across the board and it has the best series finale ever. So in closing :rms:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The shield is so loving good. If you haven’t seen it you really should.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I actually stopped watching the Shield because it was too stressful. Every episode felt like the house of cards was just about to come down

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Thanks guys, all of you bringing up The Shield made me finally realize that for years I've been confusing it with that Dennis Haysbert show The Unit.

I'm finally gonna give The Shield a watch.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mammal Sauce posted:

It’s easily #2 for that type of show (I don’t know how you beat The Wire). I didn’t know much of anything about it before I watched except it starred a bald dude or something but it’s absolutely top tier. Those last couple of episodes really go places and it all comes back to the pilot episode.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I suggest mst3k's Mac and me episode

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Grudgerm posted:

It's good and everyone should watch it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

I suggest mst3k's Mac and me episode

pretty niiice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

david_a posted:

It’s easily #2 for that type of show (I don’t know how you beat The Wire). I didn’t know much of anything about it before I watched except it starred a bald dude or something but it’s absolutely top tier. Those last couple of episodes really go places and it all comes back to the pilot episode.

They get compared a lot but to me they're so different that it's hard to compare them in a way that's fair to either of them. The Wire is social commentary writ large and executed with unsurpassed vision and care. The Shield is like the best "gritty" cop graphic novel ever written that was perfectly made into a TV show. It's hard to imagine two police-oriented shows that are more different.

That said, The Wire kicks the ever-loving poo poo out of The Shield.