Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
OEMs can’t update their phones because they are dependent on chip makers.

1) google releases an android release, with some kernel.
2) chip vendor forks that, makes it work on their chip with their proprietary drivers.
3) phone vendor forks that, adds drivers for their phone hardware.

chip vendors don’t give a poo poo about last year’s chips. those are already sold. they are working on shipping next year’s chips with next year’s android. they don’t have a relationship with the end users. updating does not benefit them in any way, it just costs them money. so stage 2 never gets updated for any chipset that’s already on the market, and that’s why android phones never get kernel updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Management posted:

OEMs can’t update their phones because they are dependent on chip makers.

1) google releases an android release, with some kernel.
2) chip vendor forks that, makes it work on their chip with their proprietary drivers.
3) phone vendor forks that, adds drivers for their phone hardware.

chip vendors don’t give a poo poo about last year’s chips. those are already sold. they are working on shipping next year’s chips with next year’s android. they don’t have a relationship with the end users. updating does not benefit them in any way, it just costs them money. so stage 2 never gets updated for any chipset that’s already on the market, and that’s why android phones never get kernel updates.

this is what delusional apple brownshirts actually believe

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 17, 2019

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I mean , I believe it based on observation. This observation is skewed by the “it still works fine so I just keep using <6 year old phone>” and “I turned off/don’t want updates that poo poo breaks/slows down/changes things” groups .

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol. if you have some evidence otherwise, we'd love to see it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we would?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

didn't know android maker htc was an apple brownshirt

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
are the different android versions (e.g. "marshmallow", "nougat", etc) not different kernel versions? b/c my nexus 5x went from 6.0 to 8.0 (8.1? can't remember)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you know you can actually, like, go look at the source code for android and see exactly how its update mechanism works, right?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Lutha Mahtin posted:

oh word?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

are the different android versions (e.g. "marshmallow", "nougat", etc) not different kernel versions? b/c my nexus 5x went from 6.0 to 8.0 (8.1? can't remember)

no, they're just cutesie names for various versions that don't really correspond to anything. e.g. 4.0 was ice cream sandwich, 4.1-4.3 were all jelly bean and 4.4 was kit kat. each of these had multiple api levels.

they do generally update the kernel with each release, but as noted above, phones getting a update don't get the kernel update and instead everything is backported to the older kernel. donut and eclair had the same kernel. to get a new kernel you have to buy a new phone. (nexuses May be different here)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

android oems are no longer beholden to chip makers to be able to release os updates, at least.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
its kinda funny that binary drivers on an open source kernel is creating more e-waste than a fully closed source ecosystem

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not really? Open source software (and, to a lesser extent, hardware) is incredibly wasteful because it's predominantly made by incompetent amateurs with no budget, scope or timeline

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if it were worth anything it wouldn't be free

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Not really? Open source software (and, to a lesser extent, hardware) is incredibly wasteful because it's predominantly made by incompetent amateurs with no budget, scope or timeline

sagebrush please stop signing your posts with my identity, it's really causing a lot of confusion.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

like google

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what open source software does google make these days?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

android is still open sores

it's just even more unusable without the closed source parts

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Endless Mike posted:

I mean: wouldn't you be? I'd imagine butchers don't eat a lot of sausage?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i like that the android phone is pooped out of the android in that infographic

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

updates are stored in the balls

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sagebrush posted:

in this it is totally different from proprietary software, which is predominantly made by incompetent professionals with impossibly optimistic budget, scope, and timeline

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

timeline: move fast, break things

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Endless Mike posted:

lol according to this three different companies (at least) are required to make an update for an android phone

no wonder they never get updates

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

lol according to this three different companies (at least) are required to make an update for an android phone

no wonder they never get updates

i like the terminal state buried 30% of the way down after step 5: chipset manufacturer says "lol no thx" and no updates for anyone

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Android updates haven't worked that way in a while now

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Celexi posted:

Android updates haven't worked that way in a while now

Androids don't generally get updates

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Celexi posted:

Android updates haven't worked [...] in a while now

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Celexi posted:

[Haven't] Android updates [...]

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
[Tell] Me When My Android Device Will Get Updated

0 replies

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
so if that huge flowchart isn’t accurate anymore, what’s it like now?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

youve still got the problem with qualcomm not supporting older socs but starting a few versions ago the big oems get involved with the update as google is developing it to shorten their time modifying it and starting with the devices in the last year or so a much better abstraction layer has been implemented so that updates can be done that dont need qualcomms cooperation but there hasnt been enough time with that to see if its improved things

involving the oems did speed up updates by about a year so your major phones are generally only about six months out of date now. ofc security updates come more often but then its been shown they also lie about whether they fixed anything so they cant be trusted

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

project treble defined stable abi's, so upgrades now don't require driver updates and thus needs no soc vendor involvement. you'll still want to get on android one (i.e. clean install which gets updates pushed by google on schedule) to reliably get the advantage of it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so they fixed upgrades by ensure that the kernel could never under any circumstances be upgraded?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

so they fixed upgrades by ensure that the kernel could never under any circumstances be upgraded?

Why on good green earth would any carrier conspire with an osp to give the consumer options?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not entirely accurate, but, sure, so? like, rhel fixes the kernel for a full decade at a time, why would you expend any effort or risk any regression by switching around kernels on a device which is hugely unlikely to survive more than a third of that period? it is absolutely the correct choice to just have a cycle of kernels but lock each device onto one which it can be fully validated on, it is *incredibly* rare that new kernels will offer any feature which an end user would notice or appreciate

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

okay, so android only gets userland updates, maybe, but it doesn't matter because the phones are disposable anyway.

yeah, that scans

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

okay, so android only gets userland updates, maybe, but it doesn't matter because the phones are disposable anyway.

yeah, that scans

it doesn't matter because kernel (feature level) updates give you absolutely nothing of value to an actual phone user or app developer

and, yeah, if redhat can keep a kernel running for 10 years so can google, and 10 years is a sufficient lifetime for a phone for the foreseeable future. it is a good plan (which is however not the actual plan, google has a whole towering set of abstractions which are meant to make it possible to indeed swap kernels freely as well, which i doubt will ever get used but makes treble so complicated that i doubt it'll actually stick in the long run)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

by coincidence one of the android blogs just had an article looking into whether updates are coming any quicker the answer? yes except they didnt count the 2 of 3 oems who have yet to release the relevant update against the average so its faster for samsung and huawei and lg are still at least half a year behind current

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LastInLine posted:

by coincidence one of the android blogs just had an article looking into whether updates are coming any quicker the answer? yes except they didnt count the 2 of 3 oems who have yet to release the relevant update against the average so its faster for samsung and huawei and lg are still at least half a year behind current

wait so it faster for samsung and huawei, or just samsung?